6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Christmas Coldsnap [DW][C/Nereus]
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2023 5:47:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was rare for Mauville to be this warm on the shortest day of the year. It was so warm that Josh could get in a swimsuit, harness up his water Pokémon, and bounce across the surface like a jetski on full throttle. Come springtime, the waters of Mauville Bay would be filled with buoys marking the bounds of an aquatic race course. He hoped to compete when the season started. For the time being, though, he wanted to blow off some steam and do what he loved to. What he had been deprived of after his extended stay at Dewford Regional Hospital.

Going fast.

Several large, saddle-wearing water Pokémon floated at the end of a pier off the coast. Lined up in the water were a Sharpedo, a Vaporeon, a Barraskewda, a Milotic, a Dewgong, and a Lanturn. As Josh slid off the pier and landed on Ripley's back, Snacker flailed in the water and snapped his jaw. The Barraskewda zipped toward the dark-type, Josh gently patting his snout. "You'll get your turn, Snacker. I promise."

{WC: 179}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Snacker       Sharpedo       Good
Ripley        Barraskewda    Good
Kairi         Vaporeon       Good
Ulysses       Dewgong        Good
Illumina      Lanturn        Good
Megalo        Milotic        Good
close tab

played by

Baal

He, Him
September 28
Humilau City, Unova
Homosexual
Cruise Line Owner
Civilian
Single
1,95m | 6'4'' height
1,95m | 6'4'' height
⚓ Make sail! Golden Treasure ship ⚓
awards
14 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nereus
Nereus Onassis
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2023 20:13:17 GMT
Nereus Onassis Avatar

The gentle swing of the tide soothed Nereus and Mera, his Horsea, both in a delicious swim under the bay of Mauville. The man, as usual, was only wearing swimming briefs. Like a true exhibitionist, he dived and then jumped on the surface, performing acrobatics that were at least jovial for someone his age. Mera tried to follow him as best she could, but she was afraid of going too far away from him, the poor thing was still too young for adventures on the high seas.

"Watch and learn, Mera" he pointed out with pride in his marine tactics. After the trick he threw his white hair to the side, splashing all the water with a certain charm and elegance. "Don't worry darling, someday you'll be as fast as me."

Words that left the little one hopeful! But one thing is for sure, Mera may not be that incredible at swimming, but she certainly makes up for it in the speed of her aim, after all, that's what won Nereus over.

"Or maybe as fast as that guy..." he said, pointing towards the pier where a young man was riding one of his Pokémon, apparently ready to practice some radical water sport. "Come on, let's take a closer look! Haha"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2023 21:50:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's hair stood on end as the Barraskewda's propeller-fin whirled, slicing the water and making a humming noise as Ripley started to jet across the bay. He pulled on the swimming hunter's reins with his right hand. Ripley's reaction was almost instant, the Barraskewda making a sharp turn to the right. The Pokémon was so nimble that he felt the urge to tug harder, causing the duo to swim in circles like one would do donuts in a slippery parking lot.

In the meantime, Megalo would put on a show of his own, the Milotic gracefully breaching the water in a swift DRAGON DANCE and giving Nereus a good look at the saddle he wore. Were all of the man's Pokémon trained to bear a human rider?

Snacker cut across the seas, trying to goad Ripley into racing together with their Aqua Jets. Josh kept the swift fish under control, only noticing the older man watching from the pier. Whistling for his Pokémon to gather at the pier's end, Josh stopped there to catch his breath after the intense swerving. He climbed the ladder at the end of the pier and sat with his legs over the edge, Snacker swimming right in front of his trainer.

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
40,788 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2023 5:26:41 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsaf"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD BUIZEL APPEARED!
[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] MALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] WATER VEIL
[attr="class","wildtabox"]WATER GUN
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]QUICK ATTACK
[attr="class","wildtabox"]BITE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]AQUA TAIL
[attr="class","wildtabox"] ---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"] WHAT WILL YOU DO?

[break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD ALOMOMOLA APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FEMALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] HEALER
[attr="class","wildtabox"]AQUA JET
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]WIDE GUARD
[attr="class","wildtabox"]PLAY NICE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]SOAK

[attr="class","wildtag"]

close tab

played by

Baal

He, Him
September 28
Humilau City, Unova
Homosexual
Cruise Line Owner
Civilian
Single
1,95m | 6'4'' height
1,95m | 6'4'' height
awards
14 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nereus
Nereus Onassis
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2023 13:40:53 GMT
Nereus Onassis Avatar

"What beautiful Pokémon you have, buddy!" Nereus waved Josh from the water to the pier where the boy was. The whole spectacle left both the businessman and his Horsea inspired.

In his attempt to approach the pier to maybe socialize, Nereus noticed some wild species that were enjoying the environment peacefully like him, such as a huge heart-shaped fish that swam calmly below the man's thick legs without caring about the human presence. Nereus only continued forward until he got closer to the pier.

"Hey there!" he greeted in his deep voice. He respectfully kept a certain distance because he didn't know how each of those Pokémon would react to his sudden presence.

Skipping

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2023 22:12:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Thank you!" Josh returned the compliments, his Pokémon partners surfacing as much as possible to show the gear they wore. They seemed proud of themselves to be trained to ferry a human over water, especially Snacker. That Sharpedo looked like he could zip across the water as soon as someone occupied the seat near his fin. Illumina blinked her light a few times, though it was not blinding in the daylight surrounding them. All the Pokémon seemed friendly enough, though the Sharpedo looked quite energetic.

"You've got a real knack for water Pokémon, don't you?" the Gym Leader asked, extending a hand for a handshake after standing up. "Gym Leader Devlin or Elite Ranger Devlin, but please, call me Josh." Before he could say any more, he heard the sound of whirling wind and a low, droning hum. Tilting his head toward it, he saw a wild Buizel stuck in the sand inverted, desperately whirling its tails to try to dislodge itself! Though the tails were soft and bushy, they were dangerous to touch while in motion, capable of cutting through soft objects when being used for Flying-type attacks.

Carefully approaching the beached water-type from the front, Josh grabbed the large specimen, his hair standing on end from absorbing the vibration its whirling tails created. Unable to lift it out on his own, he carefully loosened the sand between him and the wild before trying again. At last able to right itself, the wild leaped into Josh's arms and smiled. "You're free to go now. Be careful out there!" Without a thought in the world, the Buizel trailed Josh all the way back to the pier, the racer only noticing the water-type was still following him when he sat back down at the end of the pier. "Wait, you want to come with me? Are you sure?" After getting a nod from the orange swimmer. Josh set an empty Poké Ball behind himself for the Buizel to make its decision.

Catching buizel!

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
40,788 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 7:27:43 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD CORSOLA APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] NATURAL CURE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]POWER GEM
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]EARTH POWER
[attr="class","wildtabox"]BUBBLE BEAM
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]REFRESH

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD WATTREL APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] WIND POWER
[attr="class","wildtabox"]GROWL
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]PLUCK
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ROOST
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]DISCHARGE

[attr="class","wildtag"]

CAUGHT THE BUIZEL!
close tab

played by

Baal

He, Him
September 28
Humilau City, Unova
Homosexual
Cruise Line Owner
Civilian
Single
1,95m | 6'4'' height
1,95m | 6'4'' height
awards
14 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nereus
Nereus Onassis
POSTED ON Dec 25, 2023 21:14:35 GMT
Nereus Onassis Avatar

"Yeah... I tend to have a bit of an affair with aquatic pokémon, but not necessarily the water type, if you know what I mean..."

Nereus showed off his little Horsea on the edge of the pier as he braced himself with his strong arms to climb up in a single bound. "Nereus, Nereus Onassis by the way." He held out his hand for a greeting and was shocked at the idea that he was talking to an official gym leader. "Impressive! I haven't met many gym leaders in my life, although some of them are my clients out there..."

In the meantime, Josh spent a few minutes rescuing a Buizel, a maneuver that left Nereus very impressed. In the end, the pokémon stayed with the boy. "What a feat! It's full of pokémon around here, hm? Look over there!" To the right in the sea, Horsea was trying to get rid of a bothersome presence. A Wattrel was disturbing the water-type on the surface, perhaps it was thinking that it would be eaten...

"That's Mera. Listen, she's not so good at swimming yet, but her real talent is at aiming. Her aim is as fast as you, buddy. Check it out. Hey Mera! Fire! HAHAHA" he brandished loudly with a certain pride.

Horsea, realizing that her trainer trusted her, concentrated and focused on the flying opponent that occasionally crossed the surface. She decided that this was the right moment to attack, so all it took was one well-aimed Water Pulse bullet to bring the bird down.

"It's Gone! HAHAHAH Well done, Mera!" Finally, Nereus threw an empty pokéball at the fallen bird. "Well, I hope it works... that nice shot would be a waste, huh?"

Catching Wattrel

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2023 2:17:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh could appreciate the middle-aged man's passion for water-types; ARAVAN ESCHER, one of his Gym employees, wanted to be an oceanographer, but could not find a position in Hoenn for the time being. "Aww, the little one's cute!" Josh cooed, reaching to the top of the Horsea's snout and petting it if they allowed it. "I have a Kingdra back at Mauville Gym that I'm kinda wishing I btought. She's a good swimmer, but she's better for underwater than surface swimming. And it's a little brisk for that." While the water was warm enough to swim in, it got cold fast at the depths the dragon-type liked being at.

"Great to meet you, Nereus," Josh shook the man's hand if he allowed it. "Before I was a Gym Leader, I was a semi-professional Pokémon racer, and carried the craft into my Gym." That might have explained why every single one of his Pokémon wore saddles. Even the larger-than-life Vaporeon and Barraskewda.

Josh shook his hands after handling the Buizel. "It's part of being a Ranger, too," he replied. "Gotta know how to handle and calm wild Pokémon. Buizel are no joke, either; they're aggressive, and their bodies vibrate when their tails are going out of water." Floatzel were incredibly fast, but that was one nasty thing he would have to deal with if he wanted to ride one. If it leaped out of the water, it would be jarring for him at best, painful at worst.

After Nereus had thrown his Poké Ball, Josh slid off the edge of the dock and onto his Sharpedo's back, the dark-type excited that he finally got to show his stuff. "You'll find a lot bigger and rarer Pokémon farther away from the bay. You do much riding your water Pokémon in the summer?"

skipping!

{WC: 305}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

gremlin creature

the shadow mod
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
mod
googoo gaga
spiral is my big poppa pump (positive)
600 foot tall baby height
sleeping in mod reqs
awards
3,486 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mod
spiral and shiv's baby
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2023 20:58:40 GMT
spiral and shiv's baby Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD CHINCHOU APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] VOLT ABSORB
[attr="class","wildtabox"]DISCHARGE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]CONFUSE RAY
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ELECTRO BALL
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]HYDRO PUMP

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break][break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD SIMIPOUR APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] GLUTTONY
[attr="class","wildtabox"]LEER
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]LICK
[attr="class","wildtabox"]FURY SWIPES
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]SCALD

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break][break]

CAUGHT THE WATTREL!
close tab

played by

Baal

He, Him
September 28
Humilau City, Unova
Homosexual
Cruise Line Owner
Civilian
Single
1,95m | 6'4'' height
1,95m | 6'4'' height
awards
14 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nereus
Nereus Onassis
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2023 0:44:40 GMT
Nereus Onassis Avatar

"Hmm... ok, that's a problem." said Nereus after hearing Josh's proposal. "Unfortunately the only pokémon capable of supporting me to swim isn't here with me. He usually stays on the boat where I live, protecting..."

The pokémon he was referring to was a Dhelmise. The huge anchor was responsible for keeping the boat steady on Slateport's docks.

"But I don't mind swimming alongside my Horsea! I just can't guarantee that we'll be able to keep up with you and your Sharpedo HAHAHA"

So they both headed out into the bay as agreed. Horsea was a little nervous and intimidated by the Dark-type, but Nereus ensured her comfort by swimming calmly alongside her. Suddenly he got carried away and ended up leaving Horsea behind for a while. In the meantime, Mera was surprised by a friendly but showy and competitive pokémon who, like the pair, was simply swimming nearby. Simipour tried to get along with Horsea anyway, but as a defense mechanism she used a Smokescreen to ward him off.

"Hey! What's going on back there?" Turning around, Nereus noticed a puff of dark smoke slowly dissipating to reveal the ape pestering his pokémon. "Come on, Mera, show your power!" Then, encouraged by her mentor, Horsea fired a Dragon Pulse at the ape's face, confused by the smoke, and knocked it out with the blast.

"I can't miss my chance, right?" Said the big man, then threw a pokéball at Simipour. "I hope it works out... I really need a species like that to look after my boat."

Catching Simipour

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2023 15:55:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
If it was an issue of holding a rider's weight, that was not going to be as big of a concern as Nereus may have thought. "Ulysses and Megalo are pretty stout," he gestured toward the Dewgong and Milotic. Ripley was the only water Pokémon Josh had with him that could keep up with Snacker, but he had his doubts Nereus could even fit his entire body on the Barraskewda. "You're more than welcome to one of them while we're at sea." They both seemed used to ferrying others across water, no doubt due to Ranger experience.

Regardless of whether the older trainer swam or rode one of Josh's partners, they were off. "Some day, when your Horsea becomes a Kingdra, she'll be able to carry you across water, too. If you're ever by Mauville Gym, you'll be able to visit Keiga. She's often swimming about the channels out back."

While the Simipour wasn't a Pokémon Josh would use, Nereus' enthusiasm for it was a constant reminder that there truly was a Pokémon for everyone. While their battle was going on, a pair of lights beneath the surface caught the Leader's eye. Identifying them as the feelers of a Chinchou, Josh pushed on Snacker's steering fin, the dark-type making a wide right turn. "We're in Lanturn territory. Let's not linger for too long."

skipping!

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

gremlin creature

the shadow mod
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
mod
googoo gaga
spiral is my big poppa pump (positive)
sleeping in mod reqs
awards
3,486 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mod
spiral and shiv's baby
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2023 18:48:55 GMT
spiral and shiv's baby Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD CLOYSTER APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] OVERCOAT
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ICICLE CRASH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]ICE SHARD
[attr="class","wildtabox"]WITHDRAW
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]SHELL SMASH

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break][break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD ARCTOZOLT APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] GENDERLESS
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] SLUSH RUSH
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ICICLE CRASH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]DISCHARGE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ECHOED VOICE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]SLAM
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FREEZE DRY

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break][break]

CAUGHT THE SIMIPOUR!
close tab

played by

Baal

He, Him
September 28
Humilau City, Unova
Homosexual
Cruise Line Owner
Civilian
Single
1,95m | 6'4'' height
1,95m | 6'4'' height
awards
14 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nereus
Nereus Onassis
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2024 13:48:48 GMT
Nereus Onassis Avatar

"Oh, can I?" he responded to the boy's offer. So Nereus politely greeted Megalo the Milotic and mounted the sea creature of stunning beauty. "

Milotic actually had a very strong and resilient body for that man's size. The saddle on him was secure enough to perform quick and precise movements, but without losing elegance. Nereus could almost feel as if he were in one of his speedboats on the sea.

"I can get used to this, hm" his pleasure was undeniable. Mera tried her best to keep up, but she was still too young to reach Milotic's excellence. A look of envy grew on her face, but it wasn't the only face that reflected under the water. Suddenly a face showing a dark smile emerged from the surface and jumped into the sea, ejecting water behind its shell.

"No Way... a Cloyster!" exposed the man. "C'mon Mera, bring it to daddy!"

Obeying her master's implicit command, Horsea, although a little tired, expelled a well-aimed Dragon Pulse at the Cloyster, seeking to hit his face, however, the bivalve Pokémon was faster and closed its shell immediately, falling quickly into the water. Mera felt nervous at such audacity in blocking her shot. Then Cloyster opened his shell laughing at the situation. Shell Smash was the best answer he could find to then invest in attacks against the cheeky Horsea.

"That one's hard to fall... Try one more shot, Mera!"

Perhaps removing the strength of his shell hadn't been the best option. Although he used an ice strike to hit Horsea, she evaded with an Agility and then aimed another Dragon Pulse to knock him down.

"My turn!" Nereus took advantage of the fact that Cloyster was weak from the blow and threw a Pokéball at him, hoping that all of this would be enough to capture. Despite everything, Mera had done an excellent job! Nereus was contemplative about what Josh had said a while ago.

"You know what, Josh... I think your Keiga can teach my Mera many things and make her even stronger. We can schedule this meeting, what do you think?"

Catching Cloyster

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2024 7:52:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Megalo was gentle yet graceful with Nereus, the Milotic obedient to the guest rider's every command. It would be clear to him that the Pokémon, along with Josh's others, were trained in the art of speed at the detriment of other strengths they had. Even a traditionally slow Pokémon species could go fast in the Gym Leader's hands. "Fun, isn't it?" Josh smiled as he saw the white-haired man enjoying himself. Megalo was enjoying himself, too; it was rare that the competitive Pokémon got to swim so late in the season.

After the two had their fill, they returned to the dock to disembark, Josh withdrawing his team other than Kairi. The Vaporeon would be his steed for returning to Mauville proper. "Awesome! It would be my pleasure. Just go on Mauville Gym's website and schedule an appointment. I'll make sure she knows when you're visiting, so that she'll be ready. See you then!" With that, the duo parted ways, the Vaporeon bounding west with Josh aboard.

skipping!

{WC: 170}
{PC: 6}

img
The Shula Region