6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2023 6:46:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
New, smaller rifts had began populating Hoenn, and one couldn't have picked a more inconvenient place to show up. It popped up right in the middle of the extremely challenging SERIAL GAPS race track on Josh's gym grounds. Though his Manectric mount was fast enough to outrun its suction, having to use an emergency Z-Move to do so, racers close behind him were not so lucky. ERON IUNIS and a young male challenger, just fourteen years of age, were swallowed by the rift.

Not knowing who else to call, Josh dialed up , the most reliable scientist in Hoenn with regards to the rifts. If anyone would know anything about them, it was her. There was a reason the Gym Leader worked with her as long as she did. Given it was a rift they were working with, Josh let her know he would be changing into his Sygna Suit from his gym outfit. He didn't expect her to be able to help out, but it was the best help he could think of. If she could make the time, great! If not... he was going it alone. He had already lost one valuable Gym Trainer this year.

He couldn't afford to lose another.

Returning from the locker room wearing his Sygna Suit, Josh bravely sat on his Manectric's back, awaiting a response from the Science Sister.

{WC: 227}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Aleph           Type: Null        Good
Saber           Manectric         Good
Raikiri         Zeraora           Good
Toralf          Raichu            Good
Ao              Roaring Moon      Good
Dashie          G!Rapidash        Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 0:32:34 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]perhaps unsurprisingly, her response is quick. it speaks of agreeance, of being nearby and being there within a few moments...

and true to her word - she arrives not a second too late. behind her, a familiar golurk looms. it seems off-putting, somehow - as if on edge.

"hey, what happened?"

he gave her some information: a rift appearing randomly with no warning and a possible victim... but she seeks more.

"was this different than the normal rifts we've seen so far?"

it couldn't be... could it?

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 16:53:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
If Illeana was one thing with Josh, she was prompt and respected his urgency. This was not the first time a tragic natural event had fallen upon the Gym: she had, at a point in the distant past, helped fight some giant Pokémon from within a Space-Time Distortion that engulfed his Racing Grounds. He had a suspicion that her Golurk was special from the day he saw its Ghost-type attacks hit Normal-type Pokémon in defiance of their standard immunity. The Sygna Suit she wore made him reasonably confident that was why.

Some suits bestowed new powers upon their wearers. Shalin's bestowed upon her the strange ability to withstand violent motion; not even her Venusaur's snapping vine could unseat her while she wore her suit and was in her Flygon's presence. Some suits enhanced existing powers for their wearers. Josh's bestowed increased speed upon whatever he rode, as long as he was in the presence of his Manectric. The Manectric itself could now fully match Raikou in a race of sustained and even QUICK ATTACK speed. It made riding Raikou less meaningful than it once was, which was a blessing in that it made weaning him off his obsession much easier than it was.

"It's...very different from any of the rifts that I've seen so far, and I've been to most of the major ones," Josh answered. It was true; he had been to The Border, Ultra Sea, and Ultra Plant, having studied the first and last extensively. "I poked my head through it, and... you'll just have to see it for yourself. It's like the laws of physics don't apply there at all. I'm also worried for Eron and Jeff. You know how the atmosphere beyond the rifts is toxic? Well, this is even more so. I can't imagine they'll last more than a couple hours in there. It's so bad that it'll even slowly eat away at your Sygna Suit's protection."

Even for the brave Josh, the wannabe Signer, it was terrifying to think about. Sygna Suits were incredibly powerful, and yet, the power of this particular rift seemed to be greater. What was fueling such power?

{WC: 361}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2023 2:33:55 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"different? as in another universe or something else?"

she presses on pressure points, feeling her way through information until something gives way beneath her fingertips.

and after a moment, he gives her enough to cause a stir in the mind. the workings of physics are natural law - everything in the universe functions accordingly within their domain...

she's quiet - gears churning through concepts until she settles on a singular experience. and faintly, a small smile begins to spread.

"i think i might know what it is. will you take me there?"

her eyes are sharp, focused, curious... starved for discovery, even.

"if i'm correct, they will not be allowed to stay for much longer."

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2023 7:03:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh breathed a big sigh, collecting his thoughts. What would be the best way to explain the differences to Illeana? The rifts were all otherworldly, but this one was on a totally different level than the rest. After a long pause, the words finally came to him. "The other rifts at least have... Earth-like physics. Beyond that rift, like I said, physics as we know them don't exist." That last point was what would make the rescue of his valuable Gym Trainer so treacherous.

"Of course I'll take you there," Josh agreed, reining his Manectric toward the rift. He would have asked if Illeana wanted to saddle up, but she had a Golurk that was more than capable of transporting her around, if need be. "You seem like you're familiar with it somehow. What's your idea?" the curious Gym Leader asked as he led the way through.

On the other side of the rift was a realm that looked beyond alien. The sky, the ground, and everything in between were all dark colors. Small floating islands hovered above a bottomless void. Footprints had been left on some of them, many tilted at odd angles. Some were upside down, some were sideways, and others were inverted. Even gravity itself did not seem to follow conventional rules. "I don't see them anywhere," Josh said, looking around for the white-haired trainer and brown-haired challenger.

{WC: 231}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 4:49:43 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]as he shifts through characteristics, the concept solidifies further in her mind. it is, without a shadow of a doubt, the same.

"yes, i've been there once before."

another time, another place, another person - now she does not have the malevolent as a guide. they will need to survive this alone.

around them, the rift ripples like water and the other side greets them without missing a beat. familiarity does not stop the unsettling sensation of gravity releasing its hold on her body.

her head turns toward him, a hand rising to wave idly toward the expanses laid out before them.

"let's head further in - they couldn't have gotten far."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 5:28:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The deeper Josh went into the rift, the more unsettling his surroundings became. As he and Saber approached the end of a floating rock platform, he felt his weight shift to his right side. Squeezing the Manectric's sides with all the strength he had to avoid falling, the electric-type took it as a command to run. Courageously leaping off the edge, Saber's feet shifted sideways from Illeana's perspective, the localized gravity field pulling the Gym Leader sideways. Though the scientist looked like she was standing sideways, it felt like Josh was standing upright.

Feeling increasingly uncomfortable, Josh grabbed a second Poké Ball, a Type: Null emerging from it. It was the same Type: Null that she helped him create. The normal-type looked fearless next to Saber. "Arceus, Illeana," the Gym Leader answered, hyperventilating from the seemingly out-of-body experience. "I saw it through the rift, but experiencing it for myself is completely different. Is this... normal... here, from your past experiences?" Normal was certainly not the right word to use. There was nothing normal about this rift...

lpvvOScz Aleph obedience roll

{WC: 176}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 16:27:54 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]here, in the oddity of this space, there's a weightless quality. she feels it in her bones, in the way limbs aren't confined to normal physics.

and with it, a freeing sensation. she tries to fight off a smile but it rises all the same.

"yes, this is normal."

she's enjoying this - curiosity being well fed, no longer starving for scraps.

"the constructs of our world are not the same here. it might be similar to hoenn in landscape, but this is a different domain than our space."

she pushes forward, then, and the world rotates beneath her feet. is this what she had been searching for? not quite, but feeling through gravity still brings a fluttering giddiness she can't ignore.

and when her head turns to scan the horizon, she catches a glimpse of something moving. too quick, like a serpent swimming through water. she blinks and it's gone, replaced with a head of white hair instead. a hand rises to point in that direction.

"is that one of them?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2023 6:50:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh didn't verbally respond; his body language was all that Illeana may have needed to understand the Gym Leader's simultaneous awe and fear. When the scientist and bodyguard were once again near each other, he could talk to her again without yelling. "It's so... weird. When Saber jumped, my weight shifted toward the ground I'm standing on now... yet I didn't feel a thing in my stomach like one would when riding a flying Pokémon upside down. Or something like that."

After another gravitational shift, Josh looked toward where Illeana pointed. "That's Eron! He's one of my best Gym trainers! Come on, let's make sure he's okay!" Kicking his Manectric's sides, the rider spurred his Pokémon into a high leap, the ceiling's gravity grabbing him and flipping him upside down, where the white-haired Racing Grounds employee stood. "Are you okay?!" Josh cried as he landed on the ground above.

Aleph had beat him there. Not recognizing the white-haired human, the Ultra Beast Killer was quick to assume Eron was a Megalopolan, brandishing his CRUSH CLAW toward the poor young man's face. Desperately throwing a Poké Ball containing Mastema, the Gym Leader's Togekiss, the fairy-type blinded Aleph with a DAZZLING GLEAM. "Stop, Aleph! Stop! He's not an enemy!"

With a loud grumble, the Type: Null ceased the friendly fire, though it was a bit late. Even after a dose of LIFE DEW from Mastema, the young man's face was oozing red. "We'll talk about this once we get you and Jules out of here. Have you seen Jules anywhere?" A verbal, negative nod was all the badly weakened racer could muster. "He's gotta be deeper in here somewhere. Let's find him. We don't have a lot of time." Eron didn't look terribly happy that Josh had kept something as serious as a Type: Null secret from not just him, but as he would later find out, every single employee at his Gym...

JqED1H8n Aleph obedience roll

{WC: 323}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 22:48:06 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a soft hum of understanding escapes.

"gravity works differently here, but your body is quick to adapt to the change."

her head turns and faintly, the flash of a serpent appears once more. it's gone before her eyes can follow, but that is of no consequence for there are bigger things to worry about than a possible hallucination.

"what the hell?"

a barked question meets no answer at first as josh's sole focus is ensuring his type:null doesn't pulverize the poor gym trainer. her eyes narrow at the sight. a moment later, she joins the pair and quickly ushers the gym trainer toward her with a hand waving through idle air.

"hold still, please."

the gauntlets of her sygna suit are shed and the suit is quickly deactivated in favor of medical attention. healing mist pools around her hands before they're moved to hover near the gym trainer's face. within moments, the blood flow has ceased and his wound has begun to mend itself beneath her misty touch.

while the scientist finishes tending to the gym trainer, she looks over her shoulder to find her discolored automaton.

"he has to be around here somewhere - help josh search, i'll be done in a few."

the golurk rumbles out acknowledgement and shifts over to josh's side to begin assisting with the search...

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2023 5:08:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The supernatural power that flowed into the wounded Gym Trainer cleansed and close his wounds within seconds. Witnessing the feat, both their jaws dropped in awe. "How did you...?" Josh asked. Was Illeana an Avatar? That kind of healing was extraordinary, much like Pokémon healing. Grateful to the Head Scientist but just as confused as Josh was, Eron offered the team another set of eyes to search for the missing Gym Trainer.

The silhouette of a giant serpent flying across the alien realm caught Josh's attention too, though it was too fast for him to identify. "Did you see that?" he pointed to seemingly nothing. "Whatever it was, it was quick."

It didn't take their new set of eyes long to find their missing challenger. There was a long distance between them... at least, it seemed that way. "So close, but so far away... we've got to find a way over there. Do you think we could just fly to him?" Sliding down from Saber's back, Josh clicked the switch on his Roaring Moon's Poké Ball, mounting the feathered dragon as Aleph returned to the rider's side.

d8wUmMlQ Aleph obedience roll

{WC: 188}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2024 2:25:20 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"oh, uh, i used to be an avatar."

no longer... though, perhaps one day that'll change. for now, she's fine with the small leftover power from tapu lele. it's enough, she supposes.

and in the background, a serpent lurks. it's too fast to see, always dancing just beyond the peripheral and disappearing once you look toward it. for a moment, she swears it's just a figment of her imagination until josh asks if she sees it too. strength in numbers makes her mind feel better about just barely catching a glimpse of it.

"yeah, i did... might be best to hurry up here."

she worries, briefly, of the home they might be trespassing within. the sooner they leave, the better.

her eyes shift to follow the line of sight until she, too, sees the missing challenger in question. a quick nod follows.

"we should be able to fly over to him, yes."

the golurk rumbles low, as if signaling its readiness to take flight. she gestures for josh to make the first move, to lead them to his gym challenger.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2024 5:33:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Another person blessed with divine powers, even if most had left him... just how many gods were there roaming Hoenn? Being friends with something so powerful could be either a boon or a bane, depending on the whims of one's god. For some, the relationship was symbiotic; for others, it was parasitic. There was no telling how the relationship would be until the pact was signed. Had he been asked before his life unraveled before him, Josh would long to have such powers for himself. Now, after having seen so many Avatars, the prospect of being a slave to one's Patron was frightening.

"That explains a lot," was Josh's simple reply, though it was clear he was lost in thought. Illeana's worry showed, though for a different reason. Their unwanted visitor seemed to be closing in, and there was no telling what would happen if they truly caught that thing's attention.

The Gym Leader gently pat Ao's neck. "Alright, let's fly. We gotta pick up Jules and get outta here." The Roaring Moon stretched his wings and flew through the fields of shifting gravity, Josh feeling his stomach lurch every time "up" became a different direction. It took great effort for the Paradox Pokémon to fly at all, having to flap his wings in a different direction every time gravity changed.

Though they were a bit woozy afterward, both made it to the island Jules was on. "Come on, hop on and let's get you out of here."

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 2:07:26 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]while josh moves to retrieve the gym challenger, illeana stays put and keeps a keen eye on their surroundings...

for she can feel the shifts in pressure. it's slight, sure, but palpable enough to make her skin want to crawl.

they do not have much longer within this world - of that, she is certain.

"ready to go?"

her tone is pleasant, but slightly rushed as if she's hurrying them along.

and out of the corner of her eye, she can see the serpent pass by once more. it's closer now - she can make out its familiar form.

"we can't stay much longer."

they will not anger the gods today if she can help it.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
QUADRAXIS [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2024 4:34:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Mauville Gym regular woozily sat behind Josh, a tingling sensation overcoming both of them as they felt radiation from the Roaring Moon's Infinity Energy signature. They could both feel the sheer power emanating from his mighty steed. Giratina was close, and could fly fast. He had ridden a Dragapult mid-Phantom Force before. There would be no outrunning the ghost-type's Shadow Force.

"No we can't. Thanks for the help, couldn't have done it without you."

As Josh felt Jules' arms wrap around his waist, the Roaring Moon would take off, doing his best to turn with the fields of shifting gravity.

"I tell you what, one time in here is enough for me. Never been anywhere so creepy in my life. The Ultra Sea is child's play compared to this."

Even Aleph was rattled by the Giratina's presence, Josh withdrawing the Type: Null to his Poké Ball as they retreated toward Hoenn proper.

{PC: 8}