5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
King's Knight [M][C/Kyle]
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2023 5:29:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Every time Josh took a patrol route on 120 since that fateful day last month, faint, fleeting memories of him serving as one of the greatest knights of King 's army in Hammerlocke flooded his mind. It was overcast but dry near the Ancient Tomb, the site of their bitter battle with Ting-Lu and Chien-Pao. The site where they both were trapped in an alternate timeline for two decades. The site where Josh got to spend ten years with the Beast he loved... as long as he didn't leave Hammerlocke.

He missed Raikou.

"Your Maj... er, Kyle..." Josh sheepishly corrected himself, seated on his Manectric's back, "thanks again for doing this for me. I don't know how much of it was real, but... yeah. I rode Raikou into battle that day, and I felt I made a real difference." Setting his Manectric's reins down, he slid off his Pokémon and gave the electric wolf a big hug, which the Pokémon returned with a whimper of understanding. Being his Sygna Pokémon, the two truly understood one another, even if Josh wasn't wearing his suit.

"About the only thing that's kept me going anymore is working at my Gym. pulled some real crazy stuff to commute my sentence. It seems like nothing else has gone my way. I'm the laughing stock of AQUA: Sapphire for the whole Raikou thing. Moreover, I've hit a complete brick wall with my Champion Assessment. It's ."

{WC: 244}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Raikiri       Zeraora        Good
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 4:24:51 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
it's a simple patrol, but it might as well be an excuse just to fill up his schedule since kyle knows the chances of encountering those dogs were next do zero. one thing he appreciates with josh was that he never fails to keep things from being awkwardly silent.

he does feel a bit guilty when he's uncertain of the responses he gives to the gym leader though.

"i'll be honest, josh. you're weird. unusual. you're easy to read in a crowd of people who keep to their own. it's not necessarily bad, but it just means you stand out."

that part was obvious since the infantile days of josh's career within the league's gym circuit.

"people who stand out, well, are easier to judge after all."

mentioning his assessment with callan does turn kyle curious about the issue. he's never really cared about the process before, but if it's brought up, he might as well pry.

"and what exactly is the brick wall?" he asks.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2023 9:01:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Easy to read was as blunt as the DYNAMIC PUNCH of a Machamp. It was one of the reasons Josh wore a mask whenever he played poker. The number of facial tells people could pick up on him otherwise would get him laughed out of even the most recreational poker rooms. "I've gotten used to standing out," Josh agreed with the Top Champion. "Dramatic entrances, wild dreams... it's just how I am. Recognition means a lot to me... which is probably why I haven't gotten a pay bump as a Gym Leader yet. Remember, I used to be a semi-pro athlete looking to turn pro before I took on the position of Mauville Gym Leader. I'm used to the glitz. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed it."

When asked about Callan, Josh was quick to spill his guts about his frustrations with... well, all of the Elite Four, but Callan in particular. "My matches with and were at least close. I think that by studying my matches with them, I can at least beat them. But Callan? He's on a whole different level." The Gym Leader paused to collect his thoughts, Saber understanding exactly what he was thinking and trying to reassure him with more affection. "If our match at the Battle Arcade last year was any indication, he's Champion material, one hundred percent. In any of your challenges as a Gym Leader, Elite Four, or as the Top Champion, have you ever managed a perfect battle, where none of your Pokémon take a single hit? Cause that's what he did to me."

It was clear that the battle was a traumatic experience for Josh, beyond an ordinary loss. "It's his Slaking. There's something special about it. Something I've never seen before. Their strength is held back by their need to take frequent breathers in battle. His, though... his showed no sign of the species' typical laziness at all. It acted faster than all of my Pokémon, and completely swept my team like dominoes. You would think Ghost-types to be a good answer to that, but that plays into the Trick Room strategy I faced when I challenged him while he was a Gym Leader. I... I'm at a loss."

{WC: 373}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2023 8:09:56 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he's faced the slaking before. he could tell where the frustration of the gym leader comes from.

"it's a gimmick," kyle tells josh, plain and simple. "it's something he can pull off because of the consequences of the strange happenings here on hoenn. there's little you could have done unless you're prepared for it, which is difficult since people nowadays have a bunch of teams to rotate with."

kyle had been a similar kind of trainer, made easier with smeargle, but overtime, he phased it out of his repertoire. it didn't equate to fun for both parties, nor did it look cool for the audience.

"on the other hand, yours is easy to prepare against."

they both know it's the case.

"did you have more fun with his challenge, or with melody and matias'?" he asks, but he doesn't wait for a reply. "at the end of the day, the gym challenge is just a training regimen. edging you to cusp of victory before turning it around gives you an opportunity to test your limits, and as you said, find our where you can improve."

he looks up to the sky as he finds words for an ending remark.

"if you're running out of options even after reflecting on the results of the match, then i suppose it's time for you to step out of your comfort zone."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2023 3:28:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"A gimmick... no more of a gimmick than high speed... that's one way to put it, isn't it?" Come to think of it, this had to be how many of his challengers felt. He was the Master of Faster for a reason. While not having seen each other in a direct competition, Josh knew from his measurements that Raikiri in particular could compete with even some legendary Pokémon known for their speed. Having ridden on Suicune's back, he knew first-hand that the two were comparable. "You're not the only one; I have dozens of Pokémon at Mauville Racing Grounds myself." Kyle's point about there being little he could do to prepare for it at the time sunk in. "You're not wrong. The problem isn't the Slaking in a vacuum, nor the Trick Room strategy he used against me last time. It's the two in tandem that I'm having trouble finding a solution for."

Yes, preparing for Josh's battle style wasn't too challenging on paper. With every loss he took, though, he was learning more about how trainers of all skill levels dealt with his extreme speed. "Not as much anymore. I've learned a lot, both from Callan and from you. It's just Callan's two approaches together that caused trouble. I'm sure there are four Pokémon that will serve as a solution. I have a Dragapult that should, in theory, handle the Slaking well." In theory. He was unsure if HYPER-ADAPT, like his own HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE, could transcend the material and rend the ethereal, nullifying the Ghost-type's defensive advantage as his move did the Ground-type's immunity to electricity. "Like I said, it's the two put together that's the problem."

The more he thought about it, the more he realized how much was correct. "You know, Melody told me something similar after our close match. I had so much fun battling Melody. And I would have had more fun against Matias if I didn't hate his guts right now. I know the whole Eris thing was ultimately me failing to control myself. I'm not going to say he wasn't a string-puller, though. He knows what I want and what I'm willing to do to make it happen, and used me for his own ends." Kyle may have already been aware of the animosity between the two during their trip to Galar.

"You mean... play the long game?" Josh sheepishly asked. He had several Pokémon capable of playing the long game, such as Nitro, but that Slaking overpowered even such a defensive threat. "Slaking are already geared to combat that. Thunder Wave didn't slow his down one bit; if anything, it made it stronger. And with only the Elite Four and Champion having the freedom to swap Pokémon mid-battle, it effectively makes his entire team immune to such tactics. At least that's how I understand the Champion Assessment; any Pokémon the challenger withdraws is considered to be out of the battle."

{WC: 496}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2023 16:37:49 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"you talk like matias is a mastermind," he chuckles, amused. "he's a simpleminded person whose words don't match what he actually feels. it's easy to misunderstand what he means when even he, himself, doesn't know what he wants."

it's an oversimplification of , but kyle has a read on his friend, understanding the reasons why his reputation is seemingly irredeemable.

"did you overthink what he said?" he takes a shot in the dark, taking in account of both of his friends' personalities. "the trick with talking to him is not take his words at face value. he's really, hmm, vulnerable once you get to know him."

he could somehow find himself talking about matias for long periods of time, but he catches himself. "but enough with him!"

they're here for a different subject.

"i meant, just try out a different approach, even if it isn't exactly that! look for the most niche moves. perhaps you're overthinking again and the solution's easier than you could imagine." he has a few moves that he could mention, but he decides against it. "i'd help you with it, but isn't the fun being able to conquer it on your own?"

still, he can't help himself but give a hint.

"the solution isn't limited to overpowering with status effects or raw force, nor is it exploiting weaknesses. that's the kyle way, at least."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 5:51:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Matias just a front, you say..." Josh trailed off. It was in great contrast to himself, a young man who was honorable and honest to a fault, often putting his cards face-up on the table. He read people in the same way: at face value. While it worked well for most people, those in seats of power had hidden sides to them, requiring a much deeper dig to find their true feelings. Matias was certainly in that category.

"That's... that's exactly what Melody told me to do," Josh nodded. "And to a lesser extent, Callan, as well. I don't think Callan is a bad person. Just intimidating." He nodded at Kyle incentivizing Josh to figure out a plan all on his own. Perhaps a path not about raw power, or even leaving the the foe's entire team paralyzed. "Being a Gym Leader requires me to have a large variety of Pokémon. I'm sure I can get a brand new squad ready by the time I'm able to battle Callan again."

As the two passed by the Ancient Tomb, memories of the false Galar flooded back into his mind. "That blue wolf Pokémon were fast. Really fast. I wonder how they would compare to Raikou."

{WC: 206}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 1:33:07 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
slowing down the racer in josh gives kyle hopes for how he takes things in the future. stepping on the brakes at opportune moments was part of the formula, as josh should recognize.

"brand new or not, make sure you get to know the limits of your pokemon before you step in," he reminds him. "it's probably obvious, but i figured i might as well mention. you get excited easily after tall."

much like how he got excited about zacian and zamazenta.

"i'm not sure," he answers. "they do carry a personal weapon around, so i figure they must be slowed down by that."

they don't seem to, though.

"but if they're really still on hoenn, then i'm sure we can have another chance of gauging how they fare against a legendary beast of johto."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 22:29:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's new approach to his second round of the Elite Four wasn't without speed. Speed was still his forte, and he would be a fool not to take advantage of his strongest aspect of Pokémon combat. It just wouldn't be the only thing he would find himself reliant on going forward. It was a lesson that losing to all four of Hoenn's Elites had at last beat through his thick, stubborn skull.

"Of course," Josh answered. "It's a very different battle style, and my Pokémon have to get used to it. Once my schedulers move some of my appointments around, I'll have a time slot dedicated to practicing the new tactics." Outspeeding every opponent was Josh's style, but it was not a sustainable one. Competitive battle was a long, drawn-out affair at the highest levels, and going in with the pedal to the metal was a great way to run out of gas. Their new style would be slow and methodical from the beginning, though it would kick things into high gear when the time was right. It would leave them with the fuel they needed to cross the finish line.

A sort of reverse speed trap, for lack of a better concept.

Josh's smile grew at the mention of the Johto Beasts. "Then we'll need to keep our skills sharp with them, right? How about a run through northeastern Hoenn, then?" Direct and to the point - typical Josh. It was evident from the beginning that he just wanted to see Raikou again. Deep down, be still believed Raikou was out there, seeking a partner that he hoped was him. He had simply resolved to let such a wild desire no longer control him. If he got violent again over it, the League would give him no second chances. "...That is, if you will it, Your Majesty."

This time, the reference to the events of the alternate Galar were fully intentional.

{WC: 323}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 3:26:29 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he smiles. this was nostalgic.

he recalls his pokemon, and with a tap of his foot, silhouettes of suicune and raikou appear from the ashes.

"don't get too excited, alright?" that was josh's reaction every time, regardless of how much time he had spent with the beasts of johto. "you don't want your pokemon to get jealous," he teases.

they probably were used to their trainer's childhood springing back up to the surface every once in a while already. at the end of the day, it was just teasing.

kyle takes his seat on suicune, giving it a light pat at the side of head.

he turns to the gym leader as he waits for him to take raikou. it was always the same routine, but he knows it wouldn't get old for the fanboy in him. "take the lead, josh."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 5:53:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

Josh was excited to see Raikou, though he wasn't squealing like a fanboy as he did the first time. The events of the trip to Galar, as well as those of his restitution, had caused him to mature quite a bit. He still gave the Beast a big hug before mounting up, but he wasn't as giddy as he was before. Kyle may have been able to tell it was a sign of his maturity - his acceptance that he did not need to be Raikou's Avatar to make a difference in Hoenn. Though his contributions to the Battle of Dewford were minimal, his speed was still integral in the success of a number of League operations. They were just nothing absolutely mission critical.

While Saber insisted on being withdrawn to his Poké Ball, full well knowing he could not keep up with the legendary Pokémon of his trainer's dreams, Raikiri seemed eager to compete. "Heh, I think Raikiri wants to race Raikou and Suicune," Josh said to Kyle, seeing the electric blues against the whites of the Zeraora's passionate eyes.

Seated on Raikou and leaning low in the thundercloud saddle, Josh spread his legs wide and squeezed the electric tiger's sides. "Hyah!" With that, the thundercats were off, the winding road of Route 120 no match for them. "If there's any Pokémon that can track down those two big dogs, Kyle, it's these two." He wanted to carry on conversion with Kyle as long as possible; once they got to a certain speed, communication between them would be difficult, if not impossible. For now, he kept the speed reasonable, but it was clear that at the right moment, he wanted to have Raikou floor it.

{WC: 287}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2023 23:21:54 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"that could be the case, but i'm not sure if that's going to happen."

it's a nice thought to have, but...

"i don't even know if they have autonomy to- if they're simply obedient to a fault or if they're tied to my will as an avatar."

regardless of his status as an avatar, kyle was ultimately still a human. should the latter be the case, limitations of his facilities would mean that beasts of legends would be bogged down by imperfections of his own. otherwise, underestimating himself becomes yet another folly of himself.

"either way, i bet those two would only show up when they want to show up." he holds onto suicune as its legs carry him across the region. "this whole thing could be pointless, but i could also be wrong."

zacian and zamazenta's escape reminds him of entei, who he knows would have acted similarly.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 22:12:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had met with many League Avatars through his duries as a Gym Leader, and was quickly discovering that every Avatarship was different. Each was its own beast. He did bring up a point; these two were blank slates, both extensions of the Emergent's will and would listen to their riders' every command. Even if he were to meet and befriend Raikou, would it be a true friendship, the Beast at his beck and call? With the natures of the many legendary Pokémon he had met throughout his travels alongside those high up in the League, he had his doubts. There was a nagging feeling that Raikou, or any other legendary that would notice him, would control him.

It was part of the reason Josh had to take a step back and focus on what he could do. Plus, he was good enough friends with Kyle that any time he wanted to hop on Raikou's back and ride around Hoenn, he could, as long as the frequency was reasonable. In the memory of Galar, he had carved a trail of electric death from the thundercloud saddle. While it was a triumphant moment for him, he had to let it go and understand that it was a one-off. He couldn't rely on Kyle letting him saddle up his Raikou for every battle. He had to be able to fight on his own, and that was much of the purpose of him taking the Champion Assessment.

"It is in large part how the gods operate, is it not?" Josh rhetorically asked. "We have to try, though; as a liaison for SAPPHIRE, it's one of my duties for the League. We have to keep tabs on them and try to prevent Rocket from gaining any more Avatars."

The path before them began to widen and straighten out as the Ancient Tomb came back into view. "This is as good of a spot as ever. I'm ready to go fast. What about you? I want to see how much I've improved since last December." How well could he control the thundercat's EXTREME SPEED this time?

{WC: 352}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,446 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2023 1:44:02 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"just be careful about poking too much on their business," he reminds him. "they're here for a purpose. if they misinterpret your actions as against theirs, who knows how they might react."

as king, that's how he interpreted the heroes of many battles' personalities.

he gets himself comfortable on top of the suicune. there's no proper handle or foothold, but confidence rises when it comes with the beasts under his command.

"alright, i think i'm ready."

suicune breaks the easygoing atmosphere with a howl. tailwind blows from behind them, which was one of the most ideal conditions for the racer.

kyle turns to josh, tilts his head, smiles and then bolts forward with his suicune.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2023 4:25:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The monarch's reminder was a stark but important one for the Mauville Gym Leader once so eager to wholly devote his life to Raikou. Divine power had nothing to do with why he wanted the bond with the Johto legendary Pokémon. Having spoken with about it many times before, the Birdfather's relationship with Tornadus was closer to what Josh's desire deep down was. Through the Gym Challenge, had taught him just how little control Avatars can have over their own powers. Raikou's legendary status had nothing to do with why Josh liked the electric tiger so much; it mostly had to do with the unparalleled land speed the striped Pokémon boasted. Speed Josh was about to command from the Beast-familiar.

"Of course," Josh answered. "I'm just kicking myself that it took speaking to the Commissioner to truly understand that." The verbal thumbs-up was all Josh needed as Suicune's TAILWIND roared from behind, trees creaking in wholly unnatural ways. "Let's ride!" It was that fierce wind, growing in intensity as Suicune accelerated, that allowed it to keep up with the Beast of Thunder.

Josh's smile grew to a grin, sounding a loud whoop as the force of his mount's lunge threw him against the back of the purple thundercloud mane. The two Beasts performed an elegant dance of wind and lightning, each tree whipping past them in a thunderclap. The Galarian king's knight marveled upon seeing the glint of the tiger's claws when its legs were fully outstretched, showcasing just how powerful Raikou's running stroke was. He tilted his head toward the Avatar and nodded twice - the signal for them to enter EXTREME SPEED together. In a powerful leap, Raikou soared high above Route 120, giving Josh a wonderful view of the Ancient Tomb, Safari Zone, and even Lilycove City. The Gym Leader wrapped his arms around Raikou's outer thundercloud tufts and held on with everything he had. He had once described being astride Raikou as like riding on a lightning bolt.

The Beast was about to give him that experience.

{WC: 344}
{PC: 8}