Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2022 1:34:16 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar

Slateport City, Oceanic Museum

What a serendipitous occasion this was. After having bumped into a childhood friend by coincidence earlier in the week, plans had been made to set time aside and catch up. Barnaby had suggested they meet at the Oceanic Museum - a favorite local attraction of his - and the rest was history.

Currently, he sat in a corner booth inside the aquarium's small café, sipping idly on a small hot latte. A wall of glass stood directly behind him, showing off an assortment of smaller fish and aquatic life while also casting a faintly blue glow around him. It was cozy, it was atmospheric, it was neutral. The perfect space to rekindle old relationships.

The tinkle of a bell alerted Barnaby to someone new entering the shop. He looked up and, upon seeing , waved her over with a beaming grin across his lips.

In the moments between her entrance and arrival to their table, Barnaby quietly wondered how much she had changed in their time apart.
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
we survive only by our nature
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 17:39:55 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
running into barnaby had been one of the most pleasant surprises she’d had in a while. having been torn from kalos and what she’d expected to be her future, someone so deeply ingrained in her history was a sight for sore eyes.

after they’d happened across each other’s paths again, she’d realized later that her childhood friend had always visited with his father, who’d done business with her own, from what she could remember. it was business she had come to know, as she'd gotten older, as criminal. was it by pure coincidence that now barnaby was here as well? had family come with him?

she beamed back at him similarly. such things had never mattered before. the business between their families was not for her knowledge. 

she’d missed her friend.

after ordering a cappuccino, she made her way over. her tailored pants, blouse and jacket were polished-looking, and well-suited for office, and coffee, and even fish-seeing. it was not anything like the frilly dresses she'd been fitted with in her youth.

”barnaby,” she smiled. when she'd reached the table, instead of sitting, she reached for him, as though urging him to rise for la bise. ”it’s so nice to see you again.”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2022 2:14:49 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
As she bridged the distance between them, thoughts of the past came rising up like a wellspring in his mind. Images of a young blonde girl and a dark-haired boy, entertaining one another at the most boring of functions. Finding solace and kinship in their shared predicament.

Given their age difference, it had been a brotherly role that he'd taken on. Chasing after her in her frilly little skirts, keeping her out of trouble as their fathers worked.

They had both grown from their youthful visages, of course; him into an accomplished journalist (blonde now, distinctly different from his childhood), and her into a professional woman. Even as she reached for him, he couldn't help but admire how mature she appeared now. There was a bittersweetness to this realization.

"Iseult. Wonderful to see you, ma copine."

He reached for her, too, and leaned in with a natural familiarity, as if no time had passed between them. A comfortable faire la bise was exchanged with his friend, after which Barnaby remained standing.

"Shall we?" He asked, gesturing to the aquarium entrance. "We can catch up and admire the exhibits as we walk."

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2022 3:01:53 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
his blonde hair was indeed a shock, even the second time seeing it. barnaby had always been a particularly beautiful person. while his look had been switched up, and he had grown older, this had not changed.

she pulled back again from him, smile warm and bright.

”sounds lovely. let’s go, then.”

she turned, leading the way out of the delicious-smelling cafe and into the cool air of the aquarium. smells of chemicals and salt, metal—but oddly pleasant in a nostalgic way.

”you know, this place reminds me of an aquarium my father took me to in lumiose city when i was younger. i can't recall the name, but i have the most distinct memory of a beautiful milotic swimming right over my head.”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON May 10, 2022 2:29:42 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
The pair passed through the aquarium entrance together and into an entirely different world. Fluorescent lighting was replaced with the blue gleam of treated water. The smell of coffee beans gave way to hints of earth and ammonia.

"Aquarium Tropical, perhaps? That was always a favorite of mine growing up."

As they walked, Barnaby casually sipped his latte and took in the beautifully curated exhibits. The aquarium started off with a grand affair, having guests stroll through a large glass tunnel. Here they were given an incredible view of a micro-ecosystem, with an array of species swimming to the left, the right, and even overhead.

It would likely seem very familiar to Iseult, given her recollection.

"Here, let's see if we can find a Milotic in this tank." Barnaby suggested, pausing where there was an opening in the crowd beside the glass.

"So tell me... what spurred on this emigration of yours? Kalos not exciting enough for you?" He joked, but surely she could connect the dots given Hoenn's tumultuous events of the last few years.

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2022 2:02:52 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
aquarium tropical. yes, that sounds right,” she agreed. ”i’ll have to go next time i visit home.”

the aquarium was magical. her enchanted gaze wandered between swaying seaweed and schools of fish, looking for beautiful, easily recognizable scales. the babineaux family was famed for its army of fire-types, and iseult had grown to have a great fondness of them. she still found herself fascinated by the beauty of water-types—especially milotic.

”my father brought me here. he told me were fleeing danger.” it was a detail that hadn’t been shared with the public. her father was well-known to many rockets. trouble had erupted for him in galar. ”he didn’t specify what the danger was. he says he doesn’t like to trouble me with such details. i should focus on my education.”

she sighed.

”all the issues that plague this region have taken over my thoughts. i will stay here for the foreseeable future, doing what i can to aid—but my heart remains in kalos.” 

a moment later, the silhouette of a massive serpentine form sparkled through the distant murk.

”oh, i think that’s a milotic there!”

she pointed, stopping to watch.

”and you, barnaby? what brought you to hoenn, with all its troubles?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2022 3:43:42 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Danger?" He echoed quietly, contemplatively, sounding more curious than concerned. The journalist in him wanted to know more, to probe her further, but their ties to friendship held him back. Besides, if Monsieur Babineaux's troubles were ROCKET-adjacent, then it was likely Barnaby's own father was privy to said danger.

He made a mental note to look into it, if only out of worry for .

"He's right, of course. You're doing what's within your power." Cobalt eyes shifted from the glass to the woman beside him, holding her pale gaze with firm conviction. "Staying safe and focusing on yourself for now."

A FEEBAS swimming close to them refocused his attention on the tank.

"But if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know." It wasn't a hollow offer, either. There was enough danger in their new region; he would hate for her to have to worry about familial strife on top of that.

She sighed, to which Barnaby gave a sympathetic look, before steering their conversation to talk of Hoenn and his reason for traveling so far away from their home.

By this point the MILOTIC had been expertly spotted. It's distinctive multi-colored scales and unique antennae were impossible to miss. He marveled at the sight just as Iseult did, craning his head upward as it swam above them over the tunnel.

Once it passed Barnaby responded to her question.

"I work for HNN now, which has connections to my father's company back in Kalos. My superiors there necessitated the move. Follow the news, they reasoned."

His next statement was a play at gallows humor, spoken in a conversational tone. "And what's more newsworthy than the end of the world?"

The incoming meteoroid, the sporadic space-time distortions with their hyper-aggressive Pokémon, war with humanoids of another dimension.

It was all rather apocalyptic.
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 6:31:05 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
it was danger she couldn’t talk about, mostly because she didn’t know. it was vague, as always. just danger. some looming risk of staying in kalos which she had accepted she might never be privy to the identity of. being kept blissfully unaware did not feel powerful, but she kept a gentle smile anyways.

”yes, i suppose so.”

as far as what he could do to help, she was at a loss. how could she suggest anything when she hadn’t a clue what the issue was? unless he meant her state here in hoenn.

”oh, i’m fine, barnaby. no need to worry.” she brought the hot cup in her hand to her lips. “i will let you know if something comes up, though.”

her eyes followed the beautiful milotic as it swam overhead, and she took a sip of her cappuccino. what a perfect afternoon.

the news of his employment with hnn made her look over with a smile. had she just not been paying enough attention? had it been so long that she hadn’t recognized him in those passing moments, on tvs in airports and at the offices? she read the news, rather than watched it.

”that’s very true. how exciting—and dangerous.” she paused. ”tell me about the stories you’ve covered. what’s been most exciting?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 1:42:57 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Truth be told, most of the topics that Barnaby covered were fairly mundane, especially those highlighted on his morning talk show. Feel-good stories, viral trends, celebrity guests, etc.

He'd also interviewed the likes of and , which had been interesting in their own way, but not the kind of exciting that was likely talking about.

"I've ventured into the space-time distortions several times now, trying to document what I find." It was difficult work; most of the footage he'd managed to get had come out grainy and staticky.

"They're terrifying places. There's an oppressive energy about them, makes it hard to move." He paused, taking a small sip of his latte. "The Pokémon that pop up there... are strong beyond belief. And frightfully aggressive."

With the MILOTIC successfully spotted, Barnaby figured it was a good time to head further into the aquarium and explore the other exhibits. Gesturing for her to follow, he continued with what he was saying.

"New species and variants were even discovered within the distortions, too. I have a few myself, actually, that transformed when we were inside."

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2022 6:50:18 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
”oh? that does sound exciting.” terrifying. dangerous. journalism.

iseult had not experienced the spacetime distortions for herself, and she preferred to keep it that way. while it undoubtedly made for great stories, she would be happy when hoenn’s endless phenomena ceased and things went back to normal—whatever that meant for the region.

as for the pokémon that were coming out of the distortions, iseult had taken on the opinion of her father. willfully bringing such newly discovered species and variants, transformed or found, into hoenn and out of their natural habitat was irresponsible, especially when so many other things were already happening out of their control in the region.

frightfully aggressive? why not leave it alone?

”i’ve heard about the new species, though i haven’t been in a distortion myself. they are certainly impressive, from what i’ve heard.”

she sipped, following him into the next enchanting room, aglow with blue reflections from the numerous tanks in the dark.

”which pokémon of yours transformed?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 23:19:37 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Several, although from what I can tell there’s no rhyme or reason why these particular Pokémon transformed and not others. I suppose that’s for the scientists to determine.

It was not a natural occurrence, after all. These types of Pokémon didn't belong, not just in Hoenn, but in this time or place. The why of something like that was beyond Barnaby's scope. It explained his appreciation for the accruement of knowledge and why he endeavored to add to it in his own way. If they were to survive these persistent phenomena, they needed to understand them.

Stantler. Typhlosion. Decidueye. Braviary. Scyther. Sneasel. Growlithe. Electrode. All used as a means of defense while I was within the distortion.” Barnaby happened to conveniently leave out that he intentionally allowed some of these to transform. “I’ve heard there are even more than that, though.

close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 1:52:16 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
they were truly in unpredictable times. in fact, time itself was unpredictable these days. it was all nearly too much to keep up with or wrap her head around. hopefully, scientists would come up with answers for them all soon.

barnaby’s list of transformed pokémon was almost horrific. how many times had he gone into these distortions? was it really for news coverage at that point?

with a touch of suspicion, she looked over at him before taking another sip, and returning her eyes to a small lumineon glowing from a tank in the wall. she leaned down to get a better look.

”that is quite a few.”

she paused, careful in how she proceeded. it had been so long since she’d seen barnaby, and she didn’t want to offend him with her opinions on the matter.

”do you find that their personalities change at all?”

she wondered if he’d had to retrain them any.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Oct 11, 2022 1:26:50 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Although he played the part of an empathetic talk show host with a bleeding heart on his sleeve, there was little that could truly offend . He was inwardly rather calculating and profoundly curious. Phenomena like the space-time distortions drew him in like a moth to a flame... and as suspected, not necessarily for selfless reasons.

As she leaned in to enjoy a slowly swimming LUMINEON, Barnaby moved beside her, observing a CHINCHOU higher in the tank. It's softly glowing orbs cast a yellow light across his face, blinking in and out with the pulsating of the fish's antennae.

"Some. That can happen under normal evolutionary circumstances, though." He replied conversationally, his gaze now fixed on a LANTURN. "My Braviary was particularly wild, but he's mellowed out quite a bit now. He's a good boy."

Barnaby paused, letting a comfortable silence fall between them for a few seconds.

"People are worried." He finally continued, this time in a slightly more serious tone. His eyes shifted from the tank to his childhood friend as he added, "I like to think I bring a little light to the darkness. Illuminate the unknown, maybe assuage some fears in the process."

Like a LANTURN in the depths of the ocean.
close tab

played by

mad

iseult
she/her
august 27
laverre city
demisexual
league intern / student
civilian
25 height
25 height
awards
172 posts
part of
TAG WITH @iseult
iseult babineaux
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 8:52:34 GMT
iseult babineaux Avatar
”hm. that’s true.” in fact, plenty of pokémon were changed in demeanor upon evolution—even some of her own had. ”i suppose i meant to ask if they’d become more aggressive. i’ve heard about attacks in the distortions; but, if your braviary has changed for the better, then perhaps i have the wrong idea about them.” but they wouldn’t earn her trust just yet.

barnaby’s explanation of his gift to the world was poetic. he provided a beacon of hope, to face danger for the public and spotlight the mysteries that kept them up at night.

”you are certainly a light.” she smiled, watching the way his face glowed, reflecting the beams coming from lumineon’s orbs.

a sip from her cappuccino was followed by the next prompt, ”so besides exploring terrifying rifts in the fabric of our reality, what else has been happening in the life of barnaby finch?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Reminiscence
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2022 23:30:07 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He was a light, wasn't he? But not a natural one; not warm sunlight on a chilly day, not the cozy illumination of a fire in the family hearth. He was artificial, hollow, a grand spectacle of carnival bulbs and flood lights pointed at what he wanted others to see.

Still, Barnaby appreciated Iseult's agreement.

He sipped his own drink as their conversation moved naturally to its next topic. Responding with a smile in his voice, he assured, "Oh, much more mundane things."

As they continued to the next exhibit - AQUATIC MAMMALS - an open-air tank containing POPPLIO, BUIZEL, and OSHAWOTT came into view.

"Work takes up most of my time, but I still like to get away from the city and ride when I can." would know that his family held a vested interest in the equine racing community, though Barnaby himself participated in other equestrian sports like cross-country and show jumping. "A date here and there when I have the chance."

Here his eyes flicked to hers. "And you? Besides school, you're interning at a League office, no? I'd love to hear a little about that."