awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
[S][C/Andrea] Sightseeing in Sinnoh
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 17:23:19 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
As soon as they sat down to eat, Andrea and Jalapeño gorged themselves in tandem. It seemed that, when it came to food, the two were one in body and soul. They were also messy eaters, using their bare hands to grab as many tendies as possible like a Guzzlord greedily consuming everything in its path.

The voracious girl interrupted her feast only to stare back at Josh with a questioning look, barbecue sauce dripping from her lower lip like blood. "By the way... What's Ash Wednesday?" She asked, while wiping her mouth clean with a spare Kalosian fry, which she then swallowed.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 23:10:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Thoughts raced through Josh's head as he watched Andrea and her Fuecoco inhale their food. Was she even enjoying it? Josh was by no means a slow eater, but in his mind, this was crazy! All that flying around in her Sygna Suit must have let her be such a big eater. Josh certainly couldn't eat that much on a regular basis, or he would get too much of a belly for his Pokémon to bear his weight!

"It's the Wednesday around six weeks before Easter Sunday," Josh answered after finishing his current tender. "My family observes Lent in reverence of the Great One; we don't eat any meats on Fridays between Ash Wednesday and Easter. It's one of the reasons fish fries are so popular on Friday nights. It's our way to be grateful to the Great One for everything She's done to us."

{PC: 9}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Tiamat        Dragonite      Good
Alphamax      Garchomp       Good
Kokusho       Hydreigon      Good
Valoo         Drampa         Good
Sidewinder    Dragapult      Good
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2024 11:04:27 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Eating no meat sounds like a punishment." The ravenous PokéManiac mused, fitting an entire poultry finger inside her mouth. The little Fuecoco mimicked its mother's gesture, opening its crocodilian maw far and wide.

Despite their clear differences, Andrea did not try to belittle Josh's religion. She simply acknowledged that it wasn't for her. She was a carnivore through and through, like most dragons.

Having finished her food, the flamboyant cosplayer leaned back against her chair, arms resting over her belly. "What's your family like?" She asked Josh. "I don't think I've ever met them, not even in your birthday party."
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 20:13:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh, too, loved his meats. There was a reason he loved Unovan restaurants, especially sports bars. Barcades were a thing in Unova. In a way, Round One was a barcade: they were a bowling alley and an arcade in one. When he was in high school, Josh took bowling as an elective... and was never very good at it. Even after an entire semester, the highest game he ever bowled was... around 150. "Think of it this way, Andrea. We suffer in our current life to be rewarded by the Great One in Heaven in our next life. Our eternal life." It was something his ancestors had believed in going back to the 19th century. As long as his family had been keeping records.

At least he learned how to keep score by hand.

Josh still had quite a bit of his food to finish while Andrea was kicking back. "I wanted to get them in town fast enough to make it to the party in time, but we just couldn't get everything done," he answered. "As it turns out, moving is difficult for people in their sixties. Especially for one that's been on disability." He lamented it at times; going for a trail ride with his father would have been amazing. But with his breathing problem and his knee constantly bothering him, even getting in and out of the saddle with a psychic Pokémon's help would be troublesome.

"My mom's one of the best cooks you'll ever meet. It's been great eating her meals again. They're not only good, but good for you. She makes such good bean soups. Even simple sandwiches she puts so much care into; just the right amount of every condiment to make it taste perfect. Every year for Christmas Eve, she makes these mini-ham sandwiches in Alolan buns, about the size of the palm of your hand. Glazed with mayo on one side and a hint of mustard on the other. They're... addicting. So addicting. I always feel miserable that night." It wasn't just that, either; everyone in the family brought something delicious. And with his dad being having seven sisters, there was an overabundance of good food.

{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 11:52:44 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
“But I don’t want eternal life! I wanna get reincarnated as a Pokémon!” The young woman whined, her belief system quite different from the Johtonian youth’s own. By the sounds of it, it was based on alternating stages of death and rebirth rather than an eternal afterlife.

Despite their differences on the subject of faith, family was something they both held very dearly in their hearts. Josh’s adulation of his mother’s divine cooking gave Andrea a craving for dessert, but she knew that if she ate any more she could literally burst.

“Your parents must’ve had you when they were quite older. Mine had me in their early twenties.” The dragon enthusiast mused after doing the math in her head. “They might not be the best cooks around, but when it comes to taking care of Pokémon, they’re second to none! They love Pokémon so much that they regularly dress up like them! You can probably tell I took after them…” The eccentric cosplayer smiled sheepishly, while petting her beloved Fuecoco.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 3:34:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Despite Andrea ordering a larger plate of food than Josh did, she had finished hers first. While the Gym Leader was not a slow eater by any means, he was being more deliberate about enjoying his food. It also let his food settle more easily, which was important when his feet would be going flying across the panels, sounding like a drum machine as the combo counter rolled up.

"Well, there's... a little secret about that," Josh replied before standing up and whispering into Andrea's ear, "I was adopted when I was six days old." It was a well-kept secret; Andrea may have been the first person in Hoenn, outside his family, that learned of the revelation.

He sat down and finished the rest of his food with a belch. "Bet your family's popular around Halloween! I should show you my Raikou Avatar Halloween costume this fall. It's got a play sword and everything, like the real Knight of Thunder!" With that, he pushed his chair in, ready to grab a big bottle of water from the vending machine. "Ready to head back in? Based on the hours, there's probably been a shift change at the arcade. Long as we use the other entrance, no one should recognize you." Of course, if Andrea wanted to go somewhere else, Josh would happily follow along.

{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 11:07:29 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
His revelation caused the young PokéManiac to gasp. She was getting exclusive, juicy lore that no other Hoennian was privy to. "That means you and Jalapeño are the same!" She had also adopted her Fuecoco as a baby, after all. Granted, Andrea had never signed any official adoption papers, though not for lack of trying.

"Have you ever tried looking for your birth parents?" The self-proclaimed Fuecoco mother asked, but whether Josh answered that was within his own discretion. The topic of discussion soon shifted anyway, from Halloween costumes to what to do next. There was so much more sightseeing in Sinnoh to do.

"Unless they let my son in too, I'm not going back in there." Andrea firmly stated, hugging Jalapeño close to her chest. "Let's go somewhere else, somewhere where Pokémon are welcome. Or we could just... hang out?" She counter-proposed.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2024 3:41:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh laughed an Andrea's eccentric retort as he bought a large bottle of water from the vending machine, despite not going back into the arcade where he would work up a sweat. "Tell you what. One day when we inevitably are up at different times of day, I'll just come back here myself."

Once they were away from the table and started walking outdoors to a spot where they could take off on their dragons again, Josh answered her question. "No. They were... underage when they gave birth to me." He was the product of a teenage pregnancy. The product of two birth parents that had to give up their child because they were too young to take care of one. A true tragedy, yet bittersweet. He never would have been part of such a loving family without their selfless decision to give him up.

"Think the Super Contest Hall is open at this hour, Andrea?" Josh asked as he clicked open Kokusho's Poké Ball, climbing aboard the strong, three-headed dragon. "They don't have Super Contests in Hoenn!"

{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2024 11:44:16 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The woman mulled over what her friend had just divulged. His birth parents had been too young to raise him, while his adoptive parents were too old to have an active role in his adult life.

That contrast was partially reflected in Josh's own tragedy--a boy born too late to meet Raikou in the flesh, yet too soon to grow up in a world without war.

Well, that killed the mood, didn't it? They needed another outing to binge themselves. As the duo exited the food court, Andrea sent Chomper out, and rode on his back. If only she had been wearing her Hydreigon suit instead of her Fuecoco one, she could have flown herself, but alas.

"Sounds fun!" The dragon rider beamed at Josh's suggestion to visit the contest hall. "Let's see if those Super Contests are even half as good as TOUKON!" She added with a cocky grin.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 23:44:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
He wouldn't trade his parents for anyone in the world. They were the nicest, most supportive people, even if his father was a bit of an instigator at times. His mom was an incredible cook, and now he could indulge in her cooking regularly again. He didn't miss his nagging father, though, who constantly heckled him about one thing or another.

Once the two were in the air, Josh kept his eyes out for the Contest Hall. It was a prominent building, very distinct from skyscrapers that were downtown. Thankfully, the Contest Hall itself was not downtown, so traffic wouldn't be miserable. "Perhaps in the spring or summer, I can take you to the Devlin apartment in Mauville, where we're all staying now. I'm sure Jim wouldn't mind meeting you. Gotta warn you, though; he's a hell of a card player. Learned cribbage from his dad. That tradition goes back a few generations from what I understand." As the duo saddled up, Andrea brought up TOUKON, making Josh's smile disappear. "...Don't remind me. I thought they were gonna boo me off the stage."

It would not take them too long to get to the Super Contest Hall. They wouldn't be able to enter right away; the auditorium was being used for a Contest in progress. Were the two to enter the Hall and watch, they would see every Pokémon accessorized, wearing a variety of clothes, hats, pins, and the like. They also appeared to be performing to music of some kind. "Wow, these really are different than back home," Josh softly said to Andrea.

{PC: 13}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 10:24:12 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The young woman stifled a laugh at Josh’s comment regarding his… less than stellar performance. “Come now, you didn’t do THAT bad! I really liked your rodeo number!” Alas, even though she was the hostess, she did not decide who won those events. The RNG people did.

They might have arrived at the Super Contest Hall too late to register themselves, but they were just in time to spectate the competition that was already in progress, which lived up to the ‘Super’ name. Flashy costumes, flashy makeup, and flashy moves made for quite the flashy spectacle.

Even so, Andrea had some constructive criticisms. “It’s different alright, but everything looks kinda… samey? It’s like every one of their contests is a Beauty or Cuteness contest. Where’s the variety? And how can you be sure that none of those Pokémon were dressed up against their will?”

Sure, some Pokémon enjoyed having accessories put on them, but not all of them did. Trying to put a bow on Chomper sounded like a good way to get both of your hands bitten off.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2024 21:10:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The audience had their influence, yes, but collectively they had the same sway as any one judge. "...Thanks," Josh breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you liked it. I was really feeling it after I left the venue. How the heck does Shalin do it? I'm dreading her coming to my Gym. Extratone's vibration, even on his lowest setting, is so wild. Can't feel my legs and arms afterward." How did Treble's saddle not just... dissolve from the sheer power the Alolan dragon shook with? It was something he would likely never understand.

"I'm sure the variety is in the different themes," Josh answered, the dancing round just ending. An Electabuzz earned maximum points for the round after showing some truly fancy footwork. "I'd love to see that Electabuzz play Step Step Revolution... if they'd let Pokémon inside. There's always the home version! That reminds me, I need to set my pads back up again when I get home. I think my folks have something planned for Memorial Day if you want to see them!"

The final round was beginning, and it looked just like the Contests back home: Pokémon and coordinator putting on dazzling displays of moves that matched the theme. A THUNDERBOLT manipulated in the shape of a shield made Josh coo. "Wow..."

{PC: 14}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2024 22:35:01 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Thoroughly distracted by the fancy footwork on display and his daydreaming of Step Step Revolution, her friend did not address any of her concerns and criticisms.

"Well, the Pokémon look happy, so I guess that's okay..." Andrea muttered to herself, trying to enjoy the rest of the show without fussing about things.

To the surprise of only a few, the contest was won by everyone's favorite dancing Electabuzz, it along with its trainer taking the stage one last time to receive their ribbon.

"I had my doubts at first, but that was fun!" The young PokéManiac declared upon exiting the contest hall, before turning back to Josh. "Wanna head back to the hotel?" She asked.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 3:44:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
In Josh's mind, it wasn't that he was ignoring Andrea's concerns; he just didn't see the problems in the same way the cosplayer did. She seemed almost supernaturally in tune with her Pokémon, beyond what Josh's Sygna Suit was capable of. Every suit was different; Josh's enabled his Pyroar and Manectric to reach physics-defying speeds. Little did he know how directly he would be able to test that in the near future.

As the curtain fell to raucous applause, Josh stood up. "Sure, we can head back. It's been a busy couple of days. Think we've deserved some time to just relax. I'll have to get my console set up. Maybe some PokéParty 6 is in order." While not as fun without a full group of four, the mini-games could get hectic, especially it if meant the difference between buying a Badge on a critical turn!

{PC: 15}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 8:51:52 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The girl’s amethyst eyes widened with pure joy. “Oooh, I love PokéParty! I’m gonna play as Rillaboom!” She cheerfully announced. Hopefully, she would have better luck than the last time she had played PokéParty and kept landing in Blastoise Spaces.

Even though that game was notorious for ruining friendships, Andrea was looking forward to playing it with Josh. Plus, it would be a nice opportunity to rest after all that sightseeing in Sinnoh they had done.