4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 0:16:04 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she held his stare for as long as she could, if only not to back down, and flex her thick skin. friendly but zonked eyes narrowed some.

lulu then decided she’d caught a second wind.

getting hartigan’s attention, she ordered four shots of top-shelf johtonian whiskey, eliciting some kind of look from the bartender. it was the first time she’d decided to flaunt the sum of money that now sat in her bank account.

she slid two of them to fernando, daringly, suspecting he had to get back to work at some point. even on the olive branch, there was a thorn somewhere.

“i’m glad.” she finally responded, raising one with a pinky up and sounding most galarian, “cheers.” then threw one back. as someone who appreciated the taste of liquor, it felt obscene to throw it down the gullet, but it also felt thrillingly rich.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 0:26:41 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Now that’s a change of pace. Whether the liquor is expensive or not doesn’t matter. They all taste the same, more or less, some notably smoother but the nuances are wasted on someone with a dilated taste like Fernando. But it’s the from where Hartigan grabs the bottle that highlights the audacity of her actions.

Tch.” Fernando flexes his finger against the empty can, tapping each one with a rhythmic pang. “You don’t have to dress to impress.

Two shots sit in front of him and totaling his previous mistakes, that puts him well into a bad territory— bad for work hours, mind you. Only the need to grasp his own ego allows him to indulge in succumbing to her dare, silently mouthing off his own thanks as he wastes it away in a single gulp.

But you do impress.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 1:54:17 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she smirked, setting the glass down as he did.

it warmed her own ego to feel like she was displaying some sort of worldliness to someone of the prestigious upper echelon of society. it was a circle she’d been born into and left in her youth, and there were times she did wonder what it might feel like to brush elbows with royalty of capital once again; to show the blue blood no one knew ran through her veins. more often than not, she felt ashamed of it.

she’d not often shown a love of money. and typically, she wouldn’t flaunt it when she had it. it made her spine crawl and showed her ugly—the truly evil part of her breeding. she’d injected murder and the rest herself.

tonight, with the largest sum she’d ever accumulated at once, there was a craving for indulgence, glamour, the taboo. this was her las vegas.

she picked up the next shot, eyeing him competitively to see if he was keeping pace, and threw it back. as though already keenly aware of the price of her purchases, she placed enough bills on the bar top to comfortably cover a 100% tip for their good sport of a bartender and then turned to look at the door.

“stopped raining.” she noted. “care for a smoke?”

she’d be leaving after, one way or another. it was bedtime.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 2:07:04 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Fernando flounders behind her, praying or her to absolve her own crimes with patience or interruption. They don’t drink at the same time, him always lagging slightly behind her, but they do match pound for pound, ego against ego.

The irony is that on the surface, this is nothing more than friendly banter strum from battered pride from an unknown circumstance. Underneath a couple layers, they’re the source of their own problems, unknowingly intermingling from their greatest nuisance from last night.

An eye strays to her payment and he tilts his head in confusion. It’s one thing to flaunt. It’s another to be wasteful. The whole practice reeks of suspicion but he doesn’t mouth it on the underlying assumption that whatever ‘haul’ she landed was paid for in spades with the exhaustion that bleeds from her eyes and skin.

I don’t smoke.

Not during working hours. Not without reason. Whatever circumstances Fernando went through last week died when he got his hands on them. Otherwise, he only smokes when he gambles, or for a select few occasions. As rattled as today might have them, his refusal serves as a telling clue to anyone who knows him intimately.

Unfortunately, no one does.

But go ahead.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 2:37:36 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she looked at him only another moment before giving a “hm.” again, as he had before.

the liquor smirked. “my brother doesn't either.”

she stood to leave with some sort of smile still about her, solrock following. she was nearly out the door before she slowed a step and turned to speak over her shoulder. “hope your day gets better.” and it sounded genuine.

sunlight, that neither had seen before entering, assaulted the bar for a moment. then the door shut behind her.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 3:18:53 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“

His eyes accompany her departure right until she hits the door. Well wishes are accepted with a dip of his head but nothing more passes between them.

The road to hell is paved on good intentions; hers doubles back as a curse that ensures his day is anything but. It comes with the line of work and he never puts one and one together. Superstition is well below him. There are more important things to weigh-in on, things that rely on fact and recreation, not slanderous words held high only by invisible faith.

night 10: thursday 10:12 pm

Tonight, Fernando does not come alone. A single man accompanies him, dressed casually, laughing with a boisterous joy that contrasts his own quiet, reserved personal space. They find a spot on the bar, Kaleidoscope more full than usual, and hammer way in mindless chatter that lacks any buzzwords.

Those Silph recognizes as regulars are given brief looks of acknowledgement, his version of saying ‘hi’ without detracting from giving his guest their much needed attention. He doesn’t even give Hartigan a hard time today, only briefly mentioning he knows the bartender by name.

The man, never mentioned by name, spends the night yapping away about his fishing trips off the shores of Lilycove. It’s loud enough for anyone nearby to hear, befuddled with crass jokes and mindless ranting, but provides nothing insightful as to what goes on in the life of Fernando Silph.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2021 3:35:43 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

for the second night since she had begun visiting kaleidoscope, she sat at a table apart from the bar. she’d stopped in before beginning her mission for the night to get a drink or two, for nerves that were not necessarily frayed but required fairly consistent smoothing over.

she didn’t see fernando and his company enter, because as she sipped her whiskey, her own face was hidden behind the cover of a laptop—which faced everyone else as she sat in a corner, haloed by a soft, fluorescent glow. she hadn’t been able to help herself. the second thumb drive which had neither been turned over nor discussed, filled with a random collection of devon corp.’s files, blinked out of the sleek side of the meticulously custom-built machine. it had been a major object of her curiosity for days, and she’d had little time to dig through it all, so she was taking the opportunity. she was that asshole bringing her work to the bar.

her solrock hovered under the table, watching the rest of the patrons, certainly identifying her to any regular with a passing eye regardless of her lack of face.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2021 7:12:59 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]The night comes to an uneventful close. The only consequence of note is that Fernando drinks a bit more than most nights, slowly unraveling a quiet rowdiness that matches his companion’s tall tales with sarcastic rebukes and ridicule. “You’re so full of shit,” he bludgeons with an accompanying laugh before patting the man on the back.

They leave together, promising to meet up soon, as he sends him off to his wife for the night. He too returns to his condo, alone, but grateful for an opportune reunion.

night 11: friday 11:03 pm

Local News remains saturated with the reports of young trainers combing the Mauville Deserts for treasure and fame. No matter how many times the anchor repeats that the League does not condone such activities the repetition never ends. For someone who represents the organization and their high council, he seems unfazed, apathetic to the plights these reckless daredevils will soon face.

Tch.

A short commercial break just gives them to regurgitate the same story. “What a load of shit,” he murmurs, tilting his head in her direction. “What’s the appeal? A chance to throw yourself in harm’s way to get ambushed by Megalopolan?

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2021 9:17:24 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she’d come to bar with new hair today—gone dark. a change with purpose, but it would not seem as such. it was normal for people to switch up their looks. she’d left new contacts that would become the norm at home, eyes remaining their natural amber.

she sipped the respectable añejo in her hand. while no longer blatantly showing off, lulu seemed to be in a better place financially than she had been a week ago. she’d even rented out a modest month-by-month apartment in a decent area of slateport.

without looking over at him, perpetually tired eyes still lingering on the replaying news, she suggested: “money?” she had known that strong motivation at times.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2021 12:00:41 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] “Money?

Barbaric. Fernando doesn’t see eye-to-eye with such a viewpoint. He refuses to. Even with the recognition that his upbringing laces him with a privileges that few can dream of, he remains adamant in his judgement.

Tch. Can’t spend it if you’re dead,” he mutters. Among those in Hoenn, no one’s avarice can match his own. In regards to the objects he treasures, at least. Everything else? Pointless. Which begs the question, what does Fernando Silph value above all else?

The answer is easy: his own life. Self-preservation is the key to a long and prosperous life. He owns too much to give it up now. All of his efforts, his position with the League, all a stepping stone to curate a world where he can enjoy the fruits of his labor in peace.

Would you risk your neck for a pretty coin?

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2021 13:07:34 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

it was a surprisingly down to earth thing to say for a man of his wealth. “fair point.” she responded, angling her chin towards him. her eyes lagged on the screen a moment longer before following.

“if i needed it, maybe.” she then considered. “hypotheticals aside, no.”

she finished her drink and gestured to hartigan for another, thanking him upon receipt. the corners of her lips rose. she worked for the types of people he was turning his nose up at. money was power, as far as she’d ever seen. she could feel it in her pocket. it did affect her. but like fernando, her survival instincts had always trumped all else.

“although i did fight in the war. i suppose i’m not scared of them. for a pretty coin, perhaps i could guard my neck well enough.” a smirk guised it in facetiousness and she felt devious for it. in truth, she was fascinated by megalopolans.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 7:11:14 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed." Acknowledgement in agreement is good enough for him. Without contest, his point stands and is reinforced by a lack of contention. The news continues to play out a new segment highlighting the pretense and background behind the expedition and Fernando allows the chatter to buzz in the back of his attention span.

"Oh?" It shouldn't come as a surprise. Many people fought in the war. It was do or die, the survival of a region at stake against the ambitions of another world. Although the conflict was restricted to a few key-points, losing any of the front would've have opened up the helm for a region-wide siege. Her service and therefore patriotism, is appreciated, earning her a curious smile and hesitates at queuing up another drink.

"Where were you stationed?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 8:17:49 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

“mauville.” true enough. “strange place, ‘uh?” lulu didn’t trust ghosts, but she certainly wouldn't come out and say it like that. mauville, second to only rustboro, remained to be one of her least favorite cities—and the war had not helped this status. she sipped her well-aged tequila, glancing back up at the screen.

not having expected his curiosity, she faltered with a moment of silence from there. she hadn’t had much else to say about it, and certainly not enough to fulfill a conversation. it had been death-ridden; he’d seen the statistics. lulu wasn’t one to talk about her feelings, however heavy they might have been. not to mention, coasting on CALM MIND and añejo, she was practically dissociating too much to even have the capacity to tap into such recollections. sedated with a potent mixture, she felt the relief of apathy, and it ran too deep, and too cozy.

she said nothing, sticking to a short, dismissive diversion that essentially equated to: ‘so how about the weather?’

she then took another sip, briefly breathing in the sting.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 8:25:21 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ah."

For Fernando, curiosity runs a fine line between prying and caginess. There's always a need to know more, to have every answer available, but remaining discrete is an art unappreciated by the masses. Only in casual conversation do they have a chance to touch upon the vulnerable. Each exchange presents a new opportunity, weaving a string of sentences that lays out too much to bear when one proves less than vigilant.

And the great countermeasure to all of this is one word: silence.

An awkward quiet presides between them and Fernando knows not to force her to talk. It's a touchy subject laden with demise and tragedy. What that means to Lulu, he'll never know, but he wisens up to her lack of enthusiasm.

"And here they are throwing themselves into round two."

He switches the focus back up to recent events. On the other hand, he'll have that drink now. Tonight's choice is pretty simple and therefore tame. Fernando recluses onto a personal favorite and a Kanto Sake bomb set is ordered under a quick quip with Hartigan.

"Got any plans for the week?"

When it comes to small talk, Fernando always opts for the basic bitch route.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,383 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 9:00:33 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she didn’t respond to his commentary. her eyes lingered on hartigan’s hands as he assembled the drink. at his question, her lips peeled back and she let out a ‘hah’. she subtly swirled the glass once on its edge.

“i work too much to make plans.” that, and lulu didn’t have any friends. she had coworkers and associates, colleagues. any time spent away from her work felt like more of a trap than an escape. society deemed it unhealthy. for her, it was natural. no level of trauma or toxicity had ingrained that in her—she had always been this way. it was why bars drew her so much; her prime supplement of human interaction on many days. there was some level of detachment and a lack of pressure. and there was booze, which appealed to her addictive nature.

the glass met her lips again, from which an unguarded smile hadn’t yet totally faded. “what about you? how do you ever get enough of a break to do anything but come down here?” money was her hard guess, but she’d give him the opportunity to say it was diligence or efficiency. if, that was, he ever did leave work himself.