Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2022 3:10:50 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
It had been days.

With radio silence on both sides.

understood, to an extent. He himself had been practically catatonic in the hours following NECROZUMA's attack on Sootopolis City. Never in his life had he witnessed - no, participated in - such a gruesome, chaotic battle. Memories of that day continued to claw at his mind, warding off any restful sleep and preoccupying him even in his waking hours.

The Darkest Day had been historic, after all: monumental, catastrophic, and life-altering for citizens of Hoenn and beyond. The aftereffects were felt deeply, even within ROCKET. In the wake of the attack several members had been appointed to new leadership roles, including .

He was busy, Barnaby reasoned. New position, new responsibilities.

New office.

Which was where he found himself now. Outside of it, anyway, staring at a reinforced metal door. It was one o'clock in the morning and by all rights Barnaby should have been asleep in the West Wing dormitories.

He couldn't sleep, though. Not with the sort of worry and anxiety he was feeling. It was suffocating. Strangling. A cocktail of emotions that threatened to drown him unless he... did what?

That was the question. Truthfully, he wasn't sure what he needed to do to remedy his unsettled mind. And yet, Barnaby's body had moved, almost on its own, to where he knew Mars to be.

Beside the doorframe was a simple console, composed of just a small screen and a few buttons. Barnaby shifted his head, ready to alert his presence, but stopped with a finger hovering in the air.

He could see himself in the blackness of the screen. His reflection was of someone he didn't even recognize: haggard, expressionless, his cobalt eyes looking dulled and extinguished.

Barnaby's finger spanned the meager distance remaining. He pressed the button and the screen blinked on.

Moments later, a metallic click signaled the unlocking of the door. Soon after it slid open, revealing the office of Underboss .

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2022 23:00:57 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

THINK BIGGER THAN THE BINDS OF BLOOD.[break]
DEFY YOUR FATE.[break]
BECOME SOMETHING MORE.

[break]
It had brought him hope once. It had made him feel as if the universe itself agreed with the path he had carved for himself despite what he had been conditioned to become. It had reminded him that he was right. Now, however, remembering the words the Being of Willpower spoke into his mind before leaving Sootopolis behind brings nothing but anger to Mars.
[break][break]
Kindle to flame.
[break][break]
Those fires that burn within him, until recently incessant yet contained, now rage with nothing to stop them. He could scream. He could break anything in his grasp. He could kill someone. None of it would be enough. Nothing would quench this rage he feels.
[break][break]
They had been fools. He had warned them, and yet they had still allowed Darkest Day to take everything from them.
[break][break]
All for it, for what? For a promotion? Never has Mars felt more hateful towards a title, more bitter towards something he knows he has earned through laborious dedication. He was always meant to be one of Team Rocket’s Underbosses, but as he sits in this new office of his, writing his report on the complexities of the night they dubbed ‘The Dawn of the Darkest Day’, there is no joy in it.
[break][break]
Not even when he finds himself interrupted by a request to enter from a visitor. Not even when seeing that that visitor is of all people. Mars had not seen him in days, not since that morning after returning to Mauville, and when the door opens, he barely even looks up from the documents before him.
[break][break]
”Hey. Did something happen? I have a lot to do.”
[break][break]
Busy. Purposefully so. For keeping himself busy also keeps him from thinking of how fucking angry he is about it all.
[break][break]
He has been working for too long. He has barely slept. He’s not even sure what time it is anymore.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
SETTING: Late June - Post DOTDD 🌟

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=.tmm2] --accent: #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 20:50:08 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He hesitated for a moment. Or, perhaps hesitation wasn't the right word. Observation was more correct. Barnaby observed from the threshold of the office, taking in the space before him. Mostly he looked at and how the man fit into his new domain.

He saw the documents, already piled high onto the new desk. Witnessed the glow of a computer screen and how it illuminated Mars' skin. Not enough to hide the dark circles under his eyes, though.

He noticed how the underboss hardly looked up upon his arrival. So engrossed in his work that there was barely a blip of recognition in those amber eyes Barnaby knew so well.

"... No. I just wanted to check on you." He confessed hollowly, finally peeling himself from the doorway and into the room. The closer he got to 's desk, however, the more obvious it became how little time the man had spent away from it.

"When was the last time you slept?" More of a rhetorical question than anything else. Whatever the answer, it would be too long.

"You need to rest, Martín."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 16:58:02 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

He needs to rest. It’s such an easy thing to say. It sounds so logical when spoken out loud. So simple. So obvious. So far from the truth.
[break][break]
Mars doesn’t want to resent . He doesn’t want to lash out, to be cruel, and to use him to vent his anger, but the words cut deeper than what Barnaby probably expects, and the newly appointed underboss feels himself to be seconds away from snapping. Yes, he needs rest, but how the fuck could he rest when things are this way? How is he supposed to rest when images of Azelf, of Necrozma’s attack, of the visions he had, of the things he has lost, all haunt his slumber?
[break][break]
He can’t rest. He may never be able to truly rest ever again.
[break][break]
”What I need is to do my job.”
[break][break]
Team Rocket needs him. Sootopolis needs him. He can’t waste any time with this sort of foolishness. But, doesn’t Barnaby need him too? He had before, and he too had been there when Necrozma had decimated their forces.
[break][break]
Mars takes a deep breath, grounding himself, and it’s at that moment that amber eyes meet those cobalt ones he knows well. What he sees reflected in Barnaby’s gaze is concern. Barnaby’s concern about him, and at the same time, his own concern about Barnaby, Sootopolis, and the entirety of Team Rocket.
[break][break]
”Sit down. How have you been doing?”
[break][break]
This, unlike attempting to rest, is not time wasted.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=.tmm2] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.tmm2 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 2:12:12 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"What I need is to do my job."

Small sparks of 's flaming anger sputtered out with that tense statement. A brief glimpse into the man's roaring inner turmoil, but just enough to light the kindling of Barnaby's own repressed emotions.

On a normal day he would have taken it in stride; the words would have bounced off his armored ego without a chink to be found. But today, it stung more than it should. Elicited an unwelcomed pang in his chest.

Snapped him out of his comatose apathy.

"Not well. Something you'd know if you'd—"

Barnaby was barely able to cut himself off. He sighed and shook his head, looking away from . The chair in front of the Underboss' desk remained empty, with Barnaby preferring to stand beside it, fists clenched so tightly his knuckles appeared white.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 13:13:13 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

”If I what?” Is what he wants to say to Barnaby. ”If I cared? If I had gone to look after you? Is my whole life supposed to revolve around you? You’re so fucking selfish.”
[break][break]
He doesn’t say any of it, though. For even now he knows those are things he does not mean. Even now he puts a lot of thought into the words he actually speaks.
[break][break]
He had wanted to go check on . He had wanted to look after him. But, the truth of the matter is that his duties had not allowed for him to leave Sootopolis City when the situation is so dire, and that while Barnaby undeniably matters to him, so does the rest of Team Rocket. He would have been no help in the state he is, anyway. Frustration is all he can express. Frustration and anger.
[break][break]
Mars sighs, pushing himself not to let those feelings show themselves. Forcing himself to be calm for Barnaby’s sake.
[break][break]
”Is that what you came here to say?” It’s not accusatory, but a simple question, and when speaking it, Mars looks at Barnaby from where he’s sitting. He knows the answer already, he knows it had probably been Barnaby being worried about him, but Mars respects himself too much to let anyone walk over him. No matter how much they mean to him.
[break][break]
”The League could take advantage of the dire situation Sootopolis is in, Barnaby. Another threat could appear. I need to make sure we’re as prepared as can be.” He’s calm, but his words ring true. Barnaby is not doing okay, but Mars is not okay either. No one in Hoenn is doing okay. That doesn’t mean he gets to sit around and feel sorry for himself. Mars has never been the type to do as much, anyways. ”I need to do better. For all our sakes.”
[break][break]
Better than he did last time.
[break][break]
He had warned Walsh of what would happen, and that sure hadn’t been enough to prevent Necrozma’s attack.
[break][break]
Subconsciously, he blames himself.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 2:12:35 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He is selfish.

And he knows it. Has known it, for a very long time. was well acquainted with the satisfaction of getting what he wanted.

But this? This conversation brought him no satisfaction whatsoever. In fact, he felt entirely out of control, even as the Underboss before him appeared so logical in his talk of duty and doing better.

His words made sense. Of course they did. This was , after all, someone Barnaby knew operated at a higher level than most. Achieved more than most. Had a drive that was stronger and more robust than anyone Barnaby had ever met.

And yet, selfishly, in this moment of ignited emotions - he didn't care. About the League, about Sootopolis, about imminent threats coming their way... or even about ROCKET. Logic had been left behind in his dormitory bed.

"Yes." A lie. These heightened feelings were no more planned than the way his voice cracked under the tension of the moment. Mars' calm demeanor only added fuel to the flame.

"I need you."

Why am I not a priority to you?

"Just like you needed me that night at my apartment. I was there for you at your worst."

Why couldn't you do the same for me?

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 11:39:19 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

Mars may never trust again. He had done so at one of his worst moments, one of his weakest, one of his most vulnerable, and now that is being thrown back at him the most accusatory way. He should have known. He should have known that Barnaby would want something in return for what happened that night. He should have known that none of it was out of actual concern.
[break][break]
Barnaby is just like everyone else. Everyone who wants things out of him. Everyone who takes and takes and takes.
[break][break]
”And you think this is not for you?” It’s not what he means to say, but the truth comes out raw, real, and like a metaphorical slap meant for the man standing before him. ”You think you’re not part of the reason why I’m doing all this? You’re smarter than that, Barnaby. Look around you. I’m working my ass off because I can’t stand the thought of putting you in danger again.”
[break][break]
’Putting him in danger.’
[break][break]
He blames himself.
[break][break]
Nothing he does is enough, though. Barnaby is here to reiterate something Mars already knows painfully well. He always needs to do more, and he’s trying, but apparently that’s still not good enough.
[break][break]
Pathetic.
[break][break]
He sighs then, an elbow resting on the desk as he pinches the bridge of his nose. His next words are spoken as barely anything other than a whisper, and he does not look at Barnaby when doing so:
[break][break]
"...Can you come here?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 1:06:31 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
's words struck to the core, each syllable stabbing at Barnaby's already fractured resolve. Their intensity practically burned away any rebuke he could possibly give, leaving only shame and regret in their wake.

He was right. Mars did so much for everyone, gave so much of himself, and in the end he still had 's wellbeing in mind.

"I’m working my ass off because I can’t stand the thought of putting you in danger again.”

The hollow ache in his heart swelled to an acute, throbbing pain. And when lowered his voice to a whisper, beckoning him closer, the pain only intensified to a debilitating degree. It took all of Barnaby's power to force his feet forward, to round the corner of the desk, to stand beside Mars where he leaned with the bridge of his nose pinched between his fingers.

But in the end, couldn't pretend anymore. He couldn't reject the emotions that brought him here any longer. It was needlessly hurting both of them.

"... I'm sorry." He squeezed his fists together, his nails biting into the flesh of his palms. "I just—"

Barnaby paused, extending an arm to steady himself on the edge of the desk. As he did so, strands of black hair fell like a curtain across his face, hiding his eyes and any discernable expression.

His voice, though, couldn't conceal the truth. In a hoarse whisper Barnaby confessed:

"I was scared, Martín."

It was with a trembling hand that he then reached out - seeking... what? Things that he thought he'd never need from another person. Comfort. Solace. Reassurance. His hand was there, hovering, for to take if he chose to do so.

"When I saw you go after Azelf—" Barnaby took a shaky breath, swallowing hard.

"I was so scared I was going to lose you."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 22:33:47 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

He regrets it. He regrets it so very deeply. Just like that, everything changes. His rage is still there; the deep-seated anger at the circumstances they had faced, the frustration, the resentment, and the hatred. They all coexist in the turmoil of his heart and mind, but it’s with his own unintended words that something else comes to light – something he had tried to ignore. Something that he’s forced to acknowledge with Barnaby’s shaken admittance.
[break][break]
Fear.
[break][break]
Fear of loss.
[break][break]
Fear of losing Barnaby.
[break][break]
”I know.” He can’t say it outloud. Not even now. Not ever. Life has conditioned him in the worst ways possible to refuse emotions like those – to see them as weak and pathetic. Old habits die hard. Conditioning like that is impossible to break. And yet…
[break][break]
I’m sorry.
[break][break]
It’s no more than a whisper, but it is honest, and they are words that by Mars are rarely ever spoken. Martín del Mar does not apologise for his action. Martín Marzán never apologised either. But right here, right now, Mars is apologising for one thing alone, and that is for hurting .
[break][break]
It’s an apology spoken as he takes the other’s hand, gently pulling him one step closer. Close enough to wrap his arms around waist. He does so, and he leans in then, his forehead gently pressing against Barnaby’s abdomen.
[break][break]
What follows is also a whisper.
[break][break]
”I don’t want to lose you, Barnaby.”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 2:49:52 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Part of him hated this. This damn vulnerability. He'd never felt this way before, let alone admitted to it aloud. It reminded Barnaby of his youth, before he'd decided to curtail his emotional capacity. A time he did not care to repeat ever again.

He remembered it all too well. The helplessness of hinging your feelings upon those of others. The pain when all of it eventually fell apart. The unmet expectations. The heartbreak.

On a certain level he knew this hatred was unfounded, though, at least where Mars was concerned. Borne out of what he'd just confessed to... fear of losing someone so important to him. Fear of what that truly meant. Fear of letting another person have so much influence over him.

And yet... the tenderness of 's hand pulling him in, the feeling of the other man's arms wrapped tightly around his waist... it brought relief on a scale Barnaby couldn't even comprehend. His body didn't even think to resist.

He leaned into Mars' embrace, sliding his own arms around the Underboss' neck, pulling him closer. Gentle lips were then pressed to the crown of the other's head, delivering the softest kiss he could muster. It was difficult, considering how his body continued to tremble.

Barnaby breathed in, then, his head buried in auburn hair, cherishing 's familiar, comforting scent. Orange. Cedarwood. Bergamot. The slightest wisp of spearmint. One, two, three breaths. In and out. In and out. In and out.

Slowly, his body began to still.

"... I know." He feels the same.

This admittance was confirmation enough for .

"I can go if you have to work." He whispered, his words filtering through stands of Mars' hair. "Just tell me what you need."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 19:27:16 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

”No.” A response is quietly spoken without a need to think it through, to second guess, or to consider if it’s the right choice. He knows it is. He knows what he wants. And right here, right now, he knows what Barnaby wants too.
[break][break]
”Stay.”
[break][break]
It’s not a demand, it’s not a command, but it’s no plea either. It’s simply a wish spoken while clinging to soft fabric and taking in the soothing scents of lavender and sandalwood. Familiar. Cherished. This is what he had wanted all along. What he had needed.
[break][break]
His grip tightens, pulling Barnaby even closer, yet it’s gently that fingers dig into the back of the journalist’s shirt, likely still wrinkling it anyway. Mars does not care. He needs him here.
[break][break]
”...I’ve lost too many people I care for, Barnaby. I can’t lose you too.”
[break][break]
In these whispered words, there’s the pained admittance of something had only been granted glimpses of before: of all of the grief that fills the heart of the man that so desperately holds onto him. Grief for everything he had ever loved.
[break][break]
In these words, there is a realisation for Mars himself too; the admittance of what he had attempted to deny and ignore. The admittance of just how much Barnaby matters to him. Of how much he cherishes him.
[break][break]
Beneath his clothes, the rings that are worn as pendants suddenly feel incredibly heavy.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2022 0:58:16 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
It was cathartic, in a way. A relief. An emotional release.

Despite the tumult of this interaction, there was an overwhelming comfort in knowing that they both needed one another. Feelings reciprocated under the darkest of circumstances. Mars gripped him tighter, and Barnaby pressed closer in kind. It was a mutual affection.

"...I’ve lost too many people I care for, Barnaby. I can’t lose you too."

The words cut into him, splitting his relief into ribbons of worry. Barnaby could almost feel the heavy grief falling from 's lips. The immediate response that came to mind was not spoken aloud, however:

"I'll always be here. You'll never lose me."

There was no way he could make that promise in good faith. It would be a lie. One that would never come as easily as the many others he'd told in his life. Their work was inherently dangerous, after all. No day was guaranteed.

Even so, Barnaby's instinct was to reassure. He needed to be strong. Vulnerable or not, he couldn't wallow in his fear forever.

"You won't." Barnaby pulled away then, still within Mars' embrace, just enough to slip a hand to the other's cheek. He searched for eye contact while cradling 's jaw, stroking the flesh there with a gentle thumb.

"I don't plan on going anywhere. You're struck with me, remember?"

Spoken through a small, comforting smile.

All while a single teardrop slowly slid down his face.
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
corona
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 0:39:12 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","tmm2"]
[attr="class","main"]

A gentle hand on his cheek, guiding him to look up. Eyes of a mesmerising blue, like gazing towards the surface from the cold depths of the ocean. A soft smile, bringing warmth to his heart. And then a single tear, one that makes him reach up to wipe it away, then cupping Barnaby’s cheek with one hand.
[break][break]
”Not as much as you’re stuck with me.”
[break][break]
It should be teasing, it should be a joke, but no matter what the words should be, they sound as honest as can be. They are honest. They are what Mars feels. There’s no way he’s leaving Barnaby. There’s no way he’s losing him. That’s why he needs to do all this.
[break][break]
”Barnaby…” There’s a pause, and eyes of amber look away from cobalt ones for a moment, all for the sake of turning to so very softly kiss the palm of the hand at his cheek. ”...What if I told you it’s not safe to be around me, though? That you could be in danger because of me?”
[break][break]
It’s but a whisper, but there it is again: the grief. There’s pain in every word, and if only for a second there, it looks as if he’ll cry too.
[break][break]
He blinks it away.
[break][break]
He reminds himself of who he is.
[break][break]
He doesn’t look at Barnaby.
[break][break]
Not yet, at least.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
corona
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 17:34:16 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Mars' familiar touch breathed warmth into his body. Barnaby leaned into it, covetous, pressing his cheek into the other's palm. It was a comfort matched in intensity only by Mars' spoken confirmation.

That was, until, he posed a question. Barnaby stilled. His eyebrows furrowed in worry. Thoughts began running rampant in his mind.

Danger?

"I'd say..." He paused, considering exactly how he wanted to respond. After all, this was a side to that Barnaby had never witnessed before. Not like this. The grief, the pain in his voice... and most startling of all, the glassy sheen to those beautiful eyes.

"...I've already chosen a life of danger." Mars looked away, but Barnaby didn't force eye contact. Instead the hand on the other man's cheek began to slide down, resting at the center of his chest, where several rings could be felt beneath the fabric there.

"What's a little more added on?"

He was making light, employing a teasing truthfulness in his answer. Barnaby's words were honest, though; he'd already reconciled the risks of his position within ROCKET long ago. Everyday was a new opportunity for peril, and that included associating with his fellow criminals. It came with the job.

However... also inherently knew that the Underboss wasn't necessarily alluding to his ROCKET connections. Whispers of 's need for freedom came to mind.

Freedom from the blood that bound him.

At the time, Barnaby hadn't pressed. So much had already been said and done that night that it seemed best to simply rest and leave it for another time.

Now he realized that time never came, except for small glimpses into Mars' childhood with a passing comment here and there. Despite their growing feelings for one another, much of their lives had yet to be divulged on both sides.

Barnaby felt the urge to reconcile this. He wanted Mars to know more about him. More than anyone else.

And to know more about him, too.

"Why would being around you put me in danger, mon trésor...?"