awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 13:01:32 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
Tasked with relieving Lilycove's fish market of pesky pokemon of the winged variety, Derek roams the streets with his Zeraora, Gheleon, at his side. Anticipating that they would eventually become impatient, the gym leader knew they'd have to deal with them.

"So what're you here for?" Having bumped into someone a ways back, the gym leader invited them to walk with him, even deciding to strike up some conversation with them in the meantime. Either they were here for the fish, or Derek would be lucky enough to have some help shouldering this burden.
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
Pain makes you stronger, heartbreak makes you wiser, and fear makes you braver
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 0:59:46 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Oliver had been walking his Yamper, and giving his Joltik a breath of fresh air. The little lightning bug was in his shirt pocket, where he kept a few batteries for his little tyke's comfort. He had quickly been able to train his Yamper on his voice commands, and hasn't had any issues, and had been a good boy. During the walk, he met a...good looking guy. They had accidentally bumped shoulders, but a quick apology amounted to nothing happening. The guy also seemed pretty laid back, if on a mission with his Zeraora. The guy did ask him to come with him too. Huh, wierd. But maybe the guy was into him? Or just wanted a companion/chat.

Either way, Oliver didn't mind. He had meant to call to see if they can chill sometime. He needed some friends. The man asked him what he was here for. Ollie quickly found that they were going to the fish market. He had meant to come down one of these days instead of having cheap microwave meals. "Just walking Yamper and giving Joltik a breath of fresh air. I do have some of my other buddies with me, but I didn't really have any plans. Name's Oliver by the way. What about you?" The semi-bad boy looking ranger asked the guy. While also looking around. He noticed some venders being a little cagey, and glaring up. It was then that the man saw an awful lot of Wingull flying around. Oh boy. He knew those looks...these guys were wanting food.

"Does you being here have something to do with all these hungry looking Wingull?"

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
old habits die hard, i guess.
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 5:40:54 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"Actually, yeah." Derek answers before looking to and nodding at his pokemon. One of the WINGULL had finally swooped down, daring to snatch one of the fresh fish laid out on the vendor stands. A quick leap into the air delivered it's PLASMA FISTS directly into the bird's face, causing it to flap around on the ground before finally being rid of the little pulses of electricity still lingering in it's nervous system.

"There's a lot of fish here, so it makes sense they need help protecting their investment." Even if some people were allergic, didn't like it or whatever, it was one of the things people were willing to pay top dollar for. Which meant people like Derek could easily be paid to prevent anything from snatching their best fish during the hours they experienced a peak in sales. "If your pokemon help at all, I'll make sure you're compensated even though you haven't signed the ledger."

Likewise, he chose his words when a large horde of WINGULL & PELIPPER began to crowd the electrical lines overlooking the market. The biggest one seemed to be having a conversation with none other than the one Derek's Zeraora just electrocuted...
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 0:27:52 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Derek confirmed that it was the Wingull. The one that got smacked around like a plaything did manage to recover enough to leave, but man, did it take a beating. What the man said made sense. Oliver never had the time to actually stop by the fish market nor was he around enough to actually shop around. He always got back late, and often had to use an app. to get his groceries. Then came the offer. Oh, he was definitely ready to earn some cash on the side...even though he half wondered why this was never brought up to the Rangers. "I'm in. Though I question why this never was asked of the Rangers? Or at least asked their opinion? I mean, I live right here in Lilycove, I'd be the perfect candidate for this request..." Though it was curious that there were so many more than he thought...but he should still be able to handle it.

Well, they did circle around the market. So Yamper knew how large the place was. "So, scare them away or show them they would have an easier time to catch their meal from the nearby ocean. Sounds simple enough, though if I had to guess, that big Pelipper is the alpha. Usually if you defeat it or convince it to leave, they and their crew tend to do so. I can have Yamper patrol the perimeter to make sure no new friends come near. That electric line is perfect for a Discharge...and Joltik has it, and can do crowd control. My Dragonite can handle a lot, and does know Thunder Punch. Got an idea for a plan of action beyond that?" There might be a better way that he just hadn't thought of yet. Might as well ask his new partner.

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2022 14:29:08 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"Probably because the rangers usually handle stuff that falls within the pokemon's natural habitat. Or pokemon that have been forced from their natural habitat." This, on the other hand, was pokemon encroaching on human society. On their profits. The businesses weren't concerned about it being people who cared about pokemon. The only thing they wanted was results, which meant hiring anyone who was willing and able to fend off the wild birds.

All for some fish that they could easily catch on their own. But this market, it's smell, made it all too tempting. Usually it was so very easy to take what they wanted. Just not today.

"I wouldn't aim for the electric line if I were you, but the rest sounded good." Derek had no idea how much voltage, or other measures of electricity were coursing through it. And the last thing they needed was to start a fire, explosion, or whatever kind of mayhem may be caused by damaging the power line.

During their conversation, the PELIPPER eventually gave the order to attack. A small flock of three came their way, likely some of the strongest WINGULL it's gang had to offer. Derek didn't even need to say anything, simply allowing his Zeraora to knock them out with it's PLASMA FISTS in order to send a message.

Likewise, that really seemed to piss off all the birds.
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2022 18:17:53 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
"That's true. Though we have been commissioned before to remove wild Pokemon from human areas back to their natural habitats while investigating what drove them to human areas. Since that's not really the case here, it makes sense that they didn't come to us, I guess." Much as he didn't really like that, it was a fair point to the other man. The plan sounded mostly good to the commissioned guy, though. "You heard the man, Joltik. Good thing we've done some training first, huh? Go up there and show those birds what a terrifying little guy you are. Try not to use the power line as a power source though, you don't know what it powers, it could be life saving equipment for all you know. Yams, keep them from getting reinforcements from else where." The Joltik saluted and jumped onto Ollie's outstretched hand, then onto a stall's roof, then moved up towards its vantage point. Yamper yipped in confirmation, and started to go around the area. Distant Roars from him could already be heard.

Then the attack started, and the stranger's Zeraora met them in the air with Plasma Fists. In an impressive display, it knocked out all three of them with ease. But it wasn't a flyer, so battling them could be difficult if it didn't know a ranged attack. Taking out a Pokeball, Oliver released his ace. A tall, if slightly cute and derpy looking, but powerful, Dragonite appeared. "Dragonite, this is an air battle. Keep those Wingull and Pelliper from stealing these fishermen's fish. Joltik is running crowd control once he gets into position, and Yamper is keeping them from getting reinforcements from nearby. Work with Zeraora when needed, but it's all up to you and your judgement." Giving his trainer a thumbs up, the dragon barked at the Zeraora to let him know if he needed a stepping stone or something.

With a short dash forward, and a vertical fly up, Dragonite used Dragon Rush on several Wingull being led by a Pelliiper, bulldozing through their formation like it wasn't even there. Joltik surprised a trio of Wingull on the main pole for the wire via a Discharge. The second Discharge was aimed at eight different Wingull flying around, surprising them as well, but only hitting two of them. Despite being a cutie, Ollie had already trained Joltik to be quite the electrical powerhouse, something he was desperately needing...

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2022 22:40:18 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"'Leon, make sure you keep up with'em!" Acknowledging the added help, Dragonite's dragon rush would aid the Zeraora in closing the distance between them and their apparent 'enemy'. Utilizing the dragon's shoulder as a platform, the feline leapt high enough to reach the BOSS PELIPPER coordinating the battle plan of it's kin.

Tackling it off the power line, they come crashing to the ground in a rough manner, struggling against one another all the while. Squawks and caws of distress and frustration rally the wingull into one swarm, barreling down towards the Zeraora who began channeling an outrageous amount of electricity in it's body.

"That's right, let'em have it!" Derek recognized this as the z-power his pokemon harnessed, stepping back and gesturing for Oliver to do the same. When all the Wingull gathered overhead to pulverize the Zeraora, it released it's counter-attack.

The GIGAVOLT HAVOC streaked upward into the sky, creating a flash right before them as bright as the sun. Hell, it even gave off heat like one. It was just that intense, and it showed in the results. Only a small flock of Wingull from the other side of the market went unscathed, which Derek pointed towards.

"You'd think they'd realize it's hopeless by now."

It wasn't that he didn't enjoy their heart or comradery, it was just annoying to keep putting them down in such a cruel manner. Nobody liked getting shocked, and these pokemon were exceptionally vulnerable to it...

"Mind taking care of the rest?" By the looks of it, his Zeraora was tuckered out and could use some rest.
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 2:27:26 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
The double team allowed the electric type to tackle the head birb. While it scattered the main flock, Joltik again struck with Discharge, hitting two to six at a time. Yamper came back and used Roar, scaring a small flock away as well. But Hoffman had another idea, a Z-move. Dragonite used Hurricane to corral the Wingull into more of a blob, ensuring a massive strike to take out the vast majority of the massive flock. Ollie didn't have a Z-move or a mega evolution. They didn't have that kind of thing back in Johto. It was certainly one hell of a display...so much so that Oliver was jealous. Well, maybe in due time he'll get one.

But the flock was small...small enough that Dragonite can finish it up. With a combination of Hurricane and Dragon Rush. Yamper and Joltik came back to him. It was brutal, but he had to agree with Hoffman, they should have realized that it was hopeless. But, well, some birds didn't take the hint that well. The couple that did manage to avoid the Dragon Rush flew away, finally taking the hint. But then there was all of these birbs around. "So...what to do with all these Wingull...for as long as it took them to learn a harsh and brutal lesson, I don't think they'll stay away that easily..." Not without a complete relocation, and even that could be iffy.

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 15:04:36 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"I'm not a ranger anymore, so that's not my problem." The blunt truth was that they were acting as the security guards of the fish they were trying to steal. It wasn't on them to make sure the Wingull never tried again. That's why they had so many people taking different days and shifts. It was nice that Oliver had a good heart, but Derek wasn't trying to waste anymore time doing ranger work. He didn't have faith in the leadership, particularly because of what had said during their meeting. "If you wanted, you could try to relocate them." Rangers did that sort of thing all the time.

"But they're just going to fly back. Not unless you've got more to offer them wherever they're taken. Otherwise they'll remember this place and come straight back." Though, if he had to say, there was one way that they might stay away.

"The best shot you'd have is making sure the Pelipper doesn't come back. If he doesn't, then the rest will probably avoid the market as well." Other than that, the rangers might as well not do anything until they can provide them all a better habitat.

"Anyway, it's time to get paid." Whether they followed him or not, Derek would make sure the people knew to pay him. His pokemon did good work out there, and that Joltik reminded him that there were still some bug type pokemon he needed to look for...
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 20:43:01 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
The comment made Oliver curious about Derek. Not a ranger anymore huh? He wondered how come. As much as he hated incompetent idiots or those that purposely use live missions as tests, like a certain , overall, he loved his job. Even if here in Hoenn, he didn't always have a crack at Team Rocket as he did back home in Johto. Oliver was about to say something about the relocation probably not going to work when Derek already hit that nail on the head. "I was about to say that. We're in agreement there." And the ranger also agreed with Derek on his next comment. Quickly finding the Pelipper, who was just barely waking up, he started to go towards it with Dragonite, Yamper, and Joltik in tow. "I'll be there in a second."

He'll track him down with Yamper. Staring down the scared Pelipper, Dragonite translated for him. "You know, there's a lot of people here every bit as strong as us. Don't come back here expecting a free meal. You got plenty to eat out there, so you best get going. And if I see you and your flock here again...well, maybe I should cook you up next time." He could see the Peliper pale, as did a few others just barely recovering. Squaking it's agreement to leave the place alone, the flock and it retreated away.

Yamper tracked down Derek, so he could get paid as well.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,944 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
beware of birds [m]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 7:27:37 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: