thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 9, 2021 19:18:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
You know what happens when you fail, Merlino.

He knows. There is punishment, there is pain, and then there is routine. Routine dictates the patterns that must be followed no matter the agony he's in; if he hadn't failed the mission, it would have been a day like any other.

He winces as he pushes open the door to the lab. It hurts to move, and his fingers tremble.

He reports to the lab's supervisor, then shuffles over to the station to which he's been assigned. He washes his hands in the sink, jaw clenched as sterile soap aggravates what looks like road rash on his palms.
close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 9, 2021 20:07:20 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","razzboxbl"]

When Dr Merlino comes in its hard not to miss just how stiff he is and the visable burises are imposaible to miss even for this twelve year old. Thankfully his dad always told him that he is free to help anyone as long as they were okay with his help. He asked his father about helping and the man just gives a nod before Raziel was quick to appear by the injured doctor's side with one Espurr on top his slick back hair and another in his arms. [break][break]

"Um hello Dr Merlino uhh sir," always be respectful, until you prove otherwise these people are your betters. [break][break]

"Umm sir said it would be okay to help you out so you don't fall behind," he tells him kind of forgetting to mention the 'if you allow it part' but he means well. If Gavin were to look toward Raziel's father the man would be giving a wanring stare. A reminder on what was said when this project started and he first brought his son. [break][break]

'This is my son Raziel, he is here to help with whatever you need, from note taking to getting you food, if there is an issue you tell me and I will deal with it. Any of you hurt my son I hurt you´

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.razzboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#3E7E96;[/newclass]

[newclass=.razzboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl i]color:#fff;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 9, 2021 21:25:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Dr. Merlino.

His hands are red from the heat of the sink's water running over them; he'd zoned out, he realises, let the tap continue to run long after traces of blood had washed down the drain. He stirs, now, turns it off.

"Raziel," he acknowledges, dips his head.

A drawer is opened, gloves retrieved. He doesn't wince as he pulls them on, latex snapping against his wrist.

His lips purse instinctively at the wording, fall behind — but after a beat, the tension is gone. He knows his place. The back of his neck prickles beneath a gaze he feels, rather than sees, the dominating presence of Raphael Pryde.

"All right," Gavin agrees. "Start by setting up the vials for me while I check the subjects."

He doesn't dare call them Pokémon, not here. Nor does he caution Raziel to be careful with the glass vials — the kid's been around the lab enough to know.
close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 9, 2021 23:43:45 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

If there is any tension there Raziel doesn’t sense it, picking up on things like that is to advance for him now. Who knows maybe when he’s older reading people would be simpler until then he just nods, “”Yes sir!” and with that he is off to get what the other wants, grabbing a few as well as spare labels, ”Think you can hold this?” he questions the Espurr on his head as he left the other one on the table. Though he doesn’t react much to it. Okay that was a no, he’ll find them a use some how. With that he comes back toward the table making sure to one of the seats there as most of the tables sat higher than the standard so it was a bit more inconvenient to work with it. [break][break]

”Do you want the Pokémon’s names on them? We’re you going to draw blood? I can get you something for that too if you need” he’s trying to be helpful but admittedly he doesn’t really know what the other does with the subjects. His work help has never been so direct before so he wants to show that he can be of more use.

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.razzboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 14:37:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Eager though Raziel is to help, Gavin's feelings toward the youth are complex as the formulas written in his notes. Sorrow for a child forced to grow up beneath Rocket's thumb mingles with something not unlike jealousy, the father's eyes finding them from across the room.

is the closest Gavin comes to that sort of protection, and gratitude is marred by the pain in tender ribs.

He doesn't take it out on Raziel. He is docile, lip quirking at the barrage of questions.

"That would be good, yes. I am, but I've got it." A kit is retrieved from the same place where he'd found the gloves, and Gavin's fingers flutter over the various syringes before selecting the correct size. He steps over to a cage along the wall and peers at the subject that cowers within. "We'll start with Ratatta. You know how to spell that?"

He looks over his shoulder, tilts his head.

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 15:04:52 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

”Of course I can I’m not a kid,” Raziel tries to protest despite the fact that he couldn’t even be called a teenager just yet. But he wants to seem responsible. He knows he is only there because of his father and that is why most there tolerate him. He might suffer from some performance issues but he could do it. ”R-a-t-a-t-t-a,” he spells out softly as he writes because contrary to his words just now like most children his thoughts were more in the open than silent. [break][break]

He tries not to look at the pokemon in their cages but it does remind him of the fate that would happen to his Espurr, Red eyes look back toward his dad to be sure he isn’t too close, ”Umm Dr. Merlino do you mind if I ask you something that’s not related to this project?” he whispers that question out loud.

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 16:51:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There is a brief, genuine flash of the man beneath the layers of mask: Gavin scoffs at Raziel's protest, mouth turning up at the corners.

As quick as it had appeared, the smile — the humour is gone.

"That's right," he confirms. "You're a kid, but you're a smart one."

Somewhere in his chest, there is sorrow for the words he never got to hear from the ones he admired most. His teachers had praised him, classmates envied him, but Gavin's parents had always demanded more.

That Raziel whispers is not lost on him; these are words meant for him alone. So as not to draw suspicion, he pulls the Ratatta from its cage. He holds its head in such a way that it cannot bite him, readies the syringe with his other hand.

"Go ahead."
close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 17:19:52 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

There is a small pout when the doctor still calls him a kid. But it seemed to be forgotten 2 seconds later when he was called smart making the boy perk up with some glee. Raziel is even sure he sees a hint of a smile there before it goes away. This was why Merlino was a good pick for his question, but he knows better to call it out. This was the work place, his father always told him, no time for play. There is some pity in his eye at the treatment of the Ratratta but that is also put down by the way his parents always spoke of pokemon as objects more than anything else. So he steels himself, ”I can help you hold that if you want,” he offers not forgetting the reason why he was here was more to help the other rather than pick his brain. [break][break]

”So the Espurrs I have just hatched,” he begins quietly, he would hold the Ratana if the doctor took up his offer about holding it. ”Da- ah Sir,” Raziel is quick to catch himself there, as his father expected pure professionalism in the work place and there was no place for ‘dad.’ ”says he’ll make them test subjects though if I don’t find a use for them outside battle, but I don’t know what to do,” his mind is too used to the idea that pokemon were just that: tools of battle. And he was surrounded by an organization that shared that same ideology, unlike most he didn’t have experience in the world outside Team Rocket so other uses don’t come to mind as easily.

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 23:23:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though kept sedated and docile, the Rattata squirms against Gavin's hold as if in understanding of what is to come. The scientist pauses, seemingly weighing Raziel's offer, then nods. "Hold its back legs, so I can keep it steady."

It's a process he's done many times before without assistance, but the extra pair of hands make it quicker to subdue the subject and draw blood.

Whatever he expects of Raziel's question, it's not this.

He doesn't answer for a long moment. Attachment, in their line of work, is dangerous. The Zubat given to him by has since evolved into a Golbat, but the trust required for its final evolution had yet to be established.

"All Pokémon have their niche," he says at last. The squirming rat is deposited unceremoniously back into its cage, where it scampers back against the wall and lets out a frightened squeal. Gavin doesn't flinch. "Espurr are Psychic-types, right?"

It's been a while since his Academy days.
close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 11, 2021 0:10:49 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

Raziel doesn't flinch much having to hold the rat pokemon down. If there was any other hint that this child was raised rocket this would definitely be one of it's biggest clues. While he does think it sucks they have to do it, there is always the way his father's past words always rung. Its fine they're tools.[break][break]

Sure it might make his question and worry of the Espurr seem out of place but when him and his sister hatched it seemed to trigger something in him. Maybe because they were twins and it made him think of him and his brother. The assistant keeps silent as the doctor does his work. He can't get in the way of that. The only reason he was asking now was because he didn't think it would interfere. He perks up as Gavin ask, for him meaning he was showing interest. [break][break]

"Yes! They're suppose to have a lot of power behind their ears," he mentions as he points to his own before he reaches out for a spare test tube. "Psychics are suppose to be really smart right? Great thinkers? But he seems kinda like a dullard," as he says this he brings the test tube toward the male Espurr who looks at it, looks to Razz, then back at the tube before it reaches for it and puts it in his mouth like a chew toy. "But I guess I shouldn't expect much since they're only two days old, but I only have a week to show sir something"

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 11, 2021 16:12:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Their ears?" He squints at one. "Interesting."

With steady, practiced hands, Gavin organizes the blood sample and double-checks the label for readability before nodding to himself and storing it properly. After they'd taken the blood from the required subjects, he'd set to work on analyzing the samples.

For now, he dictates to Raziel. "Take notes: Subject R0031 displayed visible signs of lethargy — l-e-t-h-a-r-g-y — but responded to stimuli." He spells out the word, feigns double-checking the lab equipment to buy time for Raziel's question.

He doesn't flinch at the thought of week-old Pokémon being used as fodder. His Zubat had been expected to adapt or perish.

"Psychic-types are known for their intelligence, but they've got to learn things just like we do." Gavin adjusts a microscope, peers into its lens with a frown. He catches sight of the Espurr with the vial in its mouth and quashes the thought that it's kind of cute. "They can't talk like we can, but they've got paws like we've got hands. You could teach it to communicate."

He pulls his attention away from the microscope, turns to Raziel and signs something slowly with his hands.

"Like this. It's called sign language. I learned it in school."

close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 11, 2021 16:42:59 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

Raziel would happily keep helping the other grab his samples so the Doctor could do minimal work. Grab the syringes, write down the names, hold down the pokemon no matter the size, all so the other wouldn’t have to work as hard. As he recognizes the sight of someone in pain, so if he could relive some of that pressure it would be best. Though part of him wants to pout a bit when the other spells out the word for him. He could’ve gotten that... maybe. His writing his fast yet neat, clearly having practiced often considering all the note taking he took from his father and many others since he first started as an assistant. [break][break]

He listens intently with a smile on his face at the thought of teaching his pokemon how to communicate, “Oh that sounds cool! I know a little but not much like uhh...” he has to pause and think for a moment but he does sign a -thank you- as he pulls his hand away from his chin, and he also starts a bit with his name -Raz- there is a pause with his hands as he tries to think, “And some small things, but that’s it,” he’s not going to mention he can’t recall the other letters of his name and that was why he shortened it. [break][break]

”But is a week enough to learn it? Do you think sir will be impressed?” Would it be useful? Is a question he wants to ask but he doesn’t want to question the other about it. For now he’ll put in that leap of faith and say it is.

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 20:20:01 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There's a spark of something like excitement in Gavin's eyes when Raziel proves that he, too, knows the basics of sign language.

"My name's Gavin," he says, because Raziel has always known him as 'Dr. Merlino' — slowly, he finger spells it. "It looks like you've got a good start. I bet you'd pick it up in no time."

As to the Espurr, he couldn't say. Gavin's Lucario had picked up some of the signs he'd learned seemingly out of curiosity alone, but he'd never sat down and tried to teach the canine proper use of them. But Raziel's concern for them is touching.

"I think if you show Dr. Pryde that there's promise, maybe he'll extend the trial period." Raphael Pryde frightened Gavin as all those who held power over him did, but so too had the scientist shown genuine interest in his work. A furtive glance is shot toward the other, and in a near-whisper, "I can help, if you'd like."

He winks, almost conspiratorial.
close tab

played by

King

he/him
May 24
Sootopolis City
Uninterested
Ranger
Slateport Ranger Captain
5'10 height
5'10 height
awards
3,204 posts
part of
TAG WITH @razz
Razz Kingsman
burden
POSTED ON May 12, 2021 22:08:02 GMT
Razz Kingsman Avatar
[nospaces]

OH! So that was 'I' Raziel couldn't help but think as Gavin spells his name. He nods at the name, "Okay Gavin," he repeats to ensure he remembers. "but sir says that first names aren't for the workplace unless you need to like with him and me since we share the same surname so I think it'll be better if I keep to Dr. Merlino," it probably wasn't the best example as his father did have the title of 'doctor' so technically one was Dr Pryde while the boy was just Pryde. But it was all this child could think of. [break][break]

There is a bit of a nervous smile at the mention of his father though. "Umm maybe? I don't know... sometimes it feels like he's harsher on my stuff the others," he admits to though he seems to catch what he says and gets nervous about it, "D-don't tell him I said that please," there is a pleading look in his eyes as its clear the boy didn't want his father upset with him. Raziel idolized his father and he doesn't like displeasing him. [break][break]

Though at the mention of helping him in his stool Raziel is visibly bouncing with a bit of joy at the other's offer. "Yeah I'd like that a lot thank you," he whispers back noting the way Gavin looked toward his father. [break][break]

"The two of you should be working not whispering like school children"
[break]

Raphael's voice rings stern noting the way his child was bouncing in his seat. Something he knows he wouldn't be doing if they were properly working. "Right! Sorry sir!" he tells his father before looking toward Gavin, "So what do we need to do next?"

[break][break]

+ [break]
+ Social [break]

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,835 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
burden
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 6:58:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
His lip twitches as Raziel responds more serious than he expects; he's been forced to grow up too fast, Gavin thinks.

"Of course."

It's hard to accept that Dr. Pryde was anything but doting on his son, however. Gavin's view of their relationship was skewed against his own father's cruel indifference, and Raphael seemed downright adoring in comparison to the elder Quinn.

He still shakes his head, soft. "I won't tell."

There's a muted warmth in his chest, a dangerous sense of camaraderie and something akin to affection when he witnesses Raziel's barely contained excitement. It's a reminder that he's still a kid, regardless of the environment Rocket's raised him in. A sharper reminder comes in the voice of Raphael Pryde as it carries easily through the quiet of the labs, and Gavin immediately sobers.

The words come reflexive, instinctive. "Yes, sir."

They return to their work, and Gavin makes a conscious effort to focus.