Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 4:26:22 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

night 1: tuesday 11:34 pm

ice crackled at a sudden shock of hot bourbon—something middle-shelf with a higher proof. smokey. sharp. unpretentious, but not piss.

she’d been seated at a far table; one which had a good view of the entrance. she’d been drinking alone, perhaps waiting to see someone who never came. at the bar again, she was flanked by a levitating solrock, ever-present in her shadow.

a plainly manicured hand wrapped around the tumbler as it was offered. “add it to my tab, would you?” her northeastern galarian accent was as thick as they came.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 5:15:40 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Tonight is no different from any other night. Fernando gives up stomaching another hour of work when it involves having to reach out to someone else. Having to rely on them, much less wait on them, kills his spirit. The solution is to kill his night the same way he always does: a night in some random Lilycove bar, drinking whatever the special is, or whatever the bartender recommends, while watching whatever HNN special plays on TV.

His eyes settle onto someone he doesn’t recognize. Not that he recognizes everyone who walks past Kaledioscope’s doors, but rarely do they have a Pokemon in accompaniment, much less a Solrock.

Interesting.

Couldn’t be him, not with something so bulky and conspicuous, but to each their own.

night 4: friday 10:54 pm

Friday nights are always the slowest. Why? He couldn’t tell you but he’d have to guess that Kaledioscope appeals to a lowkey, chill break room type of pub. Anyone caught on a Friday night is bound to be somewhere more uplifting, living up the end of the week with a round of shots before delving into a night of debauchery. That’s why this quaint little pub grows on him.

Only four other patrons remain. Among them, Fernando turns in early, sitting at the bar counter, nursing a well condensed bottle of Hoongie. A battle from Kalos’ Ultraball Cup comes to a conclusion and the Councilman shakes his head in resignation.

Damn.

His choice in victor loses and, as per tradition, he buys everyone a round of their choice. It’s more of his punishment for losing against the bartender than anything else, but those who’ve caught him during Battle Season know the tradition well. As one of the newer patrons, the bartender eventually call out to Lulu she can get whatever she wants.

Silphy upped and lost again. Let us know when you’re ready, hun. Drinks on rich boy,” he shouts, pointing at Fernando hanging head as he lives through being humiliated once more.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 6:33:00 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

night 4: friday 10:56 pm

why did she come to places like these? considering why she drank, it might’ve made more sense to drink alone. old habits. she was becoming impossibly less social. here, she could synthetically medicate her loneliness with an anonymous crowd and relax for a moment.

her energy didn’t really match that of the rest of the remaining patrons. she’d been idly watching the tv and then the men's reactions, curious, as it seemed to be the only thing going on.

heavy amber eyes regarded the top of the rich boy’s head as it hung.

she sipped on her first for another minute or so before approaching the bar. her solrock followed expressionless, respectfully lowkey.

lulu looked at the man that had been declared silphy once more, and then back to the bartender. “sure, i’ll take another.” and slid her empty glass across the bar, lightly, but with a rather impeccable flick of the wrist.

“thanks, rich boy.” her eyes smiled more than her mouth did, and it was still scant. patient. curious, but not curious enough to ask.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 6:55:16 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Tch.

Their jeering ends after they’ve had their fun at his expense. A recap of the battle buzzes loudly from the television as commentators speculate about next week’s match.

Don’t get used to it,” Fernando grumbles before killing what’s left of his beer. A good half a bottle causes him to gasp once its down his gullet and he taps the empty bottle against the counter, a request for another. “Second loss all season. It won’t happen a third.

The overall lack of people means they get the barkeep attention quick. “Give me whatever she’s getting as well,” he says, eyeing her Solrock with his peripheral vision.

Two rounds though.

Newbies always get another round. It’s a quick check to her tolerance and his way of welcoming another patron.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 7:20:07 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

the solrock’s eyes tilted with a sort of gravity towards fernando, seeming to sense the subtlest attention it had drawn.

they each received a double añejo, neat.

lulu turned her eyes to the recap briefly, craving the sort of thrill, and pensively rubbing a finger through the condensation on her glass.

after a moment, she asked “why the same drink as me?”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 7:39:22 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Best way to learn other drinks.

Fernando watches the bartender prepare the drink, keeping an eye on what type of bottle he grabs and where he grabs it from. Something readily accessible means it’s something common and nothing fancy. Having to look for it, or reach a high shelf, or behind another bottle, implies it’s something he’s not used to.

Actually, get me a beer too,” Fernando adds in once he sees the shot.

Four shots are divided between the two of them. Silph doesn’t make a move until he has his beer, a suitable chaser should the alcohol prove too potent.

One to test, and prepare myself,” he says, grabbing the first shot. “The second to enjoy and see if I like it.” The second one fills his other hand.

He waits for her so they can kill them at the same time.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 8:02:50 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

the warmth in her eyes was wavering like a dimly lit candle.

she watched the liquor divided into shot glasses and actually stifled a smirk, eyes slowly falling over to his side of the bar again. “i’m not shooting these with you. drink like you’ve got some dignity. you sip añejo.” she lent him the very smallest smile. “even when you lose.”

she walked back down the bar to re-secure her old tumbler before it hit the wash, and brought it over, promptly dumping the shots in without losing a drop. swirling it once and pushing her nose into the glass for a moment, she eyed at him from over the rim as she inhaled and then took a sip.

soon, as an alternative to giving him too much further attention, her eyes drifted back up to the tournament recaps. she then spoke to the bartender. “can i smoke in here?”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 8:14:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Uh huh."

He sounds like he understands, as if he'll follow through with the motions, but his actions say otherwise. He still waits for her, watching her leave him, if only for a moment, before she comes back. When she diverts her attention to the television, he squanders the shot, taking it in stride and regretting it soon after. Hence the beer. Fernando's tolerance in holding liquor might last with the best of him but his tolerance for their bite is something else. The way he swallows the first few gulps is short of washing his mouth out.

"Not normally," the bartender answers. He takes a look around before setting his gaze at Fernando, the only other person between them. Silph shrugs, allowing the bartender to give her the clear. "But ain't no one going to put up a fuss. Have at it."

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 8:34:13 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she looked between the two of them a moment to be sure, and then reached into a small bag she’d carried in. as her gaze drifted down, she noted that his shot glasses were empty. he’d choked them down. the man seemed on a mission. it was friday.

drawing out a cigarette, she put it to her lips and lit it with a match. she shook out the flame and then set it on the bar top, fidgeting with the wooden end of it some and taking a drag before a sip of her drink. “thanks.” she said aloud to either of them. her eyes then settled on fernando.

“i should hope you lose every time, now, then?” she raised her glass to him, brows raised for an answer.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 8:57:59 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Tch."

Fantasy Pokemon Battling hurts more because he knows who should've have won. On paper, the match was a sure thing, but execution relies solely in the hand of someone else. Whether it be nerves or just an inconsistent day, that miniscule margin of error is enough to kill his win streak and ruin his lineup for the next two weeks.

"You can hope but I wouldn't bet against me."

He taps what's left of his beer bottle against her glass in a makeshift cheer before giving it a go and turning his attention back to the television. "Silph. Fernando Silph." As if someone in Hoenn didn't already know the esteemed Councilman and Silph Co. CEO.

It breaks to commercial and ads play for last minute Christmas Shoppers.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 9:29:08 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she gave a knowing nod and returned to her drink. she didn’t gamble anyways. at his name, however, something in her core rose. an alarm went off. that was something.

“rich boy.” she echoed, pulling the cigarette back to her lips and pondering.

she decided to wear a smirk. “i guess i probably wouldn’t bet against you.” faded eyes stared at him a moment too long, quirking a brow and then drowning any evidence of deception into the pool of liquor.

she realized when her ashes were towering that she had nowhere to dispense of them, and looked to the bartender for aid, motioning to the nearby empty shot glass as though to ask permission.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 9:42:44 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Not that rich." Just enough to be disgusted by the shamelessness of the adverts flickering on the screen. Shopping for him is a different ball game, a menial task better left for someone who's time is worth pennies on the dollar compared to someone as pompous as him. "Just sort of, kind of."

Drinking habits demand more but discipline staves off incessant urges. Let time take its toll and if he doesn't feel so much as a sweat in ten or so minutes he's good for another blast.

"Aw shite," self-imposed regret enunciates through the bartender's exclamation when he recognizes the silent request. He fumbles behind the bar on the off-chance that there's an ash tray somewhere— he's sworn he's seen it once before, but gives up when his search ends up as fruitless as his actual care. This time, he shrugs, settling on the only real solution present.

"The type of rich that still bums cigs," he sneaks in after he catches the little exchange. Traditionally, Silph never smokes unless he's gambling or he's in deep shit but there are always exceptions. Seeing someone else partake kick starts an envy that itches at him to join in. At first, he ignores it, but the downswing of his mood makes it all too hard to pass up. Only problem is he didn't bring jack shit.

"You mind?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 10:21:44 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

she didn’t believe him, and her face read that. she’d come from an obscenely rich family, herself. was he squirming?

she finally released the precariously leaning ashes into the closest of silph’s empty shot glasses.

a wisecrack rose halfway up her throat and died. “of course not.” she smiled and reached into her purse again, pulling out a smoke and handing it to him, along with a half-used, ratty book of matches.

she took a healthy sip, draining a third of her glass. “my name’s lulu.”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 10:36:17 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Appreciated."

Beggars can't be choosers. It's less about the brand and moreso that he has to navigate using matches. Feelings the smooth surface of a lighter, even a dinky disposable one, is a good part of the experience. At least it feels like it when Fernando's been spoiled with polished silver and a perfectly grooved flint wheel.

Running the match brings a different type of satisfaction and he lights his with a promptness that's more happy to be done with it more than anything else. He lets the cig sit between his fingers, untouched, before sneering. "Next week, I won't lose, Lulu. Bet on that," is the last thing he has to say before indulging.

Pink pixie dust replaces the grey carbon he inhales. It's no MISTY TERRAIN but the avatar's innate anatomy shows in more ways than one. It makes him smell like a gaudy candle. The ones labeled vanilla but oversaturated with pecha and last minute valentine flowers.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,370 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
betcha don't know [c]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2021 20:03:30 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

lulu had possessed a zippo, but had lost it before the war in a shootout in rustboro. she’d instead been collecting matches from bars where she’d found them. no more singeing her nose hairs off trying to get a light from blaziken. she pocketed the matchbook once he was finished.

the pungent smell of sulfur dioxide did something to her.

however, it gradually gave way to strong notes of floral and gourmand. unable to conceal her interest, lulu’s head turned a good forty-five degrees towards the smell’s origin. in his direction.

she stared at him for a long moment, clearly bemused, and looking almost expectant, as though the question were obvious enough to not be spoken. she brought the filter to her lips, eyes wondering what it was he was smoking.