6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2024 8:47:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
A live demonstration would not be possible with Josh's current condition. While he had some motor capabilities in it still, he couldn't hold a Pokémon's reins in just his left hand. He might need to even go back to 's sword school for a refresher once he was completely out of rehab. "Not from here, and not in my condition, unfortunately," the Gym Leader answered, taking his hand off the plush's felt reins to slide his left sleeve up. Beneath it was a thick wrap around most of his left arm. "I've had to limit the hours of my racing challenges recently because of this. You know I was one of the people that disappeared from the face of Hoenn for two days at the end of April, right?"

He did have a solution, though it would require permission and a little bit of trickery from his techs. He texted and asked for permission to share his mock Gym Challenge's footage with a prospective challenger. Were he to grant permission, he would play back a video of the challenge. "I want to go riding and racing again. I really do. But if I don't care for my arm, I might lose it permanently... and with it, the ability to enjoy what I love the most. Just like you said, if I don't take it easy now, I'll suffer more later. Best get it out of the way."

@haoyu

{PC: 8}

NOTE: All of the Pokémon in Josh's PC are present somewhere on the Racing Grounds, with exception of Raikou and the paradox Johto Beasts.
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2024 15:26:43 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","mango haoyu"]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      as josh mentioned completely disappearing at the end of april, he simply blinked. [break][break]

it was time to pack his bags and leave hoenn before he dealt with so much nonsense that he could deliver such breaking news nonchalantly. nope, nope, nope. he didn't want that for himself, not one bit.[break][break]

as it were, he leaned in as josh offered up the video. "i imagine you have quite the collection," he admired, watching as the race unfolded. the obstacles, the water site, the elemental moves... how didn't get motion sickness from all of the agile movement was beyond him. while haoyu would need to learn to battle in sync with his pokemon, any form of riding would need to be done on a slower pokemon. perhaps something gentle, like a togekiss. "i can't believe that obstacle course is legal," he commented with mild concern over the challenger.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".haoyu"] --accent:#52b788!important [/newclass]
[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #7C6678 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2024 1:03:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Haoyu's response was startling; had he not heard? The disappearences were all over the news. It would have been nearly impossible to not know about them. He wouldn't press Haoyu about it any further; the whole Megalopolan prison was something he wishes he could erase from his memory.

"I do," Josh confirmed regarding his Pokémon collection. "One of my goals is to raise one of every common ride Pokémon. It would be amazing to have every saddle experience the Pokémon world can offer." He had already experienced most of them, given the size of his collection.

The concern was warranted; Josh's Pokémon could hate hit Eddie directly during the challenge. Ironically, as gentle as Togekiss were, they were also incredibly speedy. Provided they curbed their speed, they were a perfect flying mount for an older trainer. "The trials were cleared by the League; I just have to do some additional refining before it can become an official Gym challenge."

@haoyu

{PC: 9}

NOTE: All of the Pokémon in Josh's PC are present somewhere on the Racing Grounds, with exception of Raikou and the paradox Johto Beasts.
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2024 15:00:36 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      ah, right, those kinds of challenges would need approval. still, he was impressed that hoenn gyms so frequently offered alternatives to a battle. there were other ways to test mettle. he was used to seeing only variations of a traditional doubles format back home. [break][break]

"i think it is wise to have many ways to test a trainer out here." given what was looming on the horizon, skills outside of battle would need to be honed for survival.[break][break]

"the video is helpful, but i'm not sure how to apply all of this advice directly to my pokemon." [break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #7C6678 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2024 22:07:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I'm glad you agree with me, but with the increasingly stringent battle requirements for the Champion Assessment, I'd wager the higher-ups don't think so," Josh voiced his opinion on the matter. The upper echelons of the League were within their right to do so, as much as it bugged him. While it was not the only useful skill to have during the war, it was by far the most, which was presumably why Pokémon combat was emphasized so much.

For some, video footage was helpful; for others, hands-on experience was the best teacher. Perhaps Haoyu was the latter in that regard. "Then we can learn by doing. Want to head to one of the battle courts? We can spar a little down there, and I can show you some of my favorite techniques." Provided the older trainer agreed, they would head down to the battle courts in the outdoor Gym's Main Sector. With a shrill whistle, Toralf would come bolting toward the two, his four limbs a blur before sliding to a stop around Josh and his guest.

@haoyu

{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2024 22:29:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      "to the courts," he echoed pleasantly. thwackey beat her chest enthusiastically as they made their way over. she was more than ready to exert some energy. [break][break]

the courts gave ample space for battle, though he was confident the thwackey would require less space than his celesteela. "so, should i take the opening move, or-"[break][break]

thwackey waited for no okay and no instruction; once josh and his pokemon were on the other side of the court, she let loose a screech [break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2024 17:45:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The battle courts at Mauville City were triple regulation size, giving the Gym Leader's super swift Pokémon plenty of room to run. "I traditionally give the challenger the opening move," the kind yet competitive man answered. @haoyu 's Thwackey seemed not only energetic, but impatient, Toralf squinting and squealing as the loud and high-pitched SCREECH nearly deafened him.

Shaking his head, the giant rodent's yellow cheeks sparked with electricity. As direct as Josh's Pokémon were known for being, overwhelming their foes with speed almost impossible to track, they were more than capable of being tricky, too. When it looked like the Raichu was about to ram the grass-type down with a Quick Attack, Toralf screeched to a stop and puckered his lips, smooching the stick-wielding Pokémon with an electrified SWEET KISS.

@haoyu

{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2024 15:37:23 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      haoyu recognized the move sweet kiss as his alolan raichu had the same fairy move. however, thwackey was unfamiliar and didn't quite know how to parse the action. she raised her sticks, but it wasn't fast enough to defend against the assault. [break][break]

she rolled backwards from the impact, rising to her feet quickly and instinctively, but even haoyu could see her wires were a little crossed. she was confused.[break][break]

"use razor leaf," he commanded. wood hammer was a strong move, but it required her to see straight. it took thwackey a long moment to process the information and launch razor leaf haphazardly in front of her. haoyu was very grateful to be behind her broad line of fire.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2024 2:38:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
This battle would be fast-paced, both sides severely weakened. The grass-type's Screech had left Toralf with an awful weak spot, while the Raichu's foe was too delirious to loose anything other than a haphazard Razor Leaf barrage. The attack was the perfect one to use in such a state, for its wide range would nearly ensure a few nicks and scrapes. Even the rodent's crazy speed would do him little good against such a wide attack. It was a great tactic to use against such a fast enemy.

"Now, build up speed with your QUICK ATTACK!" Josh ordered, the Raichu jousting past Haoyu's Pokémon in an effort to ram it down. Though it may have seemed like death by a thousand cuts was the Gym Leader's tactic, it was only a part of what he had in store. For there was an art that his Gym was all about: the art of harnessing speed to one's advantage. There was one Pokémon technique better at that than any other.

@haoyu

{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2024 16:54:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      whoa, that raichu could move fast.[break][break]

it was such a blur that he was almost dizzy trying to keep up with it. his thwackey went flying from the force of the passing raichu, hitting the ground hard. she rolled to her feet, though, ever the fighter, but she was clearly on a decline.[break][break]

haoyu wasn't sure the wide attack was going to be effective for the long-term. "uh, use wood hammer.. defensively?" thwackey couldn't see the raichu properly in her confusion, but she followed haoyu's instruction and readied the hammer and brought it down whenever she thought he was getting close, but the move was slow and telegraphed.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2024 0:00:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The blinding speed did exactly what it was meant to do: disorient Haoyu and the Thwackey. That there was a saddle on the giant rodent's back showed just how talented the Gym Leader was in the saddle. To even keep the Raichu from crashing was quite the feat, let alone to control him in a race and use him as a mount in battle. Josh had the grass-type on the defensive -- exactly where he wanted him. "Now, ELECTRO BALL!" Josh ordered.

It was arguably more of a signature move than Quick Attack for Mauville Gym, being the one Pokémon attack that specifically took advantage of extreme speed. The faster the user was, the faster and stronger the barrage of projectiles would get. Many of Josh's Pokémon were among the fastest of their kind in all of Hoenn, if not the entire world. The fast and agile Raichu swerved about, his long, bolt-shaped tail whipping spheres of electricity toward the grass-type almost too quickly for even Josh to follow. They would have to get through that WOOD HAMMER first, but any direct huts that got past it might sting quite a bit!

@haoyu

{PC: 13}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2024 17:18:52 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      this was why he needed to focus on evasion and mobility for his pokemon.[break][break]

thwackey stood little chance against such fast projectiles. "screech!" he ordered, but the move wouldn't disorient the raichu because thwackey didn't have time to launch it.[break][break]

the grass pokemon cried out as she failed to dodge the electric balls, falling to the ground and struggling to move further. electricity was terrible on the body and made it hard for her get her limbs to cooperate. haoyu struggled to think of a strategy.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2024 21:21:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Seeing the Thwackey struggle, Josh called the match off, having seen enough of what the grass-type could do. Toralf zipped back toward his trainer, the young man getting to work re-attaching the Raichu's saddle. "I have to say, I thought the use of Wood Hammer as a defense was creative. It was the reason your Thwackey didn't fall to the volley of Electro Balls." He gave the grass-type a thumbs-up before offering suggestions on ways Haoyu could improve against fast foes.

"I think this is just a rough matchup for you, but I do have a few suggestions for battling really fast foes with your Thwackey. Screech is a good disorienting tactic, but it's not as effective against fast Pokémon because the wind tends to drown out sonic attacks without a physical component. Have you thought about teaching your Thwackey how to use Swift? It's a Pokémon move just about any Pokémon can use, and it's a good hedge against Pokémon too slippery to hit." While a Thwackey might not be able to use it as effectively as other Pokémon, it would be a good fallback.

@haoyu

{PC: 14}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2024 21:52:48 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      haoyu called thwackey over so he could look at her wounds. thankfully, things were largely superficial and easily fixed at the pokemon center.[break][break]

"swift would work well. i think she'll get better at controlling the battlefield when she evolves." he didn't like to think about that, of course. he liked her as she was. it was hard to make peace with change, even when it was as simple as evolution.[break][break]

he smiled at josh. "i think i got a lot out of this practice. it's important to me that we can hold our own."[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2024 5:18:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As ferocious as Josh's blitzkrieg was, it still respected his enemy's well-being. Any slashes and electrical burns would be completely patched up with a single visit to the Pokémon Center. It was something a Gym Leader had to become a master of. "That tends to happen when Pokémon grow up. My career necessitates I evolve almost every Pokémon I obtain, but you can do miraculous things with unevolved Pokémon." Being small had its advantages; Pokémon big enough to saddle were easier targets to hit. Though a Ribombee generally could not take a bit, their small size and great agility made battling them a nightmare, for instance.

"Glad to hear it," Josh warmly replied, offering a handshake before whistling for two of his more gentle ride Pokémon to take them back to the Gym's rear entrance. If Haoyu preferred walking, he would accommodate that, as well. "If you ever decide to take on the Gym Challenge, I'd be happy to accept yours. Just sign up online; it's linked from the Gym Challenge page on the League's website."

Regardless of travel arrangements, Josh would part ways with the older man before heading back to his office and getting back to work on his reports.

@haoyu

{PC: 15}

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
EO GENESIS
Code and Crown: An advanced literate warriors cats RP, set in medieval times
Swords Clashing