saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2022 15:10:28 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

there is likely no one more suited for this mission than groudon's chosen. not like anyone outside the upper echelons of the league would know that, however, so he doesn't expect his partner to.[break][break]

"hey, i'm matias. i'm afraid we'll have to cut the pleasantries short as they don't have much time."[break][break]

still, he does offer josh a handshake should he want one.[break][break]

"are you ready to head in?"

[attr="class","ooc"][break]
valor: search and rescue[break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-dragonair"]

[newclass=".sixeyes"]--accent:#5d464e; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 3:55:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's status as Mauville Gym Leader afforded him no privilege as a Ranger; he had to work his way up the ranks just like everyone else. It seemed there was quite the shortage of high-ranking Rangers in the newly-formed VALOR movement prompted by the events of the Darkest Day. There was no way he was going to turn down this mission; though it was technically out of his approved Danger range, he would be under the care of one of the most talented trainers in Hoenn.

His partner would be one of the Hoenn League's own Elite Four. They were frighteningly strong trainers; even as a Gym Leader, he would certainly be no match for him. Thankfully, they would be working together today! As Josh floated around the crags of Mount Chimney, starting to sweat a little, he pulled out his phone and reviewed the mission briefing:

TO: Josh Devlin (josh.devlin@hoennrangers.gov)
CC: (matias.silph@hoennleague.gov)
MISSION: "Eruption (And Not the EVH one)"
PROTOCOL: Search-and-Rescue
DANGER: ★★★★☆

Rocket sabotage near Mount Chimney has derailed a gondola car carrying Elite Ranger Micah and three male trainers estimated to be between 13 and 18 years old to the summit of the mountain. The car fell into a chasm deep in the mountain but not close to the main crater. Triangulating their location is impossible due to a lack of cell service. Please see attachment for the gondola car's last known coordinates prior to it being derailed.

Water-type and Ice-type Pokémon are highly recommended to stay cool while searching the mountain caves due to the crater's extreme heat. The volcano is still active, so watch out for lava rivers and other seismic hazards. Team Rocket may still be around, as well. You are authorized to engage but only as a last resort.

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

It did not take long for Josh to locate his partner, awaiting him at the listed coordinates. "Hey Matias!" Josh greeted the Hoenn celebrity, his Dragonair mount floating toward the rocky road. "Formally I'm called Ranger Devlin or Gym Leader Devlin, but I go by Josh." He accepted what he was expecting to be an overly firm handshake. "We need to find those four and get them out of there as quickly as possible." There was not one shred of relaxation or pleasantness in his body language or tone; he had done enough of these to know time was of the essence, especially if the location the gondola crashed in was particularly hospitable. "If you've got a flying ride Pokémon, then let's saddle up and start looking for them."

{WC: 440}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Yagyu         Doublade       Good
Inky          Glaceon        Good
Hatsu         Drampa         Good
Ares          Charizard      Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 8:44:47 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

in stark contrast to his ranger partner, matias' body language shows him at ease or perhaps not quite as tense as he maybe should've been considering the situation.[break][break]

"yes, let's get to it, ranger josh."[break][break]

it's with a grin that he mounts his dragonair, ready to take off after a glimmer of SAFEGUARD wraps around them just in case.[break][break]

"let's go!"

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 5:49:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Wow, nice Dragonair!" Josh gasped, impressed at how strong the flying serpent looked. While this Pokémon didn't quite have the charm of Josh's, she looked way stronger. "I see you have great taste in your choice of aerial mount. There truly is nothing like flying atop a Dragonair. What's her name?" the Leader asked as the two took off, Resheph enveloping her skin in her AQUA TAIL to try to keep her rider cool.

Under the effects of Aqua's SAFEGUARD and his own dragon's AQUA TAIL, Josh would be comfortably cool. Resheph soared just above the ground beneath the gondola car's track, tugging back on the dragon's reins when when he got to a dangling, thick cable snapped in two. "This must have been a hell of a sabotage, Matias," Josh observed aloud. "These things are heat resistant and are designed to bear several tons of weight. There's no way a wild Pokémon attack could have done this. Not an ordinary Pokémon, anyway."

About the only volcanic Pokémon Josh could think of that could wreak this kind of havoc was Entei. Any divine fire-type Pokémon could melt even the most heat-resistant cables, but Entei was the only one hw could think of off the top of his head. "Do you know from the briefing you got whether the car was traveling up or down the mountain? If not, we may have to split up. The car couldn't have landed far from here."

{WC: 247}
{PC: 2}

Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Pazuzu        Pidgeot        Good
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 16:44:43 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

a genuine moment is shared between them. matias feels it appropriate to share, smiling as he recollects.

"aqua. we've been fighting together for as long as i can remember."[break][break]

so they begin their search, starting with the snapped cables that speak of sabotage. an intentional attack to send the car crashing down.[break][break]

"you're right. it was traveling up, i believe."[break][break]

which narrows down the possibilities. he tugs on his dragonair, shifting off in a particular direction.[break][break]

"let's try this way."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 3:37:32 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Aqua...our Dragonair have a lot in common," Josh replied as he kept his eyes open for any signs of the presumably ruined gondola car. "I got her...as a prize from the Goldenrod Game Corner in Johto. I can't imagine how badly she was mistreated before I got her. Now, after eleven years, she's among my closest friends." She let out a whistling coo at her trainer's flattery. "There really is nothing like soaring the skies on a Dragonair."

Josh was about to suggest splitting up when Matias reported that the car was on the way up the mountain when it crashed. He kept one hand on Resheph's reins and the other on Pazuzu's Poké Ball, ready to take the fight into his own hands if need be. Hopefully it didn't come to that. "Keep your guard up. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever did this is still around."

{WC: 150}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2022 10:33:39 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

and sure enough, whoever did this is definitely still around. they've even set up a convenient trap to lure matias and josh in. it's only a trap because of the tight space the platform provides them, making battling on it more challenging than it needs to be.[break][break]

but it's a trap he will willingly step into.[break][break]

"over there!"[break][break]

he can make out the vague outlines of what he assumes to be the passengers along with two from rocket.[break][break]

"they're waiting for us!"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 6:02:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
By the time Matias warned Josh, it was too late. His red Ranger uniform gave his attention away. "A Pokémon Ranger!" one of the agents whispered to his partner. "Amanda, you make sure the other Ranger is alive. I don't give one bloody #&$% what happens to the rest of these kids. They're useless to us." The marooned teenagers gasped, one of them reaching for a Poké Ball. The moment Amanda saw the threat, her Carkol stationed under the platform launched one of its coals upward, knocking the four off balance and leaving them with barely enough room to climb back up and stand over the cliff above a section of the Fiery Path closed to even Rangers for its inhospitable environment; even less hardy Fire Pokémon avoided due to just how intense the heat was.

"Try that again and my Carkol won't miss next time," the female agent muttered threateningly before turning back to her partner. "Nathan, you stall them. I'm taking the Ranger back to HQ," she whispered, both of them sending out an intimidating-looking Mienshao. The fighting-type headed toward the cliff to retrieve the blue-garbed Ranger. The other three were okay for now.

"Pazuzu!" Josh cried as he tossed out a Poké Ball and quickly guided Resheph out of melee range of the Mienshao in case they went directly for him.

"AURA SPHERE the boy," the merciless Nathan commanded.

Josh had little time to act; he knew Aura Sphere was a deadly, heat-seeking art very few Pokémon could master due to its sheer power and mental focus needed to maintain it. He had to strike decisively and quickly, which was something he was good at. "Use HURRICANE! Resheph, use your AGILITY! Get that Aura Sphere off our tail!" The Dragonair zigged and zagged to attempt to avoid it, but to no avail. In a split-second decision, Resheph turned toward the Aura Sphere and took the attack for him. "Resheph, no!" Josh cried, forced to make an emergency descent on the fumes the Dragonair was running on. He dismounted as soon as they reached the ground, recalling the badly wounded serpent.

Pazuzu's HURRICANE did the trick; it combined the force behind the strong winds with the latent heat of the volcano, blowing winds that baked both the Mienshao into collapsing from a combination of slicing winds and heat exhaustion. "Carkol!" Amanda barked. "SELF-DESTRUCT!" It was a rash move, but it would ensure their tracks would be covered, and it would conveniently eliminate potential witnesses, too.

Elite Ranger Micah, now free, fled toward Matias and Josh in a full sprint. He made it safely, but it didn't look like the teenagers he was traveling with would. The platform they were trapped on was going to blow any second. While the fall would be far from lethal, it was the environment beneath that was the true killer.

{WC: 479}
{PC: 4}

Resheph       Dragonair      KO
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 8:46:13 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

should matias have been here on his own, this battle would've been over much quicker as he'd have gone after the rockets; a move no one expects a league official to make as it'd be considered dirty.[break][break]

instead, matias focuses on assisting elite ranger micah to safety. aqua sends a THUNDER WAVE sweeping across the platform, and though it does nothing to stop the SELF-DESTRUCT, it does buy them enough time for matias' poliwrath to emerge from its pokeball.[break][break]

DAMP stops the SELF-DESTRUCT.[break][break]

"tch."[break][break]

in an act of defiace, carkol sends a ROCK BLAST into one of the platform's supports instead.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 0:53:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With the Ranger safely in Matias' custody and the Rockets on the retreat, Josh could focus on saving the three teenage trainers. With his Dragonair down for the count, though, that would be far more complicated. Without enough room for his Pidgeot to safely take off from the platform, he would be of his Pokémon that were good at jumping. He was in no short supply of those; his Manectric, Jolteon, and Pyroar were quite good at that. Of course, he would have to get them off the platform one at a time; there was only enough room for the three that stood there and one of his Pokémon. His best bet was his Jolteon.

Josh whistled for his Pidgeot to return to him so he could recall him, then sent the giant Jolteon out. The saddled Eeveelution slid down the cliff to the platform the three stood on. "Hey! Get on my Jolteon's back! She'll be able to get you to safety!" The youngest of the three nervously did as asked, firmly holding the Jolteon's reins for support as there was no other spot to grab onto that wasn't filled with skewering quills.

Just after Blinky had leaped away and carried the first to safety, the now-recalled Carkol's ROCK BLAST knocked out two of the platform's supports, causing it to swivel vertically and drop the observers into the canyon below. "Pazuzu!" Josh withdrew his Jolteon and sent his Pidgeot back out. He scurried aboard with great urgency, spurring the avian to dive over the cliff and toward the bottom, where he could see the two sprawled on the ground. It wasn't a great distance; certainly very survivable but skeletal injuries of some kind were at the very least possible, if not probable.

As Josh approached the canyon floor, a river of lava running nearby it, the smell of poultry wafted into his nostrils. When he took a breath, he felt like his nostrils and his lungs were burning. The passage down the mountain was inhospitable, the presence of the nearby lava stream causing local air temperatures to soar close to the boiling point of water.

With his useful consciousness measured in seconds at that temperature, Josh made the JUDGMENT call to send his Pyroar into the inferno below. Unable to say anything or risk burning his throat, he yanked Pazuzu's reins full nose up, nearly causing them to stall but ultimately getting the two back to safety. If Matias was paying attention to the bird, it was obvious that his plumage was singed, an indicator of the extreme temperature below.

The Pyroar could breathe much more easily than Josh did in the oppressive temperatures, biting into the unconscious younger teenager's side as gently as possible and bounding up the path leading away from the lava river. As soon as Aslan returned with the clearly unconscious adolescent and set him on the ground, Josh checked for a pulse. The victim's skin felt very hot still; whether it was external or internal could not be determined with the knowledge he had. "He's still alive," Josh rasped, clearly in pain trying to speak through a singed voice box. "Probably dehydrated. There's still one more down there...but I think won't make it."

{WC: 542}
{PC: 5}

Pazuzu        Pidgeot        Fair
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 9:25:14 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

the situation descends into chaos, though matias does his best to remain calm throughout. he watches josh and his pokemon react like a trained ranger, and for a brief moment, he's glad to have been partnered up with such a capable one.[break][break]

but his attention quickly shifts to the remaining one down there.[break][break]

"shit. okay. don't worry, i got it. you just get them out of here."[break][break]

and even though he could've taken a far less reckless approach down there, matias has since developed a desire to be flashy. so he runs along the platform only to jump off it.[break][break]

his weight is caught by his dragonair, SAFEGUARD still glowing as the two of them glide down to the bottom.[break][break]

sure enough, they find the remaining person, and though the heat is intense, matias seems to have a fairly easy time down there compared to anyone else.[break][break]

they ascend shortly after.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 6:40:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

As he was trying to arouse the unconscious teen saw Matias leap down to the trail near the lava river, Josh rasped, "Matias...no...!" Taking a deep breath that agitated his lungs, he continued, "You'll...burn up!" There was nothing more he could do; even through SAFEGUARD, there was no way a Dragonair could protect a human from such extreme heat. These were the kinds of temperatures that culinary slow-cookers reached.

Matias' escapades on the lower trail were completely unbeknownst to Josh as he dialed for Ranger services, letting Lavaridge Dispatch know that the Elite Ranger had been rescued and was safe, and that two of the gondola's other passengers were alive but in rough shape. He reported the third as dead.

While listening to the dispatcher's instructions, Josh witnessed Matias returning from the boiling road, atop what he expected to be a badly burned Dragonair carrying his trainer's corpse to the surface. To his complete shock, Matias looked totally unharmed. Not even as much as breathless. When he found out the third victim was unconscious but alive, he revised his report with Dispatch and asked them to send medical assistance, as well as assistance in getting them to the closest hospital in Lavaridge Town. The Ranger had done his due diligence; it was up to the medical system to take care of the teens now.

Once he had hung up and made sure the Elite Ranger was okay, Josh returned to Matias' side. His lungs were starting to feel a little better already but it was still difficult to take deep breaths and properly speak. Perhaps the one breath of superheated air he took in wasn't enough to char his insides, after all. "Matias...just who are you?" was the only question he could ask.

{WC: 296}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 17:13:31 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

with the teenagers rescued and somewhat safe (or at least in stable enough condition), matias breathes a sigh of relief as he slides off his dragonair, patting it a job well done before recalling the dragon-type to allow it to rest within the safe confines of its pokeball.[break][break]

josh's voice pulls him out of his thoughts.[break][break]

"what do you mean?"[break][break]

genuinely confused, it doesn't even occur to him how he's unscathed while the others are in far worse condition.[break][break]

"like, my full name? i thought you knew."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 7:36:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was nothing short of a miracle that all four of the victims were alive. The one that Aslan had carried to safety was even starting to wake up, though he was still drenched in sweat and likely still overheated. Josh's first instinct was to give the young man his spare bottle of water. While it wouldn't be cold anymore, it was wet; the searing heat had to have left the teen extremely dehydrated. When it looked like he was able to intake liquids fine, Josh finished his own bottle of water and asked Matias the question that was burning in his mind.

"Not that. All it took was one breath of the air down in that canyon... and I felt like... my chest was on fire," Josh struggled to ask. "How...how did you survive long enough to get him up? It was... an oven down there!" He wasn't exaggerating, either; while was referring to more of a slow cooker than a baking oven, the temperatures were comparable. Even speaking this much was difficult for him. The water helped, but the act of speaking practically negated its effects. This would certainly require some time in an infirmary to recover from.

{WC: 201}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
CHASM
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 8:25:07 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

it's a good thing his gear didn't burn off otherwise the ruby-red shards embedding his skin would be clear as day for josh and everyone to see. instead, all josh has to go on is the word of the elite four.[break][break]

"oh. just years of training, i guess. i'm not too sure."[break][break]

it's a weak answer, that he knows, but he can't be bothered to come up with a proper one right now. all that matters is that their mission is a success.[break][break]

but he is curious about the ranger and gym leader. he'll have to find out more about the man.[break][break]

"good job down there."