Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,014 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 23:32:30 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]History gives answers only to those
who know how to ask questions.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Though she had encountered a few times by now in both peaceful and tumultuous settings, Aurelie still couldn't say that she knew the admin-archaeologist very well. Not his hobbies, not his preferences, not even his schedule. If she wanted his help, she knew she had to appeal to him in some way, and she simply didn't have any jade statues or rare urns lying around to bribe him with.

And want his help she did, for the things that Aurelie did know about Howard were that he seemed friendly and sensible, and his expertise in and passion for history were unquestionable. Who better to ask for help researching the enigmatic Calyrex whose unexpected request had baffled her so?

One other thing she did remember about him, though, was her impression that Howard was perpetually hungry. Hungry for knowledge, hungry for money, hungry for stability, but also hungry for food. While Aurelie couldn't do much about most of those hungers, she figured she could address that last one.

So it was that one late afternoon, the red-haired smith knocked on the door to the admin's office while bearing a covered porcelain dish. From beneath the cover radiated wisps of savory aromas, redolent of seafood, tomatoes, garlic, and herbs. She raised her voice hopefully.

"Hello? Admin Slayte?" Aurelie called through the office door. "I'd like to ask a favor, if you have some free time to help out.

"I know you're an impressive scholar of history, so I figured you would be the best person to ask about Calyrex, any historical information about it, any legends or lore surrounding it, and any reason why it'd ask for a custom-made saddle and shield. If that's all right with you, of course."

A smooth enough beginning, she thought.

"Uh, and if you're interested..." Now, Aurelie floundered a little. How did one diplomatically bring up a bribe? "Can I interest you in some of my homemade bouillabaisse stew? It's got fresh clams, shrimp, red snapper, and grouper." But no saffron—just turmeric instead, she thought with a sigh.

Rallying valiantly, the redhead added, "Also, plenty of warm crusty bread from the bakery!"

The bouillabaisse was her own recipe, one of her favorite (relatively) quick go-to meals when cooking for herself. Aurelie hoped it would be enough to at least win her an hour or so of Howard's time to unravel the mystery of the Calyrex.

She looked warily over her shoulder, wondering if any Rockets might overhear her clumsy attempt at trading culinary favors for knowledge—or, even more embarrassingly, if the Calyrex would appear to stare at her in that eerie way it had...

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 21:07:26 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
For the third time this week, Howard Slayte thought about setting 's office on fire.

Barnaby had returned from his birdwatching adventure, submitted a report, and had returned to his traditional admin duties. What he hadn't done was come back to Howard's office to pick up the leftover work. Instead, he seemed to have forgotten about it. Signing off on grunt pay, various executive orders, requests from the higher ups, Barnaby had been content to add his own work on top of Howard's and forget about him.

At this point, it was par for the course. It simply meant that Howard would have to find a way to get his revenge. Murder would be ideal, but Barnaby likely had insane wizard powers like lighting Howard on fire with his mind. Instead, he'd have to bide his time.

Patience was a virtue, not a sin.

"Aurelie?" The admin's eyes were glazed over by the time he finally looked up from his desk. His office looked more like a museum than a productive place of work. Rich tapestries and paintings and swords and fossils gleamed. A Relicanth in a fish tank stared beadily at the smith, before swimming away. "Take a seat, please."

Hopefully Calyrex didn't need a chair. Howard rubbed his eyes, which quickly turned from dead and vacant to bright and sparkly as he saw what Aurelie had brought him. He quickly tamped down on his excitement as he gave the smith a look.

"To clarify," he steepled his hands as his eye darted from Calyrex to its retainer. "To make this absolutely clear: you're asking me for my advice on a historical matter. Not only that, but you brought me food. This isn't a trick? Did Admin Delaney put you up to this?"

He seemed incredulous, as if it were too good to be true.

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,014 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 22:42:42 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie entered the admin's office happily, if also wide-eyed with astonishment at how much his office felt like another world entirely. Amidst the paintings and tapestries, the fossils and statues, she felt like she'd just entered the halls of a fantasy palace—or perhaps the tomb of one of those ancient kings who wanted to take it all with them. It was breathtaking and impressive.

At the same time, she simply couldn't imagine how he got any work done in an office like that.

Judging from Howard's worn-out expression and tired, vacant eyes, though, he certainly had been getting work done, and more of it than he probably liked. The change in his expression when he heard her request and smelled the food she'd brought was encouraging, to say the least. Far from being angry or offended, he looked like a man who couldn't believe his luck.

"Is it so hard to believe, Admin Slayte?" the red-haired smith asked with what she fondly imagined was a disarming smile, as she sat down in the indicated chair. She carefully set the covered dish on his desk, nudging aside an antique leaf-shaped bronze dagger to make space.

"I need your expertise, just as you needed mine when you first entered my shop a few months ago with your Gigaton ball," she explained, spreading her hands wide. "But while you had 'a whole lot of money' to pay me with..."

She curled her fingers into little air quotes for emphasis.

"Well, I don't," Aurelie concluded. "But I do like to cook! And you look like a man who appreciates the finer things in life." She looked pointedly around the treasures arrayed around his office.

Pressing her hands together briskly, she then let her one eye meet his across the desk piled with papers, reports, folders, and writing utensils in a dozen different colors. "I'm familiar with some history, especially military history, but I'm an absolute ignoramus when it comes to Pokemon lore and knowledge. And when it comes to Calyrex..."

Aurelie nodded to her left to indicate the king Pokemon, only to groan and shake her head when she saw only empty air there. "Ugh! I could've sworn he was floating around behind me a few minutes ago. He's worse than a ghost!

"And possibly just as hard to find factual, credible accounts about, too,"
the red-haired smith concluded. "So, yes, Admin, this is very real. Food for a history lecture—that's the bargain. My only caveat is that I'd like to share the stew and bread with you when we eat."

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 4:23:51 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
If by the 'finer things in life', Aurelie meant smoking, spending paychecks on artifacts, silently hating his life, and playing Varoom Kart 64, then Howard fit that definition flawlessly.

"Luckily, I'm also a man who barely cooks." Not a lie, but not the truth. Years of college, piles of degrees, and a decade of poverty had taught the admin much about scrimping on a budget and sacrificing quality for quantity. His years of wandering Unova's deserts, Sinnoh's icy wastes, and Kalos's eastern mountains had taught him much about cooking.

It was either that or starve, and starving disagreed with Howard. He much preferred a full belly to dying in a ditch in some forgotten corner of a nameless waste.

"Aurelie, you can't call that a caveat. You're asking me to do what I love. If anything, you're helping me."

The admin stood up and frowned as Calyrex vanished, before his gaze focused on the smith.

"If you'll give me a moment, I can clear off this desk and we'll eat. I'll explain as I do so." Aurelie's smile worked, and the admin plucked the bronze dagger, twirling it as he placed it in a drawer. In the corner, a jade statue given to the admin by glimmered. "Plus I can get some tea simmering, if you wish. New import of leaves from Johto came in last week.

As he spoke, various knickknacks were deposited into cases and placed on shelves and in cabinets, each piece could sell for enough to finance Aurelie's forging operations for a month. Despite his destitute nature, Howard's policies had brought much wealth into Rocket. He was good at accumulating money, but spending it on himself? Not so much.

Letting food spill on his precious collection would be a betrayal of his passion. It'd be like using pig iron to forge a sword.

"First thing's first. You're familiar with Calyrex's barrier, right?" Howard said as he put a gold bar from Lumiose City Mint into a desk drawer. "And its imperial decree?"

"None shall dynamax in the capitol while this barrier stands."

Thud. Howard placed a chunk of Dynite Ore in front of the smith. Thud. A small Wishing Star much like one affixed to a Dynamax Band followed.

"You're aware of what these are? Maybe through attempting to forge them or otherwise? The League had a grip on Dynite Ore recently, but their grip has slackened."

Through his designs, mostly. Howard had excavation teams working across Hoenn in an attempt to rend as much material from the earth as possible.

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,014 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2024 20:26:25 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie raised an eyebrow skeptically when Howard claimed he almost never cooked. For someone so money-conscious, she thought surely he probably had to cook at least a little, if only because ordering delivery or eating at restaurants was so cost-ineffective compared to cooking at home. For now, she didn't press the issue, though she did make a mental note to follow up later about it.

Instead, she beamed when the admin agreed to share the stew and even offered her some tea from Johto. "Thank you so much, I'd love some tea. And uhh, I guess, you're welcome for the chance to talk history and lore?" she hazarded, regarding Howard quizzically.

"Well, I suppose it's not so different from when someone actually lets me chatter on at them about metalworking," the redhead reflected, watching him reorganize relics with growing wonder. She had to forcibly pull her gaze away from the gold bar as he began putting it away.

Taking the cover off the dish, she pulled out two small bowls from her bag, as well as the paper bag of long, thin, crispy Kalosian bread. As she ladled stew into a bowl and pushed it toward the admin, Aurelie cocked her head to one side intently when the admin brought up Calyrex and its barrier.

"I remember its decree about the barrier," the red-haired smith replied hesitantly, "and about Dynamaxing in Sootopolis. And I remember reading a news article about a similar barrier like that showing up elsewhere in Hoenn. In Ever Grande City, I want to say...?"

Then, she trailed off and her jaw dropped when Howard laid a pair of objects on the desk that made her eye bulge with astonishment. "I...how...wait...what?" Aurelie spluttered. "Those were real? You have these?"

It's been five years at least since I last worked with one of these, a part of her mind whispered, as she reached out gingerly to touch the chunk of Dynite ore. The mental voice was faint and distant, the memory foggy.

But she remembered, still, smelting and hammering this ore into a usable metal and how it bent and twisted capriciously under her hammer as she forged it into a band.

Lifting her gaze to meet Howard's across the desk, she hastened to explain, "I have seen these before! But in a...a dream. A long time ago. I didn't know these were in Hoenn.

"But..."
Aurelie caught her breath at the implications. "Calyrex was in that dream too. This Calyrex. And I suppose the Calyrex who existed in that dream—it would have reason to fear and abhor Dynamaxed creatures, which would explain why it set up this barrier here and now."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2024 7:41:39 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The dream. It all came back to the dream of Galar. It was a frustrating realization, given that there was no way for Howard to verify its existence, beyond the specter that haunted Aurelie. In a sense, Howard was glad that the dream had occurred, as it had enlightened many and given them purpose in life, and yet...

...almost every person who came out of that dream was changed, for better or worse.

"This, my lovely smith..." Howard tapped his desk with his knuckle. As he spoke, his voice became more professional. "Is Dynite Ore, a type of metal impacted by the raw power of Eternatus. The League's been mining it for a while, but I've been pulling it from the Ancient Tomb. My family had a stake in Rustboro's mining sector before it dried up, and the experience has proven useful. It sells for a lot on the black market, and I have a few containers of it shipping off from Lilycove. We will not want for supply."

Supply. Demand. Logistics. There were those in Rocket capable of awesome feats of power, but Howard controlled the pulse of supplies. Sootopolis would become the heart that pumped dangerous goods throughout the region, and gold and wealth would fill their coffers.

When the time was right, that heart would stop beating by Rocket's will alone.

"I'm showing you this because Calyrex's barrier has dulled its power. If you were to take this chunk out of Sootopolis, it'd thrum with more power. It's quite annoying, as my golem isn't as powerful within the city now that the barrier is up. This means Calyrex is stopping the flow of Dynergy, not just Dynamax. Our Dynamax Bands will not work, nor will any Power Spots."

Despite that, the admin didn't have a band affixed to his wrist as he dangled a spoon between his fingers. For one so invested in the workings of a god, he seemed to refrain from touching it. Likely wise, given Eternatus's corrupting influence from Galar's dream.

His eye brightened as he tried Aurelie's dish. His eye visibly sparkled for a moment, before he pondered the smith's question.

"Delicious." Howard put the spoon down and frowned as he contemplated something. "Calyrex's barrier will not be enough."

He said it with the casualness of a man foretelling the weather, as if it were a simple observation, though ultimately inconsequential.

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,014 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2024 23:33:25 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]It took Aurelie a moment to realize she was somehow on her feet now in front of Howard's desk, staring down at the Dynite ore. She didn't even remember standing up or pushing her chair back. The revelation that the Dynite ore accessible in their world was the same as the Dynite ore from dream-Galar—and that Howard possessed some of it—had clearly flabbergasted her utterly.

I guess I'm lucky that Admin Slayte didn't interpret me jumping to my feet like that as an aggressive move, Aurelie reflected. Some underbosses in Rocket probably would've lashed out if they thought she was threatening them. Either she simply didn't come across as aggressive, or Howard understood her better than she thought.

"I'd heard a little bit about the Dynamaxing phenomenon and the Power Spots in Hoenn," she replied slowly, forcing herself to pull her chair back and sit down again. "Mostly the effects. Colossal Pokemon twenty feet high stomping through cities and so on.

"But I didn't know we had some, in Rocket. It's like..."
She trailed off for a moment and let out a self-deprecating snort, before continuing, "It's like a dream come true. Except I don't also have a billion Pokedollars in the bank and a harem of gorgeous men and women at my beck and call."

The red-haired smith unthinkingly reached out to pick up the chunk of ore, before catching herself just in time to pause and look up questioningly at the admin. "Can I...examine it more closely? I've worked with it before, but only in dream-Galar, a long time ago."

A pleased little smile stole across her face when the admin complimented the stew. Absently, she tore herself a chunk of bread and dipped it in her own bowl, before taking a meditative bite.

"What do you mean Calyrex's barrier won't be enough, though?" she asked, her eye wide as she listened to him. "Enough for what?

"You mean it won't be enough to prevent Dynamaxing entirely? Or prevent the flow of Dynergy into Sootopolis? Or it won't be enough to protect Rocket?"
She bit off another piece of bread, saturated with rich seafood and tomato flavors, and swallowed thoughtfully. "Or do you mean the barrier will fail entirely at some point?"

Aurelie exhaled sharply at this thought, uncertain how to feel about it. Unlike Howard and his Regice, or the trainers in Rocket and League alike who could utilize Dynamaxing, Calyrex's barrier was neither a help nor a hindrance to her. Its absence probably would feel the same, though she supposed she might think differently if dangerous swarms of Dynamaxed Pokemon started rampaging through Sootopolis.

"To be honest, I never even knew Calyrex could even create barriers like this, let alone such a unique barrier," she admitted sheepishly. "I thought it was just a friendly royal Pokemon that caused good harvests and kept Galar safe."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,738 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2024 6:07:12 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I wish I had a billion in the bank. That'd be nice."

Howard's voice was dreamy as he imagined being able to pay his electric bill. That hadn't been an issue since he moved to Dewford Town, but the trauma of paying utilities was one that the admin constantly thought of. As he mused, a nameless grunt walked in with a Kalosian tea set. She set it on the table, whispered a word into Howard's ear, and left the office.

The joys of having grunts at his beck and call was something that Howard loved dearly. Luxury was the spice of life, and Howard's life needed a bit of spicing up.

"As I was saying," he shook off dreams of wealth and harems, "the barrier will not be enough. Dynergy is still flowing. Regice can still move within the city, which makes me suspect that other entities can as well. Eternatus was in that dream, I've heard. You're familiar with Eternatus?"

It was hard to forget. The shadow it had cast over Galar in that dream had turned a dream full of light into a nightmare. It was the ouroboros that threatened to devour the sun, given form. If Howard had seen it in its glory, he would've ran, hid, or fell to his knees to die.

He did not want to know which option he would choose.

"Aurelie." He stared at her. Not as Howard Slayte, not as Admin Fox, but as the third person. The purveyor of the yesterday's memoirs, who cared about humanity as a collective but could not recall the names of each individual. Not the historian who wept as he chronicled the deaths of thousands, but as the archivist who simply noted the event and moved on.

The gaze of a man who was firmly committed to his ideal. He spread his hands to let Aurelie inspect the chunk of ore.

"Do you truly think Calyrex can stop that alone?" His one eye bore into hers, an intersecting of insights and perspectives. "Calyrex is a king, but what is a king to a god?"

He rose to look at the map of Hoenn that extended behind his desk. Such a massive region, and it would fall like weeds in a hurricane if Eternatus roused itself.

"Your ignorance is understandable, but it is now insufficient." He said as he looked at the map. "It is the king that Galar needed to survive Eternatus. You ask what I know of Calyrex, and the honest answer is little. It is whispered of in storybooks and fairy tales, meant to amuse rather than instruct. Yet what little we have on it is myth. If you dilute myth, you will eventually get fact."

Even if what little fact they had was hardly helpful.

"A king is only as mighty as its subjects."

close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,014 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
A Fable Agreed Upon [S]
POSTED ON May 1, 2024 3:15:53 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie turned the piece of Dynite ore over and around in her hands, marveling at its texture and weight and how it caught the light. Her memories of dream-Galar were so dim and distant now that they hardly counted as memories, more just as facts about herself. She knew she had worked with the ore, but she couldn't picture it in her head, couldn't summon emotions over it.

But the ore didn't feel new to her, either. It felt familiar, like something she had seen and touched a long time ago. How did that work? How did the mind and memory even function like this?

She was so focused on the ore that she didn't even look up when a fellow grunt came into the admin's office with the tea set, though she did sniff the delicate, soothing fragrance of the tea appreciatively. However, when Howard spoke her name, she did look up. Something in his tone captured her attention and filled her with alarm.

"Eternatus," she sighed aloud, listening to Howard's lecture. "I thought of it too, especially when Calyrex spoke of a familiar foe. But..." She hesitated and pursed her lips in thought.

"I thought you meant Calyrex's barrier would fail of its own accord eventually. Or that Calyrex might choose to take it down itself," she mused aloud. "I know Eternatus is a god and an absolutely terrifying one, but I mean..."

The red-haired smith gestured widely with one hand, one hand nearly making potentially disastrous contact with the lovely Kalosian teapot the other grunt had just brought. "I mean, Eternatus was in the dream, yes, but the dream wasn't...it wasn't really real, not like you and me here in this office real."

She stopped herself at this point, her face flushing in sudden realization. After all, Calyrex had been in that dream too, and now it was here. Certainly as real as anything else. Maybe the Eternatus too...?

"And sure, Eternatus is in...well, it is the Ultra Deep Sea too," Aurelie went on, more slowly and nervously. "But there's surely no way it could traverse the rift to get from there to here, is there? It doesn't have the ability to do that, does it?"

She hesitated at the last question, her voice trailing off. An unwelcome image of the skeletal dragon flying through an interdimensional rift entered her mind and lingered, refusing to dissipate. The red-haired smith swallowed hard.

"I...I'm sorry that's not much about history," she said apologetically. "Kings, gods... Is there any mention of Eternatus in historical records? How they survived it? Fought it, maybe?"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights