6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Obedience Schooled [M][C/Elaina]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2023 20:54:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Alright, Shelly, that's the last batch," Josh informed his Gym scheduler. "Just finish that list of callbacks for me and you can go home. Don't worry about clocking out. I got you covered." It was the least the Gym Leader could do for one of the Racing Grounds' hardest working employees that had been around since September, when the place was inundated with challengers fighting for appointments. Thankfully, things had calmed down at last; bookings were only a few days out at most. The reason for all the rescheduling was simple: he had to close the Gym to challengers because a large high school in Slateport had rented out Sectors 1, 2, and 3 of Mauville Racing Grounds. Any challengers that were assigned to those sectors for the day had to be rescheduled.

Alongside the high schoolers who wanted to use Josh's Pokémon riding and racing class for a physical education credit were several private citizens who either paid out of pocket to be part of the class, or had garnered favors with the Gym Leader. One such person was . In all, he would be teaching about twenty students, each of which had very basic experience riding Pokémon.

The young, helmet-wearing Leader sat astride his Jolteon, Blinky, with perfect posture that set a great example for the class. Alongside him were several other Pokémon: a shiny Luxray, a Charizard, an Umbreon, a Togekiss, and a Pyroar, whose saddles and reins almost beckoned one to hop on and let their would-be riders' faces be sprayed with the wind. It was going to be a long but fun day for Mauville's Master of Faster. He wondered how many of the high schoolers would join sanctioned races eventually...

{WC: 289}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Blitz          Luxray          Good
Ares           Charizard       Good
Blinky         Jolteon         Good
Kamuy          Umbreon         Good
Mastema        Togekiss        Good
Simba          Pyroar          Good
close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
I'm crazy, but you like that; ... I bite back.
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 14:08:53 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Elaina had only recently caught a wild flying type, a skarmory, with Shalin about a week ago. She had constantly thought about taking the time to try and learn, which she had confided in Josh a few days ago. Then, he told him that he would be holding not just flying lessons, but riding lessons for land pokemon as well. He told her that normally people pay for such a thing, however, he made an exception for her. It wasn’t like she couldn’t afford the classes though. She had plenty of money stored away in her savings account, no thanks to her father, who was the one that provided it for her. Truth be told, she had no idea what she would do with the money, so despite Josh’s offer, she paid him anyway, seeing that he should get something out of it as well.

[break][break]

She had only ridden on a flying type once, being Shalin’s beedrill. That was how she was even able to catch the skarmory in the first place. If it weren’t for Shalin, the chances of Elaina being a part of Josh’s class would have been rather unlikely. Not only that, but she had also caught an Oshawott the same day as well and once it evolved into a Samurott, that would as good as any land pokemon to ride as well, and since it was also a water type, she could ride on it’s back while it was swimming, which provided her more than what she’d probably be learning today.

[break][break]

According to Josh, he had told her that there would be several other students alongside her, ready to learn, which kept in mind. She quickly made her way over to Josh’s Gym, noticing him right away. There were also five other pokemon of his aside from the jolteon he was riding on. Elaina as well as the other students who had arrived for the lesson stood in attendance awaiting Josh’s instructions on where to begin. She had given him a wave of her land, signaling that she was here while trying to not make a whole scene out of it. After all, she wasn’t the only student here.

+
[break][break]
+

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.blboxfl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#CC0066;[/newclass]

[newclass=.blboxfl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 16:55:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Several of Josh's Gym trainers stood behind the Leader, holding the reins of several other Pokémon he routinely used for challengers. Among them were a Manectric, a Leafeon, a Skarmory, and a Pidgeot. Josh waved to Elaina as the body of teenagers assembled on the green of the Racing Grounds' Main Sector. "Good morning, everyone!" Josh greeted his students. Technically they weren't attending his Gym, but their academy was contracting his Gym to hold the lessons. For any serious trainer, this was an important skill to learn, and one that was surprisingly nuanced. Posture, trust, and gear maintenance were all extremely important to keeping the Pokémon as comfortable and as happy as possible.

"Now everyone remembers the basics from my 100-level course, right?" Josh asked, a crackled bark coming from the Jolteon he was atop. "How many of you need a short recap of what was covered? Don't be shy; everything I'm going to teach you builds on what you've previously learned." After all, flying posed a danger no amount of safety equipment could truly erase. "I don't want to take anyone in the air without having a solid knowledge base. I know all of you are looking forward to flying, but I want to make sure we're all ready for it first."

{WC: 215}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 4:16:48 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Elaina decided to not answer the question since she didn't attend the class that Josh spoke of. Instead, she let someone else answer. However, with that being said, she did have a question of her own that perhaps Josh would be able to answer. With the experience she had with 's Beedrill the other day, she had come to learn the hard way that she'd need protective gear, mainly earplugs, to continue riding her. She wondered if that was the case for all kinds of flying pokemon?

[break][break]

Once someone had finished asking their question, Elaina waited before she decided to speak up. "Excuse me, but I have a question," Deciding to be professional, not wanting to call Josh on a first-name basis. "The other day, I rode on a beedrill who belonged to a Ranger, like me. At first, I didn't know I needed to, but I came to learn that I needed earplugs when riding the beedrill. I was just wondering if that would be the same for all other flying-type pokemon in terms of riding them, or just bug-type pokemon?"

[break][break]

+ apologies if this is a tad short x.x
[break][break]
+

[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 19:02:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Yes, Elaina?" Josh asked, listening to the novice's question. He had to do a double take when he heard Beedrill and riding in the same sentence. There was only one person he knew that had not only the courage to sit in the saddle of a Beedrill, but also owned one large enough to wear one. He was stunned; had Elaina learned riding tips from that maniac, ? And wait, she was a Ranger now? What had this world come to? was going to get an earful from Josh for letting a maniac like her into the ranks of the Ranger. This could be quite problematic, and a potential conflict of interest that may require sorting out above the Rangers themselves. "No, Beedrill are a special case, and one I would love to discuss with you once the lesson is over."

It seemed the others had no questions. "Now before we get in the air, I do want to teach you some more advanced pointers. I want everyone to get out all their land Pokémon and mount up," the Leader asked, many of the students bringing out their own partners. Josh brought out his Luxray, Pyroar, and Umbreon for those who needed Pokémon partners. The big cats would be a bit of a rough and tumble ride for those not used to their flexing backs, but would be fun for those who were.

"As a reminder, in the 100-level class, we covered two ways to control your mount: one without reins, and one with. If your Pokémon is trained in both, you can actually combine both to perform really tight turns." It was extremely useful for racers in particular. He demonstrated by having Blinky gallop underneath the course's starting arch, then turn into the grassy battle course nearby. He passed in front of the class at high speed, then yanked on the electric-type's right rein while simultaneously shifting his body weight the same direction. Blinky kicked up a tremendous amount of dirt, pulling a swift about-face in the process. "As you can see, it's well beyond what a Pokémon can normally do. Just be careful not to use this too much, as it takes a lot out of your Pokémon to do."

{WC: 378}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 4:01:49 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Elaina listened to Josh's answer carefully, having no need to physically jot it down. A part of her was relieved that she wouldn't have to wear any earplugs when she was good and ready to ride her newly caught skarmory. It was later that Josh said that he wanted to give some advanced pointers for riding land pokemon, so with that, everyone got out their own land pokemon. As for Elaina, though, she did not have one, which prompted Josh to pull out a few of his own. There were also two other people attending the lesson that also didn't have their pokemon to ride.

[break][break]

Elaina took a minute to see which one would probably best suit her. "I feel like riding the Pyroar would be a bit too much for a first-timer like me." she thought to herself. That only left the Umbreon and the Luxray, and Elaina looked at the two of them before making her choice. Luxrays were known to be very fast pokemon, but something told Elaina that Josh's Luxray would be a perfect fit for her to ride. "If you don't mind, I'll go ahead and ride your Luxray," Elaina said to Josh. Before, letting the others freely try out the course for themselves, he demonstrated with his Jolteon.

[break][break]

As she had watched, it was clear to her that Josh was rather good at racing. "If I ever challenge his gym in the future, it'd probably a good idea to just battle him. I doubt I'd ever win a race against him," Elaina thought to herself. It wasn't that she wasn't confident that she could become good at racing, but it was rather a tremendous difference in skill. Although, she figured that he was also not a pushover in terms of battling either.

+
[break][break]
+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 19:45:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Elaina was pondering, Josh observed many of the high schoolers giving his dual control scheme a try. A couple of them crossed the controls, their Pokémon entering a wide drift rather than sharply swerving and reversing direction. Blinky ran after then to make sure they were okay after being wrenched from the backs of the Liepard and Ninetales they were astride. "Are you two okay?" he asked. "You want to pull and lean in the same direction, not the opposite direction. We'll cover what you did in a future lesson, but for now, make sure to pay more careful attention." It seemed the duo were okay, merely shaken up from the crash.

Blitz attempted to nuzzle Elaina, the electric lion smiling. Provided Elaina accepted it, she would be able to feel the vibration of the Luxray's purr. The black-and-yellow Pokémon crouched to let the girl more easily hop on. If she were to direct the swift feline around, she would find his running stroke to still be quite bouncy, but not as harsh as the Pyroar's looked.

With the students' concerns addressed and most of the others at least understanding the concept, Josh returned to Elaina. "You look great on Blitz's back!" he smiled, his eyes shifting as he heard Pokémon cries from his Gym's occupants swerving them harshly about. "Don't forget, you can lean in the same direction as you pull for a tighter turn. Let's see how you can handle it!"

{WC: 247}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 23:12:01 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Elaina saw the crash, which made her grimace. However, from the looks of things, they weren't injured, just shaken up. "I can see now why it's important to keep in mind what Josh has been teaching his students. Hopefully, I'll keep that in mind," She thought to herself. It was then that Josh's Luxray nuzzled against Elaina, prompting her to pet the electric cat. Since it was about time for her to give it a go, she proceeded to hop on Blitz's back, while also having her helmet on already. She smiled at Josh's compliment.

[break][break]

"Understood," She said with a nod and then after a few minutes, Blitz took off with Elaina ready. The turns at first weren't all that bad, however, as she progressed further down the course, they became slightly more difficult. Josh's advice echoed in her head, instinctively making her lean in as she pulled for the tight turns. She also made sure to only pull only what she needed so as to not cause discomfort for Blitz while doing so. They weren't as good as how Josh made his tight turns, but they were at least passable. When she and Blitz reached the end of the course, Blitz the Luxray slowed down for Elaina. As Josh was coming over, she took off her helmet, fixing her hair, and said to him, "I see what you mean by the tight turns. I think Blitz knew that it was my first time ever riding too, so we worked together when the turns got a bit harder," She said, petting Blitz as soon as she hopped off his back, thanking the Luxray.

[break][break]

"So, what's next?" she asked, putting her helmet back on. Honestly, she wasn't sure if she'd need it, but with flying being the next likely lesson, it'd probably be best to still wear some sort of protective gear.

+
[break][break]
+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 23:27:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed like Elaina was a fast learner. While she was being conservative with Blitz's reins due to an understandable fear of hurting him, she was putting her body weight into it, too. The electric-type was kicking up big dust clouds with every about face they made. It seemed many of the others were getting it, too. "Wait, this is your first time ever riding any Pokémon? I find that hard to believe. You're such a natural at it, and Luxray aren't known for being beginner friendly."

"Alright," he addressed the class at large, "it's time for the real fun to begin. I hope you're all ready to get into the air," he tried to build hype, leading the way to Sector 3, where many of the aerial courses were at. He sent out his Charizard and Togekiss. While the fire-type was still a little moody, he had improved enough at regulating his emotions that Josh felt comfortable showing the Charizard around beginners. "These two are Ares and Mastema, the Pokémon I'll be demonstrating with." With that, Josh mounted the Charizard, firmly gripped his reins, and prepared for takeoff.

"Now depending on your flying Pokémon, some of them might need to get a running start before they can get enough lift to take off. It's pretty easy to know that just by looking at the species." He took a moment to allow the rest of the students to release their flying-types and other aerial Pokémon. "Lots of Pidgeot, I see. You have great taste, class," he smiled, expecting to get laughter from the remark.

"The best way to describe controlling a flying Pokémon is imagine the reins being attached to a giant joystick on your Pokémon. In addition to minding leg pressure for speed and pulling in one direction on the reins to turn, now you have to think about roll and pitch. Anyone have an idea how you control a Pokémon's roll and pitch?"

{WC: 332}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 0:45:43 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

"Well, at least for Land pokemon. I've never ridden on one until," She stated to Josh. She was just a quick learner, she figured. She had always been intuitive when it came to learning anything new, even when learning on the fly. "Really? I had no idea that Luxrays weren't considered beginner friendly. Then again, It could also be because the two of them seemed to get along fairly easily. Am I right, Blitz?" She said, petting the Luxray.

[break][break]

After the two of them finished speaking to one another, Josh huddled everyone up once again for the next part of the lesson. Flying. Despite Elaina already having a slight bit of knowledge of flying, she was sure that the rest of the people taking on these lessons knew a fair bit more than she did, as they had also taken part in Josh's other classes. What's more was that she wasn't technically riding a typical flying pokemon, as pointed out earlier. When the others pulled out their own flying pokemon, Elaina was debating on whether to call out her Skarmory. Sure, it was obviously capable of flying, however, she didn't know just yet how well they'd be around other people. Instead, she put the Pokeball back on her belt and decided that she would once again rely on Josh's flying pokemon.

[break][break]

"Not to change the subject, but what do you mean by a pokemon's 'roll' and 'pitch'?" She questioned shortly after one of the students answered. She was unfamiliar with the two terms, and despite someone already answering the question, she still didn't quite understand. "Maybe I should start taking Josh's lessons more often," She thought to herself.

+
[break][break]
+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 14, 2023 6:54:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Blitz sounded a friendly purr, smiling upon being pet in just the right spot. "It's less of Luxray being difficult to raise than their gallop overwhelming beginners. You didn't notice how bouncy Blitz's run felt?" Josh asked, giving Elaina time to ponder. "Feline Pokémon are almost all like that. So many trainers see me riding big cats for how fast they are and how well they can turn, and they ask me for tips about it. Plus, they don't have the stamina that canines or equines do. Impacts are something that cats don't handle too well at all. If you have one takeaway from today, let it be Mauville Gym's slogan." It was plastered all over the Gym's lobby.

Mastema floated near Elaina, the Togekiss giving her an intimidating stare for quite a while before backing off, determining the young Ranger was, in his eyes, pure of heart. He descended next to her and let out a sweet cry, as if beckoning her to sit in his saddle and learn with Josh. "Mastema's usually not too warm to carrying others on his back. He must really think you're something else." He turned toward the fairy-type. "No EXTREME SPEED, Mastema. Please. Just... no EXTREME SPEED."

One of the young students answered Josh's question. "You pull the reins on only one side to adjust roll, and you pull and release the reins with both hands to control pitch. Or if you're riding without reins, pull or push with your hands toward or away from you when you're holding on."

"That's correct, Alec," Josh answered. "I'm impressed with how fast you're learning. Now how about you let the rest of the class answer the next few questions?" He turned back toward Elaina again. "As you can imagine, riding in three dimensions instead of two is a whole different beast. Roll is the horizontal angle perpendicular to your direction of travel. It's how you turn a flying Pokémon. Pitch is your vertical angle, also called the angle of attack. It's how you control altitude, and is one of the two ways you can control a flying Pokémon's speed."

{WC: 363}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2023 5:10:20 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

“Not really,” Elaina shrugged, trying to remember. However, nothing really came to mind in that aspect. “I guess in the heat of the moment I kind of just phased it out,” Elaina had admitted nonchalantly. To be honest, that's just how she always was. Whenever she was doing something hands-on oriented, she kind of tuned out everything and focuses on what she deemed really important and at the time, what she was focused on was making sure she was steering Blitz properly. And from what she could tell, Blitz seemed to enjoy having Elaina be their rider.

[break][break]

After that, Josh’s Togekiss had a very …. Peculiar staring contest with Elaina. It was then that the Togekiss appeared as if he wanted her to ride on him. However, despite the fact that Elaina wasn’t falling for its tricks, as well as having just been told about its tendencies from Josh himself, she still didn’t really have much of a choice in the matter. "I think this Togekiss will come to learn not all that innocent,” Elaina had said to herself mentally. She had fought, disarmed, and broken fully-grown men’s bones either because they touched in a bad way, or because they were bad themselves. In fact, a part of her kinda enjoyed inflicting pain on guys like that. It was a for-sure way to teach them a lesson they’ll never forget.

[break][break]

“Ah, okay. I think I understand now,” Elaina nodded while getting herself ready. “Also, I’ll take a ride on your Togekiss. Don’t wanna pry you away from your Charizard or anything,” Elaina had said, basically telling Josh, despite her lack of skills in flying, that was certain she would be able to handle herself just fine. Shalin’s Beedrill may not be as fast as a Togekiss, however, it was still fast enough, and since she had flown Queen Zing herself, she was certain that she’d be able to fly on Josh’s Togekiss.

+
[break][break]
+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 9:11:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was genuinely impressed at Elaina's skills, adapting to intermediate-level Pokémon despite claiming she was a beginner. "You're... really talented," he slowly answered. "You would have no problem doing rescues with me. I can go hunting for missions on RangerNet and email them to you. But before I do that, we have to take to the air."

It seemed she was ready to go. Mastema gently floated to ground level to allow Elaina to hop on. "It's really important that your bank angle doesn't exceed about 45 degrees and your angle of attack doesn't exceed 20 degrees up or down while you're still learning. With a Togekiss it's a lot less problematic because they float rather than fly like a traditional Pokémon, but it's a great one to learn with." He gently pat Mastema's head. "Remember, no EXTREME SPEED, and be gentle with her."

With his friend addressed, Josh turned his attention to the rest of the class. "Now I'll demonstrate a left roll, a right roll, and pitch changes." Ares leaped skyward with a grunt, embers flying from his nostrils as his powerful wingbeats uprooted some dead blades of grass. The flame-tailed dragon was airborne at a low enough that the ground-bound students could see.

With a tug on the reins' left, he coaxed the Charizard into a left roll that caused him to make a wide turn, followed by a right roll that corrected him back to a straight path. Pulling back on both sides at the same time caused him to climb, needing to flap his wings faster to remain airborne. Lastly, once he had climbed to a safe height, Josh loosened his grip on the reins so that he was barely pulling on them. Ares entered a gentle glide angled slightly down, having to occasionally beat his wings forward rather than down to keep his speed steady. "There's a bit more to flying than that, but those are all the basics you need to know before getting into the air. Now, let's see you try!"

{WC: 341}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Balance

She/her
Twenty-one
October 13
Castelia City, Unova
Heterosexual
PKMN Ranger
Cadet
Single
47 height
47 height
awards
105 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaina
ELAINA PIERCE
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 3:06:46 GMT
ELAINA PIERCE Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

As Elaina hopped on Josh’s Togekiss, positioning herself comfortably on the pokemon, as well as making sure Mastema was also comfortable with her sitting on top of him. She smiled at Josh’s kind words, showing a form of modesty. “Oh, I wouldn’t go that far. But I do appreciate the compliment,” she said, smiling at her second-in-command. “I’d like that. If you aren’t busy later, send me an email and read it through,” she said. Elaina liked the thought of being able to do assignments with Josh. After all, she had not done any missions with any of the Rangers here yet, so it’d definitely be nice to do so. She considered all of the rangers here in Mauville to be her teammates already, not having done any actual work with them yet. She had grown to set this example from not only her father but her mother, which made things run smoothly with their job, in her opinion.

[break][break]

Before she had taken flight though, Josh said that he would demonstrate what a roll was, which was a really good idea. Any kind of hands-on learning experience was something Elaina liked a lot. It’d give her a general idea as to how to steer while in the air, which will make things easier, not only easier for her, but for Mastema as well. As josh ascended into the air; performing a left roll, Elaina put her right hand over her eyes, so that way the sunlight wouldn’t obscure most of what she needed to see. Elaina noticed that Josh was coaxing the left as well as his right rolls rather than forcing them, which was something that Elaina had naturally done while riding Blitz earlier. She also noticed that the movements Josh was making as he steered were more fluid than when riding on his Jolteon, which was also something that Elaina had kept in mind of as well.

[break][break]

The same fluid motions were also more gentle when he had begun his pitch as well, while also noticing that it had given Ares the opportunity to flap its wings harder to maintain its own flight. “If I can all of that in mind while flying Mastema, I’m sure that it’ll be perfect for the both of us,” She thought to herself. What’s more, was that she had kept in mind that Togekiss’s aren’t regular fliers weather. They Levitate in the air, which makes them a lot faster than a flying pokemon that has to rely on the actual strength of their wings as Ares does.

[break][break]

Once Josh had descended back down to the ground with Ares, It was now her turn. “Alright, Mastema. Let's get going,” Elaina had said, and with that, the Mastema quickly ascended into the air, slightly faster than Ares did. This in turn made Elaina aware that she needed to perform a roll, while also imitating Josh’s movements that she had witnessed earlier. She could tell that Mastema had really wanted to use Extreme Speed badly, however, orders were orders, and didn’t want to upset his master. Instead, it complied with Elaina's swift, yet fluid movements in order for the Togekiss to steer properly.

[break][break]

As Elaina was up in the air, performing the simple tasks she saw Josh perform earlier, was breathtakingly amazing. It definitely reminded her of when she flew Queen Zing out in the Marshlands. After a good ten minutes of putting in the practice of her own, She and Mastema had finally descended back to the ground a short yet reasonable distance away from where Josh was. “That was a lot of fun,” Elaina had said to him, having yet another smile on her face. She quickly hopped off Mastema, thanking him and Josh both for the learning experience; sharing their knowledge before making her leave with the rest of the other students who participated in today’s class. "Don't forget to email me when you can!" she called to Josh as she walked away, waving them a 'goodbye'.

+ This seems like a good place to end ^^ you can make a quick exit and submit this to mod reqs! <3
[break][break]
+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2023 17:09:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Got it," Josh answered with a slight smile. "When I see a rescue ticket, I'll forward it to you and you can let me know if you're interested in picking it up." With that, he watched Elaina and the rest of the class put into practice what they were taught, helping struggling students as needed. Elaina appeared to be struggling very little. If anything, she looked like she had more experience than she was letting on. He was rather impressed with how quickly she was picking up on even more advanced concepts.

Once he was satisfied with the progress of the majority of his class, he released them for the day. "The only way you can get better is to practice with your Pokémon. If you haven't already, the best way to learn is to catch your own flying Pokémon and learn how they prefer to be controlled, and how much they'll respond to your commands. It's really important with flying Pokémon especially, because too much banking can cause both you and your Pokémon to get seriously hurt. Dismissed! I hope to see you in the future for the 203 course."

When Mastema landed, Josh had a few more encouraging words for Elaina. "You've ridden flying Pokémon before, haven't you?" he asked. "I can tell. With as much experience as you have, I would have no problems letting you ride Mastema's EXTREME SPEED. Maybe on our next Ranger mission, I can arrange for it. I'll get that email off to you tonight. Later!" He, likewise, waved goodbye as he locked up his Gym for the day.

{WC: 271}
{PC: 8}