Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,710 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2024 3:33:02 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
's meteor fragments was remarkably well defended.

Howard didn't know if had always been like this, or if Remiel had changed the protocol when Howard had expressed interest in the fragment, but the admin wasn't even allowed to see it without supervision. It was unfathomably frustrating to be so close, yet so far. If Howard was someone like Underboss Quinn, he could've simply smashed the glass while holding Remiel's body in one hand and Dr. Graves's in the other.

Alas, he was not . Remiel could thrash him in a battle, and Howard didn't want to take his chances with Dr. Graves.

Not only was it unproductive, but it got in the way of fulfilling his true objective here. Rocket needed those fragments. At least, Amor did. Regidrago was an entire world away, and both Howard and Amor wanted it back. Rocket needed one of its five golem protectors.

Regice alone simply was not enough.

"Woooooooow~" Howard's eye sparkled as he peered through the glass. This was commonplace for the museum's recent hire at this point. Whenever he went through the back of the museum for research, he would often forget his task in favor of researching something entirely separate.

"Those are from Meteor Falls! Oh, or maybe they've fallen through a rift! Oh, or maybe...!"

His cheeks reddened as he turned to the side and looked at his superior. Howard both hated and loved this man. Hated him for his success, loved him for it. Still, those emotions were tamped down.

"I apologize, Dr. Graves. Forgive my outburst."

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
i get by, but it's hard to forget in the smoke of denial and the fog of regret.
awards
384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 16:20:20 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gideon-wrap"]
[attr="class","gideon-main"]
[attr="class","gideon-words"]

had come to be quite the character in ’s professional life.[break][break]

He was known to be an over-the-top, effusive chatterbox when it came to the myriad collections within the museum at large and his contract work in particular. It was a passion the director could commiserate with, though did not necessarily express outwardly in a similar fashion. [break][break]

In a way, Howard reminded Gideon of . Perhaps that was why he’d grown fond of the man over time.[break][break]

How many times have you apologized for those outbursts? I’m beginning to think you’re not actually remorseful.” The untrained ear might hear this as deadpan criticism, but those who’d spent time with the inexpressive professor might recognize the barest inflection of a joke.[break][break]

I don’t recall where these fragments were recovered...” Gideon replied, now focused on the shards in front of them. “Let’s see, what does the I.D. tag say...

[attr="class","gideon-notes"]

[newclass=.gideon-wrap] margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; background-color: #272727; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border: solid 1px #232323; border-radius:3px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-wrap b] color: #d49f3a; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-wrap i] color: #cecece; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-wrap u] font: 800 12px Quattrocento Sans; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: #808080; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-main] padding: 25px; font: 13px Poppins; text-align: justify; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gideon-words] padding: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-notes] background: #2b2b2b; border: 1px #232323 solid; border-radius: 3px; padding: 15px 20px 15px 20px; margin: 10px 7px 0px 8px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-notes h1] text-transform: uppercase; margin-bottom: 0px; letter-spacing: 2px; font: 600 14px Poppins; color: #d49f3a; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-notes a] font: 13px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: .5px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49f3a; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,710 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 8:37:09 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
He knew the I.D off the top of his head. For Howard, it was practically his bible. Even if he wasn't allowed in the room with the meteor shards, he could read about them. That was no crime.

"Meteor shards from Meteor Falls, recovered by and during a survey." A short summary, but an appropriate one. Each shard would have an individual identification number and log about each time it was moved from containment.

Annoyingly, Remiel was meticulous. He would not let Howard touch them. For a puffed up frat boy, he was clever. He had to be, given his lengthy tenure in Rocket before turning his cloak.

Instead of dwelling on dark thoughts of Remiel, Howard instead turned his energies to the museum director. Thoughts revolving around Remiel were dark and thunderous, whereas Howard's thoughts on Gideon were more of a tumultuous gray storm. It was easier to flit between like and dislike for the director, rather than the limitless contempt reserved for the prince.

"Remorseful? Me? Never." If he took it as a joke, Howard hit it well. Instead, he focused on the fragments at hand. "There's more to those rocks than meets the eye, though that's true for most things in our field. Remiel and I believe they were drained by a giant."

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2024 17:59:11 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
[nospaces]

Given the disastrous events of Hoenn's past few years, Howard's theory concerning the meteor shard didn't altogether surprise .[break][break]

But this was not his area of expertise. Outside of his role as director of the Museum of Natural History, the professor's research interests leaned more towards the microbiological. He leaned on those like and for their archeological knowledge in situations like this. [break][break]

"Oh?" He uttered, raising a curious brow. "How did you two come to that conclusion?"

[newclass=.gideon-wrap] margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; background-color: #272727; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border: solid 1px #232323; border-radius:3px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-wrap u] font: 800 12px Quattrocento Sans; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: #808080; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-main] padding: 25px; font: 13px Poppins; text-align: justify; [/newclass]

[newclass=.gideon-notes] background: #2b2b2b; border: 1px #232323 solid; border-radius: 3px; padding: 15px 20px 15px 20px; margin: 10px 7px 0px 8px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-notes h1] text-transform: uppercase; margin-bottom: 0px; letter-spacing: 2px; font: 600 14px Poppins; color: #d49f3a; [/newclass]
[newclass=.gideon-notes a] font: 13px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: .5px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49f3a; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,710 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2024 21:20:52 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"The oldest trick in the book." The admin peered at the meteor from behind its case. "We make something up and stick to it until proven wrong."

A very popular trick in Galar, if the fossil Pokemon restored there were to be believed. Howard was going to find Gibion Mandell and break his knees for the irreparable damage he had done to the field of archaeology. Hell, maybe he'd even get Remiel to help him.

After a moment of daydreaming about murdering fraudulent archaeologists, he gave Gideon a glance.

"A couple years back, Regidrago was spotted in Meteor Falls." Howard frowned and scratched his chin. had given him the crash course on the incident. At the time, Howard had been teaching in Rustboro. "It apparently vanished to another world, and left these behind."

He omitted the part where he touched a statue in Meteor Falls and got a strange sensation on Regidrago's location. That wasn't like he could put that in an academic article. It'd also require him to say that Regice's Pokeball was currently in his locker.

Not ideal.

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Apr 1, 2024 14:04:16 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
[nospaces]

The oldest trick in the book. [break][break]

That one cracked a smile in ’s usually impassive expression. The logic was there: just as the world was thought to be flat, or that variation within a Pokemon species was due to pangenesis – science was all about proving theories wrong as much as it was about blanket discoveries.[break][break]

Mm. I remember hearing about that.” Considering this connection, several thoughts popped into the professor’s head, the chief of which was always: why?[break][break]

What sort of substance did Regidrago drain, I wonder? If that’s indeed what happened, as you propose.” The inclination of his index finger brought his ROTOM, Scribe, hovering closer. Housed within a tablet, it made for a convenient assistant.[break][break]

Do we have composition data on this specimen, Scribe? ID Number: MF-054.”[break][break]

When found, the ROTOM’s computerized voice would read it aloud.

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,710 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 20:16:44 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The academic process was a farce, but it was a meticulous one. Rather than risk an incorrect theory, thousands of people would come together to verify one individual idea as fact. When that happened, it was marked down in the collective consciousness of humanity as 'true'.

Unification to expand the horizons of every person alive was a beautiful thing. Mankind would rather slow progress to a crawl rather than dare to be wrong.

"Energy, likely. It'd have to get its energy from somewhere, as it can't eat. We cannot confirm that, though." Howard looked around the archives, his ID card swishing as he did so. "Unless you've got Regidrago hidden in one of these rooms? May I see it, Dr. Graves?"

As if on queue, Scribe began to speak. 'MF-054 SUBJECT DISCOVERED IN JUNE OF 2021. NO ENERGY SIGNATURE HAS BEEN FOUND WITHIN. IF ANY EXISTS, IT HAS BEEN DRAINED. THE COMPOSITION IS CONSISTENT WITH OTHER SUBJECTS IN THE MF-XXX SERIES.'

"Woah." Howard's eye got wide as he looked at Gideon. "How'd it do that?"

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Apr 4, 2024 13:30:42 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
[nospaces]

As was typical when posed with a conundrum, was now absorbed in his thoughts. His focus was on the meteor shards trapped within their glass case, which reflected the two scientists in warped companionship.[break][break]

Perhaps Primal Energy, then...?” The professor muttered behind a thoughtful finger. [break][break]

If REGIDRAGO had indeed vanished to another world, the use of PRIMAL ENERGY was a valid hypothesis. After all, it was the same type the LEAGUE government had used to open a portal to Sea Hoenn and divert 99943 METENO's impending impact.[break][break]

Eventually, ’s continued wisecracks pulled Gideon away from his musings. [break][break]

Of course, how could I forget? I’ve got all the Giants locked away somewhere down here. Would you like to see Registeel first?” Though not usually one to joke himself, Howard’s unrelenting use of them had forced Gideon to try and keep pace.[break][break]

To the archaeologist's surprise he simply raised a brow and replied, “Have you never seen a Rotom utilized in this way?

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,710 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Paleozoic [S]
POSTED ON Apr 25, 2024 8:10:15 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Their shared quip made Howard smile. For a moment, he forgot about Rocket. This was his life. The life he had always wanted.

"I knew you had a lighthearted side, Dr. Graves. I never thought I'd see it, though. Whenever you're running around the museum, you look so serious. Busy. Running a museum must be hard."

When the subject of the Rotom phone was broached, the smile dropped from Howard's face. Not even its memory remained as the moment was lost. Technology. It always came back to technology. Why did an archaeologist need to understand the workings of the future? A historian, maybe, but an archaeologist?

"No, doctor." He said carefully, filing away the director's theory on Primal Energy for later. "I've always been technologically... illiterate."

Stunted. Fragile. Frail. A gaping weakness that had led him to down the path he currently walked.

"If you can believe it, I tried to apply for work here. I couldn't get past your website or automation process."

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights