6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fuel and Fresh Paws [M][C/Milo]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2023 8:42:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With Josh's racing class today having to be rescheduled, needing to be combined with a future class due to a lack of signups, the Gym Leader had a rare void in his schedule. It did not take him long to fill that void, though; Aslan badly wanted to race again. Having spent two months in a cast and two months in rehab last year into early this year, he wanted to run like the wind again. Unfortunately, he would never achieve the speeds he once did, but that was okay! There was still plenty of room for improvement in other ways, such as distance running.

Josh had the perfect race course for it, too: UNDULATION, located in Sector 4 on the far north end of the property. Its mogul-like terrain was extremely unpredictable and required Pokémon to have monstrous stamina to complete quickly. Aslan, the Shiny Pyroar Josh was astride, bellowed to take command of his pride: Simba, Kovu, Nala, and the most recent addition to the pride: Rani, the female Nala had given birth to earlier. The intense training regiment Josh gave her induced Rani to evolve at quite a young age. The manes of the five saddled lions whipped about in the brisk but not overwhelming wind. Near them was Craggro, a rather rotund Hisuian Arcanine Josh had brought out to get some exercise and work off that fat. It was a real balancing act finding foods that were high in nutrition, yet low enough in calories that the Arcanine would metabolize them and not store them as fat.

ACE SHEEKE, ARAVAN ESCHER, and ERON IUNIS, the red-headed, blue-headed, and white-headed Gym Trainers, had gathered to take some of Josh's Pyroar for a ride around the course and give both Aslan and Rani a challenge. There was supposed to be a fourth, , as well. Now where was he?

{WC: 312}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Craggro         H!Arcanine        Obese
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good 
Simba           Pyroar            Good 
Kovu            Pyroar            Good
Nala            Pyroar            Good
Rani            Pyroar            Good
close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
pressure cooker's got me runnin out
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2023 22:01:05 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo smiled at the sight of Josh. He seemed so busy. So hard to get ahold of these days. So... unapproachable. While Milo tried and failed to outrun his past, while he tried to go on hiatus and disappear from the public... Everyone he knew kept learning and growing. Everyone lapped him. Kouji, Michael, Ashley... Josh especially. He was the most driven, confident man he knew.

Milo had to return to that fork in the road in his life. Maybe that was the paradigm shift, the "reset" he needed. In either case, there he was by the side of the track. Sitting idly by on a nearby rock, with his Liepard's tail swishing back and forth. He wore a grey tech-fleece hoodie, black track-pants, and a skater's white sneakers. "It's been too long. I'm sure you didn't think you'd see me again."

He said, mouth clearly full. He tried to blow a bubble with that nicotine gum, getting a perfect sphere before jamming it back in his mouth. He stood from the rock, and teased his grown-out hair. Milo smirked, then whistled and mounted his Liepard. His eyes looked hollow, but the two of them were more muscular and sinewy, cyclist-like than ever.

“Another dirt-road with hills on the side. I missed this, more than I'd like to admit, Josh.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2023 4:28:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Now that was a face Josh wasn't expecting to see; he had only had 's name. The name sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Now he knew why. This was the same Milo, better known as the Drift King, that had nearly taken Twilight away from him at Chimney Canyon. "So it... it really is you," Josh slowly greeted the racer dressed in black and grey. He was dressed in racing gear of his own; vibrant yellows and purples, the same color scheme as the legendary Pokémon he idolized. "I never thought I'd see you again after I brought you in for arrest. I'm glad to see you turn a new leaf, Milo. Has it been a whole year already?"

The Liepard mount was tall, exceed the size of Luna, Josh's own Liepard. The extreme size could possibly have been the largest of its kind in all of Hoenn. "As you can see, I've got an entire pride of Pyroar now, all ready for the circuit. Except Aslan here; he suffered some pretty serious injuries months ago and I'm only just now getting him ready to race again." The shiny Pyroar raised a paw to greet Milo and his Liepard that looked impatient and ready to run; Craggro the Arcanine looked much less so. "These four, which you might not recognize, are Simba, Kovu, Nala, and Rani. They're the pride of my Gym."

{WC: 240}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2023 6:19:05 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo shook his head. So it really is you. He stepped forward, reaching a hand out to shake Josh's hand. He then felt like he had to clear the air. "Hate to break it to ya...... I have no clue what's really me anymore. Maybe this was. Maybe it was the whole time."

Milo continued to gnaw at that gum, trying to keep it together. He had a tendency to make things more confusing the more he spoke. He arched a brow, before nodding. "Certainly feels like it's been a year. I couldn't tell you though. My days kinda... bleed together."

He said, right as that lion slowly approached him. Milo bent at the knee, before kneeling and reaching out with a hand. At the mention of his injuries, his expression softened. His Liepard circled the two, before sitting at Milo's feet.

“Gym? Sounds like you're doing well for yourself. I'm glad to hear that.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2023 20:16:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh accepted the handshake, happy to see Milo seemingly turn over a new leaf. "Long as you've learned your lesson and use your racing talent for good instead of evil, I'd be happy to help you with what it is you need!" A barrel of positivity Josh was... to everyone except himself. He put immense pressure to make as many people happy as possible, even at his own expense. What tremendous mental fortitude such a stressful point of view required to maintain. If he ever snapped under the pressure, though, nothing good would come out of it. If the Eris debacle showed what happened when Josh snapped... he didn't want to think about it anymore. He was still living with the consequences of that decision, and of his intense pursuit of Raikou. While he no longer loved Raikou above all else, it was still high on his list.

"You didn't see the League logo on the signs outside? Mauville Racing Grounds is also Mauville City Gym. I'm the Leader here. Name's Josh Devlin if you don't remember me!" he introduced himself with a beaming expression on his face. "Your Liepard looks just as fast as before! I still vividly remember racing them with my Absol. Thought I was gonna lose her forever! But that's a thing of the past. Now, ready to go for a ride around the course? I want to help Aslan and the rest of my pride get their skills up to snuff, especially Aslan." The purring of the five lions was quite loud, perhaps even unintentionally intimidating. The species was a dangerous one, mounts that could tear their prey to shreds in seconds, and were fast enough for very few Pokémon to reliably flee them. Josh's lions in particular were so fast that they could not go full speed on the highway with breaking the speed limit there.

{WC: 313}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2023 7:06:41 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo felt antsy. While he put Josh and the life of his beloved Absol in peril a year ago, this was a chance to play together. To not feel like he had to play for keeps. "What I needed the whole time was this. Pure adrenaline. No other motives on my part. Man-to-man, you and me."

Milo slowly circled his Liepard. He hadn't a saddle, he hadn't anything, really. He ran a hand down her back, looking up at Josh. "...I can't justify what I did to you. To your community. Everything else in my life at the time though... I did what I had to. And I don't have to anymore."

He said, feeling a knot in his gut form at a lie told with that wistful face he wore when he talked about community and what he needed. His life was spiraling, perhaps even further than when he posed a real threat to Josh. Just thinking about it stung. He dug in his pocket for another piece of nicotine gum.

Another glance at his lion. "I'm concerned about his health. But if you all want this... You can have it. I taught her a few new tricks."

Milo dramatically kicked a leg out. He fanned out his now chin-length hair, and sat atop his Liepard. He couldn't help but smirk as he boasted.

“I'll take off when you say 'go'.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 17:57:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Drift King had indeed turned a new leaf, prompting Josh to smile toward him. This was exactly the kind of talent Josh wanted to see when he let the now-reformed criminal off easy. It was living proof that even hard hearts can be convinced to cease their evil ways. Well, most anyway. There were some within Rocket that wouldn't give up their positions of power over their frozen corpses. came to mind.

"I got one better for you. I'll initiate the starting sequence I use for the Gym challenge," Josh replied with a smirk as he saw Milo ride his Liepard bareback. What thigh strength and sheer bravery it took to do so; that purple cat's back might start flexing hard when they got going. Even with the saddles designed to reduce the impact of the flexing backs of the Pyroar, it was still bouncier than sitting astride an Arcanine or Rapidash.

Once the racers and Pokémon were lined up, three images of the legendary Pokémon Raikou at full gallop appeared on the banner monitor above the starting arch. Behind them was a "GET READY" prompt, Josh and his Gym Trainers tensing their legs in anticipation. The first of the three images began to fade away, with it sounding a loud squawk as a simultaneous aural warning that the race was about to begin. A second, then a third followed. When the final image of Raikou disappeared, the prompt changed to a green "GO" alongside a longer and higher-pitched squawk. Josh squeezed Aslan's sides, the lions and their riders shooting down the opening stretch. Rani and Craggro were the only two whose saddles remained empty.

UNDULATION, as its name suggested, was a course filled with troughs and peaks so harsh that one could not see over the top of them easily until passing them up. One moment, riders would feel their own weight pushing them into their Pokémon; the next, they would feel their own weight leaving them as their mounts raced downhill. Balance would be a big issue...

{WC: 344}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 5:55:27 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo felt a familiar buzz between his ears. He couldn't help but draw up a wicked smile. The wind tousled his hair and caressed him. His "thinking" died, and in its place there was only feeling. Man-to-man and man-to-road.

Milo nodded. He felt a weird ease. Like Josh had nothing to worry about. Like the thing that's eating him could slow down and digest what's gone. "I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd be offended if you held back."

He said, slowly gnawing as the gum lost its flavor. Mint oil coated his mouth, giving the impression that he'd just brushed his teeth. Liepard's hind legs curled up, and front legs remained stationary.

Milo dramatically raised both hands to fan out his hair. Liepard eventually sprang, taking off until she lagged behind the pack by about a second. Milo laughed a little.

“Just like old times. Want me to steal someone's watch to really hammer that feeling home? --Just playin', haha.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2023 5:19:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Craggro and the felines shot forward off the starting line, the reason for the course's name would become apparent. One moment, the riders would feel their weight being pushed into their Pokémon's saddles, or into the Liepard's fur in Milo's case; the next, they could feel their own weight leaving them as their mounts raced back downhill. Keeping balance would be difficult, particularly as the cats got faster and faster. Pyroar and Liepard both had amazing speed. If Craggro were at full strength, he might have been able to get way ahead of them, but not with his rotund, overweight body holding him back.

After four rounds of up-and-down came a 90-degree left turn with a ramp-like mound on the left side. Pokémon confident in their jumping ability might consider using the ramp to cut the corner, saving a big chunk of time if they could land back on the course. Not wanting to strain Aslan more than he needed, especially with the lion's reduced speed since Meteno, Josh opted to swing wide, sliding around the corner tightly and taking advantage of his mount's decreased top speed in a clever way.

{WC: 194}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2023 2:54:24 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo felt a digging into his thighs as the pack went across the hills. The wind tousled his hair, and his Liepard roared to life. It's like the two of them were in a deep sleep for a while. In either case, the turn was coming up.

Milo scanned the road ahead, eyes darting between the ramp and the oncoming turn. Josh hewed closer to the left side, taking as tight a turn as possible. Milo on the other hand was flashy. Too-clever-by-half, and a smartass. He whistled, prompting Liepard to accelerate and lean to the right. Liepard leapt with a U-Turn, banking off the wall at a tight 120 degrees and accelerating just enough to catch up with Josh and Aslan.

While the two were now neck-and-neck... Liepard could slow down and accelerate, lagging behind and leaping ahead in cycles. Milo on the other hand clung for dear life on Liepard, having stunned himself. He'd had a concussion a month ago, and this was really pushing it. Another turn like that would put the two in the middle of the pack for sure. He had to save face, and act like he meant to do that, with a forced grin.

“...Just as sharp as ever, Josh.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2023 6:00:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh and his lion soared thanks to a big jump off the ramp, cutting a corner and landing to be neck and neck with Milo and his Liepard. "Your skills are still sharp, too," Josh called back out to him while they could still hear one another. Once their big cats started running close to their top speeds, they wouldn't be able to. He was too focused on the course ahead to notice the impressive U-TURN - only the result of it.

A long, mostly straight part of the course was a great spot for the Liepard to catch up and possibly pass Aslan, whose speed would never be what it once was. The roughest part of the entire course was coming up: a section of deep, mogul-like terrain that would put the felines' footing to the ultimate test. With every footstep, the cats' backs would be at a different angle, perhaps making it difficult for the riders to hold on, too. Josh's knuckles turned white as he set Aslan's reins down, moving his hands to the end of the saddle and holding on with all his might.

{WC: 187}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2023 2:30:57 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo seemed to right himself, his body straightening out. He caught his breath, and his wide-eyed stare narrowed once again. While Liepard was ahead in this stretch of straight road, at what cost? He almost injured himself again, to prove a point. Josh was just happy to see him again. Milo had to prove to himself that he wasn't washed up.

Up ahead, the terrain looked much rougher. Matter of fact, it was a winding stretch of zig-zag turns. Each movement would be at a different sharp angle. Liepard picked up the pace again, going in. Milo leaned in, arms around her collar. He hoped maybe, just maybe, he could avoid another bump.

In either case, trying to navigate the uneven terrain set Liepard back, more or less stuck between Aslan to the front, and the procession of gym trainers to the back. Milo flashed back to that last concussion, that wily redhead; He bit his lip, hard enough to draw blood. While Liepard could accelerate well enough, a series of turns in quick succession no less, had her more or less twisting and lunging. Doing a series of starting dashes that wouldn't let her get anywhere close to top speed. Despite all of this, there was a little smile on Milo's face.

“...”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2023 2:11:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As much as Josh loved riding Aslan or any of his lions, it was one rough and tumble ride even with the saddle designed to reduce the shock of their flexing backs. Shooting through the uneven terrain so quickly felt like he was being hurled about the bounciest fun house in the world. His arms were starting to stiffen in soreness from keeping his balance; a fall from the Pyroar would be a painful one.

Once the bumpy terrain was behind them, Josh relaxed his arms, grabbed the reins again, and spurred the lion into a sprint. Glancing back, he saw that Milo and the Liepard were slowly gaining on him. They would long run out of real estate as they both crossed the finish line fairly close to one another, smoking the rest of the Gym Trainers, particularly the one aboard Craggro. The smile on Milo's face showed that he had indeed changed for the better.

"I could tell you gave it your all out there," Josh said, still catching his breath some after the rough home stretch. "You're just as sharp as you were when we met a year ago. That was a wonderful race." His head tilted toward the sky before returning to make eye contact with the Liepard's rider ones more, the feline's impressive height letting them easily look eye to eye. "I have a Liepard of my own now. Her name's Luna. I should show her to you sometime."

{WC: 244}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

VAPES

roadrunner, daredevil
he him
September 24th
Undella Town, Unova
bisexual
delinquent
civilian
28 height
28 height
awards
128 posts
milo sharpe DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @milo
milo sharpe
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2023 2:43:34 GMT
milo sharpe Avatar

Milo crossed in second. While he overexerted himself, Liepard looked like she could do this all day. In either case, the procession of trainers followed, each trying to eke out a win over the others, the masters at work having finished. Milo turned and smiled, before dismounting. He walked slowly, eventually working down to a crawl to address Craggro, Josh's pack-dog. He reached a hand out for him to sniff, and eventually raised it to scratch between his ears.

"...Thanks. I've had to grow a lot, but it means the world to me that you're still you. That that fire in your belly wasn't put out yet."

Milo then turned to face Josh, twisting his body into a seated position. He looked up at him, using a thumb to wipe the blood off his lip.

“...I'd love to see her. Maybe we can train her someday, or take her out to the track.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2023 2:43:51 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The unsteady Hisuian Arcanine didn't react to the affection with as much enthusiasm as perhaps Milo was expecting; the heavy breathing coming from the rock-type was a sign that the giant dog was positively wiped from the run. It was apparent that Craggro appreciated the love, but the short race pushed the normally fantastic distance runner to his limits. "Yup, I haven't changed too much," Josh answered, flipping his visor back up so Milo could clearly see his face. "There's nothing that'll put that fire out. I'm still looking for him, too." Not as intensely as he once was; he learned the hard way how much pursuing his dream of befriending the Johto Beast could consume him. It was a dream, but one he kept under control. It was one he could feed within reason as long as he was good friends with Kyle.

"Long as you and I remain good friends, I'm sure you'll get to see her," Josh smiled, Aslan purring just strongly enough to rattle and tickle him. "That's a wonderful idea. Once we're both ready, I think it would be fun to see how they compare to one another on the course." It was only a few seconds later that Josh noticed the blood dripping down Milo's chin. "...You okay?"

{WC: 214}
{PC: 8}