6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Rayquaza Rollercoaster [S][C/Eva]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2022 19:13:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The region-wide crisis caused by 99943 METENO was over. While he played merely a small role, it was an integral one. It was his Gym Trainer and Luxray that were responsible for firing the Desert beacon. His Manectric's HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE, though it was slower than it would be on Hoenn's surface, was still the fastest he had ever ridden a Pokémon.

Today, though, he would break that personal record by a county mile. Whether he knew it or not.

The real hero of the 99943 METENO effort was Dr. . It was through her faith that there was a way to avoid two unacceptable outcomes that every Hoenn, and the rest of the multiverse, were safe. It was through that faith that perhaps the fastest Pokémon in the world, the sky serpent Rayquaza, came to her aid. It was through her guidance that the crisis encompassing the entire region had been averted.

Furthermore, it was living proof that dreams could indeed come true. He had his own dream. The dream to meet, befriend, and ride Raikou under the duty of doing his part to protect Hoenn's highest officials, including himself, from the DRK Triad that wanted no more than the death of Avatars. Whether or not Raikou chose him to the level that Rayquaza did Eva no longer mattered to him. He just wanted to play his part in ensuring the DRK Triad never terrorizes Hoenn again. And if Raikou turned his offer of servitude down? It would break his heart, but he would be willing to accept it. After all, it was the Beast's decision and not his.

He had to do what he could to best impress the Legend of Thunder and the fastest Pokémon on land. He had come to the Peacemaker for help. He wasn't sure how much help he was going to get, but others he had spoken to about Raikou, such as , , and especially , were able to help tremendously. This help, though, was going to be more on the physical side. He took a deep breath as he buzzed for Eva, trembling at the thought of flying on the great serpent after his experience being astride Articuno...

{WC: 370}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Yosei         Salamence      Good
Alphamax      Garchomp       Good
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
My legacy is in the lives I save
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2022 20:07:55 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 In Eva’s eyes, everyone played a vital role in the protection of Hoenn. No matter how small or how grand ones acts were, without each moving piece the puzzle would have been incomplete. She held the brave citizens, officers, and Rangers of Hoenn in the highest regards. She couldn’t thank them enough for the sacrifices they made to save their home.

When Josh reached out to her to ask about Rayquaza, she was admittedly hesitant. Their bond was so new and fresh that hated the thought of screwing it up by pushing something on the pokemon too quickly. The dragon was a fickle being. She could feel it in her soul. It lacked a modicum of pleasantry around others and their trust was not easily given. Eva even questioned if the Legendary’s trust was in the League, or just her for saving their life. She knew the answer, deep down, but knew The League wouldn’t like it.

Peacemaker. That title came with the responsibility to uphold peace, and actively seek out those that sought to destroy it. Peace sometimes required an unbiased eye, and it’s for that reason Rayquaza was hesitant to wholly side with The League.

But Eva? Eva they trusted. And it took a lot of gentle coaxing for her to convince Rayquaza they should allow to ride them. Eva’s own brief flights around Hoenn atop her new patron were nothing like what Josh had in mind. They were slow, casual, but even slow for Rayquaza was fast. If Eva wanted to get used to the Legendary’s speed, she needed a partner, someone she knew could probably handle it in case one of them passed out from the sheer G-forces.

“Hiya, Josh!” she pipped up cheerfully. She was already dressed in a flight suit, a helmet nestled between her arm and hip, “Hit up the locker room over there. There’s one of these fancy ass suits waiting for you too!”

[attr="class","milkcredit"]MILKY
[newclass=".eva"]--accent:#298A08; position:relative; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote b, .eva blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass] [newclass=".eva .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #298A08; [/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2022 21:39:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Unlike with the Johto Beasts and Sacred Swords, Josh's knowledge of Rayquaza was limited to what he had seen above what were now called the Silent Icelands. He remembered the green comet slicing through 99943 METENO with godlike might, sparing not only their Hoenn, but every other Hoenn, from a grisly fate. Had the future Josh was trying to prevent been prevented, denying him an alibi to meet Raikou? He didn't want to dwell on it for now. He was beyond excited.

He was about to go for an exciting flight on what may have been the fastest Pokémon in the world.

"Yo!" Josh waved back from the back of his Dragonair, unable to contain his giddiness as he greeted the Peacemaker. "Thanks again for letting me do this. I think it's going to be a big help for when I meet Raikou. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks me to do something similar." Unsurprisingly, Eva was in a full flight suit. After all, Josh had a full racing suit himself for his very fastest rides, including the Dragonair he rode to Eva's lab on.

The gravity of what Josh would be doing settled on his shoulders as he took his leave and changed into the second flight suit in the nearby locker room, activating his RaiCorp prototype HoloWear's speedometer function. This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This would be a direct way to measure just the kind of speed Rayquaza was capable of. It would be valuable information for researchers worldwide, particularly mythologists, to have. "I'm back and ready! Thanks to 's tech here, I'll be able to see just how fast we're going, too!"

{WC: 277}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2022 19:42:02 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
Josh’s enthusiasm is infectious, and Eva is happy to see he’s excited rather than petrified. Eva lied somewhere in between. She was excited to also experience Rayquaza’s true speed for the first time but the underlying fear of its rejection to Josh may crush both their dreams. The dragon was a fickle beast and untrusting of most, “No, thank you,” Eva smiles, tucking a stray strand of blonde behind her ear, “No one better to back me up on my first EXTREME SPEED than Hoenn’s very own Speedster!” it’s a loving nickname Eva used to reference Josh’s gym challenge.

“That’s pretty neat,” Eva peered down at the device, the scientist in her eager to have the data to add to their understanding of Hoenn’s legendary, “We’re gonna meet on one of the smaller island plateaus, just follow us,” Eva releases an emerald Salamence, her crimson wings flexing beneath the warm sunlight, “Just . . . follow my lead, ok? Rayquaza can be . . . unpredictable,” they were still in the process of getting to know each other and the dragon’s wariness was still a strong emotion she felt from her deity. Eva gave Josh a thumbs up before adjusting her flight goggles and climbing onto her Salamence.

They would take off, flying West out of Ever Grand and over the Hoenn Sea. It is a quick 5 miles before a small plateau comes into view. Clear as day, basking on the cliffside is the emerald serpent.

[newclass=".eva"]--accent:#298A08; position:relative; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote b, .eva blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass] [newclass=".eva .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #298A08; [/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 10:02:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Come to think of it, Josh was helping Eva get used to her new Patron, too. For the Master of Faster, riding Rayquaza was an opportunity he would never get to relish again. For the Peacemaker, though, it was something she might end up doing routinely. "I'm already shaking just thinking about holding Rayquaza's reins in the event of--"

Wait. Did she just say EXTREME SPEED?

The professor may have been able to see a look of worry on Josh's face. His Dragonair's EXTREME SPEED had pushed his limits back when he rode with and had to save him from a terrible fate. His mind raced back to that day as he sent Yosei out, ready to take off after Eva's Salamence. "You're going to love it. My first experience riding a Pokémon using EXTREME SPEED was with my Dragonair. The field of dragon energy whipping past you, as well as Hoenn itself, is something else." It was almost painfully obvious how uncharacteristically nervous the Gym Leader was; it was almost like he was a different person at the very mention of the blindingly fast move. "G-got it," he stuttered, promising to keep his emotions in check until they were in flight.

It felt a little different flying on the dragon with a flight suit on. As he rest his hands on the creature's back, he found himself having to exert quite a bit more force just to remove them and properly grab Yosei's reins. With it extremely likely that Rayquaza would not be wearing a saddle, this would aid him greatly in holding on during the flight. "When I first approached Kyle about riding Entei to prepare for my pursuit of Raikou, the Beast was apprehensive about it. As much fun as it would be to hold Rayquaza's reins for myself, and don't get me wrong, I would love to, but I get it. I get how they can be. They are gods, after all." And even if it were the case, said reins would almost assuredly not be physical.

Regardless, he would need all the help he could get.

It was not long until the duo reached the offshore island where the emerald serpent hovered. It was as though weather itself ceased around the dragon, the conditions surrounding the island ideal for their flight. Josh's jaw opened at the sight of the Hoennian dragon capable of the most maddening speed any Pokémon had to offer. There were no words he could say to Eva; he instead humbly dismounted and withdrew Yosei, bowed to the snaking sky god, and followed his partner's lead in getting ready to soar.

{WC: 442}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 21:13:10 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 A strong wind rolling across the open ocean rolled across the top of the plateau. The long, green grass shifting like waves around their ankles as the two dismounted their dragons to approach the much larger one. Eva returned her Salamence after giving the dragon a small pat on the neck in appreciation. The pokeball snapped back to the belt around her waist.

“Yeah this will be a little different I think,” she smiles playfully, giving Josh a little wink. She was sure Entei was fast, but Entei was not Rayquaza, “You know, I don’t really have reins,” says matter-of-factly as they start to approach he dragon, “I just kinda . . . talk to them? I don’t know. It’s hard to explain,” they didn’t talk to each other but they did. It was more like sharing feelings and intentions. It wasn’t a language she could explain so even for Eva it was a learning curve.

Upon their approach, the serpent stirred, shifting its serpentine body to angle towards the two riders. The legendary peeled its head off of the soft grass of the plateau and peer down at Eva and Josh with burning, golden eyes. A forceful exhaled acknowledged Josh’s bow, and they returned the gesture with a subtle nod of their wide head.

The pokemon dipped down to Eva’s level, one golden eye fixing on the trainer. For a moment, the two seemed to share some silent words before she reached out and rubbed the pokemon’s forehead. Rayquaza then rose from the ground spinning in a slow circle to present it’s broad side to the two trainers, “They’re ready!” she hummed happily, lifting the helmet to fit it snuggly over her head, “Sit behind me, and hold on tight!” she gave Josh two enthusiastic thumbs up before climbing up to settle just in front of the dragon’s first set of spines. She let enough room for Josh to sit snuggly behind her in an Eva-Rayquaza sandwich.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 21:48:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh planted his feet firmly after the first strong gust of wind hit him upon landing on the offshore island. Where did all the wind come from? "I expected that Rayquaza, like other legendary Pokémon, has their own rules," Josh agreed with the Peacemaker and Head Scientist. "I felt that when I flew with and Articuno that day. November 18, the day Hoenn changed forever." Even for Josh, one without a true connection to a god, he had been greatly changed by both the battle on the meteor and the clash with Kyurem. If it weren't for his conscription, Twilight's Mega Stone would still be intact. Aslan, his Pyroar, wouldn't be in the hospital fighting for his life right now. But he was a Gym Leader, and one of the responsibilities of a Gym Leader was to fight in Hoenn's army and defend her from her enemies, whether external or internal. "I more meant figurative reins than literal ones," he said with a laugh. "I wouldn't ever expect a legendary Pokémon to willingly wear riding gear like an ordinary Pokémon."

Rayquaza's golden stare was intimidating, but a nod from the green serpent quelled the Mauville Leader's fears and allowed him to be more relaxed in the titanic Pokémon's presence. He could feel the sheer power of Rayquaza's undulations just by watching them take off and hover near them, uncoiling their tail and letting them both aboard. He made sure his own helmet was secured before hopping on the legendary dragon. The serpentine body was the perfect size for Josh, almost as though the sky-dwelling Pokémon was meant for carrying people into the stratosphere.

Josh gently stroked Rayquaza's scales in front of their first set of stability fins before swinging his leg over, just like with his Dragonair, and hopping on behind Eva. When he found himself touching the fin, he scooted forward a little, the specialized flight suit interlocking with the tough, green scales. It served as the closest thing the Master of Faster would get to a harness, and he would find himself needing every bit of help we can get. He exhaled and flicked his helmet's visor down. "Alright, Eva! Let's see what Rayquaza can do with their new Avatar as a pilot!" He kept one eye on the corner of his Vision, too; after all, he was taking a speed measurement for Eva as a condition of the ride into Hoenn's skies.

{WC: 411}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 20:26:02 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Eva wiggled lightly, adjusting her seat on the legendary to as stable as she could muster. The flight suit gripped the pokemon’s emerald scales firmly, essentially locking her lower half in place. She leaned forward to hang on tight with her arms. She felt Josh settle in behind her. Craning her neck to glance over her shoulder, she ensured the Gym Leader was locked in tight. The static of electronic comms would spark to life in the other passenger’s helmet, “Ready for take off?”

As soon as Josh confirmed he was ready, Eva gave a nod and peeked forward over the broad back of the dragon. Rayquaza’s golden eye was peering back at her. She pushed a sense of readiness towards the still foreign presence that constantly stirred in her core.

That seemed to enough to spur Rayquaza forward. They arched over the edge of the tall cliff like a roller-coaster slowly creeping over the hump of its longest descent. Rayquaza slithered over the edge, the trio free falling towards the rolling waves of the sea below. They leveled out just above the surface of the water.

Rayqauza started with a casual pace. Letting the two get use to a different kind of flying. The dragon’s ‘casual pace’ was still quite fast. The strong wind roared past them, penetrating into the helmets as a steady hum, “Alright, here goes nothing!”

Eva tapped against the dragon’s presence, encouraging the legendary to go faster. There was a moment delay between the suggestion and the execution. The musculature of the dragon’s body tensed beneath them. Energy strummed through each fiber like the strings of a guitar. The quiet moment of the preparation lasted only a moment before an explosion of energy shot them forward faster than either of them could have imagined. The wake of energy left a large column of water suspended in the air as a cloud of mist as they disappeared in a flash of green EXTREME SPEED.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 19:59:08 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

"I am!" Josh replied, grateful the Peacemaker had thought of adding such a feature in advance. He wished he had thought of it when he took on a ride on his EXTREME SPEEDing Dragonair that blissful day so many months ago. As much as he would have loved to relive those moments, he would not also have wanted to relive Meteno. No one would have.

The Gym Leader shifted about on his perch just in front of Rayquaza's first red-tipped stability fin. He wasn't going anywhere, not with his lower body locked in place like that. Josh braced himself as the green, living rollercoaster crawled over the cliff's edge, experiencing zero gravity as the emerald serpent tumbled toward the waves at an angle that would have almost assured caused a real rollercoaster to derail. "WOOOOOOO!" he cried as the dragon leveled out over the sea.

Even warming up was really fast, reminding Josh of how fast his Dragonair's AGILITY or DRAGON DANCE was. With their similarities in body shape, he expected the ride on Rayquaza's back to be similar to that of Resheph, though with the same speed ratio. It was frightening to think about what he could have potentially gotten himself into, especially with how open Eva was about having Josh back her up on her first EXTREME SPEED run.

Though Josh didn't know it, Rayquaza using the Sacred Arte was likely the fastest rush any Pokémon had to offer, legendary or no. When Eva called out that she was going to have Rayquaza speed up, Josh braced himself for the worst. Dragon energy gathered around the legendary Pokémon, in the same formation as it did around Resheph.

It was a good thing Eva thought to sandwich Josh between herself and the dragon's fin; if he had too much room to move, he would have ragdolled about on the Skylord's back. While the burst of speed wasn't as whiplash-inducing as Raikou's EXTREME SPEED was, the dragon's acceleration much more smooth, its sheer magnitude caused Josh's facial skin to rush to the back of his head. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched the roaring creature's speed climb rapidly, even beyond what Saber's HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE was capable of. Even as the fourth figure appeared, the acceleration showed no sign of ceasing.

What really made the intense speed hit home was seeing Mossdeep on the horizon when Rayquaza initiated the Sacred Arte. Seconds later, the large island whipped past them. Josh's favorite racing video game, involving futuristic hovercars, reached the kinds of speeds Rayquaza was flying at, and having that visual reference was one of the things keeping him from getting immediately sick. Rayquaza's speed was still continuing to climb. "Just how fast does this dragon get, anyway? This is nuts!" He wondered how that had to come off from Eva's perspective, a Gym Leader who crafted his Gym on the premise of high speed seemingly having trouble adapting to the legendary mount.

{WC: 498}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 18:38:41 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 It felt like being hit by a freight train. The sheer force of the initial set of G’s was overwhelming. The invisible pressure continued to weigh on them, seeping into their bones. Eva felt like she was vibrating on the molecular level, every atom, every nerve fiber igniting to life beneath the rush of adrenaline and the pressures of the speed in the physical world. Rayquaza could feel her discomfort, and offered some relief through the gentle suggestions and sharing their power.

The legendary guided her down so that she folded forward, nearly lying flat against the serpent’s back. Once she folded beneath the draft of Rayquaza’s long horns, the wind pressure became far less, though the strength of the G’s was not, “Fold down like this, Josh!” she managed to instruct the experienced pokemon rider. He may have already figured it out, but she wasn’t going to look back to check. Eva kept her gaze focused between the legendary’s horns.

The acceleration slowed until Rayquaza was at a steady EXTREME SPEED. The numbers still climbed, but slowly now. Eva could feel that they were just on the precipice of what the pokemon could do. They held back, obviously concerned for the frail humans’ well-being.

Mossdeep fly by in the blink of an eye, Eva would have missed if she wasn’t paying attention to where they were going. They were running out of Hoenn airspace and fast. The only wqay to go was up!

“Change of scenery!” she smiled, urging Rayquaza to head for the stars. The serpent’s musculature curled beneath them, and with newfound strength and speed, the flying-type arched up towards the clouds. Another deep thrum of power blasted against the ocean’s surface as Rayquaza gave them a taste of its DRAGON’S ASCENT.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 20:55:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The acceleration continued to squeeze Josh as Shoal Cave flew past him in a split second. The isolated air pockets that were their flight suits was the only reason the two could communicate while riding a mount that he felt was flying at multiple times the speed of sound. The rush on the emerald serpent made it clear to him. He was a passenger on the undisputed king of speed, legendary Pokémon included. Even if Rayquaza wore reins, there would be no way a human would have the strength to pull them when flying at nothing short of lunatic speeds.

Though Rayquaza could ease such pressure for Eva, Josh had no such luck; he had to rely on his skill with his Dragonair, which offered him similar relief from the physical ordeal he was putting his body through. Once instructed to do so, Josh followed Eva's guidance, and he was glad he did.

At long last, the pressure on him relieved as Rayquaza's speed leveled off. Though it was still steadily going up, the explosive acceleration had worn off. It seemed like the dragon was able to maintain its burst speed for far longer than most Pokémon. "YEEEEEE-HAAAAA!!!" Josh cried through his comms, lost in the rush of having conquered the fastest speed of the fastest Pokémon in the world. Even acute angles were nothing but a blur, the waves beneath an incomprehensible sea of blue and white. "I can't imagine what it's like to drive or control them! Wonder how long it takes him to circumnavigate Hoenn?" he idly mused.

After the emerald serpent and their two riders passed Shoal Cave, Josh felt his stomach sink into his gut as the Peacemaker's Patron curled upward and started pounding through cloud layers, the blue of the sky getting increasingly dull as he felt the stability fins along the dragon's spine squeezing at him again. Even with Josh leaning as low as he could on Rayquaza, he felt so much more power from the undulating Pokémon that he was shaking. "Wait, his Extreme Speed's not it?!" Josh asked with a hint of panic in his voice, but mostly anticipation. Rayquaza's flight had been smooth but fast up until now. The shaking meant that at last the Skylord was starting to show their true colors. He had no reference to just how high above Hoenn he was: just the color of the sky and the frightening display of Rayquaza's speed in the lower right corner of his Vision. It was the true fastest rush Rayquaza was capable of.

The DRAGON ASCENT.

{WC: 433}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2023 23:35:07 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 It really was a unique experience, one Eva was going to have to get used to . . . if she ever could. A new breadth of challenges awaited the doctor and she was anxious to tackle them all head on! Like this one today, learning to work in sync with her patron to physically handle the stressors of flight at the god’s incredible speeds. Josh certainly seemed to be enjoying himself, and Eva couldn’t help but giggle as he let out a YEEHAW.

“Probably not very long,” she considered the inquiry for a moment, “Let’s find out! with a gentle change of direction, Eva encouraged the pokemon to level out. Instead of racing towards the stars, Rayquaza curled back towards Earth, curling its body in a gentle arc that gave the two riders a nice view of silhouette of Hoenn while they traveled at incredible speed along the mainland’s western coast, curving northeast to follow the circumference of the island nation.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2023 16:53:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The emerald serpent and two riders were surrounded by a green field of dragon energy so dense and were at such a high altitude that he could not recognize a single structure on the ground. They were so high up that Josh could see all of Hoenn looking down. There was no way even Resheph, his Dragonair, could fly this high up without freezing. They had to be miles above the surface. Though he didn't know it due to a lack of familiarity, he was getting first-hand confirmation that Rayquaza truly did live near the ozone layer in the sky! The only sounds the two could hear were their own voices and the hum of any technology contained within their specially-designed aerodynamic flight suits as they flew far faster than even a fighter plane at burst speed. Eva's whoop alongside his own made him smile. "I bet Rayquaza's having a lot of fun too!" Josh mused as he took in just how small Hoenn was at this altitude.

"Arceus, me!" Josh grunted as Rayquaza made a shallow turn after passing from Dewford to Meteor Falls faster than it took them to fly between Sootopolis and Mossdeep while they were on the surface. He could have sworn he felt his gut fluids violently splashing within him as the legendary dragon started twisting sideways to give them a view they'd never forget.

After passing Petalburg City, Josh could feel Rayquaza turning the other way. "Wait, why are you turning them away from Hoenn? I thought we were racing to see how fast he could circle Hoenn?" He didn't need to think about it long before realizing what happened: Rayquaza was so fast that they had to overshoot all their turns and make a 270-degree arc to be gentle enough with their riders to not cause them to immediately pass out. As they crested the lazy left turn, Josh pointed in the distance. "Is that Johto? No way! That's quite the trip by airplane!" It truly gave the Gym Leader a sense of how fast Rayquaza was: a sense that only the growing number in the lower right corner couldn't give him. The concept of this kind of speed was difficult for even the Master of Faster to comprehend. "Perhaps you should take my title instead!" Josh joked.

Even now, Josh could still feel Rayquaza slowly building speed during the Dragon Ascent. Meteor Falls, Fallarbor Toen, Fortree, and Lilycove all flew past them in seconds. It was quickly becoming apparent that the dragon god's speed was designed for interstellar travel, not regional travel. It was a sight, and an experience, that would forever be burned into Josh's memory. What were they building all this speed for?

"I know air speed and land speed aren't the same, but this makes Raikou seem so slow now!" Josh chirped. And how much slower would Raikou's speed seem, wild as it was, before they would land back at the island north of Ever Grande, or wherever Eva decided to drop them off at. They had miles upon miles of altitude to shed when the time came, far beyond any commercial aircraft had ever reached. After all, the Dragon Ascent had two parts to it: the ascent to the stratosphere and beyond, and the Dragon Descent back to the surface.

There were no words or images in Josh's head that could even come close to what he felt he was going to experience soon.

{WC: 576}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2023 22:46:28 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 While Josh took in the sights, Eva was a bit more focused on the pokemon. This was her first seriously fast ride with her patron. Balancing the uncomfortable forces on her body as well as the mental stimulation from the dragon’s enjoyment on top of having to keep the pokemon under control was a bit much to balance. Many of Josh’s comments go unanswered, not for her lack of enthusiasm or appreciation for his fascination, but for the fact that her mind was focused on so many other things. She did take a moment to peek across the sapphire sea, spotting what she assumed was Johto, his home region in the distance, “I think so!” it would make sense with where they were at that moment in time. The region came and went faster than she expected as the dragon curved around the circumference of Hoenn’s North coast to travel in a graceful arc back South then West towards Ever Grande.

“Maybe I should!” Eva teased back, grinning beneath her visor. Eva Morales, Peacemaker, Master of Faster. It had a nice ring to it.

Evergrande peeked over the horizon as they zoomed past the Southern Island and quickly approached the Pacifidlog and the Rocket occupied Sootopolis. Their little island off Ever Grand wasn’t too far ahead, time to descend.

“Ready?” it was more of a warning than a question, because before Josh could answer the dragon amplified gravity and arched downwards, sending them into more than just a free fall; the last half of a Dragon Ascent back towards their grassy landing platform.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 18, 2023 6:11:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It did have a nice ring to it. While Josh showed mastery of common Pokémon known for their speed, every single one of those paled in comparison to what the sky serpent could do. He longed to be able to one day take the dragon for a flight by himself, holding Rayquaza's metaphorical reins on his own. As with and , though, as he would later come to find out, this was likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and it was one he would cherish.

The duo whizzed above Johto, then across Mount Chimney, Fallarbor, Fortree, and Lilycove. Many of north Hoenn's residence had to be awestruck at seeing what appeared to be a glowing, green comet in the air. Even if it was virtually, he had experience controlling things moving at the speed of futuristic racing hovercars that traveled far faster than the speed of sound. This, though, was on a whole different level. The volcanic peak, gone in seconds. He wondered what such a flight would look like closer to the surface. When Eva asked Josh if he was ready, he also knew it was more of a warning than a question.

This was it. He and Eva were about to go faster than any Pokémon rider had gone before, legendary or no.

Right as the riders had their landing zone in sight, Josh felt his weight briefly multiply from the localized high gravity field Rayquaza generated. The green noodle let out a bellow--the only warning the two would get directly that things were about to get really intense really quickly. The sensation of feeling heavier than normal only lasted a split second, Josh's stomach feeling like it was rising into his throat as his mount's angle of attack started to decrease.

The steeper the descent became, the more Josh could feel his weight leaving him. Now the reason became clear for the gravity field Rayquaza had created was clear: had the intelligent dragon god not foreseen it, the force of the dive would have peeled Josh out of the top of his suit. The Avatar, of course, likely would have been fine due to the nature of her unique powers, but the negative G-forces would have left him in freefall and unable to breathe in the incredibly thin atmosphere. The figures in the corner of his Vision rose so rapidly he could barely track them. He would have an unbelievable number to share with the scientist: a reading that would be far easier to understand expressed as a factor of Mach.

As Hoenn's sky guardian approached the cloud layer, the clouds themselves seemed to part in their mere presence. The distant island where they had taken off was getting visibly larger by the second. Even from their great distance, the rushing air around Rayquaza was pushing the water surrounding the tiny island aside. Despite their landing zone approaching so quickly, Rayquaza's rate of descent kept increasing, the riders experiencing a small amount of negative G-force despite the increased gravity around them.

As the rush of air in front of them pushed so much water aside that rock and sand surrounding the island saw the first direct sunlight it had ever seen, Josh was starting to get worried that Rayquaza may have been out of control. Was this the speed Rayquaza flew at when smashing Meteno to pieces? It had to be close. Even for the Master of Faster, this was turning from the greatest thrill ride in the world to frightening real fast.

Seconds before what would have been impact, Rayquaza reversed the field of gravity around them. Again for a split second, the riders may have experienced a sensation of being pushed against the top of their suits before the most intense part of the entire flight came. In an immensely strong motion, the emerald serpent flicked their tail and arched upward.

Even with the negative gravity field, Josh felt like he was being squished into his seat on the living rollercoaster of a dragon as they pulled out of the dive with the most intense turn yet. Had Rayquaza not perfectly timed the reversal of gravity, Josh may have been wrung out from the unfathomable force of the momentum shift. Instead of a potentially lethal squish, it merely felt like every ounce of fluid in his body rushed to his feet.

The speed was nothing short of paralyzing for the Mauville Leader.

To Josh, Rayquaza pulling out of that dive felt like he was riding on the very cracker of a whip as it was swung through the air. Soaring above the waves rather than miles above Hoenn, even as Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent was over, gave Josh a true perspective of just how fast he was flying. There was not a single word or phrase he could think of that adequately described the fastest rush any Pokémon had to offer, legendary or no. As the duo rounded Littleroot and Oldale, Eva may have been able to hear the sound of Josh vomiting.

It took an entire extra lap around Hoenn for Rayquaza to shed all of their speed before safely landing above the island they took off from. The serpent lowered their body as close to the ground as they could, Josh dry heaving as he rolled off their back, unable to feel a thing. He weakly removed his helmet, the pungent smell of vomit wafting from the inside of his suit. He looked ready to pass out at any moment. "I need... a nap..." he moaned, mustering the strength to get out of his smelly flight suit before his consciousness left him.

Once he had woken up, whether on the island or wherever Eva took him, he properly thanked the Peacemaker. "How do you even do that?" the still-bewildered Master of Faster asked her, showing her the data he had collected. "Look at this. Rayquaza is more than an entire order of magnitude faster than any other Pokémon I've heard of. You have any idea what they did when they came out of Extreme Speed like that? I thought for sure that Extreme Speed was the very fastest burst of speed a Pokémon was capable of. That, though..." he trailed off. "And when they pulled out of that dive... That was beyond a rollercoaster ride. I don't even have the words for it. It was really fun until the back half of...whatever that was. That was just too much for me." If word got out that there was a Pokémon ride that was too fast for even the Master of Faster to handle, he would be the laughingstock of Hoenn. would never let him live it down.

He did have one way to repay the scientist, though. He retrieved his badge case and popped his personal Hoenn League Quick Badge out of it, with the intent of transferring the badge IDs to the correct people next time he accessed his Gym's ledger. "For withstanding the fastest Pokémon ride on the planet, it would be remiss if I didn't give you this." In his outstretched hand was his Gym Badge. "I don't know how interested you are in the Gym Challenge, but you deserve it. Besides, even if you were to make time out of your busy schedule to race me at my Gym, there's no way I would ever have a chance to beat Rayquaza."

Josh wanted to give the researcher a hug, but he knew it wouldn't be a good idea in his condition. Instead he simply made eye contact with the Avatar one more time. "Thank you so much. I'll make sure to email you a copy of all the data I collected up there, too. It's completely unreal stuff. And Eva, one more thing. Thank Rayquaza for me."

ooc note: This is Josh's Quick Badge award from the January 2023 canon activity check being done ICly.

{WC: 1,305}
{PC: 8}