Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Most Random Commission [M]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2023 20:17:09 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The best thing about being an Admin was that Howard got access to a lot of documentation regarding who the organization kept on the payroll. He had recently added to the list, but he occasionally took time to snoop through other members when he had a second. It was best to know who in the organization did what.

Understanding the different skills, attitudes, and levels of moral bankruptcy that each Rocket member possessed was important in ensuring the organization survived.

It also let Howard find out about the diamond in the rough known as Aurelie. As soon as Howard had read the blacksmith's file, the archaeologist had thrown his hands up in the air, shouting in delight.

There was another eyepatch buddy in Rocket! Not only that, but she was a blacksmith. After almost getting suffocated by the Bloodmoon Ursaluna for the twelfth time, Howard had decided that it was finally time to follow up on what he and had discussed: fixing the Gigaton Ball.

The mechanisms were complex, and few blacksmiths in Hoenn were willing to pick up the challenge. Luckily, Aurelie worked with Rocket, so that was a plus. Additionally, he had left his pride out to dry, and replaced it with a heavy stack of cash.

Howard opened the door to Aurelie's forge, and gave a whistle.

"Helloooooooooo? Anyone home? I have a request! And money! Lots of money! Did I mention the whole lot of money?"

Smooth negotiating skills, as always. Just throw money at the problem. Surely that will fix it.

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2023 23:01:36 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A Unique Undertaking
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Sitting behind the computer at the front desk counter, Aurelie looked up in dismay when a customer noisily barged through the door and let out a piercing whistle. Her first impulse was to snap at him for nearly making her spill the peppermint mocha coffee she'd been happily savoring. An instant later, she was glad she hadn't.

She quickly recognized the man who came through the front door of her shop in three separate ways. First, as the meteorologist-hating rescuer of the Bloodmoon Ursaring that they'd all thought was the Bloodmoon Beast from the swamp. Second, as the bubble tea contestant from her contest who made that weird Eevee-flavored floral tea in Round 3, for some reason.

Third—and perhaps most importantly—Aurelie identified him from Rocket's latest internal bulletins as the organization's newest admin. Her eyebrows rose in surprise. To have someone like him coming to see her so openly with a commission...

An aboveboard commission from Rocket leadership? she wondered, almost puzzled. Or...is he just that blatant? No...surely, there's no way.

Putting down her drink, the red-haired smith stood up and walked over, extending her hand for a shake. "Hello there, Mr., uh...Slayte, is it?" she greeted him, unable to repress an amused grin. "Is this how you spend all the money you save by putting only the cheapest ingredients in your bubble tea brews?

"Not that I could possibly object,"
Aurelie added jauntily, tilting her head to one side. Putting her hands on her hips, she regarded him quizzically. "So, what's your request? How can I help you and get my hands on your 'whole lot of money'?"

He hadn't seemed like a knife nut, like so many of his colleagues, from what little she'd seen of him, but she'd been surprised before. On the other hand, she seemed to recall that he was an archaeologist, so maybe he wanted a tool or a historically accurate recreation of something. That'd be fun, if only because it'd definitely be different.

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

| Mission: Post-Mud, Blood, & Iron

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2023 9:50:09 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Haha, don't mention the Bubble Tea Incident." Howard said cheerfully as he accepted the handshake. Internally, his soul was dying as he remembered his boba tea being Eevee-flavored. "I haven't gotten the taste of defeat out of my mouth."

Despite that, the Admin wasn't too upset at the jape. He was a recent promotion, pulled from the masses of Team Rocket's grunts. A lot of Rocket's higher ups were either deranged, insane, murderous, or power-hungry. Howard just wanted to be left alone with his rocks and artifacts.

Ah, the contest. Howard had forgotten that Aurelie was there. Not because she wasn't noteworthy, but because had been busy causing general mayhem. He did remember her vaguely from the Route 119 Incident. That was good. It'd require less explaining than if she hadn't fought the Megalopolans on that route.

The Megalopolans, their magenta chain, and the strange bear that had fought against them. If Team Rocket and the League wanted to fight against this threat, they'd need better tools. That started with the Gigaton Ball clipped to Howard's belt. An item that could only be repaired by the brightest of Hoenn's smiths.

Like the one standing across from him.

"I need a custom job." Howard reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded blueprint. He offered it to Aurelie and held the Gigaton Ball in his other hand. "The Pokeball that houses the Bloodmoon Beast is damaged. I need it repaired."

He gestured towards the front desk, intending to unfold the blueprint. "May I?"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2023 22:12:56 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie chuckled at Howard's cheerfully self-deprecating response about the bubble tea contest. Then she caught herself and reminded herself sternly not to relax too much around him. He was still a Rocket admin, after all, for all his approachable and laidback demeanor, and no doubt still dangerous in some way.

Or maybe that normal and friendly façade masks another heartless monster, like , she thought, with a faint shudder.

When Howard brought up the custom job he wanted, though, Aurelie perked up immediately. "Yes, by all means," she agreed at once, reaching out to clear off the front desk to give him a smooth surface to display his schematic. "Please feel free to show me what you have in mind."

Sliding away a cup full of pens, she pursed her lips thoughtfully. "It's probably fair to warn you that I've never made a Pokeball before, though. Or worked on one. But...I'm excited to try, if you're still willing to give me a shot.

"It'd be nice,"
Aurelie mused on, her voice growing softer, "to work on something that could help us fight against those Megalopolans that are in Hoenn now. I remember how hard the Bloodmoon Ursaluna fought against them. If repairing its ball could bring a little more safety, and maybe even some wonder and joy to the world..."

She rubbed her hands together animatedly. "Then I'm all for it. I'd be happy to make whatever you want. And..." Aurelie paused for a moment, her thoughts drifting farther afield. "Maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself, but afterward, I could even forge some armor for the Ursaluna itself? So it could fight even better and stay alive a little longer?

"But..."
For the second time in about five minutes, she caught herself and shook her head, waving a hand in the air dismissively. "Yeah, that's probably too far into the future. We can talk about that after you show me what you're planning. How do you think we can fix the Gigaton Ball?"

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2023 6:39:28 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"You're quite the saleswoman, aren't you?" Howard looks up at Aurelie. It wasn't an uncommon thing for a craftsman to peddle her wares. No, it was more uncommon to look that far into the future. If Aurelie did good work, Howard would likely come back. She knew that. A Rocket Admin made for a valuable customer. "Sorry, that was rude. You're passionate."

He decided that he liked this Rocket smith. Someone who was as committed to their passion as he was. That, or Howard was spending too much time around sycophants, sociopaths, and madmen. It was refreshing to find someone who just enjoyed committing to their craft. Besides, her first time making something like this?

More people needed opportunities to try something, and fail. Howard wouldn't be in Rocket if more people had been willing to hire him.

"Doug would look terrifying in armor! I'm sure he'd like the extra protection too, when those Megalopolans strike back. He had a close call back on the battlefield."

Too close. He'd never let the Bloodmoon Beast be harmed again. Not only was Doug a valuable asset to understanding Space-time Distortions, Hisui, and the Megalopolans, but Howard was starting to like the bear. Doug was a sweetheart, even if he had almost broken Howard's next by breaking out of his ball in the middle of the night.

"That's perfectly fine. I doubt that there's a master smith in Hoenn that won't blab if I come into his smithy with heaps of cash. Even if I wave veiled threats about, which tends to cause more problems than not." Howard rolled his eye to the heavens and tapped several parts on the Gigaton Ball's schematic.

"The wind-up mechanism is shot. It doesn't keep the ball shut for long periods of time. See here? That's where the hydraulics and steam help keep the ball wound shut. It's all metal, and Hisuian Pokeballs are more about mechanics than technology." Howard let out a sigh and tapped the rim of the Gigaton Ball on the schematics. "You'll have to take the blasted thing apart, which means that my Ursaluna will be out and about. It's not ideal, but..."

Howard shrugged sheepishly. The thought of a Bloodmoon Ursaluna running around Lilycove bothered him, but Howard didn't know what to do besides shrug at the sky.

"That's the process, yeah? I'd like to sit in on the process, if possible. Not as your boss, but as a historian. The process is exciting."

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2023 4:50:42 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie chuckled and shook her head breezily in cheerful dismissal of Howard's saleswoman comment and subsequent apology. "Oh, no, no worries. No offense taken, honestly. While I am passionate about my work, I've had to learn to become a better saleswoman when I first set up shop here in Hoenn. So, if I'm not terrible at it anymore, I take that as a compliment!"

Then she shook her head again and added by way of explanation, "But actually, in this case, funnily enough, I wasn't just trying to make a sale. Pokemon armor is an idea I've been excited about for a long time, so I got a little carried away and brought it up as a tangent. You're the first person who's liked the idea as much as I do, though!"

The red-haired smith rubbed her hands together in excited anticipation, unable to keep from thinking about the challenges and innovations involved in making armor for an Ursaluna. Seeing the affection and protectiveness that Howard seemed to feel for the Pokemon—whom he'd amusingly named Doug—Aurelie resolved to do an absolutely amazing job on the armor, whenever he commissioned it.

For now, she peered curiously over his shoulder and listened intently as he pointed out various parts of the Gigaton Ball's schematic. Aurelie's single eye was wide and bright with unabashed fascination as she studied and admired the various mechanisms depicted.

"I never knew Hisuian Pokeballs looked like this," she admitted. "Or that they worked like this inside. What a marvel of engineering!" She bit her lip. "Can I keep that schematic after this is done? Or have a copy of it?"

Clearing her throat, Aurelie crossed her arms and eyed the schematic again. "In the meantime, this does look like something I should be able to accomplish. Though it...might take a while to finish, with my limited forging equipment, to make things so minute and detailed."

For a moment, she thought with longing of the massive industrial workshop that had let her use while she'd been crafting his custom prosthetic casings only a year ago. "But I can do it," Aurelie assured him, thinking again of the delicacy and precision required to create the prosthetics back then.

She blinked at Howard in surprise when he asked to sit in on the process. "Oh! I... Hmm. I'm not used to people asking to sit in and watch me work. But you're welcome to, if you want to! Honestly, I would appreciate your help taking apart and reassembling the Gigaton Ball."

Aurelie thought rapidly through her calendar and commissions, which at the moment were thankfully few, most likely because of the holiday season drawing to a close soon. "So, I should be able to start working on this anytime this week. Would you like to come back here tomorrow to kick off..."

She paused and grinned. "Let's call it Operation Gigaton Ball Overhaul?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 21:31:21 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"That's a good name. Reminds me of my postgrad thesis." Howard's specific field was branching languages, runes, and glyphs. He was fine with a simple, if wordy name. "I'll call it GBO when I feel lazy, yeah?"

After a few moments, Howard scrunched his brow as if forgetting something. After a moment, his face brightened. He dropped a thickly padded envelope on the table.

"A forward deposit. This will cover materials and small labor costs. You'll get the amount for the rest of your labor at completion. I believe it to be reasonable, for the work quality." Howard was poor, but Rocket was not. The archaeologist was particularly good at cutting useless price sinks from Rocket.

His most recent budget cut involved the Rocket submarine, which had a cooling system powered by Regice. Nonetheless, he strove to pay workers fairly. A lifetime of student debt and job hunting helped with that, especially given the recentness of his promotion. Lower ranking members of Rocket deserved as much respect as a higher member.

That included Aurelie and her smithing work. Passion needed to be rewarded and fostered. That was how talent was cultivated, and how skills like forging remained in the modern world. It'd break his heart to see Hisuian Pokeballs fully vanish from the world, now that they had acquired one. It'd also break his heart to see forging fully vanish in favor of industrialization.

Ah, the industrial revolution and its consequences.

"The schematic? Hell, I'll pay you to keep it." Howard snickered. "I've made about twelve already for museums and universities. Please, take it. It and my experience with Hisui are yours. I'd be happy to help out in any way possible."

Click. The Gigaton Ball suddenly vibrated. After a moment, it burst open, and a massive bear appeared in the shop. It looked around, opened its maw, and growled. "Grrr?" Howard's muffled voice rang out from behind Doug. "That's why I want it fixed!"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2024 22:02:40 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie smiled broadly as she accepted the thick envelope of payment, pleased by Howard's pragmatism but chagrined to realize that once more, she was starting to relax and let her guard down around him. So many other Rockets—not even just leadership, but even regular rank-and-file Rockets—seemed so excessive in one way or another, whether they were ruthless, cunning, mysterious, or dangerous.

This admin, though, especially with his eyepatch and his unmistakable passion for a career many others would find dusty and obscure, just felt relatable. The red-haired smith wanted to laugh and sigh at the same time. Damn it, she grumbled internally, Rocket admins aren't supposed to be likable!

She was about to happily claim the Hisuian Pokeball schematic with a grin, when his Gigaton Ball suddenly popped open. Aurelie jumped and let out a yelp of surprise, her face turning pale. As the Bloodmoon Ursaluna reared up inside her shop, she moved instinctively in front of the nearest glass display case.

"Name of Arceus!" Aurelie gasped, staring up at the massive Ursaluna. "You weren't kidding about the Pokeball not staying shut! Steady now, steady, mon grand ours, mon costaud," she added soothingly to the huge bear, who thankfully wasn't making any sudden moves at the moment.

"Well, change of plans, I guess..." Without taking her eye off the bear, Aurelie moved toward her computer and began typing rapidly. "It seems like a good idea to start getting that Pokeball fixed right now, so...if I drop everything else I'm working on...move around some deadlines...ask for some deadline extensions..."

She typed as she talked, quickly contacting other clients with apologies and notifications of delays. Then she straightened and beckoned to the Ursaluna and Howard behind it, swooping as she passed by to pick up the now-empty Gigaton Ball on the ground. "Oof, this thing is heavier than it looks!"

Aurelie caught herself in the midst of opening the door to her workshop and looked up apprehensively at the Ursaluna. "Howa—I mean, Mr. Slayte, are you...are you able to keep Doug under control?" she asked, biting her lip.

"If you want to observe the process...well, I don't usually allow Pokemon into my forge unless they're used to it, like my Pokemon assistants are. The flames, hot metal, loud noises, and sharp edges can be a lot to deal with for newcomers."

She sucked in her breath uneasily. "But at the same time, I'd rather not leave him loose in my shop...or my apartment upstairs...or my garden out back..."

The thought of her garden made her smile a little and turn toward the Ursaluna with a speculative glint in her eye. "Unless...can I offer you some early-winter berries and fruit from my garden? Maybe that way you'll be too busy digesting to wander around knocking things off tables and the like."

It felt strange to address a massive bear Pokemon as if it were a mischievous child, but she hoped her ploy would work all the same.

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2024 10:53:30 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Most members of Rocket's upper ranks were broken by circumstance, poisoned by their role. It was something that seeped into them from the chair that they sat in. Howard had heard that they had all been somewhat normal, once. Cross, Bee, Quinn, Fiorelli. All of them had been shattered at some point, and only after putting themselves back together had they risen through the ranks.

When would Howard break? He didn't know. He wanted to remain as he was, unchanging. He wouldn't forget where he came from, and he wouldn't forget where he would fall to if Rocket deemed his promotion an error.

Yet until that day, he was Admin Slayte, or Admin Fox, or the Galarian.

"Yeah, welcome to my world. Did I mention how he breaks out of his ball every few nights and crushes my ribcage? Because he does that. Constantly." Howard grinned good-naturedly as he clapped Doug on the head and scratched his ears. Doug yawned and his eyes flickered into slumber. "Il est grand, oui?"

Ancient languages weren't the only thing he spoke.

While Aurelie was forced to rework her schedule, the archaeologist grimmaced apologetically. Rank nonwithstanding, this was a request from a potential customer to another. He looked at Doug and scowled.

"How do you get everyone to do stuff for you by snoring and sleeping!" Howard hissed at him, eye flicking to Aurelie as she rescheduled another client.

"Grr." Doug snored.

Helpful.

"Howard's fine. We're not on the clock." He gave a gentle smile. It only became Admin Slayte when someone needed him, or when he was being yelled at. "I've never been good at training Pokemon, but Doug's a sweetheart. Unless you have Megalopolans hiding behind sword racks, we should be f-"

Berries were mentioned. Doug awoke. The bear lumbered towards Aurelie's desk and stared at her when she mentioned hints of berries and other delicious treats. The Ursaluna feasted like a king under Howard's employ, but Doug wouldn't say no to more delectable treats.

"Grrr." Doug growled, then licked Aurelie's face. Howard gave a thumbs-up of approval as it happened.

"It's settled!" Howard straightened his cowboy hat. "Let us begin."

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2024 0:21:32 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]When the massive Ursaluna seemed to accept her offer of berries, Aurelie would've breathed a sigh of relief, except she was trying not to breathe too deeply after getting a friendly helping of Ursaluna breath and saliva. Wiping off the side of her face, she managed to grin back at Howard, her face softening when she saw him scratch the Pokemon behind his ears.

"Oui, c'est très grande," she agreed, "which makes me doubly glad to hear he's a sweetheart. Albeit a rib crusher too! All right, give me a minute to grab those berries I promised."

With that, the red-haired smith disappeared through the door of the workshop. It took a few minutes before she reappeared, holding out a handful of smallish, slightly unripe-looking berries, a couple still dusted with snow. A little sheepishly, she offered them to the Ursaluna, before beckoning to Howard.

"Well, he seems easygoing enough, so if you vouch for his temperament, I'll take your word for it," she commented, smiling appreciatively and brushing off her hands. "All right, let's get started."

After only a second's hesitation, she prudently locked the front door and ushered Howard and Doug into her workshop. After finding a reasonably roomy yet out-of-the-way corner for the Ursaluna to rest and snack, she pulled out a spare leather apron, heat-resistant gloves, and safety goggles for Howard. She resisted the urge to check and double-check the fit of his goggles before sliding her pair on.

Arming herself with a small flashlight and a pencil, she laid the Gigaton Ball and its schematic side-by-side on a worktable. With the tiniest pry bar she could find and several grunts of effort, she carefully wedged the Pokeball open. Leaning forward, she delicately used the tip of her pencil to industriously rummage around through the mechanisms inside, with several pauses to look back at the schematic for reference.

"Here, you can look with me if you like and point things out," she told Howard over her shoulder. Turning back to the Gigaton Ball, she marveled, "This is truly lovely metalwork. So detailed, so intricate. Thank you again for bringing this to me."

Buried up to her wrist in the Gigaton Ball's workings, Aurelie shone the flashlight into various nooks and crannies. Her eye was wide and fascinated, her lips pursed in concentration. Finally, she remarked aloud, "I think I see a few places where they may be issues..."

She indicated one spot with her pencil. "Here, it looks like the rachet on this sliding latch mechanism is jammed—see, you can see where there's tarnish on the end there." Then the pencil eraser pointed to an area on the other side. "And here, that spring looks like it simply snapped in two, so now there's nothing holding those pins apart.

"And finally, I think there's wear and tear, or maybe even corrosion damage...which I guess makes sense with those Megalopolans and their toxic chains..."
Aurelie permitted herself a grimace and a small shudder, before continuing, "…on these gears over here. And on this three-way switch too—see, there's pockmarks on the underside there.

"Now, all this looks like things I can either repair or replace, thankfully,"
she concluded, raising her head from her examination and meeting Howard's eye. "But not all in one day. I can start on a new spring and those gears today. Then tomorrow, we can address the rachet and other issues. Sound like a deal?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 19:58:52 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
He listened to Aurelie as she explained her plan to repair the Pokeball. His eye grew as large as the Gigaton Ball itself by the time it was over.

"That's incredible. I only caught the gears and the strings when I tried to poke at it. How'd you get so good at this?"

The answer was obvious, of course. Practice. Practice and practice and practice. This was the type of skill that blossomed after years of hammering on ingots to make gears, springs, and other works of metallic art that danced the fine line between pristine and practical. Practice was the greatest whetstone in the world, and time was the greatest dullard.

"I recommend a heavier spring. It shouldn't break while I have it, but Hisuians didn't have access to the premiere ore we use today. This was probably the strongest they could make. No wonder it broke." His eye flicked to hers. "You have no such limitations."

In the corner, Doug munched contently on the berries. As the two chatted, he eventually rolled onto his back and began to snore. Hopefully he wouldn't wake up from his rest for a while. Howard could only accept his ribs being crushed once a week, and infringing on Aurelie's hospitality was both rude and uncouth.

"The Hisuians believed that making Pokeballs was an art form. It was the ultimate symbol of trust between humanity and Pokémon. Each Pokeball was a symbol of utter love and care." His fingers danced over the engraving as he lectured. "It's art because they believed it as such."

knew more about Hisui than Howard did, but the admin was no slouch in the field. Howard looked over the schematic again, then turned to the smith.

"How do you get the ore for projects like these?"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 2:05:12 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie glowed at Howard's heartfelt praise, her face breaking into a gratified smile as he applauded her attention to detail. Considering that she didn't usually work on tinkering with fine mechanisms like those within the Hisuian Pokeball, his praise meant all the more to her.

"It's just practice," she answered his question, unconsciously echoing his own thoughts on how she—or anyone, really—gained their expertise. "Just like you probably have a lot of practice excavating into the ground or identifying and preserving historical artifacts you find, I'm really used to squinting at diagrams looking for tiny details like this."

She could tell she was relaxing around him again, acting and speaking more informally around him than she probably should around a Rocket admin. Somehow, in her forge, though, it didn't feel so dangerous. This was more her home ground even than the shop was, and she could tell that Howard respected both the chamber and her craft.

"You should see the schematics that some of my customers bring for their custom commissions," the red-haired smith added with a chuckle. "Whether it's a history professor demanding an exact replica of a famous museum piece or a fantasy nerd asking for a key-blade for their next convention...

"They all want everything to be perfect, exactly how they imagine it, down to the tiniest detail. And they want it to be practical too."
She laughed ruefully and shrugged, shaking her head.

At his suggestion of a heavier spring, she pursed her lips thoughtfully. "A thicker or heavier spring might work, but I was thinking to use a nickel alloy for the spring. Nickel offers incredible tensile strength for its weight and density and is highly corrosion- and temperature-resistant to boot, so it should be a perfect spring material."

And definitely one of those materials he was just talking about that the historical Hisuians probably didn't have access to, she reflected, listening to Howard share his insights of Hisui. It was fascinating, for someone who knew as little about the region as she did.

After his lecture, she had a strong feeling she'd want to visit someday, just to study their engineering marvels and achievements some more. A region that saw metalworking and mechanical creations as art? Definitely Aurelie's kind of place.

"Alloys and metals like that, I can just order on the internet," she replied off-handedly to his final question about the ore. "A marvel of the modern world, I guess. I have a few favorite metallurgical suppliers from Kalos and Unova, but there are some labs and manufacturers in Hoenn that can supply high-quality metals too."

Again, Aurelie pursed her lips and gazed at the Pokeball's interior, before shrugging and reaching for a Dremel tool. "Well, no better time to get started than the present!

"Can you go over to the third shelf to your right, open the green box, and get out one of the carbon steel brushes inside, please?"
she asked, pointing to Howard's right and marveling that she felt so comfortable ordering a Rocket admin about. "That should help with cleaning off the rust and tarnish off most of these mechanisms in here."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 9:15:31 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"The internet, huh?"

Damn. Howard had hoped it wouldn't come to that. He could talk about Kalosian suppliers, shipping lanes, and supply chains for hours and hours. He could ramble about how the Kalosian ports of Cyllage and Coumarine and ore shipments, but instead it came down to the elusive 'internet' that Howard still hadn't figured out.

Having a grunt set up his computer was one of the most awkward experiences in his life. Man, the internet... Wasn't there an app called Grubbinhub or something?

Howard realized that Aurelie was talking.

"Yeah, I've got it. We use something similar for dusting off fossils when we excavate them. Replace rust with dust, but it's the same concept. Dusting away to reveal what's underneath. It's similar to what you said about perfection..."

The admin's hand rested on the box for a second as he gathered his thoughts.

"There's an idea of perfection, but nobody knows what it is. When you forge a sword, there's an idea of that blade in your mind. An idea that you try to recreate in reality. Fossils are similar. When you extract one, you hope for a flawless specimen. An ideal that you desperately hope to reach."

The green box opened and shut with a clang and a click.

Perhaps it was due to the recent promotion, but being ordered around didn't bother Howard much. Getting tools was far easier than cleaning out the bathroom during one of Wo-Chien's many rages. The other admins would loathe him for it, but the rank of admin felt wrong on the archaeologist.

He loved the field and the open outdoors. He loved the feeling of stone and dirt and sand. To trade that for a pencil and paper and a soft cushy chair had been a stark contrast. It had been nice for the first week, but now... what was he? In a sense, he envied Aurelie. She was a grunt and blacksmith both.

Kill the archaeologist and let the admin be born.

"Here." He handed the brush to Aurelie, before peering at the Pokeball. "I've worked with artifact restoration, but carbon steel is bold. You're not afraid of scratching the metal?"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 23:32:01 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie smiled softly at Howard's philosophical musings in response to her comment about clients who wanted perfection. Tears stung her eye as his words touched on memories she'd buried deeply, each of them fond enough to hurt.

"I remember my mother and father used to argue about the idea of perfection all the time," she found herself saying. "You've probably heard of my father Cuprous Lefevre...well, maybe not, here in Hoenn," she amended hastily.

The red-haired smith hastened to explain, "My father is an extremely brilliant and respected blacksmith in Kalos, though my entire extended family is pretty well-known for metalworking. My mother, who was a jeweler, thought anything less than perfect beauty wasn't worth pursuing.

"My father would say something like what you just said, about how perfection is an idea that exists in the mind but maybe not in reality. So, chasing perfection to him was like chasing the impossible. He used the phrase 'perfect Is the enemy of good' a lot."
Her expression grew wistful.

If Howard were listening carefully, he might detect an undertone of something different in her tone. A hint of deeper emotion: a somber timbre of longing or homesickness, perhaps even sorrow.

Then Aurelie shook her head, as if to clear it of the cobwebs of the past, and shrugged, forcing herself to smile at him again. "I always thought the idea of perfection was kind of a silly one, personally. How would we flawed human beings ever achieve a state of flawlessness? And what would we do if we ever got there?

"We'd be stuck forever, never needing to change or grow or strive for anything ever again. What else would be left for us to accomplish? Wouldn't that be kind of boring?"
She chuckled lightly. "And Arceus forbid that we ever become bored, right?"

As she held out her hand for the brush that Howard passed over to her, she pursed her lips thoughtfully at his question. Her brow creased for a moment in consideration as she lowered her gaze to peer closely at the Pokeball's mechanisms herself. For a few moments, the only sound in the workshop were the low, rhythmic snores of Doug the Ursaluna in the corner.

"You might be right that a carbon steel brush would be too much," she murmured, frowning. "I've always used one for polishing, but I realized that was for fully hardened steel, which is strong enough to break diamond drill bits."

Setting the brush aside, she nodded again at the green box next to Howard. "Okay, you should see some softer brass brushes in there at the bottom. Hand me one of those, will you?

"And while you're doing that..."
Still holding the Gigaton Ball in one hand, she walked over to her shelf of unusual alloys and began rummaging through the small cubbyholes for the nickel-chromium alloy she'd been thinking of for the spring. "Aha! This should be enough for me to cut and draw out into a wire to be coiled on the lathe, using the world's tiniest axis, for the right size of spring to put inside here."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 20:56:37 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Your perspective is delightfully refreshing. Perfection, though... necessary. It is not the concept that is flawed, but the execution. To be perfect is to be absolute, and the only absolute thing in the world is truth."

People had been using the pursuit of perfection as their justification for atrocities for thousands of years. It was, ironically enough, the perfect buzzword. It was almost on the same level as 'glory' for Team Rocket, a mantra that sat on the tongue of whoever marched with the organization.

Glory. Howard wondered how Kanto felt when they got a taste of Team Rocket's 'glory'.

"It's just an idea. An idea that we use to keep improving over the course of our lives. It's the dream we sup upon, we inheritors of arcadia." His eye crinkled as he smiled. His own father hadn't spoken to him in years. Howard preferred it that way, lest his family learn how far he had fallen. "I know a lot of Kalosian history, but not a lot on its current climate. Your father seems like an interesting man.

With a sigh, Howard looked up for a moment.

"I'd like to hear his story, one day."

There were too many people in this world, and he had not enough time to accumulate every tale they had to tell. What sort of historian allowed for people to be forgotten?

Aurelie's words brought him back to reality. What sort of story did she have to tell?

"Got it, boss lady." Howard smirked as he fumbled around in the green box for a few moments. After a while, his eye fell on several potential brush candidates. He ruminated on them for a few moments, before realizing that Aurelie might get impatient.

He'd simply take them all.

"Here, I pulled out three. One of these should work." He placed them next to the smith, before peering at the alloy she produced. "Do you really have the world's smallest axis?"

He seemed doubtful.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights