Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 17:24:33 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar

MAUVILLE CITY, HNN BROADCASTING STUDIO

After finalizing their plans and signing the necessary paperwork, a date had been scheduled for the agreed upon interview with only a few short weeks after their encounter at Slateport's Contest Hall.

Although Fernando had seemed less-than enthusiastic about the proposal, Barnaby was actually quite excited at the prospect. He prepared for the show accordingly.

His face was airbrushed and flawless, expertly primed and enhanced with foundation and blush. Not over-the-top, but enough to accentuate all his fine features. He wore his signature checkered coat and jade earrings, while his hands were embellished with rings of several styles and metals.

He looked good, he felt good. It was time to begin.

The studio lights panned down onto and his guest for the day, illuminating the men in a flattering glow. The pair sat at a small angle from one another on tasteful white furniture, Fernando on the modern-style couch and Barnaby on the cushioned chair beside him.

The film crew called out a warning as the ON AIR sign was flipped on. A few seconds later, Barnaby's intro music - a whimsical number meant to grab the audience’s attention - played overhead, announcing the beginning of the show. The tune crescendoed and then faded with exact timing, allowing for the beaming journalist to introduce himself.

"Welcome to 'The Bee's Knees' with me, your host, Barnaby Finch!"

Applause from the crowd filled the studio space. Someone even wolf whistled, which pierced through the din of clapping hands. The journalist couldn't help but smile harder, relishing in the adoration from his fans.

"Joining us today is , CEO of Silph Co., Slateport City's resident Gym Leader, and Hoenn Councilman." Barnaby informed the audience with a flourish as their applause died down, before turning to the man seated beside him.

"Fernando, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to come talk with us."
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 18:21:57 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

WITH A WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING

“THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.”

and just like that, he turns ‘it’ on.

lights, camera, action. rows upon rows of eyes descend upon them. they stare with high expectations, hungry for a performance they’ve come to expect from hoenn’s hottest talk show host.

for someone of his standing, a tenure in both front facing business, as well as hoenn’s politics, regressing into a public persona is as easy as wearing a mask. the man who was sparse more than one worded replies and grimaces at their speed date is gone. tucked beneath a layer of makeup and practiced lines.

under the spotlight, fernando silph is born anew. the public image he curated during his campaign for the council surfaces once more: someone who’s sharp but not without a tenderness to do good.

the smile seems natural, authentic.

not because it is. not because he cares. but because he means it. means to lie and deceive. to convince the world to fall for him, like one giant game waiting for him to pull out his ace.

believe it or not, mr. finch, but i am more likely to watch your show than i am to get breakfast in the morning.

a small chuckle, inwardly, and then eyes at the camera before floating back to their host.

i’ve always wanted a chance to be on but i never expected a whole guest appearance.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2022 15:42:18 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Interesting. A glimpse beyond the veil, it seemed. Or, perhaps a front-seat show to one of the many masks that wore, depending on the audience. The enthusiastic councilman currently sitting across from Barnaby was certainly at odds with the tepid businessman of a few weeks ago, after all.

Barnaby appreciated the change, the chameleon-like adjustment. Unbeknownst to Fernando, the journalist could commiserate in the need for such an act. He played a similar role on a daily basis.

"Really? That is such a delight to hear!" Inwardly, Barnaby was heavily skeptical of Fernando's supposed interest, but didn't let this show on his pristine face.

"Are you kidding? You're a hot commodity, Mr. Self-Made CEO! You must be one of the youngest in the company's history, yes?" His voice was animated, flattering, expressive in a way that was both instigative and familiar all at once.

"Trust me, my audience has been dying to have you on." Barnaby turned to the crowd, a devilish smile on his lips. "Isn't that right?!"

Screams of affirmation - mostly feminine in tone - rang out throughout the studio. They died down quickly enough, just as Barnaby turned back to face his guest.

"Now, we'd love to hear what you've been up to lately. How's life? How's business?"
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2022 21:48:51 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

THAT HITS A SORE SPOT. not in the emotional sense—fernando has long laid his parent’s remains to rest. but to expand upon that topic defers from his main intention.

he has an agenda to broadcast. it's just a matter of getting there naturally.

haha, i don’t know about that.

fernando tilts his head to point back at barnaby as they enter their exchange. his reactions, while more expressive than usual, are still muted compared to societal standards.

but i’m sure that i’m older than .

he crosses his legs, hands clasped into his lap.

he never understands what i mean when i talk about knee pain.

another chuckle. soft, not too entrenched into his own joke, but a good cue for the audience to chime in.

when the crowd cheers, fernando waves to them as a whole. he can’t blush on command but the way something resembling a dimple starts to form on the right side of his mouth.

a secret technique that’s between sucking his cheek in and biting the inside of his mouth.

well, lately mr. finch, everything has been quite stable in the business world.” he bows his head again, smile adjusted. “which i’m sure isn’t an interesting story for everyone here but that bodes well for our future.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2022 19:01:07 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
At the mention of and Fernando's subsequent joke, Barnaby, along with his audience, chuckled obligatorily. The journalist showed off a glinting smile as he laughed, although inwardly he was already preparing to transition to their next topic of discussion.

"I'm glad to hear it. Good news is great news, given the tumult of the last several years."

Barnaby shifted in his seat, signaling a departure from their initial pleasantries.

"The Megalopolan invasion. Rocket's occupation of Sootopolis. The Star Soirée fiasco. Not to mention the meteoroid heading our way... to name a few." A pregnant pause followed, allowing the tragedies the gravity they deserved.

“Most of us in Hoenn only receive a civilian’s glimpse into such events." His eyes were steady on , watchful for the man's response to his next inquiry. "But as a Councilman and member of the A.Q.U.A Initiative, I would be curious what your unique perspective is on them.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2022 7:17:03 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

THE MENTION OF RECENT EVENTS does not come as a surprise. it would be foolish not the cycle through them when presented with such a quest. deep down, fernando is thankful that it is barnaby that has to transition the topic, sparing him the tonal structure that follows.

hook. link. speaker.

a deep inhale answers his first question, accompanied with the tilt of his head that puts the camera on between their gaze. the floor is his and he accepts it willingly, unfazed.

now that, mr. finch, is a doozy of a question.

he hands remain in his lap, calm and collected. his answer is the same as it’s always been: above and beyond.

i suppose we should start from the top. last august, during the hoenn star tournament, hoenn hosted a SCIENCE FAIR that invited participants from across the world. it was there that silph co. published a scientific entry we call the HOLLOWED EARTH THEORY.

he nods along but gives a moment’s breath for everyone to catch their own.

based on my experiences, i believe it to be correct.

which leaves barnaby ample room to ask the obvious question.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2022 19:11:49 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Like most shows of this nature, Barnaby had a curated agenda. Questions were asked, boxes were ticked off in his mind. It was a carefully constructed progression primed for maximum entertainment.

He chose his next words with this in mind. Despite their previous discussion, where insisted that he didn’t need anyone painting him in a certain light, Barnaby did so anyway. Mainly because it benefited him, too, and because it was entertaining to watch unfold.

So Silph Co. is expanding into scientific research, then? I’m aware of their success in e-commerce and cloud computing, but I had no idea they were publishing in scientific journals. Very impressive!

And disconcerting. It seemed more and more that Silph Co. had interests in many spheres of the economy and beyond, with their company continuing to expand. Should a business be allowed so much reach? How much influence was too much in the private sector?

That was an interview for another day, however. For now, Barnaby took the bait and asked the obvious question that Fernando had laid out for him.

For laymen like me in the room, would you mind explaining this Hollowed Earth Theory?

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Apr 25, 2022 5:54:35 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

“EXPANDING?”

the humble laughter that follows highlights the absurdity of such a statement. the general public may not understand silph co.’s dichotomy but to laud it as an obvious fact pincushions the narrative he can smell brewing well ahead of time. it’s the same drabble that had forced him to wait until after GMH was done chewing on DEVON CORP to pick up the scraps.

the goods that silph co. has built its brand on started as questions in a lab. ha ha, i suppose sometimes we forget that with how common place they are. very few people wonder about how x attack or x defense is made or how it works.

it’s not a perfect comparison and there’s a few holes in his argument that can be punched through with vigorous debate. but to dissect his statement on the air goes against format of the program. this is a good morning show meant to glaze through topics at the surface. to truly dent fernando would require the nuance of prime time television. a sit down session that’s prepared well ahead of time.

but yes! the HOLLOWED EARTH THEORY—

fernando’s hands come unlatched, moving with purpose as instruments to emphasize his explanation. they carry along with his words, creating an image, engaged and interactive.

to simplify it: many pokemon have an instinct to migrate. sometimes it seasonal in accordance to the weather. other times it’s based off their mating patterns.

fernando extends his hand, palm flat and upward, as a trail of MISTY TERRAIN surfaces from his sleeve. it expands, slowly shaping into a sphere to represent the world at large.

we believe that hoenn is where life began. although humans and pokemon have spread throughout the world, when disaster strikes, it is imperative that these pokemon migrate back to their source of origin.

and it is on that note that the sphere starts to transform into the shape of tapu fini.

which is why avatars have surfaced, why legendary pokemon associated with other regions are showing up, and why hoenn has become ground zero for events unheard of.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON May 1, 2022 18:34:52 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
This was a good morning talk show, created with the intention of giving wholesome (for the most part) entertainment and easily digestible news to the masses. So, in that vein, Barnaby remained quietly concentrated on Fernando as he downplayed Silph Co.'s broadening scope.

His words left more questions than answers, however. After all, there were marked differences between technological research conducted in a lab with product production in mind and attempting to establish groundbreaking theories with tenuous ties to the business at best.

Quite the humanitarian effort coming from one of the world's largest corporations. However, perhaps the development of this theory was a natural consequence of their usual business practices. Who knows? All of these thoughts fluttered inside the journalist's mind as Fernando continued his explanation, bringing out quite the impressive show-stopper to emphasize his points.

Barnaby hadn't yet witnessed an Avatar's powers firsthand. He watched, enthralled along with his audience, as tendrils of pink smoke-like energy snaked from the cuff of Fernando's sleeve. Gasps of surprise and awe filtered down from the tiered benches behind the cameras.

"Amazing!" Both the reasoning behind the councilman's proposed theory and his superhuman abilities.

"So there's something about Hoenn that's causing all of this hullabaloo? You say that this is where life began... but why would that cause all of this?" He gestured to the pinkish specter of TAPU FINI.

There was always something that instigated migrations, as Fernando had mentioned. What was the instigator here?

"For example, do you think this impending meteoroid announced by the League is drawn to Hoenn specifically?" And not just another random, unfortunate event on top of so many others the region was currently facing?

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON May 9, 2022 8:24:29 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

“WE DON’T KNOW,” is the simple and safe answer. and for all his bravado and confidence, there is nothing fernando prefers more than taking the ‘safe’ route.

there is still a lot we do not know about the magnificent world of pokemon.” the MISTY TERRAIN recoils back into his sleeves and the presentation goes back to just words.

for instance, some pokemon of the same species exhibit different behaviors. for whatever reason, my kecleon loves to sit in a corner and just stare at the wall.

fernando taps one of the pokeballs on his belt and the very same kecleon appears once the lights die down. it sits on his lap, blinking, as it adjusts to the strange change of scenery. after a moment passes, it starts to squirm, moving to shove its head into the nook between fernando’s legs and deeper into the cushion.

but i love him all the same.

cue a small, measured laugh with a a gentle stroke of the pokemon’s backside.

as for the meteoroid, that’s something best left to mossdeep space center. i couldn’t think of a reason it would be drawn to a single place but i’m no astronomer.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON May 17, 2022 2:46:55 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
We don't know wasn't an answer that Barnaby particularly liked hearing, and it begged the question of whether or not Fernando was being entirely truthful. Were there things he'd rather keep the public from knowing?

If so, it didn't show in the way he shifted the subject.

A collective 'aaaaawww' spilled from the audience just beyond the cameras, complementing Fernando's measured laugh and pat to the KECLEON's back.

"Completely fair. I'm certainly no astronomer myself!" The same could be said for his viewers, who required simplification of these more technical topics. Perhaps now would be an optimal time to switch to another line of questioning.

"I'm sure once our League scientists have an explanation they'll be more than happy to share. This is our collective wellbeing, after all, and people hate being left in the dark." Waiting for the end of days, their impending and inevitable doom. Quite a dreary subject.

"Speaking of the League... you have quite the illustrious civic record, Mr. Silph. Would you mind telling us what motivated you to get into politics?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON May 23, 2022 8:40:52 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

“INDEED.”

if barnaby is willing to sculpt a narrative for him then who is he to refuse? the implication may point in one direction but without an explicit statement, interpretation is left to the eye of the beholder.

which is why fernando states it outright. spins the wheels in his favor with a decisive statement to squash out any unspoken prodding.

science takes more than just discovery. it takes patience and perseverance. the moment we stick to a conclusion we must test it and it must always hold true. should it fail, it is back to the whiteboard, so to speak.

a sage nod ends that topic just in time for a more personal take.

well, mister finch, what would you prefer to hear? the short and tame version or the long and not so cheery truth?

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 1:47:56 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
While Barnaby more or less agreed with Fernando's take on scientific discovery, he couldn't help but shake the feeling that his guest knew more than he let on. Still, that line of questioning was over for now, yielding to a choice of how to tell the Councilman's political origins.

At the Fernando's query, Barnaby's eyebrows arched in mild surprise. He sat a little straighter in his seat, his lips slid into a wicked grin. What an interesting way to phrase his question.

Truly, the journalist wanted Fernando to recount both versions so that they could be compared and scrutinized, but knew that was both unreasonable and a drain on their dwindling time together. So, he went with what sounded like the more compelling option.

"Please," A waved hand bid him to continue. "The stage is yours."

Even the audience sat quietly in expectant silence.

"I'm sure we'd all appreciate hearing the candid truth. Give us every excruciating detail."
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2022 0:26:15 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SHEPHERD'S CRUX

“VERY WELL THEN.”

fernando turns to what he presumes to be the main camera. truthfully, he has no idea which one serves as their primary but he takes an educated guess based off their positioning. the one that best captures both of them is his main suspect.

some of what i am about to discuss may be graphic and inappropriate for an underage audience. so, parents, please take this time to switch the channel or move your children at your discretion.

fernando takes a moment to rest. gives the audience the chance to do their due diligence before delving into this past.

to be quite honest, i never intended to dabble in politics. in fact, i never wanted to be the head of silph co.

he paints a smile so wistful it sells a cocktail of regret and missed connections.

when i was young, i went off on my own. lived in hoenn for several years, actually. the same journey many trainers undergo as they seek out their fortune and try to find out who they really are.

which is a story rarely told. from all accounts and documentation, it holds true. but the underlying details go unmentioned.

like person who turned fernando into who he is today.

the only one who could tame him. completely and wholly.

during this time, team rocket rose to power. in the war against kanto, they killed my parents. killed people precious to me, people from my childhood, people who worked for silph co., and anyone that did not conform to their demands.

he takes a deep breath, eyebrows knotted, eyes narrowed as he recounts the experience. by now, nothing fazes him, but the performance is both necessary and understandable.

so i came back to help those i could. silph co. relocated our main branch to hoenn and i tried to acclimate those affected by kanto the best i could.

which leads to the start of his story in hoenn.

so when i saw the same thing happen in hoenn, i put my best foot forward to stop kanto from happening again. when team rocket invaded slateport, and massacred so many of hoenn’s people, i couldn’t take it any more. and that is when i made a bid for councilman.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
SHEPHERD'S CRUX [S]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 2:37:26 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
As Fernando regaled the audience with talk of his origin story, Barnaby made sure to hit all the appropriate social cues: a sympathetic look here, a concerned frown there. Nods of encouragement and gestures of agreement, when needed. A perfect caricature of the enthralled host.

Barnaby's performance was so honed and convincing, in fact, that he'd idly thought about dabbling in acting as an extension of his career. Perhaps it was something would excel at, too, given the effect he had on the audience before him.

He'd certainly win over a few hearts on the big screen with that wistful smile of his.

"Thank you for being so raw and open with us today, Mr. Silph." Barnaby stated once it was obvious his guest had concluded with his story. "I'm sure most would agree that Hoenn is lucky to have you as one of it's leaders."

Glossing over Fernando's mention of ROCKET, Barnaby shifted slightly in his seat and leaned forward just a bit before continuing.

"You said you didn't originally plan on getting into politics, but felt called to it." A comfortable pause preceded his next two questions.

"How do you like the role? Do you feel you've achieved what you set out to do by taking it on?"