6,004 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Lars] The Signer and the Composed
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2024 2:51:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Chimney Canyon. It was the one place relatively close to home that Josh felt comfortable exposing his well-kept secret, yet open enough for Swift to run at impressive speeds. He had once raced at this very place, days after coming to Hoenn and being trapped within the barrier that prevented the region from fleeing in the wake of Meteno. And now, he would be taking on the winding course again.

Only this time, it would be at nearly triple the speed compared to what his Absol was capable of.

Turning around and scanning his surroundings to make sure no one was near him, Josh unpinned the RAINBOW FEATHER from his inert Manectric Sygna Suit, wearing it mostly for the wind protection it would offer him. He had missed a pair of prying eyes as he began to draw the Sign with the quill of his feather. An enormous crash of lightning would follow a rattling roar of thunder, the monochrome shape of the Beast of Thunder materializing next to Hoenn's newest and youngest Champion. Next to Swift were an excited Manectric and a Raging Bolt that looked ready to run.

{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Swift         Raikou         Good
Raikou        Raging Bolt    Good
Saber         Manectric      Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2024 20:08:49 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Of course he had too much time on his hands.

Of course he was going to be running deliveries around the nearby area…

He was about to gun the motorbike and move past the area where he was travelling when he realized…

“Oh, you have got to be kidding me.”

He then pinched the bridge of his nose before attempting to park his motorbike as quietly as possible out of sight, out of mind as he hopped off (and took the keys, of course) to take a peek at what was going…

On.

“Mamma mia,” he would hiss quietly under his breath as he realized just what he’d witnessed.

As they say… the best ‘defense’ is a good ‘offense’ so to speak…

“The fuck are you doing?” he would begin as he stepped out from where he was half-hidden, taking the motorbike helmet off so the younger man could see who it was that was about to either bust him, or chastise him, or tell him off about doing stupid things!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,004 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 5:48:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

Josh tensed up when a voice reached out to him just as he climbed atop the black thundercloud, holding its outermost tufts like reins. Swift interpreted the sudden motion as a command to turn around, the tiger rearing to face the source of the voice. He deeply exhaled when he realized that the set of prying eyes belonged to none other than AQUA Initiative member .

"Oh, it's just you, Lars," the Champion called back. "I thought you were Rocket for a moment and got scared we'd have a serious problem on our hands. Come on, Swift, let's go say hi!" The Raging Bolt and Manectric matched Swift's relatively low speed, Josh coaxing the ashen Beast to a stop. "You know Saber by now, and you've seen Raikou," he gestured toward the electric paradox. "Now, I'm about to go for a run on Swift here," he gave the electric tiger a gentle pat. "Wanna join me with Amir again?" he asked, though not with his usual chipper demeanor. Something was clearly distracting him...

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2024 18:55:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment the younger man mentioned ‘Rocket’, he scowled for a few moments.

“Do I look like a member of Team Rocket to you?” would be his initial clap back while he held onto the helmet in his hands. “Also, seriously?”

Of the three Pokémon that approached, two of them were definitely familiar—he recognized the Manectric on sight; as well as the giraffe-looking…

“Excuse me. You called… what?” he blinked, tilting his head in the giraffe Paradox Pokémon’s direction.

He then pinched the bridge of his nose.

“How… how sure are you that’s even the real Raikou?!” he would exclaim afterward.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,004 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2024 21:06:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Swift looked every bit like a Raikou, other than being monochrome. Josh grabbed the outermost tufts of thundercloud and pulled back on them, the Beast rearing dramatically like a Western hero's horse right before they rode off into the sunset. Raikou's and Swift's cries were indistinguishable, their purrs both sounding like rumbles of thunder.

The pinching of Lars' nose was a sign that he was in one of his moods. "Ever since we went down to Area Zero together and got jumped by the DRK Triad's goons, I've... started to understand your paranoia," he admitted. "That's why I was relieved to see it was just you and not Rocket. Because if Rocket finds out about Swift before we come knocking on Sootopolis, we'll lose a huge tactical edge. You see, Rocket probably thinks Raikou died with ."

Any enthusiasm Josh had within him was sucked away thinking about how killed Kyle, the Top Champion and his mentor. With Swift under his command, he would simply have to carry on the late leader's legacy in his own way. "Not the Raikou. A Raikou," he clarified. "You know how Arcanine have two different forms that are still the same species? It's the same with Raikou and Swift here."

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON May 1, 2024 20:04:06 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

His gaze panned from the monochrome-looking… ‘Raikou’ to the one that looked like a giraffe, complete with neck-clouds and all.

“Still… I’m pretty sure this one,” he continued, tilting his head in the giraffe’s direction, “…is not what a Raikou looks like.”

Case in point.

To the monochrome version, he would squint for a few moments.

“Huh. Where’d all their color go?” he would follow up a few moments later, turning his attention to the ashen-colored… well, the ‘other’ version of ‘giraffe’ over there.

The moment the other mentioned word of Sootopolis, he sighed.

“Now you understand,” he would quietly mutter. At last, some of his words had gotten through to the younger man’s thick skull.

“Now you know why I was so apprehensive about you getting deeply involved in the supernatural. Are you sure you want all of this?”

He would then gesture at both the long-necked… paradox Pokémon and the monochrome version that the other was riding on. He could swear that a Raikou was normally lightning-cloud colored, not…

Not this.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,004 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 2, 2024 7:03:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Looks like," Josh emphasized. "There are some regional forms that look quite different from their base species. Exeggutor from Kanto and Alola look almost equally like Raikou and Swift do." Granted, it was perhaps the only drastic departure in terms of shape, but the example still stood.

When asked about the color, he breathed one of his trademark deep sighs the Ranger knew were of disappointment. "It's how I got him from the Great One. The only attack he knows how to use is Spark. Not even Quick Attack. That's what I was looking forward to doing. Riding him mid-Quick Attack. And he can't even do that. He also... doesn't act like other Pokémon do. He seems to be wholly obedient for the time, which is a plus. But he's missing the... how do I even describe it... the Pokémon element. Kind of like the human element we have."

As he would discover from studies with , , and others, the so-called Pokémon element was a reflection of Josh's personality. The good, the bad, and the ugly. His growth would depend entirely on Josh's growth. "I would ask Kyle more... but he's not around to answer those questions."

When the topic changed to the supernatural and Sootopolis, Josh sighed a second time. "Here's the thing, Captain. I'm a Champion now. While I'm not on the same level as AQUA, I carry a similar weight to them, legendary Pokémon or no. Whether I want it or not, there's no going back. But to answer your question..." He leaned forward on the ashen Beast, letting go of the reins and running his hands through the white tufts behind his mask: where a real Raikou's facial fur would have been.

"This is how much I love Raikou." The Beast mirrored the affection with a purr that rattled and tickled his rider, causing Josh to smile and even laugh.

{PC: 4}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights