6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All Roads Converge [C][S/Thomas]
POSTED ON Nov 8, 2022 21:02:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
By the time Josh had finished his Gym Challenges for the day, it was close to sundown. The excitement was just starting, though! To begin his weekend, he would be meeting Daisuke, an old acquaintance from early in his Ranger days while he was still a Rookie. He wasn't just visiting to catch up, though; he had some serious business to discuss. Throughout his previous discussions with high ranking League members, including , , , among others, one name kept coming up.

Daisuke.

While half of Josh's roads led to , the other half seemed to lead to this individual. As he approached the specified meeting coordinates that were Daisuke's ranch, it was evident there was more to this man than meets the eye. The expansive property was a sign that at the very least he was wealthy. To be more recognizable, he flew toward the Verdanturf ranch on Ares, the Charizard he flew on the last time they met, and at a low altitude at that.

{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
Ares           Charizard       Good
Bladestorm     Skarmory        Good
Kokusho        Hydreigon       Good
Resheph        Dragonair       Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 0:38:59 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

A familiar Charizard would end up flying onto the Ranch grounds. Not long after, a horde of Audino would greet the duo. The innocent pink healers were curious about the visitor. The more sociable ones, like Pulse, Petunia, and Dede, would be the first to greet the man, while the shyer ones, like Bunni and Audrey, would hang back and let the trio get a feel for the man.

"You must be Josh Devlin.", a voice would call out to the man.

Today, Josh wouldn't be greeted by Daisuke, but by the owner of the Ranch, and the man with the information he wanted himself, Thomas Benoit. Though they were in the same place during the Cyberchase Conundrum, the two hadn't formerly introduced themselves to one another. But what Josh might notice was the scar on the side of his face, one that was clearly recent.

"Daisuke told me much about you, how he found himself aiding you in evacuating some visitors to Mt. Pyre during a storm.", he'd begin. "Daisuke's out, but if I can help you, I'd be happy to.", he'd offer the Gym Leader.

tags:
notes: tl;dr

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 21:22:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Josh and Ares landed and the racer dismounted, he found himself surrounded by Audino; some were shy, yet others were more approachable. He gave the more sociable ones gentle pats on the head before swapping out his Charizard for his Manectric, Saber barking toward Thomas.

"That would be me, Daisuke!" Josh greeted the ranch's owner. "How you--" As it turned out, he wasn't speaking to Daisuke directly. "From Mount Pyre to Lilycove, but yes," he confirmed. "In Arceus-awful weather, mind you. Really don't want to to have to fly in weather like that again." If Ares was out of his Poké Ball, he may have flown into another one of his fits after his trainer's reminiscing.

"Oh, I thought you were him! I'm sorry!" Josh apologized to Thomas for calling him by the wrong name. "Senior Ranger Devlin or Gym Leader Devlin, but Josh is what I go by. What about you?" he asked. "This is Saber, my closest partner. He was my first Pokémon. And the Charizard's name is Ares." He gestured toward the saddled Manectric, who let out a greeting bark.

{WC: 185}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2022 2:47:04 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

As Josh accidentally called him Daisuke, and caught himself, the Kalosian couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yes, he told me all about that. Sounded like a real shitshow, but you all got through that in one piece, and that's what matters.", he'd reply to Josh.

"Don't worry about it.", the former Elite Four would reassure the Ranger.

"Just call me Thomas. It's finally nice to meet you.", he'd tell him. He looked over at the Charizard, recognizing the dragon from the mission. He had to wonder if the Charizard recognized him in turn. "Daisuke told me about Ares, too. It's nice to meet you, as well.", he'd tell Josh, greeting the dragon with a bow, before offering his hand for the electric dog to sniff, before offering to pet him. "Nice to meet you, Saber.", he'd tell the Manectric with a smile.

If Saber accepted his offer, Thomas would pet the dog gently. If not, that would be that.

"So, what brings you to my Ranch today?", Thomas would inquire.

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2022 17:53:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was a good thing Ares was so familiar with Thomas from their rescue. The bow would not have been well-received otherwise. Ares reached toward Thomas and gave him a pat on the shoulder for his reverence. "You're really good with dragons, Thomas. Usually Ares here doesn't take to strangers well unless it's real business." Thomas may have felt a strong shock from trying to pet the Manectric, though Saber appreciated the affection all the same. "Careful! I have to have rubber gloves on when I pet him. It's why he has to have a saddle. Trying to ride an electric Pokémon without one is just asking for trouble."

He would, again, have to ignore his own advice if he wanted to live his dream. He highly doubted Raikou would be willing to be fitted with riding gear even if the Beast joined him. "Right, the reason I'm here. For a long time, both here and in Johto, I've been chasing the legendary Pokémon Raikou. I've talked about it and the AQUA Initiative with a number of people, many of which are in the upper echelons of the League." and came to mind, but he wasn't yet certain he could share those names. "The more people I talked to, the more your name kept coming up."

{WC: 220}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 1:30:17 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"Of course, I've raised my fair share of them.", he'd tell Josh.

Upon feeling the shock, Thomas would recall his hand back quickly. Thomas felt more embarrassment from the shock than anything. "Got ahead of myself.", he muttered, before pulling out a glove from his pocket. He'd put it on, and continue to pet the Manectric, this time far better equipped.

"Have you tried lining your clothing with carbon tape?", he'd ask. "Ever since the rescue of the Commissioner, I've lined every piece of clothing I could with carbon tape.", he'd add.

Thomas listened as the black-haired man explained his reasoning for being there. "I see.", he'd start. "I used to be a part of the AQUA Initiative, as one of those who acted as a witness to the initial contracts.", he'd explain. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you interested in pursuing Raikou?", he'd ask.

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 17:04:08 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed Thomas was just too antsy to give Saber some much-needed love. No big deal - that was a mistake anyone, particularly those not around electric-types frequently, could make. The suggestion of carbon tape was simple yet brilliant. "Wow, I'd never thought of that before! I'll need to lace my clothes with the stuff." He wasn't sure how his Pokémon would take the static-suppressing measure, but there was only one way to find out. Might be a good suggestion for his Gym Trainers too, given Mauville Gym's slant toward electric-types.

"You were on the contract? No wonder your name kept coming up," Josh replied. "Then I can trust you with this. Being a native Johtonian, it might make more sense to you. Ever since I was a young one, before I became a trainer, I've admired Raikou for being the fastest land Pokémon in the world. Ultimately, it's why I became a trainer in the first place. Then, a Pokémon racer. Around the middle of the summer, I came to Hoenn to participate in a race. I arrived the day before this damn barrier locked us in."

He took a deep breath, Saber's eyes welling up. No matter how many times the Manectric heard the story, it moved him. It seemed both their greatest desires coincided. "How familiar are you with the Cloud?"

{WC: 226}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2022 18:03:17 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"It took me getting blasted with a Discharge while rappelling into a warehouse from the roof to start doing that.", he'd tell the Gym Leader with a chuckle.

He would hear out the Gym Leader as he told him about his childhood fascination with Raikou. As he mentioned coming in a day before the Dome locked them in, Thomas frowned solemnly.

"I was there, actually.", he'd answer Josh. "I was also outed as Yveltal's former Avatar that day, thanks to the events in the Cloud.", he'd reveal to the Gym Leader.

"If you were to bond with Raikou on that level, you'd be granted great power. Though be warned, the Legendary Pokemon can be fickle.", he'd add, with a frown. "Yveltal abandoned me out of the blue about a year ago. I still don't know why.", he'd continue, some hurt clearly present in his voice.

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2022 22:51:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh chuckled alongside Thomas as he heard the man's reasoning. It made sense, too! After all, the human body conducted electricity, and was the primary reason why not many people dared to ride a Pokémon like Manectric. Electric-types were incredibly speedy, but the risk of being inadvertently shocked was greater than most were willing to tolerate.

"Wait, you were there, too? Did you see the future there?" Josh asked. If Thomas said he didn't see the future, Josh would fill him in, including the traumatic experience where he saw his entire main squad of Pokémon, dead, next to the corpse of Raikou pierced by spears of light. "And that is why I chase Raikou: to prevent that future from happening. I don't want to see Raikou die like that."

When Thomas revealed that he was a former Avatar, Josh's eyes lit up. No wonder so many high-ranking Leaguers referred him here. "I'm aware. When I met Melody and Cobalion, the Sword of Iron Will, it wouldn't do anything but stare at me like I was an enemy. Yveltal, though? I don't know a lot about it. What did bonding with Yveltal let you do?" He started to daydream about what powers Raikou could grant him. Perhaps super speed of his own, or making his Pokémon fast?

{WC: 219}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 0:21:51 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"I saw the past.", he would tell Josh. "I saw a strange, ethereal Pokemon. Like a quadruped shadow with red eyes. It was a haunting sight, for sure.", he'd tell Josh. "Tell me, what did the future entail?", he'd inquire.

Once he got his answer, he'd listen to the dark-haired man further. "I see. I can't really say much about that myself, unfortunately.", he'd tell Josh.

"Yveltal restored my right eye, which had been burnt during a rescue operation during Rocket's occupation of Slateport.", he'd begin. "That restored eye was in the form of a Shinigami Eye, which allowed me to gauge the vitality of living creatures. It also allowed me to identify Avatars, Shadow Pokemon, and those that Yveltal deemed as having cheated death.", he'd continue.

"Other than that, another of Yveltal's power was that Dark-type attacks used by Dark-types would bypass resistances to the Dark. And that I could turn a Pokemon under my command into a Dark-type at will.", he'd continue.

"And as you probably saw in the Cloud, I could induce petrification by touch. I could also petrify myself, to create a nigh indestructible shell.", he'd conclude.

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 18:02:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed the past was terrifying, just like the future Josh saw. "It was... awful. Every legendary Pokémon, except for one, had these spears of light skewering them, sprawled over a lifeless, rocky landscape. Almost like the moon's surface. I even saw Raikou and every single Pokémon I own, dead in the same way. Then I saw this white, vaguely equine, majestic creature that cast beams of annihilating light all over us. I almost lost Saber that day." He started sobbing, babbling incoherently after a while about Raikou and his main six Pokémon. There was only one clear phrase that came out of his mouth. "And that's... that's why I want to be Raikou's Avatar. TO STOP THAT FUTURE FROM HAPPENING!"

Thomas' recounting of what his powers were under Yveltal was equally sobering, and brought Josh back down to earth. "For a human to have that kind of power... to end someone's life by encasing them in stone with but a single touch... something in me just feels sick about a human being able to do that. It's just like... I feel humans really shouldn't be allowed to wield that kind of power. I'd be apprehensive to use it. Are most of them like that?"

{WC: 208}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 18:15:09 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Thomas listened to Josh's account of the future patiently. A white equine Pokemon wiping out all life with beams of light? Could it have been related to the shadowy being he encountered in the Past? It was certainly worth investigating, if he could even find information on such Pokemon.

"I should clarify, not ending their lives, but putting them on pause. Before me and my - counterpart - were given Yveltal's blessing, we had been petrified for a week, after giving our lifeforce to give Yveltal the strength to fend off a giant Nihilego that attempted to assimilate them.", he would begin. "That week felt like only a moment encased in stone, and I had to break myself free.", he would elaborate on the petrification.

"I rarely used the powers myself, knowing just how great they were, and what a target they'd put on me. Very few knew of my status, until that day in the Cloud.", he'd tell Josh.

"Yes, the Legendary Pokemon seem to grant their Avatars great power.", he'd begin. "But if it helps set you on the right path, one Avatar, , has the power to summon the three Legendary Beasts, Entei, Suicune, and Raikou. I watched him summon them during the Battle of Mauville, during the Megalopolan War.", he'd reveal to Josh.

"If you want to get close to Raikou, Kyle would be the one to speak to. He's a good man, and I'd imagine he'd be in agreement with you, especially if he knew of the Future looming over us."

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2023 2:11:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So it wasn't a true death; it was like being put in cryogenie stasis, but in stone. "That's still scary to think about. And that's all the more reason I want to be Raikou's Avatar. That meteor is on a collision course with Hoenn. Raikou, I beg of you... if you're out there somewhere... let me fight alongside you. Welcome me aboard your thundercloud. I will give my will to yours. For Hoenn. She needs us now."

Josh's eyes lit up. "Wait, Kyle can summon Raikou?!" Josh asked. "Well, that makes things a lot easier! He used to be my boss when I was in the Minor League! Setting up a meeting with him should be a piece of cake!" They were also good friends. Surely he would understand, as he was the very first challenger the Master of Faster got when he opened his much smaller Racing Grounds on Route 111. If anyone in Hoenn had the speed tolerance to sit in Raikou's thundercloud saddle without emptying out their gut, it was Josh. The electric legendary, of course, had speed that was on a totally different level. Unbeknownst to him, as he would find out, speed that was even too much for him.

"Thank you so much, Thomas," Josh gratefully replied. "I'll have to give him a call. Maybe we can talk about it over a match at his Battle Arcade. I'll let you know how it goes."

{WC: 239}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,495 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 0:31:02 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

"Best of luck, Josh.", he'd tell the Ranger. "And if you ever want to stop by the Ranch, feel free to do so.", he'd offer him, before going over to check on Bunni and Audrey, removing his glove, and petting Bunni, while picking Audrey up.

tags:
notes: Fin

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,014 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 4:18:06 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: