Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2023 17:17:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
TO: (josh.devlin@hoennleague.gov)
CC: (elinor.anderson@hoennrangers.gov)
MISSION: "Capsized"
PROTOCOL: Rescue
DANGER: ★☆☆☆☆

We have received a distress call from a couple in their late thirties. They were kayaking along the Fiora River and were separated from their Prinplup when their vessel was capsized in a wild Pokémon attack. The Prinplup was reunited with them, but lacks the strength to help the couple get their kayaks home. They are now stranded on an island in the middle of the river with her. Bring them back to Littleroot Town.

Your objectives are as follows:

A) Rescue the stranded couple
B) Minimize wild Pokémon casualties

Please see attached area map for the couple's coordinates.

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

It was Josh's first day back on the job since receiving the return-to-work authorization from Dewford, and he needed an easy ticket to work. No more barging into Team Rocket warehouses filled with goons trying to turn him into Swiss cheese. No more taking lives in the name of dismantling Rocket operations. He could get back to one of the things he enjoyed most:

Saving lives. Not taking them.

The mission couldn't be any simpler. Almost no risk. No searching. It was as simple as playing chauffeur for a couple in need. Not to mention, he would be reuniting with the former Councilwoman that helped him get to where he was at today. He gave Elinor a great big hug if she allowed it, perhaps shocking her by mistake after being on Toralf, perhaps the largest electric rodent his friend had ever seen, for too long. "I never thought this day would come. You were the one who trained me. And now I'm the one training you. I hope you remember the basics, cause this is about as basic as it's gonna get."

Josh had brought a towing harness with him just in case; he wasn't sure the two got their kayaks to the river in the first place. He had water Pokémon to help get the kayaks back on the mainland, and he had a whole pride of Pyroar to help the couple across the land. He was ready for anything, as all Rangers should be.

{WC: 373}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Toralf        Raichu         Good
Aslan         Pyroar**       Good
Rani          Pyroar         Good
Kion          Pyroar         Good
Ulysses       Dewgong        Good
Roil          Gyarados       Good
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Verdanturf Ranger Captain
Single and Ready to Mingle
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2023 18:05:57 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Josh seemed as eager as always, going straight for a hug the moment he saw an opportunity. And who was she to deny him? She had to admit. She had missed her fellow Ranger, and the small static shocks that he accidentally gave her didn’t dissuade her one bit.

With a chuckle she replied “So do I!” And with a cheeky grin on her lips she continued. “Lars will never let me hear the end of it, if I mess this up.” She could just imagine all the ways in which would be able to use a failure here against her.

But first they had to get to the couple in distress. Luckily their location was known and so, it was only a question of riding there. And as transportation for the day Elinor had picked her Metagross, a surprisingly uncommon sight in her roster.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2023 4:04:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
had scolded Josh many a time, and it at last had been beaten into his skull why. Among his Gym commitments, his Ranger work, and his former self's fruitless pursuit of Raikou, he had at last realized where he had fallen short. For most with a work ethic issue, it was only wanting to do enough to get by at their jobs.

For Josh, it was his tendency to overwork himself. It took a personal visit from Top Champion to at last get him to understand why he was declined for the Elite Four. He could not do a proper self-evaluation. If he could not do a proper self-evaluation and recognize his work ethic was self-toxic, he was not one to be the judge of others' character. It was perhaps the most important duty the supersoldiers had. In that moment, it dawned on him that the role he was in, that of Gym Leader, was perfect for him the way he was.

"Fearsome Pokémon," Josh complimented Elinor on the Metagross. "It's probably the Pokémon I get asked the most about... why I don't ride one, given how fast they can move. There's something about being able to feel what your Pokémon can do." What he could not find the words for were was what all his ride Pokémon had in common: their bodies were the right shape to sit on straddle-style. Metagross was a Pokémon that could only be ridden sidesaddle. He wasn't sure what it was, but that particular style is what made him feel in his element.

As Toralf bounced toward their destination, keeping up with Bel for the time being, Josh felt it was a good time to catch up. "So what you been up to the last few months? You picked a good time to take a leave of absence. Dewford Two was horrible."

{WC: 315}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2024 7:55:30 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
Metagross made some happy-metagross-noises at Josh’s recognition. It was nice to feel appreciated.

“Yeah riding one of these definitely takes some getting used to.” Elinor admitted. She was no expert on the matter, so she honestly couldn’t get into the nitty-gritty of saddle making with Josh, which was a shame.

“I’ve been visiting family in Alto Mare.” Elinor explained. “I was originally going to stay there longer, but homesickness got the better of me.” A small sigh. Perhaps staying in Alto Mare had been but a feeble attempt at running away from the chaos of Hoenn. But because she had been born and raised here, she craved it, and honestly she missed ’s company as well.

“So, I’ll be the first to admit I haven’t kept up with the news. How did that Dewford Two go?” She had only heard the briefest of mentions so far, though she hadn’t actively pursued an recaps of it either.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2024 8:37:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Metagross was one of those Pokémon that a rider didn't sit on like a traditional Pokémon. They were more Pokémon ridden like surfboards. More like living, levitating chairs one would sit in. It wasn't the type of steed Josh looked for. He loved the ones that lightly bounced riders with every stride. Ones a rider could feel every running stroke of. Every wingbeat. Every stroke of a fin. Josh lived for that.

"Funny you left to visit family," Josh started to relate the tale of his own family. "Mine moved to Hoenn from Johto. Couldn't stand being apart from me now that my life's tied to the region. I still have to lead Mauville Gym, after all." That and his Ranger duties left him busy, but he loved them both too much to give them up.

"Dewford Two was a bloodbath. All for naught, too. Far as I'm aware from war reports, both the League and Team Rocket are kinda back where they started. I was on the front lines for that war. It was hell." He sighed, remembering the operations with , , and others. They were operations he could no longer share with Elinor, as her League credentials had long since been revoked. "I should show you the cup of Bullet Seeds they had to cut out of me. I was in the hospital for weeks. And... one of my Pokémon friends near and dear to me... didn't make it."

{WC: 246}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2024 18:20:28 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
Elinor listened to Josh’s tale first of family, and then of tragedy. If only she could feign surprise at that result. But by now it has become abundantly clear that try as they might the status que would forever be kept by forces unknown.

“I am sorry to hear that.” Elinor spoke. She could ponder results later, but that right there was the important part.

The Metagross that she rode spoke its condolences as well while it kept them on their path. Albeit what it said was done so in its own Poké-tongue leaving it quite impossible to understand, though its intent was still clear.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2024 16:33:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"It was Slider, my Braviary, that was killed in action," Josh lamented. "I miss him. Even if I catch another Braviary, it won't be the same." War and premature death were constants in Hoenn, a region ravaged by never-ending conflict. "A year ago, if I knew what I knew today, I never would have applied to be a Gym Leader, nor a Ranger in this region. Now, though? I wouldn't have it any other way. And I have you to thank for it." Had she never suggested Josh become a Ranger, he would never have achieved all he had in the region. He was a household name, the face of Mauville, and to a lesser extent, the face of sports in Hoenn.

A ping on Josh's RaiCorp Vision would set him back on task. "Keep an eye out for them. We're getting close," be briefly turned to Elinor and her Metagross as Toralf continued to run around the riverside in a bouncy fashion.

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 9:10:56 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
As Josh told his story and the thoughts he had about what had happened so far. She could not help but feel a bit guilty. He had been set upon the path that led to death of dear friends by her and her own traumas.

Deep in thought she felt the desire to blame Necrozma for all of this, for it had been the origin point. But deep down she knew that in doing so she would only be pushing away the responsibility she had for her own actions.

“I can’t take credit for all of that. It’s all you.” She replied. She knew if she had never made the suggestion he might’ve never taken the path. But still, all that he had done, all that Josh had built, was made by HIS hands.

“Will do.” Elinor replied as Josh alerted them to the proximity of their query. The Metagross made its metallic sounds as well, acknowledging the newly delivered information. It focused its mind to look out for the people they were looking for.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2024 17:52:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Thanks," Josh shed a singular tear that rolled down his cheek and off the back of it from the speed Toralf was running at. It was true; while Elinor did guide Josh down his path, his accomplishments were his own, and something he needed to take credit for. Humility was a great trait to have, but not to the point of self-deprecation. It was something he struggled with to this day, and perhaps one of the reasons may have felt Josh was not worthy of the title Champion.

If he wanted to be a Champion, he had to embrace his own pride. Healthily, of course. Without demonstrating that, he was sure would decline him, as well.

The river wasn't a huge one; there couldn't be too many islands in the middle of it. As the natural waterway widened, it split into two around one such island, motion catching Josh's eye. He shifted his sight toward the island, where two stranded people were waving toward the Metagross for help. "Elinor, I've got a visual at your one-o'clock," Josh relayed. Without a flying Pokémon, he would have to cross the river by water.

Slowing Toralf to a stop, Josh slid off the Raichu and withdrew him. He clicked the switch on Ulysses' Poké Ball, the Dewgong using his ICE BEAM to make a slick trail to get up to speed with. Once the Ranger was aboard, the ice-type slid into the river, paddling his way to the marooned couple.

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 1, 2024 19:11:19 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
“I see them!” Elinor confirmed following Josh as best she could.

Josh took the lead quickly making a bridge with the help of an ICE BEAM from his Dewgong. Rivers were not eager to let such bridges stay for long. If Josh planned to use it as a way back they would have to secure it somehow.

Luckily Elinor didn’t even need to mention this to her Metagross as it took one look at the bridge and realized what the most likely outcome of its continuing without reinforcement was. And so, shinning a mild blue displaying its PSYCHIC prowess the Metagross reinforced the ice-bridge with its mental powers, making sure it would stay intact for as long as Josh needed it to.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2024 21:51:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Ulysses' ice bridge glowed a faint purple-pink as Elinor's Metagross reinforced it. While the metallic psychic-type would prevent the bridge from collapsing in the river's current, it would still melt with three Pyroar running across it. The Dewgong finished swimming across the river, clicking open the Poké Ball containing Roil, his Gyarados.

The Elite Ranger greeted the couple. "Mauville Elite Ranger Devlin, but you can call me Josh. Can you two help me load your kayaks onto Roil here?" he pointed toward the well-behaved aquatic serpent. Despite being slightly smaller than the norm for his species, he more than had the strength to carry both Josh and the kayaks.

With a bit of help from Josh, the family was able to get the aquatic vehicles secured to the large water-type. "Now, hop on Ulysses, my Dewgong. He'll get you back to the mainland."

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 9, 2024 16:30:29 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
For all of Bel’s efforts his psychic powers could not deal with the heat of the crossing Pyroar. And so the bridge melted into the river at their crossing. And so they were caught on the other side of the river only able to watch as Josh and his cadre of Pokemon did what they did best.

But that didn’t mean Elinor could just sit back and do nothing. She had to be alert. “Bel, the chances are low. But still, should anything happen, be ready to catch them with your Psychic.” She instructed the Metagross upon which she sat.

The Metagross gave an acknowledging sound and readied itself.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2024 23:08:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With great teamwork, as well as quite a bit of convincing, Josh was able to ford the river alongside the couple and their equipment. Their clothes dripped from water splashing against them during the choppy ride. The Gym Leader was used to it, having trained Ulysses as a backup mount for the Silph Cup race in case Snacker couldn't complete. They didn't have such training, Josh flinching when they nearly lost their balance. All was well; the hardest part of their journey was over.

The Gym Leader withdrew his Dewgong and faced the couple, whistling for his three Pyroar to come. "Alright, the worst of it is behind us. The fastest way home will be on these Pyroar," he gestured toward the saddled fire-types, their seats bearing the Hoenn Ranger logo. "Rani, Kion, be gentle with them."

Once the two were securely aboard, Josh would climb onto Aslan's back himself. "Great work, Elinor! Couldn't have done it without you and your Metagross," he replied, offering the Captain a high-five. Even if they couldn't physicall touch one another due to being too far apart, the gesture was still there. "Now we just gotta get them back to Littleroot safely. Keep your eyes peeled for threatening Pokémon, okay? I gotta watch these two to make sure they don't fall."

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,591 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2024 8:29:59 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar
So fair their mission was a success. The people that needed saving was saved and brought over the river on Josh’s aquatic mounts alongside their equipment.

All was good. With the hard part over and done with they simply needed to transport the passengers back to civilization. An easy task. But even so, Elinor and her Metagross performed the work with the same professionalism as before.

Their watchful gaze kept an eye out for dangerous Pokemon lurking around. And luckily for all involved there seemed to be no such thing. Perhaps it was the presence of so many trained Pokemon that kept them from foolishly attacking. And honestly Elinor didn’t mind that one bit. It was nice with a bit of easy work.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Capsized [M][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 5:21:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The hardest part of their mission left was making sure the couple didn't fall from the backs of the Pyroar. Josh wanted to go fast enough to make good time back to Littleroot, but not so fast that the lions would be bounding. The duo had casually ridden a Rapidash once; the powerful gait of a Pyroar would have worn them out if they were pushed to any faster than a trot. That was what he kept the three Pyroar at, though he did let the guests steer Rani and Kion within reason. As Elinor had reasoned, it was the pride's presence that kept wild Pokémon away. Pyroar were fast and had great strength. They were dangerous Pokémon in the wild, which was why all of the Gym Leader's were raised from Litleo.

Josh glanced toward the sky, waving for Elinor to come down once Littleroot was in sight. It was a long ride, but they were almost there. The guest riders were holding up nicely, their small amount of experience with equines making all the difference. Even so, their thighs were killing them, and they couldn't wait to get back to town.

{PC: 8}