6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Seconds to Shoot, Weeks to Heal [S][C/Andrea]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2023 7:57:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It took seconds to discharge a shotgun. It took weeks to heal from a shotgun's wounds.

As much of a difference maker Mauville's Gym Leader was in Dewford's bitter battles, he and his Pokémon team suffered greatly in the war. So many of his Pokémon saw deployment that there were insufficient Pokémon to adequately engage challengers with. As such, Josh regrettably had to shut down Mauville Gym while his Pokémon recovered from the war. He felt awful for ANDREW WEISS and SHELLY SPIEL, having to call back dozens of challengers and reschedule his November challengers for December. At least he had plenty of PTO to cover his medical leave, though it would run out before he would return to work.

Beneath his hospital robes, one half of Josh's body was covered in bandages. The other half was covered in gunshot wounds from Bullet Seed firearms. Though doctors were used to looking at awful wounds, especially ones aiding those on the front lines, it didn't make them any less gruesome to look at. With him being on the ninth floor, he could not even have one of his Pokémon outside the window keeping him company.

At least it was a Sunday. There would be plenty of football to keep him entertained during his long stay within Dewford Regional Hospital. He turned on the Hearthome-Lumiose game, catching the opening kickoff at high noon. Though Hearthome had the more solid offense, Lumiose was not to be underestimated, having several promising rookies in their ranks this season.

{WC: 258}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2023 12:36:10 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
First and now Josh. It seemed every time the League and Rocket went to war, one of Andrea’s friends got either hurt or kidnapped. Of course, this was neither the first nor the last time Josh had been injured in the line of duty, but if he needed to be hospitalized for it, then the damage must have been severe.

There was a tentative knock on the door, followed by the young cosplayer stepping inside, holding a bouquet of flowers in one hand. “Hi, Josh. How are you holding up?” She greeted the Mauville Gym leader with a warm smile. Her Fuecoco, Jalapeño, popped its head out of her blouse, wanting to wish their friend a swift recovery too.

Andrea put the flowers in a vase, which she placed on top of the counter next to Josh’s bed. “You like sports?” The dragon-hooded girl asked, while side-glancing at the TV screen that was bolted to the wall.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 6:53:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Andrea..." Josh moaned as the distinctly-dressed dragon trainer entered his room with a Fuecoco on her person. "They've got me on the strongest painkillers I've ever taken, and my upper body still hurts all over," he continued, squinting as one of the Bullet Seeds within his body cut deeper into his skin. "I don't know how Hoenn doesn't have a Pokémon-based assault weapons ban yet. Those Bullet Seed, Aura Sphere, and Flash Cannon guns aren't for hunting. They're for killing. Just outlaw the Arceus-damned things al--"

A loud "oof" came out of his mouth as he agitated another sensitive spot on his back. There was no way he could possibly lay that would entirely relieve pressure on his gunshot wounds; he had them front and back. It was only the miracle of Pokémon healing that kept him from being killed in action against and her goons.

"They remind me of Basil, my Leafeon..." Josh slowly answered, taking a whiff of Andrea's gift. "Thank you. Yes, I do like some sports. Watched a lot of baseball, football, and Pokémon racing. Especially with my dad. He and my mom are going to be moving to Hoenn this holiday season."

{WC: 201}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 18:22:30 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"That's rough." The dragon fanatic frowned. Seeing Josh's crippling injuries up close made her feel a slow-burning, justified anger. It could take weeks for the Master of Faster to be able to race again, and she knew that fact killed him on the inside. "Humans going to war with each other is one thing, but weaponizing Pokémon moves takes it too far!"

Thankfully, the conversation pivoted to a more pleasant topic, namely Andrea's flowers. "You like them? At first, I thought of bringing you something to match the holiday season, but SPRUCE is very hard to come by in Hoenn." She mused. Temperatures may have dropped in recent years, but theirs was still very much a tropical region.

The young woman took a seat next to Josh's bed, holding her beloved Fuecoco in her arms. "I never got into sports. Mind explaining the game to me? What teams are playing? What's the goal?" She didn't mind a little mansplaining as long as it was a good friend doing it. "Oh, your parents are coming to visit? What are they like?" She followed up asking.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 21:39:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Considering that spruce trees have to be imported from mostly Sinnoh, they are expensive, and most of them get used for holiday decorations," Josh added. "Don't worry about it. It's the thought that counts, and I truly appreciate it. When I'm out of here and feeling better, I'd love to go dragon riding with you again. Did I tell you I have my own Mecha-Chomper now?" Junji would prove to be not nearly as much of a handful as Kokusho was, but the dark-type was still an Iron Jugulis, and carried with it much of the ferocity of the species it was based on.

"Unovan Football is... a rules mess. I'll try to explain the basics the best I can. calls it handegg, and I can see why he would." He took a deep breath. Perhaps too deep, exhaling with a hiss as he hit another sensitive spot on his skin.

"The goal is for the team with the football - that oblong ball - to run or pass it all the way to the opposing team's end zone. That painted zone at the end of the field. The end zones are 100 yards apart. The team with the ball gets four tries, or 'downs', to advance the ball ten yards while the defense tries to stop them. If the offense gains ten yards that way, they get a new set of downs. If they don't, then the other team get the ball and tries to move it the other way in the same fashion. Reaching the end zone scores your team six points, and kicking the ball through the uprights at the back of the end zone scores your team three points. There are other... less common ways to score, too. After four fifteen-minute quarters, the team with the highest score wins."

{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 14:26:00 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Josh’s detailed breakdown of how Unovan Football worked gave Andrea a headache. “Ugh, now I’m even more confused! Why can’t it be like normal football, where you just have to kick the ball into the net to win?” The dragon-hooded girl whined, while her pet crocodile Yawned out of boredom.

After letting out a yawn of her own, the young PokéManiac decided to focus on subjects she was actually interested in. “So you got a Robot Hydreigon too?” She didn’t know that its official name was Iron Jugulis. Only the omniscient narrator knew that. “Are more and more of those weird Pokémon showing up in Hoenn, or is it just me?”

Not too long ago, she had seen Dewford Gym leader using not one, but two Paradox Pokémon. Surely the League would consider them a higher priority than whatever Team Rocket was up to these days.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 20:23:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh shrugged. "There is a lot to it. Even I don't understand all the rules. I just know enough about it to enjoy watching the games." The Gym Leader returned the yawn. "Stop it - that's contagious." Even he was having trouble keeping his eyes open. What a bad time to fall asleep! The injured Gym Leader shook his head, hissing as a tingle of pain made him fully conscious again.

"I did," he answered. "Junji will be their name. I'm sure they'll be a handful to work with, like Kokusho was." The iron-plated Pokémon wasn't particularly his style, but he wasn't going to turn down another powerful ally. Not with how much his Pokémon had suffered in battle, as well as increasing pressure to be more involved with Hoenn's military instead of being the Ranger he always had been. "I've seen a lot more trainers with them. It's a little unsettling seeing them alongside their familiar counterparts."

Josh groaned as Lumiose's defense jumped off-sides again, though he kept his remarks to himself to avoid overwhelming Andrea any more. "You're a Gym Leader, too. Did the League also put a lot of pressure on you to go to Dewford?"

{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 20:54:02 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
When he told her to stop yawning, the young woman stifled a giggle. "There's nothing wrong with being a little tired. Everyone needs to rest once in a while." She countered, while leaning against her chair. Her adopted son Jalapeño was already dozing off in her motherly embrace.

"I wouldn't call them all unsettling." She said in regard to Paradox Pokémon. "Some of them look kinda funny in a cute way, while others look super cool, like the Robot Gallade or the Ancient Salamence." Iron Valiant and Roaring Moon respectively for any confused readers.

Her sunny smile waned when Josh asked her if the League had tried to draft her in the war. "They didn't. I don't think the League cares that much about us Minor Gym leaders. Even if they had pressured me, I would've said no a thousand times." Andrea replied, her body tensing up ever so slightly.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 23:11:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While he understood where the humor was in Andrea's quip, Josh didn't seem too mused. "Rest is about all I can do here. What they have to do to me isn't complicated. It's just pulling Bullet Seeds out of me. It's just... a lot of cutting me open. The human body can only handle so much of it at a time." As many as he had removed already, there were so many more that still needed to be extracted. The small cup of projectiles, each covered in dried blood, was an indicator of just how much the Gym Leader suffered.

He was a true warrior risking his body on the front lines, even if he wouldn't admit it to .

"Not all of them, for sure. Once I'm out of here, I'll have to show you Junji. And Ao. Did you ever meet Ao? He's my Salamence look-alike. The 'ancient' one, as you put it." Unsurprisingly, Josh wasn't particularly fond of Iron Valiant; while it was a sleek-looking Pokémon, the Gym Leader had his biases toward Pokémon that could ferry him about, especially ones that were fast.

Josh breathed a sigh of relief when he heard that the Minor League Gym Leaders weren't pressured into contributing to the war effort. While participation was not mandatory, many, including himself, felt like they had a duty to do so. "That's a good thing. It's worse than anything you could imagine. I think I took more lives that day than in the rest of my time in Hoenn, and anywhere else, combined."

The topic of the war was certainly morbid, but it was what was on the Gym Leader's mind. "You know, Andrea... the more I've been stuck here, the more I'm thinking about it... with all the talent I have as a Gym Leader, is being a Ranger a waste of all that talent? I love saving lives. I love seeing smiles on the faces of every person I save. But I feel like I'm better at taking lives than saving them. And it hurts. It hurts so bad. When I signed up to be a Gym Leader, I never thought I would feel compelled to fight in Hoenn's military. And here I am."

{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 8:33:54 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The sky outside went cloudy, the sparse ILLUMINATION in the room casting an eerie, shadowy veil over Josh's visage as he spoke of the horrors of war like the shell-shocked veteran he was.

"Josh, stop! This isn't you!" Andrea interrupted his morbid thoughts, reaching out to gently take hold of the injured youth's hand. "You're not a killer. You're a racer. What happened to your dream of taming Raikou--of being known as the fastest in the world? Are you really gonna throw that all away just so you can die in the next pointless war?" She asked him.

"You know why I don't wanna get promoted to the major league?" The Minor Gym leader continued, tears welling up in her eyes. "It's because I don't want the League to turn me into one of its soldiers. 'Cause that's what the Gym circuit is to them. And I don't want them to do that to my best friend either!"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 18:45:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Shell-shocked was one way to put it. Dewford was not the first time the Gym Leader had been put into a warzone. While it was not against his will, the mounting pressure to do so was immense. Andrea's pleading tugged at the agonized man's heart, the brave rider hurting both emotionally and physically.

"I know, Andrea. I know. And that's the problem. I love Mauville Gym and would fight tooth and nail if wanted to pry it from my hands. I love racing Pokémon. I love regulated battle. I love seeing Pokémon throw down within the safety limits you have no doubt become familiar with, given how long you've had your Gym."

Josh's eyes began to well up as Andrea carefully held his handage-covered hand. "That's the problem. Even if I do tame Raikou, every other Avatar I know has been drawn into the war. Even if Raikou seeks me out, will it truly lead to happiness? Or will it lead to me getting more involved in the war?"

He wanted to bridge the gap between the positions of Ranger and Gym Leader, giving the Rangers more cohesiveness with the rest of the League. "The more I think about it... it sounds like I may have to either give up Ranging, which I love, or give up Mauville Gym. The paths they tug me toward feel... mutually exclusive."

{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 20:30:12 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"I don't wanna lose you just because the League and Rocket are too stubborn to stop fighting. This time, you survived, but next time..." Andrea's hand gently squeezed Josh's bandaged own. "D-doesn't our friendship mean anything to you?" She was mentally grasping at anything she could say or do to dissuade him from going down this self-destructive path.

The young PokéManiac tried to put herself in his shoes, to think what she would've done in a similar situation. The cheesy phrase she'd written on the walls of 's Gym sprung to her mind.

"Be what you wanna be, not what others want to see." She let go of his hand, poking at the youth's nose with her index finger. "What do YOU want? If you wanna keep racing, no-one can take that away from you. If you wanna be a Ranger, no-one can tell you to stop saving lives. And if you wanna keep being a Gym leader, you could go back to the minor league. It wouldn't be as fancy or popular, but at least you'd still be doing the thing you love."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 21:03:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The battles Josh had fought in the early Spring in Dewford were all ones where he was in his element. The battles he fought there in the fall were drastically out of his element. Rather than take advantage of the feline's speed, they required him to utilize the feline's stealth. "Andrea, it does. It means a lot to me. I'll never forget the day when you flew on Tiamat and giggled because you weren't expecting her wings to vibrate."

Come to think of it, he hadn't taken a true vacation in a long time. He hadn't even checked his PTO situation, but it would likely be zero after leaving the hospital. Even if he had to take a pay cut, perhaps he needed time away for his own sanity. "Once they discharge me and I'm feeling better, we should make a day to just forget about the rest of the world and soar on our dragons. Maybe even spend some time away from Hoenn. Doesn't a dragon dive from Mount Coronet's peak sound fun?"

"What I want is to be friends with Raikou. Not even the Raikou. Just a Raikou. If being an Avatar means I have to fight in every battle of the war..." he trailed off, lost in thought for minutes at a time. Not even prodding from Andrea would snap him out of his trance. "This is a big decision. It's not something I can make overnight, in a day, or even a week. Maybe not even a month. I'm gonna talk to other people about it. Other Avatars, other Gym Leaders... maybe even the higher-ups again."

The issue of delegating himself back to the Minor League was a complex one. He had grown his Gym so fast that he relied upon League subsidies to raise all the Pokémon he had gathered. Without the subsidy, he could not afford to maintain such a large plot of land, and certainly not the dozens of Pokémon he had. If he wasn't financially reliant upon the League, he would have quit then and there. But how many Pokémon would he have to forever say goodbye to if he walked off the job?

In that way, he was no longer a partner of the League. He was a wage slave.

{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,672 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2023 9:17:27 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Being reminded of Josh's Dragonite and its wing vibrations, Andrea mustered a weak smile. How she wished they could go back to those carefree times when their biggest worry was if dragons could breathe in outer space. "Yes, I'd love that! Let's go somewhere far away and just ride our dragons like we used to!"

It was funny. Back when Hoenn had been awaiting its imminent doom, she didn't want to leave. Now that the threat of the meteorite was gone, the thought of taking a vacation was liberating. Things were so much easier when the only threat to their existence was a giant space rock.

If there was a RIBBON for convincing people not to do stupid things, Andrea wasn't winning it anytime soon. The young racer's phrasing made it sound like he valued the opinions of powerful and important people more than that of his friend. Without even realizing it, an immature grudge slowly festered in the girl's heart.

"You're talking about it with me. Isn't that enough?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2023 20:22:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh briefly recalled the space incursion he went on with Andrea and Resheph before snapping bck to reality. "It's not just the ethics or duty of it. If I could continue to do what I love while stepping down as Mauville Gym Leader, I would. It would make my very soul hurt, but I would. But it's not that simple. I lead the second or third largest city in Hoenn. I've completely transformed it. Remember when Mauville was full of military barracks when was in charge?" the Leader asked. "Now, those barracks have been remodeled into the Victory Homes, a project to house Mauville's most vulnerable people. It's become the sports capital of Hoenn. Not just under my watch, but as a direct result of my influence."

It wasn't just the city it affected. It affected him personally, too. "I'm sorry if I'm trauma dumping on you, Andrea. But leaving the Gym would personally affect me, too. It is no secret that I raise a huge number of Pokémon. Over a hundred. And I get a huge stipend from the League to maintain the Gym. Without that, I couldn't afford to keep them all around. I would have to let at least half of them go. Andrea, I love every single one of them, and I couldn't bear to do that."

Mauville Racing Grounds would remain, but it would be a shell of its former self. Perhaps it had grown so big so quickly that Josh had become overly reliant on public funding. "That's why I can't decide overnight." He shook his head. "I appreciate the pep talk a lot. I really do. This is a career-altering decision, and one I want as many perspectives as possible on before pulling the trigger."

{PC: 8}