Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
The Most Random Commission [M]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 17:40:15 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]A Unique Undertaking
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Listening to Howard ruminate aloud extemporaneously about the nature of perfection, truth, and the absolute, Aurelie suddenly pictured him standing in front of a blackboard in a tweed jacket and fedora, lecturing a classroom of fascinated students about history. But no, that didn't seem quite right. He didn't seem like the tweedy sort, despite his clearly academic leanings.

No, I've got it, the redhead decided as Howard paused, deep in thought. This time, she mentally cast him in the role of a toga-draped philosopher under an olive tree, posing difficult questions about ethics, virtue, logic, and politics to his audience. She smiled, pleased with the image.

I like this admin, she realized. And...I think it might be safe to relax around him. Howard struck her as someone whose strength came not from his sheer power and prowess but from knowledge—and humility. Someone who was both smart and wise was a rare combination indeed.

"My father would've liked you, I think," she replied, her eye going misty with melancholy nostalgia. "He's always cared a lot about history and tradition, so I think he'd enjoy debating and talking with you.

"He might even know what in the world you mean by 'we inheritors of Arcadia'."
The red-haired smith grinned self-deprecatingly as she pulled out a rod of nickel-chromium alloy and headed to the chop saw, turning her back to Howard as she positioned the rod.

"Actually, my father's love of history is probably why I don't have as many depth perception issues, despite...well." Aurelie turned on the chop saw, with a loud whirring noise. "In the old days, blacksmiths all wore an eyepatch to protect their other eye from sparks.

"So, he'd insist that he and I should learn how to smith with an eyepatch on. It was really strange at the time, but..."
She trailed off and shrugged. "It's come in handy since, for sure."

Once she'd gotten the rod cut down into the width of a wire, the red-haired smith absently accepted the brushes from Howard. Aurelie headed to the forge and switched it on, while deftly using a pair of tongs to insert it inside. Unlike the billets or ingots she usually heated, the length of wire glowed cherry-red and deformed in only a few minutes.

"No, I don't actually have the world's smallest axis...or mandrel, I think is the right term," she chuckled. "I wish I did, for a spring this small! But we should be able to manage."

Swiftly snatching the wire out of the forge with the tongs, she spun around and rushed toward the lathe, selecting the smallest-diameter mandrel she had available. After a few cursory waves to let the metal cool just enough so that it wouldn't set the lathe aflame, Aurelie began winding the wire on the lathe with a humming, droning sound. The wire began gradually to coil into a spiraling spring.

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

| Mission: Post-Mud, Blood, & Iron

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 0:10:37 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"When this war between Rocket and League is over, there will be ash and suffering. It will be up to the victors to build a better tomorrow for our children. But the world built on that day will be a blank slate, a blade to be reforged. Flawless. In a twisted way, it will be perfect. We're the generation that will inherit that right." The admin put a hand on his hip.

"We'll inherit the right to Arcadia. The power to make a better tomorrow."

The admin had little power, and what he did could not be traditionally applied. That was the distinction between him and his contemporaries. Bee was adept, Jayden a warrior, Fern a jester who mocked the game while pretending not to play, but Howard? He was new. He lacked authority. Weight.

All he had was rank and paper. A paper shield was better than one forged in steel, the admin had found. There was a rigidity to Rocket's hierarchy that reminded Howard of a suit of armor. Protective, yet encumbering. A warrior of the pen who fought off foes with his signature while Aurelie fought enemies with a forge hammer.

He admired the freedom Aurelie had as a grunt. The ability to solely focus on her work. That had been why he joined Rocket, but somewhere along the way he had been promoted to pencil pusher.

Yet there was a gentle strength to bureaucracy. Where warriors once had to fight for the right to make change, quiet office workers did so with much more efficiency. Aurelie was a smith, wielding an ancient art to the best of her ability in the modern age. He was an archaeologist who tried to learn from the past.

Perhaps they had both been left behind in the times. For Howard, it was best to focus on that negative rather than comment on Aurelie's father. If anything, he and his daughter were the philosophers, not Howard.

"So that's why you have an eyepatch?" The admin blinked slowly. He hadn't wanted to ask about it. His own eye injury was a sore subject. "That makes sense."

He focused on the forming spring for a spell. Eyes. Sight. Historians and smiths needed to see. Frayed nerves twitched around the socket. It occasionally felt like burning, like molten metal splashed onto the wound. An experience smiths had suffered from since the beginning of time.

"That's an excellent spring, wow!" Howard turned to Aurelie, eye sparkling. "What now? Will you reassemble the Gigaton Ball piece by piece, or forge everything first?"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 23:27:02 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]A look of comprehension dawned on Aurelie's face as Howard explained what he meant by the phrase "we inheritors of Arcadia", followed by a look of awe and thoughtful speculation. This, however, was immediately followed with a cynical smirk, with a glint of what might have been sadness in her eye.

"Thank you for explaining about inheriting Arcadia and all that. I'd never heard of that phrase before," she replied gravely. "Now that I know, though, I just..."

She paused, uncertain of how to phrase the many doubts that flooded her mind at Howard's distant yet hopeful vision. What makes you think the war between Rocket and League will end in our lifetimes? Or ever? she wanted to ask.

Why do you think any future world would be any better than the one we have now? What makes you think we—or our descendants—will ever actually learn from history?

"I just wonder whether most of what you said will ever really happen," Aurelie finally said aloud. "Aside from the ash and suffering. But I don't have faith that people will ever be wise enough to stop fighting a war or learn from their mistakes."

It was a lovely dream, though. And it made her like Howard all the more, because he genuinely seemed to care about building a better tomorrow, and not just a tomorrow in which he reigned supreme or had infinite wealth or anything like that.

Realizing she was just standing there holding the finished spring, Aurelie shook her head rapidly as if to clear it of cobwebs and then nodded at the admin. "Right! Ahem. Anyway, yes, so my plan is to reassemble the Gigaton Ball piece by piece.

"That way,"
she explained, returning to the aforementioned Gigaton Ball and carefully sliding the spring into the correct position, "I can see how all the parts of this ball work together. I don't want to make everything ahead of time, only to realize it won't fit where I thought it would because I didn't understand some mechanism or action of a different part."

With a satisfied smile, Aurelie let the new spring settle into place with a soft click, holding two pins in the back so that they could be held apart or pushed together when the Pokemon inside was released or summoned back. "Et voila! One part finished. Now, let me see if I can make some new gears to replace the ones that look like they took some acid corrosion damage..."

Lifting her gaze to meet Howard's, she trailed off as she caught sight of the eyepatch that covered part of his face, much like the one over her own right eye. A long sigh escaped her in a surge of nameless emotion, at once warm yet melancholy and grim.

"As...as for my eyepatch," the red-haired smith found herself saying, to her own surprise. Her voice was quiet and toneless, as if she were reciting an Arcian catechism. "I was working in the forge and...my safety goggles fell off at the wrong moment. And there was some hot metal..." She swallowed, visibly.

"So, it was a lucky happenstance that my father taught me to smith with an eyepatch on when I was young." Now, Aurelie's voice was deadpan. One corner of her mouth lifted in a rueful half-smile, even as a tear glinted in the corner of her eye. "At least, now, I know how to maneuver around a bit with only half a field of vision, even around fire and sharp things."

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2024 7:53:11 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
A flash of fire and metal, and thus sight was no more. It was not a grand tale, but it did not need to be. She had lost her sight fulfilling her passion, as did he. If his tale was as mundane as Aurelie's, Howard would've been able to forget his own story.

A flash of silver, a series of screams, his beloved Aerodactyl screeching. Pain.

Stop. He could control his own thoughts. A coward he was, but his sacrifice had been one of blood and passion and fervor. A proclamation of his dream, and a desire to continue chasing it. Even if that meant turning his morality to ash by joining Rocket, he would pursue that eternal love of history.

Until everything was chronicled, there was no need to stop. Until their descendants learned, there was nothing to be done.

If that meant marching forward, undying yet eternal, the admin would do so. History was a flat circle, and that meant Howard would chase his dream for eternity. Aurelie would hone her craft for eternity. That was the nature of passion. To accept any other definition was to admit that this path had been a mistake.

If Howard did that, he would break down into tears.

"I'm sorry. On the bright side, it makes costume parties easier." He attempted to cheer the smith up. "I've been a pirate for the past eight years, and it hasn't failed me yet."

Silence. As she questioned his motive, the smile slipped from Howard's face.

"They have to. They will, because it's in our nature to improve. We're creatures who revel in wanton suffering, but I have to believe that we can be better. Otherwise, we would've died out long ago."

Pessimism and optimism rolled into one. A personal philosophy so incomprehensible that Howard occasionally questioned his own logic. Yet nobody could doubt his faith in humanity, least of all him. If anyone doubted, that's when the cracks began to show. If Aurelie questioned him, he had to be confident. If he could alleviate her concerns, then perhaps he could alleviate his own.

It was better this way. He could trust Aurelie more if she were a critic. Blindly following a mantra was why mankind failed to improve.

"Shall we start on the gear?"

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,011 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2024 17:29:47 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]There had been more to the sequence of events that led to Aurelie's losing an eye than she shared aloud with Howard, though not too much more. The rest of the world believed it to be an accident, caused by her own carelessness with safety equipment and forging work.

But she remembered the strap on her safety goggles that she later discovered hadn't been frayed but cut with scissors. The glitter of a skulking Sableye—her brother's, she was sure of it—out of the corner of her eye as it prowled through the workshop. The sharp push from behind by clawed hands, as she was in the middle of hammering a bar of red-hot metal sending up showers of glowing sparks.

And of course, a series of screams. Pain. Betrayal.

Aurelie wondered what it was like for Howard and why it happened. Yet, she couldn't force the question past the lump in her throat. It'd been two and half years, and it was still too soon.

She did chuckle, though, when Howard joked about the eyepatch making costume parties easier. His view about humanity's capability to learn and grow made Aurelie wonder if he lost his eye in a natural disaster or some other way that didn't involve other people. Otherwise, surely no one could have such a rosy view of the thing that caused you to lose a major sensory organ, right?

Isn't there some myth of a god who willingly sacrificed his own eye for wisdom? Aurelie thought. I could kind of see Admin Slayte doing that…

When Howard mentioned the gears, the red-haired smith seized gratefully on the change of subject. "Right, yes, the gears. Of course. Let me see..."

Looking visibly relieved, Aurelie bent to examine the schematic again, turning it this way and that and squinting her eye at the tiny details and labels for the interior. "This schematic really is excellent. It doesn't just show how everything fits together; it also has measurements, diagrams, and separate wireframe close-ups of the important parts. Like these gears!

"I thought we'd have to take them out first, before I could measure them and make sure they were an exact match,"
she went on to explain, her voice gaining strength and confidence again as she immersed herself in the joys of work, rather than the tragedies of the past. "But with these diagrams, you and I can work in parallel."

Hefting the Gigaton Ball, she handed it carefully to Howard, before nodding toward a selection of picks, hooks, wrenches, screwdrivers, and Dremel tools on a nearby worktable. "Can you handle removing the tarnished gears? I feel like I can trust you'd be very careful." She grinned briefly.

"Meanwhile, I'll work on making new gears." Humming happily, she sorted through her metals until she found a sheet of titanium alloy she liked and measured out small discs exactly the circumference listed for the gears. Then she headed to the circular saw.

A furious buzzing noise reverberated from the machine as Aurelie cut out the discs, sparks flying from the sheet metal as she maneuvered it carefully through the saw blade. Once the discs were cleanly cut, she brought them back toward Howard's table to select a Dremel tool.

"Ah, the perfect size to create the gear teeth," she said with satisfaction. Then she glanced over toward the admin. "How's your progress so far?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,733 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Apr 25, 2024 0:21:30 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Well!" He looked up from his unceremonious prying at the gears with a screwdriver. Several were tarnished, stuck, or otherwise unsalvageable. Being stuck in the mud of Route 119 had gunked up the works, and that was after being transported through time and space. "I'm about halfway done."

Still, using a screwdriver to pry gears off made him feel unceremoniously stupid, like using a garden trowel to dig for fossils. He had done that before—trowels are fine on a budget—but still.

What had she said? I can trust that you'd be very careful? Right.

"The schematics are nice, right? Wasn't very easy to make them, I'll tell you that. Still, nobody had bothered to make a schematic of this thing." The admin smiled faintly as he tapped it with his knuckle, deep in thought. "Being the first to do it felt strange, like I'd mess it up. It works, though. Who am I to judge?"

As he tried to pry off another gear, he wiped his forehead. This smithing thing was pretty tough! He didn't know how Aurelie did it as a full time thing. He was winded just by messing with the gears, let alone the actual forging process. Archaeology was a tiring process, but it was rarely physically demanded. It required patience.

That, he had in abundance.

"Still, it had to exist. The schematic, I mean." He gave Aurelie a look. "When we discover something, it should be written down and chronicled for all to see, so we don't forget."

The last tarnished gear came flying out, donking the admin on the forehead.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights