6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Piping Hot Pasta [S][C/Matias]
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 8:37:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The evening after his Mount Chimney rescue that only succeeded because of the superhuman efforts of , Josh invited him to dinner at the Crimson Sun Restaurant and Bar, the only Alto Maren restaurant in all of Lavaridge Town. The only day-of reservation was 8 PM, the very last time slot before the restaurant closed at 10 PM. He hadn't had a thing to eat since before the mission. He was starving. Good thing, too; Alto Maren places were known for their large portion sizes.

The two were led to one of the back rooms, normally reserved for parties, but Josh didn't mind paying extra to use one of them, given the potentially sensitive subject matter he wanted to discuss with Matias. Once the two were seated, he was ready to order appetizers and beverages. "Can I get a lemonade to drink, and can we get a half-order of garlic bread, no cheese, and a half-order of pizza bread, please?" He waited for Matias to order his drink, making certain they were the only two in the room before Josh started talking to the standing member of the Elite Four.

"I appreciate you coming tonight, especially on such short notice," Josh thanked his partner from the dangerous mission. "I checked with the hospital the two young ones were taken to. They've been treated for extensive first and second degree burns, but should make a full recovery." As much as he wanted to let one of his Pokémon out to stretch and keep the two company, this room was much smaller than the rooms at the Beautifly and Dustox back at Fortree. Maybe his Jolteon could fit. Maybe.

"I'm sorry if this comes off as intrusive, but it's been burning in my mind since we got off the mountain." Josh's voice sounded better, at least; not perfect, but better. The lemonade was going to help, too, what with unlimited refills. He was going to go through a lot of it just to keep his throat cool. "When I asked who you were, I was more wondering how you got so close to that lava river without...y'know, melting? I took one breath of that air and thought I was gonna die." He just wanted a straight answer, but didn't expect to get one. "There's pushing human limits, and then there was...that."

{WC: 394}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Inky          Glaceon        Good
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 9:48:28 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

"whiskey for me, please."[break][break]

with their food and drinks ordered, matias settles comfortably into his seat, sighing as whatever lingering tension from the incident slowly starts to fade away.[break][break]

he supposes he could not avoid this question. it will come up again and again because josh is right. what happened down there was nothing short of a miracle.[break][break]

but miracles have become more common.[break][break]

"do you know what an avatar is?"

[attr="class","ooc"][break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-virizion"]

[newclass=".sixeyes"]--accent:#5d464e; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 2:44:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Unsurprisingly, Matias needed something adult after that trip. Team Rocket agents were always a wild card. Sometimes, they weren't competent at what they did; others were frighteningly good at their jobs. Given his past run-ins with the syndicate, both here and in Johto, he put the duo they had thwarted the plans of earlier that day about in the middle. Their server quickly returned with their drinks, letting them know it might be a bit of a wait on the pizza bread.

Once she was gone, Josh looked Matias in the eyes. "I have a very basic idea," he answered, using his phone to load the HNN news article about the Dawn of the Darkest Day. "Mostly from this and what has told me about them. They're...from what I understand, what is formed when one of Arceus' most sacred creations splits a shard of its essence to merge with a human?"

"Mythology was one of my favorite electives in high school, and Johtonian mythology in particular was one of my favorite things to study." Josh recounted the tale of the Burned and Tin Towers to Matias, then related a children's tale of three legendary warriors, chosen by the Johto Beasts: Raikou, Entei, and Suicune. The three warriors, knights in elemental shining armor, brought peace to an ancient Johto that nearly destroyed itself in the heat of war. "Am I anywhere in the ballpark?"

{WC: 244}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2022 16:03:01 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

"you're in the ballpark at least."[break][break]

matias is honest if not a little blunt but the situation calls for it. there's no use skirting around the topic for much longer, so he decides to delve right in after a long sip of his whiskey.[break][break]

"it's basically when a legendary pokemon bestows you with powers, essentially choosing you to represent them or their ideals in some shape or form. most often than not, they have a goal in mind. whether they share it with you is entirely up to them."

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".sixeyes .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 6:23:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So it was true; just like the tales of Johtonian myth, the gods of Hoenn had also chosen partners. Though from Matias' explanation, the relationship Avatars had with their...patrons, for the lack of a better word, were less symbiotic than the tales he had read indicated. Rather than the legendary (little l) Pokémon and the Chosen being equals, he made it seem more like the Avatar was a pawn; a mere chess piece in the Legendary (Capital L)'s plan. It left Josh in deep thought that may have aroused Matias' suspicion.

As Josh was about to speak, their waiter returned with the duo's appetizers. The toppings on the pizza bread in particular looked so gooey - just the way Josh liked it. He prompted them to order their main course. "I'd like an order of tortellini alfredo please. Oh, and can I also get another lemonade please?" he asked, finishing up his glass of it and sliding it to the end of the table.

Once Matias had placed his order and the waiter had left, Josh spoke up. "It's just like the three Legendary Warriors that rode Raikou, Entei, and Suicune in ages past. It may not be the most well-known Johtonian myth, but it's the one I loved most. With swords of lightning, fire, and crystal, they appeared in times of great peril, and ere supposedly a big reason Johto is even still standing today." Whether that actually happened or was just a fairy tale was obviously up for debate.

The mention of the bond being mostly ruled by the Legendary itself was a bit intimidating to think about. "It sounds like the relationship with a...Patron, for lack of a better word...is almost completely a one-way street. That's got to be harsh." He got to thinking about the events of the Dawn of the Darkest Day from what he read about them, having read reports of Avatars possessing extraordinary power. "That heat...does that make you...?" He immediately stopped his sentence. "D-d-d-does that make you...?" Again, visibly nervous to ask. It made too much sense. If Matias was the Avatar of a fire-type Pokémon--any fire-type would do--then it made perfect sense that he would be completely unaware of the suffocating heat that surrounded him.

{WC: 381}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 8:08:00 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

matias orders the same as josh just because he can't be bothered thinking of anything else to order. if the food's bad, then at least he has someone to blame but himself.[break][break]

"that's one way to look at it."[break][break]

he raises his glass, sipping, and after a moment of silence, he nods.[break][break]

"it does."[break][break]

an avatar.[break][break]

"i'll let you guess which one."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 8:40:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Time seemed to stop for Josh as soon as Matias confirmed his suspicion. It made all too much sense. He would have had a nervous breakdown if not for this being his first legendary encounter. He had seen the Sword of Iron Will wielded, and even ridden by, before. Yes, Arceus' most sacred creations had an intimidating presence to them, but it wasn't oppressive. And neither was Matias' presence.

Time seemed to flow normally again when Matias asked Josh which legendary Pokémon deemed him worthy of fusing a shard of itself with his acquaintance quickly turning friend. "What fire-type legendary Pokémon are there, even..." Only three came to mind. "There's...Moltres, the Titan of Fire, the immortal phoenix serving the Beast of the Sea, Lugia, and Entei's bitter rival. There's also the Great Ohe, Ho-oh. The patron deity of Johto." His skin tingled at the possibility of being in the presence of Ho-oh's Avatar. It was a reality he really didn't want to consider, as he would feel pressured to be unnaturally formal around the unknown Avatar he was sitting across the table from. He took a bite out of a piece of pizza bread, using the breather to collect his thoughts.

"...Entei, the Patron of the volcanic range well north of Ecruteak," he answered when he was done chewing. "It's Entei, isn't it?" Half of that was wishful thinking; it he met the Avatar of one of the Legendary Beasts, him as an ally would be the most useful tool he had yet in his pursuit of Raikou.

Of course, pursuit was only the beginning of the battle. He had hard time imagining the demands that would be made of him to impress the Beast enough to convince him that he was worthy of the title Avatar of Raikou. Would he have to withstand supersonic, or Arceus forbid, hypersonic, land speed? Would he have to battle a foe that used his own greatest weapon, his speed, against him? The possibilities raced through his mind. "It's gotta be Entei."

{WC: 351}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 9:03:20 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

josh makes good guesses; logical ones that could be true but just aren't for one reason or another. maybe it's because of timing, compatibility, or something else entirely.[break][break]

"you know, i always forget it isn't a fire-type."[break][break]

his glass lowers, settling on the table.[break][break]

"it was at mount chimney last year."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 16, 2022 18:53:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Wait, not a fire-type?" Josh asked, trying to brainstorm of what other Pokémon it could possibly be. As Josh was thinking about it, their server returned with two plates, each filled with a sizable pile of round, meat-and-cheese filled noodles drenched in white sauce, with a scattering of parsley on top. Josh stirred his pasta around to let some of the heat out of the bottom as he continued to think.

As a thin layer of steam rose from the bottom of the bowl as he stirred it, it came to the racer. Heat was not only associated with fire Pokémon. It was also associated with the red earth. Emphasis on red. And there was only one legendary Pokémon Josh knew of that had influence over that particular domain.

"...The titan of the Desolate Land, Groudon?" Josh asked, his eyes wide open as he took his first bite of pasta.

{WC: 155}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 10:51:28 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

silence blankets their conversation for a moment while the server returns with their food. matias takes the opportunity to reach for his food, digging in without much hesitation. it seems his indifference to heat has other uses as well.[break][break]

finally, matias looks back up, nodding.[break][break]

"that's the one."[break][break]

he stirs his pasta around only to twirl it around his fork.[break][break]

"not many are aware and i'd like to keep it that way."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2022 14:25:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh meal was, simply put, heavenly; truly a gift from the Great One, Ho-oh. Definitely another place to add to the list. Once the two were alone again, Matias gave Josh the big reveal. Realizing he was sitting right next to the very Avatar of the Titan of the Desolate Land was scary to think about. If his connection to Raikou was real and anything like other Avatars, that connection would give him all the strengths of Electric-type Pokémon, yes, but it would also give him the weaknesses of those Pokémon. If so, all it took was a single shard of PRECIPICE BLADES to severely injure him.

The relief is Matias appeared to be on his side.

"It's safe with me. If anyone asks, this conversation never happened. Because...I..." He shook his head. "while I'm not an Avatar yet, I am pursuing a legendary Pokémon myself. Have been for years. The only people that know are a small group of Rangers and a few people in my inner circle. One of them is on the Council. So I am sure the League is fully aware by now. I just don't want this getting into the hands of a bad actor. That's all. I'm sure that why you've been so reluctant to talk about this, too."

Josh took a sip of his lemonade and a deep breath.

"Has a person named Maldacena made the news recently? I haven't been able to keep up with current events fully, between my work as a Ranger and as a Gym Leader." Though it sounded like he was dancing around the subject, in his mind, Josh was committed to sharing his dream with Matias.

{WC: 292}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 4:17:32 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

"people assume i'm already an avatar with virizion, so the only reason i've been reluctant to share is that i'd like the added element of surprise next time we're in a fight."[break][break]

which will be soon. rocket, sea hoenn, whoever it is, matias will be ready. in fact, he's been looking forward to it.[break][break]

another forkful of his pasta later and he's finished. the plate is pushed away, relinquished for what remains of his whiskey.[break][break]

"no. as far as i'm aware the last we saw of maldacena was when we were in the cloud."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 20, 2022 23:57:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Being favored by a legendary Pokémon was already a million to one chance. To be favored by two was unheard of in Johtonian lore. Bearing the burden of a single sacred creation would overwhelm the vast majority of people. To be able to balance the whims of two, though? In his eyes, the odds of any human in the history of the race's existence befriending two different, unrelated legendary Pokémon were slim to none.

Unable to eat much more than half of his pasta, he put the rest of it in a foam box to be reheated at a later date. He listened to Matias' story about Maldacena, scooping up the remaining white sauce with a piece or two of garlic bread. "Wait, you were there, too?! Okay, what I'm about to say will make a lot more sense then."

He shared his morbid, tale of how he saw all six of his Pokémon dead projecting his Johtonian idol. "Before this, my reasons for my pursuit have been selfish, and I feel awful about it. But ever since leaving the Cloud, my main reason for my pursuit is...Maldacena said that is the future. A future that refuses to be changed. I don't believe him. I firmly believe that there is no future that cannot be changed."

Tears were starting to drip down Josh's eyes. Despite telling dozen of Rangers his story, it was still a traumatic and difficult story to tell. "As a Johtonian, the Tin and Brass Towers and the stories behind them have meant a lot to me since I was young. Not too long after I became a trainer, maybe a couple of years after, I have felt like I've had a special connection to Raikou."

Josh let the emotions bottled up within him loose, his eyes beading. "Since leaving the Cloud, that connection has only grown stronger, I feel. That deep connection is why I became a Pokémon racer. It's why I became a Ranger, And ultimately, it's why I became a Gym Leader. It's why I am so...committed to my ultimate goal that will help prevent Maldacena's future from happening. Even if it comes at the price of part of my free will." He sniffed a couple of times as he finished sipping his lemonade.

"I want to pursue, befriend, and ride Raikou. I want to align myself with his idea of a new and safe Hoenn."

"I want Raikou to choose me as his Avatar."

{WC: 422}
{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,098 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 9:20:50 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","sixeyes"]
[attr="class","top"]

matias remembers the incidents of the cloud very well. everything from maldacena's revelation to josh's outburst over a particular legendary. it's why, when the reveal finally comes, matias' expression remains unchanged.[break][break]

"you have a noble goal."[break][break]

even if it isn't a realistic one. but then again, the same could be said for most of the current avatars and how they came across their patrons. sometimes, all it takes is a little luck.[break][break]

he sighs, downing the rest of his drink.[break][break]

"i would be wary of anything maldacena says. they have no stake in our world beyond having a little fun."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,042 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 1:57:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Josh was about to respond to Matias' comments about Maldacena, he stopped himself when he saw their waiter come by with their checks. He knew that Matias' check was the higher cost one because of the alcohol. "Customer service was wonderful. Thank you. I'll definitely be back here in the future." 30 PD was an expensive night out, but it was worth it. It included a generous tip, too. The leftovers would be enough for about one and a half meals. As he left his tab with the receipt, Raikou's words came to his mind again. This was the first time he had voiced them to anyone else.

"Your COURAGE is admirable, but you sorely lack the FORESIGHT to use it. Your CONFIDENCE is admirable, but you sorely lack the JUDGMENT to use it. Your AMBITION is admirable, but you sorely lack the INSIGHT to use it." Though by now he had forgotten the rest of the horrible nightmare, he had remembered Raikou's words well. "That's what Raikou told me the day I gave up the Gym Challenge to start Ranging. Or at least what I think was Raikou."

"I have a long ways to go, though," he continued, standing up and pushing his chair in, his to-go box in hand. "There's the act of doing what he's already asked me to do. Then there's learning enough about to him to even know how to chase him." He had plenty of people on his side to help him with that. He had Matias. He had . He had and the rest of the Gym Leaders. He even had and the vast resources of RangerNet to help him.

"And lastly, there's the act of getting physically ready. I can't imagine it. How would you even chase a Pokémon that, in short bursts, can run at close to the speed of sound?" Even post-chase, there was a hidden fifth part he had not yet considered. How would a mere mortal hold on to a mount that ran at almost the speed of sound? That was a question he would have to eventually answer, but not for a long time.

{WC: 361}
{PC: 8}