1,559 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
With the first rattled shout | M
POSTED ON May 2, 2022 10:35:56 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
He had listened to the song for close to a hundred times by the end of the day. In the meantime, he had plucked the strings alongside the vocals to try to get the riff down. Callan experimented with the volume, getting it all the way up to the point his ears hurt before blasting his room with an electric guitar. By the end of the night, he knew that he had to try to convince Adrian to join the band.

To Adrian, it would be an offer like any other, only perhaps this time, he'd actually accept. Callan had a hard time believing he had not signed on to any music label before, given his talent, but that wasn't going to make him stop trying. He sat in a chair at a cafe down by the Night Markets, after sending Adrian an email and agreeing to meet with him today.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
POSTED ON May 6, 2022 3:27:37 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[nospaces][googlefont=Roboto+Mono:300|Open+Sans:400,400i,700,700i|Playfair+Display:400i]
[attr=class,yveltal]
[attr=class,absolute-holder]
[attr=class,image-divider]
[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,image]

[attr=class,overlay]

[attr=class,charname accenttext]
[attr=class,accentbg]
Daylight in bad dreams...

[attr=class,bulk][break]How can anyone surprise you if you don't give them the chance?[break][break]

These are as good a set of words to live by as any. At a clandestine meeting in Slateport's lower district, Adrian attends an arranged face-to-face with what he's told is a rising star—Callan Young—to consider their proposal, "TERAVOLT".[break][break]

Navigating the seedier districts with a single earphone nestled against his ear, he's riddled with goosebumps by the sheer volume and intricacy of the composition. In an industry predominantly ruled by pop and hip hop, if you were gonna rock, you had better rock hard. It was the only you could make it.[break][break]

This guy had the credentials, it wasn't a matter of have or have not.[break][break]

Whether he wanted to roll with this stranger was the only question that remained. A matter of complementary or clashing personalities.
A bell rings as he pushes open the door, welcomed at first with the aroma of hazelnut.[break][break]

Eyes flick across the guests already seated before he spots the man he believes he's looking for, announcing himself before taking a seat opposite Callan, removing the ear bud and tucking them into a pocket haphazardly.[break][break]

"Hey, how's the brew here?" He asks, easing into his seat.

tags [break]
[attr=class,bottom-text]
WITH THE FIRST RATTLED SHOUT [M]

SLATEPORT CITY

[attr=class,yveltalcredit]
template by punki

[newclass=.yveltal .accentbg]background: #a1b6d7;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .accentborder, .yveltal .bulk i]border-color: #b9b9b9;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .accenttext, .yveltal .bulk b, .yveltal .bottom-text span a]color: #b9b9b9;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal]width: 500px; background: #242424; border: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.05); margin: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .absolute-holder]width: 500px; height: 272px; position: absolute; overflow: hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image]position: absolute; width: 100%; top: 0; height: 180px; background: url('https://img.nickpic.host/ALJbdn.png');[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image .overlay]height: inherit; background: linear-gradient(to right,rgba(60,60,60,0.2),rgba(70,70,70,0.8));[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .lyric1, .yveltal .lyric2]position: absolute; right: 43px; bottom: 29px; padding-top: 4px; padding-left: 4px; height: 20px; background: #242424; opacity:1;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .lyric1 div, .yveltal .lyric2 div]border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; font-family: 'Roboto Mono'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: 300; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; word-spacing: -4px; line-height: 12px; padding: 5px 7px; margin-right: -4px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .lyric1]bottom: 66px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image-divider]position: absolute; width: 450px; height: 1px; top: 180px; padding: 15px 25px; background: #171717; border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.07);[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image-divider div]height: inherit; opacity: 0.3;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .charname]position: absolute; bottom: 15px; left: 50px; font-family: 'Playfair Display'; font-style: italic; font-size: 28px; letter-spacing: 2px; line-height: 14px; text-transform: lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .charname div]display: inline-block; opacity: 0.5; width: 50px; height: 1px; position: relative; vertical-align: middle; margin-right: 10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bulk]margin-top: 272px; margin-left: 40px; width: 420px; font-family: 'Open Sans'; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; color: rgba(255,255,255,0.5); text-align: justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=.yveltal .bulk i b]font-weight: 400;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bottom-text]height: 50px; background: #171717; margin: -1px; margin-top: 40px; font-family: 'Open Sans'; color: rgba(255,255,255,0.5); font-size: 10px; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; line-height: 50px; padding: 0 40px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bottom-text > span]float: right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bottom-text a]font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltalcredit]width: 500px; margin: auto; text-align: center; font-family: 'Roboto Mono'; font-size: 10px; line-height: 25px; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; opacity: 0.5;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltalcredit a]font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,559 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON May 6, 2022 15:28:27 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Callan's eyes perked up when he saw someone matching the image of Adrian walk through the door. He was difficult to miss with his tattoos and temples shaved. "Hey, nice to meet you finally." As Adrian seated himself, Callan answered.

"It's not bad man, but I usually don't buy coffee so I've no clue about it." An expensive habit, and one that he didn't have the opportunity for until recently. Callan's thumbs ran circles around themselves as he looked briefly from Adrian to his earphones. "I'm Callan, thanks for taking the time to meet with me."

Now came the hard part. He hated this stuff as much as he needed to talk about it. Business was such an uncomfortable thing to get through. The reality was, Callan wanted something from Adrian, and sure, while the contract offered money, he wasn't ever sure if there were other things that Adrian was looking for. "I'm... actually pretty terrible at this stuff, I'm not much of a salesman, so I just wanna be pretty direct and see how it goes from there."

He looked Adrian in the eyes, his own shone with a vivid intensity that he himself would not normally possess. It was only music that grafted him with this fervor. "In my head, you are the next Freddie Mercury or Chris Cornell. Not in style, but impact. You have spectacular vocal talent and range, and if it's at all possible, I would like you to make a band with me." He paused. Obviously this was his intent, but he didn't want to immediately plunge Adrian into cold water.

"I realize, this is super out of the blue. So I just wanna say, if you don't want to, or if you need more time to think about it, you can take all the time you need and give me the reply. It doesn't have to be today, or this month, or even this year. I just wanted you to know that you have more than what it takes to becoming a genre-defining musician, and I'm going do my best to make sure your music gets its recognition, if that's what you want."

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
POSTED ON May 15, 2022 6:42:11 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[nospaces][googlefont=Roboto+Mono:300|Open+Sans:400,400i,700,700i|Playfair+Display:400i]
[attr=class,yveltal]
[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,image]

[attr=class,overlay]

[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,bulk][break]"Nice to meet ya, too."[break][break]

It was mostly just pleasantries, but it was nice to meet an avid rocker in Hoenn. Lately he'd been feeling like it was a dying genre, and he'd need to adapt, but maybe now he could stick to his passions. At the end of the day that's what it should be about; anyone could mouth the words, but most people would still follow the money. Maybe now he wouldn't need to compromise.[break][break]

"That's fair, I'm not big on coffee either." Adrian just wanted to know if he was drinking mud, or something pleasant. He could always just order a cocoa or something, if he felt parched. For now he'd try and focus on the reason for their little pow wow, at least until a barista came and asked him if he needed anything.[break][break]

"Don't mention it." Whether Callan realize it or not, he'd been looking for an opportunity not unlike this. Funny how these sorts of things tend to fall right into his lap, as if dictated by some worldly force; most people would just call it fate. While Callan begins to iterate on his idea for them, Adrian's intense focus is hard to distinguish from a resting scowl, but he's genuinely invested in the conversation and intrigued by their earnest nature.[break][break]

Though, he's caught off guard by Callan's praising tone.[break][break]

"Listen man, I appreciate you giving me my laurels, but dial it back a bit," not that he wasn't flattered, but it just felt wrong somehow. He couldn't be quite certain whether the compliments were authentic, or if Callan was trying to honeydick him. In either event, it was a little embarrassing, though he certainly wanted to believe what he was hearing. "Let's keep ourselves grounded..."[break][break]

Adrian's chewing on the inside of his cheek anxiously without realizing it, while Callan continues to prove his determination to work with him on this. It's encouraging behavior for a first meeting, but life often teaches you to sniff out anything that sounds too good to be true. His eyes narrow with a signature skepticism, though he has no tangible evidence to suggest they aren't.[break][break]

"I'm a fan of how you shred with those strings. I came here to let ya know I was interested, but I don't want you thinkin' we should jump straight into it. Ya hardly know me, and I hardly know you." Not that Adrian was overly concerned with finding Callan anything but likable; it was hard not to get along with him, as long as you weren't belligerent. But if Callan really got to know him, there would be some obvious red flags, assuming he wasn't cool with most of his... consumer habits. And all that was strictly non-negotiable.[break][break]

Either he was cool with it, or it was a dealbreaker.[break][break]

"But it's a real tough industry to break into, and taking a bite out of it big enough to matter..." Callan would be able to follow where he was leading, as he forced a smile and shrugged his shoulders. "I don't see it happening. But I wanna give it an honest go, and I think you do, too. So we might as well shoot our shot, right?" Adrian extended a balled fist for a bump of the knuckles.[break][break]

Tentatively, he accepted their offer.

tags [break]
[attr=class,bottom-text]

SLATEPORT CITY

template by punki

[newclass=.yveltal .accentborder, .yveltal .bulk i]border-color: #b9b9b9;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .accenttext, .yveltal .bulk b, .yveltal .bottom-text span a]color: #b9b9b9;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal]width: 500px; background: #242424; border: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.05); margin: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .absolute-holder]width: 500px; height: 272px; position: absolute; overflow: hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image]position: absolute; width: 100%; top: 0; height: 180px; background: url('https://img.nickpic.host/ALJbdn.png');[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image .overlay]height: inherit; background: linear-gradient(to right,rgba(60,60,60,0.2),rgba(70,70,70,0.8));[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .lyric1, .yveltal .lyric2]position: absolute; right: 43px; bottom: 29px; padding-top: 4px; padding-left: 4px; height: 20px; background: #242424; opacity:1;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .lyric1 div, .yveltal .lyric2 div]border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; font-family: 'Roboto Mono'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: 300; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; word-spacing: -4px; line-height: 12px; padding: 5px 7px; margin-right: -4px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .image-divider]position: absolute; width: 450px; height: 1px; top: 180px; padding: 15px 25px; background: #171717; border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.07);[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .charname]position: absolute; bottom: 15px; left: 50px; font-family: 'Playfair Display'; font-style: italic; font-size: 28px; letter-spacing: 2px; line-height: 14px; text-transform: lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .charname div]display: inline-block; opacity: 0.5; width: 50px; height: 1px; position: relative; vertical-align: middle; margin-right: 10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bulk]margin-top: 272px; margin-left: 40px; width: 420px; font-family: 'Open Sans'; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; color: rgba(255,255,255,0.5); text-align: justify;[/newclass]

[newclass=.yveltal .bottom-text]height: 50px; background: #171717; margin: -1px; margin-top: 40px; font-family: 'Open Sans'; color: rgba(255,255,255,0.5); font-size: 10px; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; line-height: 50px; padding: 0 40px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltal .bottom-text a]font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;[/newclass]
[newclass=.yveltalcredit]width: 500px; margin: auto; text-align: center; font-family: 'Roboto Mono'; font-size: 10px; line-height: 25px; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; opacity: 0.5;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,559 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON May 17, 2022 14:50:21 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
His realization about how bad he was at selling something came maybe halfway through his talking. This was why he just wanted to play music and avoid people. Still, his intent was genuine, and so were his words, even if he never got Adrian in a band, he'd have loved to listen to his music, fully realized in a record. "I did mean it, but yeah, I'll cut down on it." Callan chuckled.

But now that was out of the way, they could actually get to what mattered: The music. "Great." Came his reply, Adrian was right though, they hardly knew each other outside of the few emails and samples, that wasn't exactly great for a band. The best way to start was getting to know what the other liked.

"So, now that the bullshit's out the way, what kinda music you into man?" He asked. "I guess like, I'm more interested in knowing what sort of music you'd like to make as well, I kind of have a gist of it from your songs but it's been a couple years."

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
POSTED ON May 23, 2022 7:36:44 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[attr=class,yveltal]
[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,image]

[attr=class,overlay]

[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,bulk][break]"Hard rock. Some groove metal, electropunk..."[break][break]

Adrian had been forced out of the traditional rock genre when he had a falling out with an underground band in Hoenn. Though he'd managed to retain some of his popularity, and grew in other ways, there was a distinct lack of talent backing him up. A vocalist could only get so far on their own in this sort of industry.[break][break]

"I've done some other kinds of songs, but that was out of necessity."[break][break]

Just to keep his tongue sharp and his creativity stimulated. Money wasn't exactly the issue or the drive; his family had a small fortune he would inherit.[break][break]

"I used to want to play guitar, but I don't have a knack for it." Adrian obsessed over their sharp, resonating tones, idealizing them for the impact they provided to the lyricist's work. He couldn't himself play a guitar very well, but back in Sinnoh he used a Rotom to compensate; but that wasn't something he wanted to be known for as a professional artist, so he quit while he was ahead.[break][break]

"What about you? I'm sure you could take a swing at anything, but..."[break][break]

They would do well for themselves, playing to their strengths and interests.

tags [break]
[attr=class,bottom-text]

SLATEPORT CITY

template by punki

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,559 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON May 25, 2022 14:26:56 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"I love electropunk too. I'm probably more on the pop side, I like a whole lot of different genres." Callan admitted. "So long as I can recognize the mastery of something in it, whether it's like... singing, voice, technique, or just a type of vibe, I tend to give things a great shot regardless." Callan's fingers twitched reflexively into strums as he continued to think of bands. "I really like math rock though, funk, heavy metal, that sorta thing."

Callan listened as Adrian spoke of his musical career. "Yeah, I feel you. Music's hard to break into." Callan replied. "I gave up on music, for the longest time. I got back into it by busking at Slateport, selling CDs in a cardboard box for 10 PD." He could still feel the stares of pity, sympathy, false or real, like a knife digging into his back. His lips pursed for a brief moment, but, there were also the memories of an elderly couple who stopped by his bench every time he played, couples dancing to his music, a stray Rockruff and families seating by the parks it listen. "I do love busking, it didn't pay the bills, though."

"But umm, as for what type of music we're probably gonna play, I don't know. I'd have to jam with you a few times first." He grinned. "Just based on your single though... there's this one track I wanna do, it's post-hardcore, if you're into that. We can figure our identity along the way if you like. But if you ask me..." Callan placed a thumb to his lip, "I think your voice is Arceus given for metal. Clean vocals, unclean vocals, range... you know. I'm happy to play anything, as long as it gives expression to what your soul wants. If we're gonna become mainstream, it's because we made the wave, not riding the trend, you know?"

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2022 9:53:39 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[attr=class,yveltal]
[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,image]

[attr=class,overlay]

[attr=class,accentbg]

[attr=class,bulk][break]"Seems like you were determined to make it work... It sounds pretty admirable, honestly."[break][break]

Adrian could never see himself going to such lengths, and it really spoke to his character more than he cared to admit. Callan was keen on making this work between them, you could tell by the way he was buttering Adrian up, but nothing about what they said came across as disingenuous. Perhaps a bit embellished, but nothing to the tune of a lie, so far as Adrian could tell.[break][break]

"We can try whatever you'd like, just have to book us a studio room for an evening." Getting a room cheap these days would be easy enough, considering the underwhelming presence of talent in Hoenn. Many artists found their stardom in Kalos or Unova these days, or even Alola or Galar. Hoenn wasn't exactly the musical capital of the world, but that worked to their advantage.[break][break]

Still, there were big players like Melody Miro that hogged the limelight. They would still be the underdogs, vying for every inch trying to make an impression.[break][break]

Adrian had to admit, he was starting to look forward to this venture. They weren't just going to be another splash in the pond. The corner of his lips tugs back into a lopsided grin as they're talking about which genres they want to break into, where their inspiration came from, how they'd scratched the surface of this dream...[break][break]

"I should give you my number," Adrian reached for his cellphone, tapping and swiping until he found his personal number, surrendering the series of digits for Callan as soon as they were ready to add Adrian into their contacts.

tags [break]
[attr=class,bottom-text]

SLATEPORT CITY

template by punki

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights