super unprepared [m]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 24, 2024 16:47:24 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","mango haoyu"]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      mauville was loud and bustling and abrasive, but haoyu did appreciate the variety of pokemon he saw in the streets alongside their owners. while city life was not for him, he could appreciate how the small glance of society inside of the city was full of life and excitement in its own way, distinct from rural living.[break][break]

he had come to purchase a nice telescope for stargazing, but the ruckus by the gym had caught his attention. apparently, one could watch pokemon races. he entered with his excited thwackey in tow.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".haoyu"] --accent:#52b788!important [/newclass]
[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #7C6678 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 24, 2024 22:06:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Indeed, there was a race going on; a thirteen-year-old challenger with a Houndoom was zooming across TWIST ROAD, giving chase to the Gym Leader on his own Houndoom, Komainu. The dark-type dog Pokémon were known for being fast, but the speed on display looked extraordinary. Were he to look around, Haoyu would be able to see dozens of other saddled Pokémon, land, sea, and sky. Were they all Gym Pokémon? If so, the Leader had quite the collection.

After the race's final lap was over, Haoyu might have been able to eavesdrop on the conversation the teen and Josh were having. "Your fundamentals aren't bad, but I'd like to see you work on pacing a bit more. If you understand what your Pokémon is capable of, then you'll know what their limits are and know how much you can push them before they get tired. I'm sure when you come back in six weeks, you'll be able to claim Mauville's Gym Badge with no issues."

With that, the Gym Leader slid off his Houndoom and approached another of his Pokémon: a Shiny Sylveon that was enormous for her kind. After he hopped onto the saddled Eeveelution, her feelers rubbed against Josh in a way that looked therapeutic. Not only were his Pokémon big in general, but they were also big for their species.

Where did he get them, and what was he feeding them?

@haoyu

{PC: 1}

NOTE: All of the Pokémon in Josh's PC are present somewhere on the Racing Grounds, with exception of Raikou and the paradox Johto Beasts.
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 24, 2024 22:17:13 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      the gym leader gave good advice. haoyu was pleased to hear it. mentorship was a more serious matter than many took it, though haoyu had always enjoyed raising new forensics officers or arson investigators.[break][break]

haoyu approached tentatively, eyeing the large sylveon. "that was some solid advice you offered your challenger." he smiled. "i was wondering if you had time to spare for someone later in his years. i've done a lot of work for the league but very little battling. with danger on the horizon, i've been instructed to 'study up.' i saw you recently made champion, and who better to learn from?"[break][break]

he coughed into his fist, remembering himself. "if you have the time, that is. i imagine you're quite busy with all of these pokemon under your care."[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #7C6678 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 25, 2024 1:30:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Part of being a Gym Leader was being a good mentor. After all, the purpose of the Gym circuit was to pass on a valuable lesson that would apply both to the war and to making Hoenn's trainers more talented. Josh had not only mentored Hoenn's average trainer, but other Gym Leaders, too. One of those went on to graduate to the Major League on her own.

Getting an older challenger was a bit unusual for Mauville Gym; due to the popularity of the racing challenge, it was mostly the younger crowd that flooded his signup page during the warmer months of the year. To see someone older ask about the Gym garnered his interest. "Hello there, sir!" Josh waved toward Haoyu. "Your face doesn't look familiar... did you sign up for an appointment online? If you didn't, it's not a big deal; just go in the back door and speak to my secretary. He'll check you in. And don't worry. Andrew's understanding."

@haoyu

{PC: 2}

NOTE: All of the Pokémon in Josh's PC are present somewhere on the Racing Grounds, with exception of Raikou and the paradox Johto Beasts.
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 28, 2024 16:48:18 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      haoyu's eyebrows shot up. "oh, no, no appointment to race. i don't think they make pokemon that ride smooth enough for this old man," he said with a warm smile. he preferred to be grounded and watch his pokemon move on the same environment as he was. moving during battle seemed like the kind of thing that would summon vertigo.[break][break]

"i am only hoping for some advice - as the most recent champion, what was the secret to your success?" at his feet, thwackey made excited noises and clearly made to climb josh, though haoyu blocked her with a leg. he turned his attention back to josh.[break][break]

"i worry about the decision-making. i normally let my pokemon fight as feels natural to them, though they take direction from me. but i am concerned that the coming troubles will require faster choices than i can reasonably make." he assessed josh with a serious expression. "do you rely on intuition? it looks like your fighting style involves breakneck speed."[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 29, 2024 21:51:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

Josh wanted to laugh at Haoyu's comment, and he was on the inside. Keeping his composure, he replied, "A Galarian Rapidash is actually perfect for older riders. They can use psychic abilities to keep you from falling, and healing ones to relax away any aches and pains." He wouldn't pressure Haoyu any further. Plus, at his age, he certainly wouldn't be going fast on such a Pokémon.

Josh had to correct Haoyu. "I'm not the most recent Champion anymore; and are now Champions, too. Must be intimidating for challengers when three Gym Leaders are Champion Ranked. Anyway, a lot of lessons to learn with becoming a Champion are life lessons, just adapted to you and your Pokémon. Learn from your mistakes. Figure out what your strengths are between you and your team. Have a plan, but also plan to be adaptable."

Haoyu's questions continued as quite the unusual sight bounded toward the duo: a saddled Delcatty that was almost as tall as the Gym Leader himself was. The seat covered most of her back, but if she wore that kind of gear, she must have been strong. "Hi, Mirri!" he turned toward the normal-type, giving her some gentle scritches before turning back toward Haoyu.

"That's going to come with time. Until your Pokémon understands your battling style, you'll have to command them manually. Once you have a lot of experience and synergy with one another, you'll be able to battle just as effectively without giving your Pokémon a single command." Standing in the late spring heat was starting to make Josh sweat. "You are right; I have to rely on experience and intuition a lot. They don't call me the Master of Faster for nothing! Anyway, if you just wanted advice, we can sit down in my office if you'd be more comfortable."

@haoyu

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 30, 2024 15:17:41 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      galarian rapidash... he committed it to memory. "what an uptick in champions," he mused as he considered the other members to join the ranks. indeed, he felt sympathy for gym challengers facing such formidable leaders.[break][break]

his eyes bugged out only a little at the sight of the largest delcatty on the planet. "um, yes. your office would be nice." where was he finding such large specimens? now that it occurred to him, haoyu was certain all of the pokemon he housed here were rather large.[break][break]

on the way to the office, haoyu would find himself still thinking of how to prepare. "how do you get to a point where you can fight so intuitively?" he trusted his pokemon completely, but they still often fought unpredictably, to him, unless he gave orders. they fought well, but he wasn't sure how to get himself in sync with them. "maybe i should watch more battles. i think examples would help me unlock this potential with my team."[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON May 31, 2024 23:34:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Haoyu's nonverbal reaction to Mirri didn't go unnoticed; it was typical of visitors to Josh's Gym. The types of Pokémon one would see there weren't ones to be picked up and cuddled; they were ones great at battle, whether of strength or of speed. "Sure! I'll lead the way." Opening the sliding door back into the lobby, Josh walked toward the elevator, minding his pace so that Haoyu could keep up.

"It really just is about putting in the reps," Josh answered. "I've been a Pokémon trainer for fourteen years. I find that doing other things with them is helpful, as well. Even a simple occasional trail ride helped with some of them. Whatever you and your team can get closer over. I've even had a challenger who bonded with their Lucario by playing video games with them."

As the elevator dinged at the third and top floor of Mauville Gym's office, a double door would be before the two. Josh opened it, revealing quite the large office space. Neatly organized on wall shelves was a plethora of Raikou memorabilia - plush, trading cards, figurines, and the like. Next to the desk with his work computer on it was a giant, Ride-On Raikou plush that was nearly life-sized. It must have cost a small fortune. "If you are interested in watching lots of battles, we do sell season passes for the Gym. All the challenges at Mauville Gym are public unless specifically requested otherwise. You would get to see a variety of strategies trainers use to overcome high speed as a tactic." On the floor was a sleeping Jolteon, also wearing a saddle, and an unusual one at that; there was a guard on the front of it, presumably to prevent the rider from flying into her quills. Like Mirri, she was quite the big girl, as well.

@haoyu

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2024 15:16:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      "video games..." he repeats as josh recounts another trainer's attempts to bond. "i think out-of-battle bonding is a great idea. groo already likes tea. perhaps we can do that together." being in sync seems to be a strong factor in determining a victor, as far as he can tell at least.[break][break]

he loves the idea of watching battles here regularly. "i suspect you might see me much more often. observing is the best way to learn." the examples other trainers set would help him figure out what would be successful for his own battles.[break][break]

he sighed softly, pleased to see that josh had great advice for him, was courteous despite haoyu being an old man who probably shouldn't bother learning to battle properly this late in the game, and clearly had well-cared for pokemon if the jolteon was anything to go by. "mr. devlin," he began, much more seriously than before, "do you think we'll be prepared for what's coming?"[break][break]

the question is vague, but he knows it must be clear that there is nothing else that can be referred to in this way but the war on the horizon, the one so real and daunting that even wildlife throughout the region have taken to stockpiling and hiding. [break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2024 23:44:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Did Josh have Haoyu hooked? Another loyal customer? The season passes weren't cheap, but those who regularly showed up easily got their money's worth. "And worth every PD, too. Tickets to Master Class races are expensive. Here, you can watch amateurs as well as pros compete!" Budget was an important part of an older individual's decision-making, what with many being on a fixed income.

The topic changed to something more somber and serious. "You mean the war, right?" the Gym Leader confirmed, though he didn't think it was entirely necessary after the words left his mouth. "I think Hoenn is well-prepared as a whole. I'm questionable, though... cause of this damn arm," he cursed out of frustration, knowing he would not be at full capacity when the fighting broke out and he would be called into the line of duty.

@haoyu

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2024 15:26:46 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      haoyu's sympathetic as josh references his injured arm. he has metal screws in his femur that make him doubt his capacity to contribute, too. not that he would ever put himself on the front lines; his medical background is more valuable to the cause, especially with his lack of battle prowess.[break][break]

"i hope you don't feel pressured to push yourself," haoyu finally said. he wanted to be mindful of the fact they were strangers, and youth tended to hate being lectured. "when the body demands rest, you either pay that debt now or a great one later."[break][break]

he knew too many people with lifelong pains because they did not fully recover from an initial injury. "and forgive my overstepping, but i think you would have a calling in pokemon rehabilitation." jolteon's unique saddle hadn't escaped his notice. and josh was caring for so many pokemon. with help, sure, but it was clear josh was passionate and knowledgeable in equal amounts. "not that i'm saying you can't or shouldn't fight. i just... i know how those injuries can take a turn for the worst when we push ourselves." [break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2024 1:51:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"My dad has shared similar words with me many times," Josh nodded, appreciative of the older man's wisdom. "This arm's a temporary thing. Medium to long term, but temporary. Once I get full motion in it again, it'll be good as new. But slow steps, I know. It's why I'm taking it slow."

Josh walked toward the giant Raikou stuffie, swung his leg over it, and sat astride it like he would a real Pokémon. Despite being marketed toward teenagers that never grew out of their youth, the oversized toy still brought smiles to the grown mans face. "You're not the first one to suggest that, and I'm sure you won't be the last. This actually isn't the first time I've been hurt like this in the war. By my count, it's my third."

@haoyu

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2024 16:19:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      the immaturity of his collection of toys held an odd juxtaposition with his war experience.[break][break]

"so, how do you move in battle with your injury? do you mind showing me?" he would have bad days where his bones didn't cooperate well. he had several old injuries bark at him on some mornings. but war did not wait for a good day. he would have to be ready to fight in unfair and disadvantageous conditions.[break][break]

haoyu needed to learn how to make a quick getaway, in case he was too hurt or he was transporting someone who was - with his medical experience, that would likely be his area of focus. "i have agile pokemon, but i don't really have the sense to escape effectively." not that he intended to ride them, but he needed to utilize their agility in order to get out of sticky situations, and he currently didn't know how to.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,928 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2024 20:47:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Conveniently, the Ride-On Raikou stuffie would let Josh answer that question easily enough. He grabbed the felt reins with one hand and ran that hand up and down them, leaning left and right as though he were turning. He kept his bad arm close to his body; it looked awkward, but his posture showed that he was a master of his craft.

"I actually fight from the saddle when possible," Josh answered Haoyu. "With me handling controls, it lets my mount focus on their attacks rather than on dodging. Keeps me out of harm's way and lets my Pokémon fight how they've been trained to."

Having agile Pokémon, but not knowing how to use them, was a great place for a guest trainer to start learning from Josh's Gym. Though riding was his preferred way to utilize a Pokémon's speed, it was not the only way. "Fast Pokémon make for really good decoys," the Champion suggested. "There's this old Johtonian proverb: 'A skilled decoy can get the enemy off your trail. A master decoy can live to do it again.' Speed is flashy. It captures attention. If you're looking to create a diversion, look no farther than a speedy Pokémon."

@haoyu

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
super unprepared [m]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2024 16:19:07 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","inner"]

[attr="class","body"]
      he smiled at the explanation. perhaps he needed to learn to lean into his pokemon's natural strengths while also fostering their growth with some direction, rather than leaving them to their instincts.[break][break]

"can you show me what that looks like? i think my raichu could benefit from this training." his thwackey wasn't as fast as his raichu by a long shot, so he wasn't sure she would benefit from an agility-centric lesson.[break][break]

he didn't want to waste the leader's time, but this kind of lesson could make a huge difference in his capacity to help - even on the less severe calls as a fire fighter; an agile pokemon could enter a home and identify persons inside in mere minutes, far faster than a person could.[break][break]

[break][break]

[attr="class","bottom"]

img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
EO GENESIS
Code and Crown: An advanced literate warriors cats RP, set in medieval times
Swords Clashing