6,064 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2024 4:40:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Not long after the Silph Cup was over, Pacifidlog Town had returned to its quiet self. It was the perfect spot for Josh and to relax on the waves alongside some of his newest recruits to the Gym. A strong west wind blew against the currents toward Mauville, making the waters home to the aquatic race course and surrounding area extremely choppy. Even Staccato felt the need to wrap his tail around a pole at the end of a pier, the Primarina's reins whipping about in the wind.

"Afternoon, Yuina," the new Champion greeted the Elite Ranger, Josh dressed in a water-resistant blue Ranger uniform. "Sure is windy. Might have to call up and kindly ask his Tornadus to take this wind elsewhere." Even if he could, he was not on good terms with the Birdfather. "How about we confirm the mission before heading out there? Gonna need a stout Pokémon to battle water conditions today." Shortly after reaching for his phone, a frown appeared on his face. That frown turned into a look of frustration. "...Yuina, this is embarrassing, but I can't log into RangerNet. Can you pull up the briefing on your phone while I email tech support?"

{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Ecco            Palafin           Good
Buzz            Floatzel          Good
Dimitri         Feraligatr        Good
Snacker         Sharpedo          Good
Suicune         Walking Wake      Good
Staccato        Primarina         Good
close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Curator/Hisuian Historian
Elite Ranger
I don't want
To imagine a past, that doesn't have you in its future
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
To truly know one's self, look back on the marks you've made in history
awards
1,234 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2024 21:31:25 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]
[attr="class","franntag"]

[attr="class","frannmain"]

Having made her way to the coast of the region, the southern portion of the ocean, Yuina and Daikenki both made their way into the waters in order to meet up with Josh. The weather was indicitive of summer time approaching, the water was warmer, the sun was higher. It would be nice to spend some more time out on the water and the beaches of the region than she did the summer before. Even more now because she knew her way around the region.[break][break]
Sat along Daikenki's shoulders, the Samurott moved through the stiff ocean winds, the ocean currents strong. It was a bit of work, but they did manage to make it to Josh, and the Primarina that she remembered, the one that came to them through a distortion.[break][break]
"Hey Josh," Yuina called, meeting his greeting. Daikenki barked as the Samurott pushed forward in the water, bobbing now along the stiff waves that pushed around them.[break]
"I think Daikenki can handle fine," she smiled, patting the side of his broad neck as she took out her device to confirm their mission.[break][break]
"Right, the winds have been pretty strong the last couple of days, Pacifidlog is worried about loosing some of their platforms to the currents. So we just need to make sure they're stable or reinforce them for the spring and summer," Yuina confimred.

notes[break]
Mission: Committment Act II -> Pacifidlog Town[break]

[attr="class","frannpoke"]

[newclass=.frann]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frannmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.franntag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323;  border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35);  border-top-style: solid;  border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann b] color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann i] color: #cecece; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 10px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frannpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,064 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2024 22:52:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The wind was so strong that it even blew Josh's spiky hair around. He was happy it was almost always warm this far south; if it were even ten degrees cooler, chills would have been a real danger in their work today. Their assignemnt was simple: check on the platforms holding Pacifidlog up and make minor repairs as needed. Any repairs beyond what their loaned tools and their Pokémon could fix was to be reported to a special team. "These types of assignments are so relaxing. Needs to be done, especially after the Silph Cup. I can't imagine the stress they must have been under, what with us whipping around the city's perimeter at a million miles an hour." As much of an obvious exaggeration it was, that seemed to be the most likely reason for the inspection.

"Alright, Staccato, you ready?" Josh asked the Primarina, the fairy-type swimmer responding with a cry not unlike the voice of an opera singer. He slid off the platform and onto Staccato's saddle, his other Pokémon ready to go, as well. Forming a dive bubble around his trainer so Josh could breathe, his newer partner submerged, the rider skillfully reining his unusual mount in accordance with the current. He knew he would have to rotate his Pokémon; fighting such waves would not be sustainable for a single Pokémon. He wondered if Yuina had also brought multiple water-types for this purpose. It would be expected of an Elite Ranger...

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Elite Ranger
I don't want
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
awards
1,234 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2024 0:36:55 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]

Situating again after putting her device away, a hand smoothed out over Daikenki's blue fur as the Samurott moved to fight the waves, Yuina looked up to Josh confirming their mission specs.[break][break]
"That's right, oh I'm sorry I had to miss that. I bet it was great! I've just been so busy working on my accreditation review with the natural history museum... I hope you had fun with it Josh," Yuina offered, an apology, but a friendly offer of compassion all the same. He deserved to enjoy and indulge in his greatest passion.[break][break]
Ready with a set of equipment for making the dive beneath the surface, Yuina held fast to Daikenki's neck as Josh and his Primarina made the plunge first. The Samurott followed, dipping beneath the water's surface, and true to form the water was just as strong below as it was above. The currents were changing, likely with the oncoming season of warmer weather. Yuina made sure to hold tight, hooking the tops of her feet to the sides of Daikenki's arm guards as they descended further into the depths.[break][break]
They intended to start at the farthest edge of Pacifidlog and work their way in, and it was already clear to Yuina that she was going to get just as much of a workout, if not more, than any one of her Pokemon with the intensity of the water.

notes[break]

[newclass=.frann]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frannmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.franntag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323;  border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35);  border-top-style: solid;  border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann b] color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann i] color: #cecece; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 10px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frannpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,064 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON Apr 25, 2024 2:02:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Yuina was a busy bee, too, it seemed; while working with a museum and being a Gym Leader were different kinds of work, they were still work that kept the two from doing everything they wanted to. "It's okay! If you ever want the Silph Cup experience, come to Mauville Gym and sign up for a challenge. You'll get to race some of my co-workers!" The weather was getting great for it, and several of Yuina's favorite Pokémon were great for tearing up several of the Gym Leader's courses.

They had work to do, though.

Staccato submerged, Josh feeling the swishing motion of the fairy-type's long tail as he resisted the current. Keeping his balance on the Primarina would be important. When he noticed his mount slowing, he squeezed the aquatic creature's sides, coaxing an AQUA JET out of him. She wrapped her tail around one of the sturdy-looking pillars to rest, Josh keeping an eye out for any that looked like they needed to be replaced. He waved for Yuina's attention, pointing toward the easternmost pillar that looked like it needed to be reinforced.

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Elite Ranger
I don't want
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
awards
1,234 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON May 3, 2024 21:50:27 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]

Fighting the depths as Yuina clung to Daikenki, the two followed Josh through the currents as they descended beneath Pacifidlog. Seaweed swayed almost violently with each push of the water, sand drifts were ever shifting, and rocks rolled along the sea floor below. It wasn't unlike an incredibly windy day on the surface, but it just felt heavier from the density of the sea water.[break][break]
Josh and his Pokemon clung to one of the supports, when he pointed to another just in the near distance, the beginning of their work. She had her tools in hand as she drew out another Pokeball, knowing that Crowley would have the muscle necessary to make sure things stayed in place while she worked. The Feraligatr harrumphed in the water, bubbles emerging from his maw, and Yuina directed him towards the pillar in question as he brought his arms up to steady it. With Crowley keeping it still, to the best of their ability, Yuina got to work as she clung with her legs to Daikenki.

notes[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,064 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON May 4, 2024 18:54:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With the Samurott and Feraligatr working together, repairs were complete. Seeing Staccato's diving bubble visibly shrinking, Josh pointed toward the surface. He and his Pokémon floated upward, letting the current take him to the city's eastern docks. Were Yuina to surface with him, Josh would breathe a deep sigh.

"Phew! Staccato and I need a break. Keeping balance down there is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Moving water's no joke." That only a handful of his water Pokémon could swim against the current at all was a testament to its strength. "Great job getting the one fixed. That seemed to be the one in the worst shape. You see any others that needed attention? Even if you didn't, we do need to go back down and give it a once-over. Don't want a critical one of these failing, after all!"

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Elite Ranger
I don't want
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
awards
1,234 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON May 4, 2024 23:45:08 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]

Working on the support pilar, bracing against Daikenki as Crowley held it firm and in place, Yuina could already tell that she ached from the exertion of trying to hold steady against the beating water. Finishing the work that she did on the beam, she took a moment to glance around, there might be another one they definitely needed to take a look at, but Josh motioned them back to the surface. She was happy to oblige.[break][break]
Yuina and her few Pokemon emerged from the water's depths, coming up to meet Josh, and Yuina couldn't help the exasperation of slumping against the back of Daikenki's neck.[break][break]
"Oh my gosh, I had no idea. It is really intense down there," Yuina huffed in agreement, Crowley was anchored to a rock with his claws, and Daikenki braced himself against one of the pillars they were closest to.[break]
"I think I did see one more we should take a closer look at, and then a good once around just to make sure," Yuina nodded, they were on the same page. The one lap around the entirety of pacifidlog could very well be her undoing though. She'd definitely have to take a break after this mission.

notes[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,064 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Surf's Up
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 7:55:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was clear that Staccato needed more than just a break; the Primarina was growing quite fatigued. "Great job out there, Staccato; you deserve a long rest." He climbed off his Pokémon and onto the ladder hanging from the side of the dock before recalling the fairy-type. Replacing him was a Palafin that was not too much smaller than Staccato; perhaps the dolphin would have been called an Alpha in Yuina's original world. With a cheerful chatter, the Pokémon greeted Josh and Yuina. "This is Ecco, one of the new recruits to Mauville Gym."

Josh simply let his legs hang over the side of the dock as Ecco floated atop the waves. "How you been since they shut the Champion Assessment down? There's been quite a bit of turmoil of late. I'm glad I got to finish mine before the Elite Four were displaced the way they were." While he didn't bring up Kyle directly, it may have been clear to Yuina that the late Top Champion was where he was going.

{PC: 5}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights