6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Battle Masters [GYM][C/Callan]
POSTED ON Oct 27, 2022 17:58:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
In six fleeting weeks, Josh had accomplished a lot as a Gym Leader. His unique non-traditional challenge of a Pokemon race kept his Gym full of challengers who walked away building a much closer relationship with their trusted partners, though the vast majority of them did not walk away with Badges due to the tremendous difficulty of the lesson his Gym was trying to teach. It was also a lesson not everyone could learn; some people simply didn't have the physical reaction time to handle the more difficult courses he thrust multi-Badge holders into. While it was fun for both the trainer and their Pokemon, it was also effective at keeping his metrics within the League's range. It did, however, mask a problem that his recent battles with Elite Four and brought to light.

His battle skills, perhaps the most important lesson to teach, were lacking.

That was what he was at Lilycove Gym for: not a Gym battle with the Leader, but help in shoring up the specific weaknesses of his battle strategy. TRICK ROOM, and being denied his speed advantage in general, were some of the biggest weaknesses he had, and he felt coming to a true battle savant was the best way to get better in battle situations he was uncomfortable in.

Arriving at the Gym on his Manectric's back, Josh dismounted and entered the lobby alongside his Pokemon. He took a seat after checking in for his appointment, registering much like a challenger would despite this not being an official Gym Challenge. Now, where was the Lilycove Leader at?

{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
I’d rather watch your star explode
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2022 8:39:55 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
It did not take long for Calan to reach Josh. After a quick call from his receptionist, the newly minted Elite Four stepped out of the gym's inner sections to meet the gym leader. "Josh, hey." He replied, "Some good and bad news on the meteor, Team Rocket will be making a few moves in regards to our Primal Points."

Though the specifics, he'd not be able to share as of yet. "Bad news is that there will be interference on our end, good news is that we have countermeasures in place." But today was not about that, not yet anyway. "We're going to do some training, yes?"

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Playfair Display]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 1, 2022 5:50:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Saber, the Manectric that Josh rode to the Gym on, greeted Callan with a friendly bark before sliding to a stop near him. The member of the Elite Four came with good news and bad news. "Does not surprise me one bit." He made sure there was no one surrounding him before continuing, as part of the information related to the meteoroid operation was privy only to Gym Leaders and up. "I have a Luxray that will be able to activate the beacon when we get the signal from the Commish." He already got the secure email from League HQ about it.

"But you are correct, that's why we're here." He brought a printed copy of the League performance report with him to reference as the training went on. "So the more I've sat down to study the report, the more I'm beginning to realize that the real culprit here is TRICK ROOM. In the space of a TRICK ROOM, the very concept of speed is inverted. The slowest Pokémon move like the fastest of Thunderbolts, and the fastest Pokémon lunge at their foes in slow motion. Obviously it's a serious threat against a Gym Leader whose entire focus is gaining advantage through speed."

Josh had enough experience to understand that his goal as a Gym Leader was not to win battles. His role in the Hoenn League was as a mentor and a teacher. Win or lose, his goal was to make sure each and every challenger either understood the lessons his Gym was trying to teach, or direct them toward resources that would enable them to understand said lessons. "An important aspect of being a Gym Leader is not only understanding the niche your Gym has carved out, and not only understanding the most common ways challengers have to defeat your advertised battle strategy, but also demonstrating the knowledge to counter their strategy." He exhaled deeply. "Which is why I've come to you. I want to pick your brain on the best ways to, as a trainer who relies on speed, deal with a Pokémon team revolving around TRICK ROOM while still using such speedy Pokémon."

{WC: 361}
{PC: 2}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Nitro         Gogoat         Good
Twilight      Absol          Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Nov 4, 2022 3:39:00 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Battling, it was a nice set of contrast to take away Callan's bitter thoughts about the future, and right now he could use the distraction. "I think I'd like that, If you'd like then we can work on a TRICK ROOM strategy." He had fortunately just the Pokemon for it. Callan moved towards the reception's PC, inputting his personal trainer details and taking out a Pokeball.

He turns towards Josh and nods, "Come inside the gym when you've got your team. I imagine it'd be nice to have ideas put into practice."

Callan's gym is a simple warehouse constructed with the standards fit to a Gym's requirements. It was one of the most barebones fields that was available, but it got the job done. Despite his career as a rock star, Callan as a Gym Leader or an Elite Four only focused on the value of Pokemon Battles without a focus on the spectacle. Or perhaps, it served as a foil to his otherwise hectic life with the overindulgent.

Callan released his Pokemon out on the field.

Charlie absently relaxed on the field, seating itself down against its massive Shellder tail as it patiently awaited the exercise incoming. "This is Charlie, he'll be setting up the Trick Room." Callan introduced, turning towards Josh. "How would you like to do this, would you like a practice battle? Or do you want to practice in another manner?"

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2022 16:11:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had come prepared, bringing his six best fighters with him. These were the six he would go to war with Team Rocket with, when the call of duty came. As a Gym Leader, being made to fight on the front lines was far from an if. It was absolutely a when. He followed the young Elite Four member into a warehouse that served as a regulation-sized Gym. Josh looked a bit puzzled; for a rock star, this seemed a bit too bare bonds of an arena. No stands, almost no technology, no glitz at all. Perhaps the TERAVOLT member didn't enjoy the spotlight after all? It was certainly functional, and would at the very least let both challenger and Leader put their full focus on the battle.

As Charlie the Slowbro prepared to set up the TRICK ROOM that would presumably cover the bounds of the entire arena, Callan proposed the best way would be to have a practice battle. "Experience is the greatest teacher, after all. I think a practice battle would be wonderful," the Mauville Leader agreed. "But before we get started, do you remember our last battle? Is there anything that immediately comes to mind that you think would be good at circumventing TRICK ROOM? Because I won't mix words. There are days I wish it suffered the same fate as PERISH SONG."

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2022 16:58:22 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"I think it's always going to be a strategy for challengers to obtain an advantage with their environment." Callan replied, "But I think using Trick Room is inherently a risky tactic. It has the absolute lowest priority of all moves outside of a few fringe ones, and those who use it will most likely build their battles around it." Callan began, running a thumb over his chin and considering the last battle that they had started with.

"If I were you, I would begin with Twilight using Taunt, which prevents a lot more than just Trick Room, it stops setup moves like Swords Dance, or Nasty Plot. It prevents the infliction of status, like the usage of Hypnosis, removes the ability for opponents to Protect or Detect. it allows you to make the flow of the battle predictable so that you can maintain the flow of the battle."

Callan paused. "But if a Trick Room is set up, I assume the most viable option is to be able to weather it as much as possible, rather than try to win during the setup. It lasts a while, so it is quite an uphill battle." Callan paused, "Those are my thoughts, you could teach a few of your Pokemon the move Protect, which allows you to defend your Pokemon, and use your priority moves to avoid damage by dodging, as those are unaffected by Trick Room. Or alternatively, have something fast and bulky on your team."

But regardless of what he thought, Callan would gesture towards his Slowbro. "Care to test out either scenario?"

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2022 19:09:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
TRICK ROOM teams were something Josh had become more than familiar with. It was by far the tactic he had lost the most Gym battles to. Most of the rest of his losses were to extremely tough teams, able to withstand his swft blows and fight back after his Pokémon had run out of steam. TAUNT was quite the good idea; with how fast his Pokémon were, some well-timed goading would solve a lot of his problems. "That solves a lot more than the speed disadvantage. I never thought about how useful a few cutting words would be. Perhaps the pen really is mightier than the sword," the Mauville Leader laughed. "Now it's just a matter of learning which Pokémon can easily set it up. From what I've gathered, it's mostly Psychic, Ghost, and Dark-types. Ones associated with the paranormal, it seems."

What more interested Josh was not the ways of stopping TRICK ROOM, but the ways of mitigating the distorting space once it had already surrounded the arena's bounds. It was something he had learned the hard way; its size covered an entire regulation-sized Gym arena, and there would be no escaping it without going out of bounds and incurring Pokémon disqualifications. Weathering the storm would almost certainly require use of TAUNT, and he would almost certainly need to teach the technique to more of his team if he wanted to make it reliable. At the speed his battles typically went, TRICK ROOM typically lasted for the whole match.

The solution Callan mentioned hit Josh like a Beast charging him at full speed. He wasn't expecting the solution to such a problem to be so simple. "So..." he trailed off. "So you're saying that QUICK ATTACK and the like are unaffected by TRICK ROOM? I thought all this time that they would be impossibly slow in there!" The Elite Four member offered a test of both scenarios. "I'd be down, but preventing TRICK ROOM from going up in the first place just seems like memorizing which Pokémon most commonly use it. So how about we first work on fighting within the distortions first?" Josh suggested.

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 2:18:22 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
"I would be hesitant to clarify it as such." Callan responded, "It is a tool trainers can use against you, that's all."

Callan's Slowbro, Charlie, vacantly stares at the open battlefield for just a moment, before the slightest twitch of its ear betrays that it had been focusing its mind on a matter this entire time. The room flooded with tiles of iridescent light, square tiles lined the floor, the ceiling, the walls as the dimensions of space and time seemingly altered. Callan's hair bristled as he felt the shifts in the dimension invert movements upon itself.

"Trick Room is set up, Josh." Callan began, eying the gym leader. "I'd also wager that those who do set up trick room typically have a significant amount of defensive bulk, such as Charlie here, it would be difficult to handle in a straight up fight outside of weathering." Then again, Josh wasn't here to win against a traditional challenger, only test their capacity.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 8:43:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Callan was right. While it was a general rule of thumb, it didn't cover every Pokémon capable of using the move. Perhaps Josh was also jaded by most of his losses being to TRICK ROOM teams specifically engineered to defeat his Gym. After all, Hoenn's Gym Challenges were among the toughest in the world! He thought his own challenge was plenty tough, but clearly it wasn't tough enough if the Council was chewing him out over it!

His discussion was also starting to expose to his subconscious mind another great flaw in his thinking. Josh had a tendency to view things in black and white. No in-betweens: everything was either one extreme or the other. "Right. It's a tool in your toolbox more than anything," the fledgling Gym Leader agreed. "It just feels like the move is the be all, end all of most of the problems I've been having. It feels like it's just unbeatable, with the Pokémon my Gym limits me to using. I think I have a lot of homework, and searching for Pokémon on top of that, ahead of me."

Josh shook his head as the twisted dimensions materialized. Other than the tiles of light, it looked very similar to the Space-Time Distortions that has popped up around Hoenn. It felt indescribably alien to Josh, though he had been used to it for quite a while. He had already suffered dozens of defeats to the move as a Gym Leader. Now was the time to turn the tide, get his metrics back to where they belonged, and make a bid to be the most successful Gym Leader in Hoenn.

He sent out two of his fastest, strongest Pokémon: Saber the Manectric, and Twilight the Absol. "Alright, let's put this into practice!" The two nodded, the Manectric letting out a confident bark. The two flexed their legs and lunged into the pocket dimension covering the arena's bounds. The moment the two entered, they went from being blurs to looking like they were charging in slow motion. "When the time is right, try to use your QUICK ATTACK, like Callan suggested," he asked of both his Pokémon, though of course they needed opponents.

{WC: 370}
{PC: 5}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
Aslan          Pyroar          Good
Bladestorm     Skarmory        Good
Nitro          Gogoat          Good
Twilight       Absol           Good
Resheph        Dragonair       Good
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 2:02:24 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Slowbro was in fact the Pokemon that Callan was going to use against Josh's Pokemon. Having set up TRICK ROOM, Callan would speak his first command: "SCALD."

With the TRICK ROOM significantly boosting the Slowbro's speed, the jet stream of boiling hot water fires towards Josh's ABSOL, threatening the Pokemon unless it managed to come up with a way to avoid the damage.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 19, 2022 5:28:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
And with that, the dice were cast. Charlie was blistering fast inside the warped space that was the TRICK ROOM-encased battleground. It stretched the arena's entire bounds, all the way to its white lines. Unlike at his own Gym, where he could at least attack from the outside and remain mobile, here he was on the Elite Four's terms. Terms that left the speed-oriented combatant at a severe disadvantage.

But today was not about winning. The moment he challenged Callan in his element, he knew he was to lose. Today was about learning. "I've already learned much even before our battle started," Josh remarked. "Never did I think a few goading words would be so powerful. I'm going to have to talk to and his company about playing a direct bulk order for TAUNT syringes."

Even if Josh slipped and didn't predict a challenger's use of it correctly, he still had options. One such option he already had, which Callan mentioned was weathering. "Normally, you would consider weathering defensive, yes? But you may recall from our battle that I have an offensive way to do so." He cupped his hands outward from his mouth and cried toward his two large Pokémon. "Now!"

Josh's reaction to Charlie's SCALDing surge was as instant as a human could do so. The two swift Pokémon lazily flexed their legs back, crouching then assuming lunging stances. What would have been a split second process looked like it was happening in slow motion. That lengthened wind-up was all Charlie needed to prevent the Absol from completely dodging the surge of water and steam, burning claws and paws coming at Charlie in a blur.

Josh's offensive way to weather TRICK ROOM was a tactic ever familiar to Callan if he had remembered their battle or previous battles: his Manectric's THOUSAND CUT JOUST. While not a proper Z-Move, the tactic felt like one. Every slice of the Manectric's claws came just as fast as before, the blur of each individual QUICK ATTACK unaffected by the warped space. The attacks were still slower than normal, though; every pivoting motion the Manectric made to transition to the next QUICK ATTACK of the Joust was greatly exaggerated, leaving the electric-type vulnerable between cuts.

{WC: 376}
{PC: 6}

NAME            SPECIES          STATUS
Saber           Manectric        Good
Aslan           Pyroar           Good
Bladestorm      Skarmory         Good
Nitro           Gogoat           Good
Twilight        Absol            Fair | Burn
Resheph         Dragonair        Good
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 14:32:16 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
The two shot out from either side, firing out all cylinders like a weave of death surrounding Charlie. Even amidst its impressive bulk the flitting strieks take their toll and the Slowbro's body is inflicted with wounds. Still it remains, seated, seemingly unfeeling as it successively becomes more and more injured. The openings were there, but Callan did not order an attack.

"Slack Off." Callan replied, as his Slowbro would recover its wounds from the two multi-strike hitting damage, not to full capacity, but up to a certain point. "Stop holding back, Josh." Callan began, his speech grimmer than before. "Is that how low you think of me? Your Elite Four? That I'm not able to handle you at your best?" He began. "You and I know full well that was the sole reason our fight went so easily in your gym fight."

His arms extend to his side, his eyes red with passion. "CRUSH ME!" He roared. "Stop holding back because you're afraid of hurting other's feelings! Show me my confidence in you as a Gym Leader wasn't misplaced!"

"PSYCHIC!" Callan roared. And as he did, the SLowbro retaliated, a full force of Psychic Power barrelled forwards like a shockwave towards the Manectric, if struck, it would send the Pokemon into the wall compounded against the reduced speed. "Stop making excuses for why you can't win a fight. You're at a disadvantage, so what?! Trick Room? Taunt? Tactics? That doesn't matter! The greatest trainer will make ANY situation work for them, your Pokemon place their trust in you Josh, don't betray them by giving up at the start!"

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 18:11:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Josh had learned, even a confounding barrage would not be able to take down very many Pokémon that could make use of TRICK ROOM well. Whether physically, mentally, or even spiritually, they were tough, some possessing nearly impenetrable defenses. Under its influence, Callan's Slowbro was just as lightning fast as the very swiftest of Josh's racing team, able to complete the motions for launching a potent PSYCHIC shockwave in a split second.

Understanding the distinction between an attack's wind-up and the attack itself was the key to beating a TRICK ROOM that had already been established, as it was only the wind-up time that was reversed. Just as he was beginning to see this, the shockwave had struck Saber and Twilight, sending the Electric-type flying across the battle court and out of bounds with a loud thud once it had left the confines of the warped dimensions. Even Twilight was not fully immune to the Psychic-type attack, the psychic-type's assault able to pierce through the Absol's defenses.

As he was about to say something to Callan, the standing Elite Four member laced his tongue with some truly scathing words that pierced his heart with a blade sharper than anything man had ever crafted. And every single word was true. Josh was holding back, but not for the reason Callan was saying. He had been under the understanding that the purpose of today's battle was to learn how to fight under TRICK ROOM conditions, not to win. As the speech went on, it tore his mind to shreds.

He had lost it.

With a scream, Josh pinched his fingers over the KEY STONE of his MEGA GLOVE, Twilight sounding a loud shout of her own. Shrugging off her burn from being bathed in the purple of light of MEGA EVOLUTION, she grew in size, sprouting wing-like tufts from her shoulders. While she was incapable of flight in this form, her imposing demeanor and increased claw sharpness made her nothing to be trifled with.

"Twilight, etch your true feelings onto that Slowbro's skin, NOW!" the racer's loud tirade continued. "AND MAKE SURE IT NEVER FORGETS THIS!" The dark-type Illumina Pokémon lunged toward Callan's Slowbro in seemingly slow motion, its forehead blade filled with the energy of both light and darkness as it attempted to brutally NIGHT SLASH, aiming for a critical hit.

{WC: 393}
{PC: 7}

Twilight        M-Absol          Fair
close tab

played by

toppa

Supernova Shredder
He/Him
march 21
mauville city
heterosexual
music artist
Trainer
an anxious object
single
6’3” height
6’3” height
awards
1,560 posts
Callan Young DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @toppa
Callan Young
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2022 11:03:36 GMT
Callan Young Avatar
Anger, he understood, encouraged even. Cruelty towards Pokemon however, was a different story. "TELEPORT." Callan ordered, Slowbro shifting out of existence with its improved speed thanks to Trick Room. Appearing a respectable six to seven meters to Twilight's right side.

The blade of Night Slash would pass through thin air. He would not wish to have his Slowbro be inflicted with permanent damage. This was still a League regulated Pokemon battle after all. "SCALD!" Callan roared. Jet hot water fired from the Slowbro's lips again, aiming towards Twilight. It would not be as powerful as before, with Twilight's increased parameters due to its mega-evolution.

So this was Josh Devlin, when pricked. The Mauville Gym Leader had made the correct decision through Mega Evolution, it had lost its BURN status which would have reduced its attack, and it gained power in ever other avenue of itself which would grant it survivability. Furthermore, it was healed of its previous damage.

Yes, this was what he wanted to see. "I see now why you try so hard to limit yourself, Devlin." Yes, those emotions were intense, too intense for a normal outlet. Even in the midst of congregated and controlled violence, it was the veil that allowed the young man the ability to continue a normal life.

That was what made him powerful. This was the Devlin he wanted to battle. The problem however, was that the boy was letting his emotions control him, rather than harnessing it to fuel his competitiveness. But everyone had to start somewhere.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,047 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2022 20:43:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The speed at which Callan reacted reflected him being in a life-threatening situation. After all, his Slowbro was in real danger, what with where Twilight's horn-blade was aimed. It could easily have left a permanent wound on the Psychic-type. The anger that boiled over Josh was unwarranted, but the Absol didn't know that! The two were so in sync that she was trusting of her trainer to a fault. Not receiving a command from her yelling trainer still lost in his anger, the Mega Evolved Absol lunged toward Callan's Slowbro, forehead blade raised and ready to NIGHT SLASH the pink Pokémon.

Whether or not her blade was quick enough, or in this case slow enough, to connect, the surge of steaming water sending Twilight flying. Josh had to duck out of the way to avoid the Dark-type flying toward his upper body. His lapse of judgment had caused his Absol to get badly hurt, and Saber was far too fast to be able to effectivly fight inside the TRICK ROOM.

While Josh wasn't ignoring Callan, he was too emotionally heated to give a proper rebuttal. This was a side of himself he loathed. His Gym Challenge was supposed to be about staying level-headed under pressure, yet under the pressure Callan had pressed upon him, he cracked. Some Gym Leader he was; he couldn't even practice what he preached. What a hypocrite he felt like he was... or would feel, once he came down from the emotional high.

He did have one more Pokémon that could effectively fight the water-type. "Nitro!" Josh cried as he released a Gogoat to take the Absol's place. "Charge at Slowbro with your HORN LEECH!" The grass-type lowered his head and started bounding toward the Slowbro, the effect the TRICK ROOM had on his speed almost immeasurable.

{WC: 303}
{PC: 8}

Twilight        M-Absol          KO