5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
(Elite Test) The Determined and the Sentinel, Act 1
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2023 19:44:32 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh, one of the rising stars in Hoenn's Cym circuit and army, had taken 's words to heart. The strategy of blitzkrieg and blistering speed had served him well on the Gym circuit, many Leaders genuinely surprised at how much of a master of his specialty he was. The Elite Four, though, were trainers of a whole different caliber. These were some of the strongest trainers in the world, ones that may have received free invites to the World Championship.

Speed was supposed to be a tool in his toolbox, not the lynchpin of an entire strategy. It took losses to , , and for him to see the writing on the wall and realize he would need to devise a new strategy, perhaps counter-teaming each individual member of the Elite Four, to win. Keeping expectations low, Josh brought the same squad he did to his other bouts with Hoenn's finest. If he won, great! If he didn't, he would learn a lot about how Greyson fought, and be able to adjust his strategy with what he learned.

Seated on his Manectric's back, the Mauville Leader greeted Greyson. "Great to see you again," he waved, Saber barking once to also say hello. "Didn't think I'd be battling you again so soon. If I didn't say so, congratulations on the Elite Four position!"

{WC: 223}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Saber           Manectric         Good
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good
Bladestorm      Skarmory          Good
Nitro           Gogoat**          Good
Twilight        Absol             Good
Resheph         Dragonair         Good
close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 13:07:41 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","char-wrap"]
[attr="class","char-main"]
[attr="class","char-words"]"Thanks!" He calls from across the field. A smudge in the dirt captures his attention and he swipes at it with the toe of his shoe.
[Break][break]
He'd heard in passing about 's previous Elite Four challenges. They hadn't ended well. Provided he'd learned a measure from their previous battle, he expected the challenger to have a chance.
[Break][break]
"Shall we get started?"[break][break]

[break][break]Greyson was beginning to rethink his earlier assessment.[break][break]
He was currently down two Pokemon, while Josh was down three. Not bad, when you looked at numbers, but there was more to it. His Delphox, currently fielded, was toying with Josh's Pokemon. At this rate he would lose readily.[break][break]
"Mystical Flame," he instructs the fire-type. She responds with walls of violet tipped flame, pushing them to surround her opponent with a lazy flick of her wrist.

[break]

[attr="class","char-notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","char-pkmn"]

[newclass=.char-wrap] margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; background-color: #272727; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border: solid 1px #232323; border-radius:3px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-wrap b] color: #2a879e; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-wrap i] color: #cecece; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-wrap u] font: 800 12px Quattrocento Sans; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-main] padding: 25px; font: 12.5px Poppins; text-align: justify; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-pkmn] margin-top: -25px; margin-bottom: 15px; display: flex; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-words] padding: 10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-notes] background: #2b2b2b; border: 1px #232323 solid; border-radius: 3px; padding: 5px 20px 15px 20px; margin: 10px 7px 0px 8px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-notes h1] text-transform: uppercase; margin-bottom: 0px; letter-spacing: 2px; font: 600 14px Poppins; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-notes a] font: 13px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: .5px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 1:01:08 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Part of the reason Josh was not doing well was because at the time he had registered for the Elite Test, he was under the assumption he had to register for all four of his matches with the same team of six Pokémon. Midway through the challenge, that assumption had been shattered, but it was too late; registration had already locked in by the time he had come to that knowledge. It didn't help that, thanks to their last encounter, Greyson had come prepared for Josh's blitzkrieg, taking down his ultrafast Absol, Skarmory, and Pyroar with little effort. He did have a special way to handle the Delphox, though.

Josh hurled his TERA ORB toward Nitro. The grass-type Mount Pokémon became surrounded in tan crystals, the Terastal body surrounding him covered in cracks and fissures to represent his new GROUND typing that allowed him to defend against the MYSTICAL FIRE. "Now, counter with EARTHQUAKE!" the challenger cried over the crackling flames. It was a potential momentum shift for the Master of Faster, but one the world-class trainer could have easily seen coming...

{WC: 184}
{PC: 2}

Aslan           Pyroar**          KO
Bladestorm      Skarmory          KO

Nitro           Gogoat**          Good
Twilight        Absol             KO
close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
2,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2023 0:12:45 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","char-words"]Delphox envelops herself in psychic energy, lifting into the air as the earthquake shatters the landscape. She lifts her snout up at and his Pokemon, her wand twirling in retalation.
[break][break]
From the cracks of the Earth, fog seeps upwards. Purple and mystical, it consumes the battlefield beneath her.
[break][break]
It was the witching hour.

[break]

notes

[break]

[newclass=.char-wrap] margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; background-color: #272727; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border: solid 1px #232323; border-radius:3px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-wrap u] font: 800 12px Quattrocento Sans; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; text-decoration: none; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-main] padding: 25px; font: 12.5px Poppins; text-align: justify; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-pkmn] margin-top: -25px; margin-bottom: 15px; display: flex; [/newclass]

[newclass=.char-notes] background: #2b2b2b; border: 1px #232323 solid; border-radius: 3px; padding: 5px 20px 15px 20px; margin: 10px 7px 0px 8px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-notes h1] text-transform: uppercase; margin-bottom: 0px; letter-spacing: 2px; font: 600 14px Poppins; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]
[newclass=.char-notes a] font: 13px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: .5px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d4a53c; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2023 23:18:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Sentinel's powerful mind let her not only levitate over the fissures, but use them to her advantage. From within the depths beneath Greyson's Elite Four chamber rose a purple gloom unlike anything Josh had ever seen before. The Z-MOVE: WITCHING HOUR left Nitro CURSED and CONFUSED. While it did not cover the entire arena, it hampered the Gym Leader's mobility seriously and gave the Delphox a much-needed place to hide.

"Nitro, TRAILBLAZE a path out of there!" Josh shouted. The swift Grass-type move would have been the perfect method of leaving the cursed mist... that was, if the Gogoat didn't trip over one of the fissures produced by his own Earthquake. With his Pokémon's body seizing up and the mist expanding with every passing moment, would Saber and Resheph even be able to do anything to harm the Delphox, let along the rest of Greyson's team?

{WC: 148}
{PC: 3}

Nitro           Gogoat**          Curse/Confuse
close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
2,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2023 16:20:07 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","char-words"]In such a precarious position, 's GoGoat was simply food to the flame. Literally.
[break][break]
The violet mist separates like the Red Sea, a pathway carved by the Witch's intent alone as the tip of the wand burns beneath a gathering flame. Her movements are pointed and precise, but with an air of laziness to it; as if her opponent was barely worth the effort.
[break][break]
A simple flex of her wrist and—
[break][break]
"That's enough."
[break][break]
Greyson's voice carries across the quiet battlefield, echoing through the vapors and hollowed out earth.
[break][break]
"Tch." The sound is remarkably -like as it comes from the Delphox, but frustrated or not, the witching hour recedes back into the earth.
[break][break]
Footsteps echo as Greyson approaches, climbing over the ruined earth, trailed by a dozen-or-so Comfey's. His expression is calm, but an underlying anger threatens to bubble-over.
[break][break]
". You have failed this challenge. Present your fainted Pokemon so they may be taken-care of by my team here."

[break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2023 3:08:32 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It didn't even take a follow-up attack from the Delphox to down the grass-type. The Sentinel had repelled the fourth of Josh's six Pokémon. As Josh clutched Resheph's Poké Ball, ready to take down the Delphox once and for all with a swift flick of her AQUA TAIL, a buzzer sounded just as Greyson's voice boomed, indicating the end of the match. "But I still have two more--" Josh protested before cutting himself off.

The Gym Leader should have been grateful. Greyson graciously saved two of his strongest Pokémon from potential serious injury in a battle where Josh was outclassed. Not Josh's Pokémon. It was Josh himself that was outclassed, his hardheadedness and his lack of demonstrated adaptability holding him back form becoming a Champion. It was just as the other members of the Elite Four had said. While he had considerable skill, being a Champion wasn't about raw battle skill. It was also about leadership. Curbing one's emotions. Adaptability to any situation.

Speed was a powerful weapon, but a mere tool in a trainer's toolbox. Relying on raw speed as a win condition, or any one aspect of Pokémon for that matter, simply opened the door to hard counters. If he wanted to become a Champion, he needed to ease off the gas pedal. After all, there was little point to going beyond limits to reach first place if it meant running out of fuel before crossing the finish line.

He did as asked, briefly returning to the locker room to retrieve Saber's thundercloud-replica saddle and set it up after presenting his fallen Pokémon to Greyson for what he could only imagine would be a long treatment. The Manectric howled, sensing Josh's dejection as the Gym Leader set the electric dog's straps accordingly. "0-for-4," he loudly mumbled, though perhaps just clearly enough for Greyson to understand. "How embarrassing... this is such a gut punch after having a close match with ."

{WC: 327}
{PC: 4}

Nitro           Gogoat**          KO
close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
2,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 1:41:33 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","char-words"]The dozen-or-so Comfey get to work at treating the injuries between their two teams. aromatherapies soothe mental distress while floral healing work to the more physical wounds. Most of all, they provide companionship in such a burdensome time.
[break][break]
However, they shy away from Greyson. His anger palpable at this distance.
[break][break]
"I'm not normally inclined to agree with the Champion Assessments done by my colleagues, Devlin, but I find myself questioning my own judgement in allowing you to continue down this path."
[break][break]
It comes out harsher than Greyson was typically known for. But, with how often was on his mind as of late, he'd found himself thinking of the circumstances that got her kidnapped. The weakness of this organization; his own, most of all. It reflects subconsciously in his words.
[break][break]
"I spoke to you before about this... reliance on a single strategy. That's fine, if you simply wish to be a Gym Leader your entire life; if you didn't have anyone else relying on you. But, if you ever want to become something greater, than you need to adapt. More than that, the person you are now is a hinderance to your colleagues, and to the people you're meant to protect. So—
[break][break]
He gives Josh a hard look, violet eyes flaring with a tempest of emotions.
[break][break]
"—Convince me why I shouldn't cut you from this program entirely and save myself a future lecture."
[break][break]
[break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 4:47:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh wasn't quite sure why Greyson was so angry, but there was clear disdain in his speech from the way he was snapping off at Mauville's Gym Leader. He had completely forgotten about the battle they had with his Zeraora just prior the standing Elite Four taking his position. No wonder he was so upset; from his perspective, Josh had simply ignored the wise man's advice. His words were harsh. Abrasive. Cutting, even.

"Greyson, I know," Josh answered with his head tilted down. "I already have a new team ready with a wider variety of tactics. Melody and I talked about it after our match. I just couldn't use that team because I had already registered for our challenge by then. Lag time really sucks, doesn't it?" he sighed. "If you want to see what I have cooking, I suggest you spectate my match with Callan on the books." Of course, if he did, it would be trivial for the Elite Four to counter-pick his new team... but that also played into the message to adapt. Adapting not only meant coming to the battle with a diverse plan, but also to be willing to throw out that plan and improvise.

Greyson's last two remarks were especially thought-provoking. Damning, even. He tilted his head up, confident in how he resolved to Melody how he improved. "Like I said, Melody and I had a long conversation about my battle style after the match. We watched the replay together and she helped me identify where my shortcomings are. We identified together that unavoidable attacks are a problem for a battle style that focuses exclusively on speed. Former Councilwoman taught me that walling up, for a lack of a better term, is another problem. Before I talked to her about it, the idea behind the use of speed was never about dodging attacks. It was about preventing them from happening in the first place. But then I realized relying on speed as a win condition opens the door to hard counters."

It seemed Greyson had problems with not just Josh's battling skills, but with his character, as well. "If this is about Eris, or about Raikou, that's in the past. I don't allow either of them to control me anymore, like I used to," he sternly answered, his own eyes staring back at his fierce opponent with the same fiery passion he once put his entire life into chasing Raikou with. "I've already moved on. If you have a problem with me other than that or my battle aptitude, please bring it to my attention so I can rectify it."

The Master of Faster continued to echo his points he made to Melody. "Hoenn is the only region I know of where you don't have to challenge each member of the Elite Four with the same six Pokémon. Ultimately, you and Melody are trying to teach me the same lesson of adaptability. I know after two battles, you might not think I want to actually branch out. But I do." Josh shuffled his feet. "I tell you what. I'll prove it to you not with words, but with actions. I already registered for a rematch with . If you're not impressed after seeing my rematch with him... then..." He breathed a deep sigh, shedding a few tears.

"...Even after that, if you and the rest of the Elite Four really think I'm not fit to lead Mauville, I'll step down as Gym Leader."

{WC: 583}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
2,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 23:00:34 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","char-words"]Greyson lets the man get every word out. He knows Josh — not well, but enough — to expect his reasonings laid out in this way.
[break]
[break]

"I have no issue with you personally, nor how you've interacted with known members of Team Rocket." He settles that issue then, and there.
[break]
[break]

He exhales heavily through his nostrils before continuing.
[break]
[break]

"Do not mistake my words, Devlin. If I thought you were unfit to be a Gym Leader, you wouldn't need to step down — I'd have you removed, even if it meant doing so myself. Yet, that is not what I am saying here today, I'm—"
[break]
[break]

His jaw muscles work to temper the anger that rises, the anger that's been bubbling for so, so long now.
[break]
[break]

"—I'm telling you that a Champion Ranked trainer represents the best of the best the League has to offer. They do not need to bond with a God or lean on familiar strategies. Champion trainers should be leaders both on and off the battlefield who are capable of adapting to any scenario."

A couple of his Comfey's mew in concern.
[break]
[break]

"The I see before me? I don't think you're capable of that. But I want you to prove me wrong. I really do. I see untapped potential in you. The question remains: will you disappoint those that also believe in you?"

[break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2023 4:37:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed Greyson at least wasn't unhappy with Josh's performance in his current role as Mauville's Gym Leader; he seemed to take issue with the man seeking a greater role in the League. Ever since training with , Josh's numbers had improved. He was close to the ideal Gym Leader: friendly, popular, and boasting a unique challenge that tested challengers in ways other Gyms didn't. Patron and challenger reviews were raving, and he had a great work ethic. In order to be a Champion, though, Josh needed to go beyond that ideal. While perfection was, of course, impossible for humans to achieve, Champions had to strive to be as close to perfection as possible.

Even though he had put his feverish pursuit of Raikou to rest, all of the techniques he had hones to prepare himse for an encounter with the fastest Pokémon on land had stuck with him to the point of being a detriment to his skill. "I'll let that simmer for a while, but I have some ideas. I think a good start would be expanding my horizons as a Ranger and taking tickets of types I usually don't. You said it yourself: a Champion has to be willing to adapt to any situation. I can't think of a better way to learn to adapt than throwing yourself into situations that force you to do so."

Though it may have been tougher to believe Josh's words after not switching up his tactics between nattles, if there was one thing that may have impressed Greyson about him, it was his work ethic. He wanted to do what he could to improve; to become a true Champion of Hoenn. One that protected not just Mauville, but the entire region. "Absolutely not. believes in me. Deep down, I know Callan does, too. Mauville Racing Grounds has a huge following. I can't let any of them down. Nor can I let down any of the countless victorious challengers that I'm sure you will see. Yes, it's a hard road. But it's not an impossible one." The Master of Faster stomped his foot.

"It may not be for quite some time, Greyson... maybe not even this year. But we will see each other again. And I can assure you that we will not have a third meeting in these halls." The fire in Josh's eyes burned hot; it was clear he was a man on a mission. A mission of self-improvement that he needed to go on to prove that he had what it took to be a true leader of Hoenn.

When Josh's Pokémon were returned to him, he would send out his Manectric, mount up, and wave goodbye to the staunch Elite Four member.

{WC: 457}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,806 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2023 0:36:59 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]E4 CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(LOSS)