2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2023 21:16:40 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
[attr="class","angelocam"]
Funny how the coin flips, sometimes. It used to be him doing the delivering, spending his days cycling all over the region as a courier to scrape together some money. One long year becoming intimate with Hoenn's landscape and its people. 

Now Angelo is the one waiting for a delivery, doing his best not to look at the clock. 

Keeping himself busy, Angelo stands on the wooden jetty outside his hangar. Sun shining and seaplane bobbing peacefully on the water, he takes the opportunity of being grounded to hose off the plane fuselage.

It would be peaceful, if not for an old radio loudly crackling out a static distorted music station. Accompanied on occasion by the butchering of lyrics by one shameless pilot.

[newclass=.angelocam] [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam b] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam i] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 11:00:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
When Josh had signed up for Delibird Deliveries, he didn't expect such a big job straight away, and yet he had one that would require an entire team of Pokémon. His first major delivery was for NAUTICA, a Hoenn-based exploration conglomerate he was unsure how his friend hadn't consolidated her expeditionary with. It seemed like she would be the perfect employee for them.

The mysterious pallet was to be delivered to NAUTICA's main hangar in Lilycove City. Due to how heavy it was, Josh's ride Pokémon were perfect for the job, masters of keeping their tethered cargo steady even at high speeds. He rode Blinky, his Jolteon, across town, while his Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Sylveon all worked together to pull the on-wheels parcel across Lilycove City and all the way to the hangar.

After a long trip across town, Josh had arrived at the destination, buzzing the doorbell outside the main entrance's gate. "Special delivery for Mr. Angelo Vestri?" he would ask as soon as the presence of Angelo or a NAUTICA employee prompted him to do so.

{WC: 183}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Clyde         Flareon        Good
Starr         Espeon         Good
Kamuy         Umbreon        Good
Inky          Glaceon        Good
Pinky         Sylveon        Good
close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2023 19:33:16 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
There were no additional staff in Nautica - not unless you counted the lingering pokémon, like the Dragapult that lounge on the hangar roof - and so it's down to the Angelo to answer the call. 

That's what happened when you ran a family business. You had to pick up even the undesirable, bottom of the barrel stuff. Like paperwork. 

Over here! By the water!” He shouts towards the hangar entrance, tossing the hose down onto the wooden dock. With a quick twist of the tap to turn off the gurgling water, he rounds the corner to meet the delivery crew.  

Only, he's not faced with the parade of Delibird he had been expecting.

Devlin?” Surprise flashes in Angelo's eyes as he steps forward, wiping his damp hands off on his jeans as he goes to meet the supposing gym leader. “Are you working for nowadays?

[newclass=.angelocam] [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam b] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam i] color: #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.angelocam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #95a2b5; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 7:13:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Angelo's shout caught Josh's attention immediately, Josh reining his oversized Jolteon toward the young businessman. The remainder of his Eeveelutions followed, the racer dismounting his electric-type long enough to undo the harnesses connecting the remainder of the parade of large big Eeveelutions to the large delivery. "That's me," Josh confirmed. "Oh, I remember you from the job fair! Going there was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was able to fill almost all the positions I wanted. It's given me enough workers that I can actually spend time away from my Gym to do things I enjoy." Of course, Josh had the advantage of getting copious funding, both from the League directly and from Mauville. He could afford to hire staff that Angelo may not have been able to.

"Seasonally, but yes," Josh confirmed he indeed was working for Locke's delivery company. "Ranger work gets really slow in the winter, and ever since my promotion, they've had me working fewer field jobs directly. I get wanting to save them for fresh blood, but it's agitating not being able to find tickets. So I'm working seasonally for them until the end of next month."

Once they were unhooked, Josh's other Pokémon roamed the hangar, Janus and Pinky approaching Angelo to greet him with soft cries, though the Sylveon's low squeak may have been a bit unsettling to one who had never encountered an Alpha Sylveon, whether it retained its Alpha status or not. "How did things go with ? You think she's the kind of person NAUTICA would want?"

{WC: 262}
{PC: 2}

Janus         Espeon         Good
close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 15:14:41 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Angelo is only partly listening to his visitor, blue gaze locked on the advance of pokémon larger than he thought the species could grow.

What the fuck was Devlin feeding these things?

Surely the League was against steroids.

Holding a hand out towards the Sylveon, the pilot scratches her under the chin.

Gym Leader, Ranger work and a part-time Delibird job? Leave something for the rest of us, Devlin.” He smiles, sarcasm hidden beneath a practiced, good-natured smile.

I haven't got hold of Nariya yet.” Things had gotten busy since access to the alternative worlds had been opened. Nothing that he and couldn't expertly weather, however. “But there's an expedition opportunity into the rifts comin' up that sounds right up her street. I was planning on getting in contact with her about teaming up for it.

If was as into exploration as the Gym Leader made her out to be, then Angelo figured she'd be down to partner up with the ventures into the rifts sometime soon. Then he could see what she could bring to the table...

Got anything you need me to sign?” He asks, nodding towards the crate Devlin had brought with his sled team.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 21:13:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
No steroids were involved; ever since the Distortions came through Hoenn, Pokémon that were at the very peak of what their genetic code allowed were far more common than they used to be. Pokémon this big used to be extraordinarily rare. He had once talked about it with when they went to lunch after finding the location Josh would go to for retrieving a chunk of the ABSOLITE cache within Route 121's Watery Grave. Between that discussion and his own research, he estimated that a Sylveon that size, pre-Distortion days, were ten to twenty times rarer than a Shiny Pokémon. They still weren't exactly common, but it was several orders of magnitude more likely to run into them now. That alone revolutionized the racing world, making incredibly fast Pokémon much more accessible to those outside the ultrawealthy.

Josh laughed at Angelo's sarcastic remark, replying, "It's not like they overlap much!" before taking a bit to calm down and collect his thoughts. "Honestly at this point, the Ranger stuff is more a labor of love than anything. With all my new hires able to run my Gym almost without me, I can do what I enjoyed doing again. It's just that Ranger work gets so slow in the winter that there's just not enough tickets to go around. So during the winter, I've been picking up tickets for Delibird to get my Pokémon some exercise. That and riding is just plain fun!"

"Got some paperwork for you right here," Josh answered. The topic of the rifts came up as he pulled out a clipboard with a receipt to be signed. Josh was familiar with the rifts too; he would be taking many Ranger tickets over them now that he was an Elite. " dragged me into this too. Sounds like she has both of us going on a wild Swanna chase through these rifts. Technically it's a Gym Leader's duty, but she's doing it of her own will." As Angelo scratched the Sylveon's chin, the ride-trained Eeveelution smiled and let out another low squeal, then briefly wrapped her feelers around his hands if he would allow it.

{WC: 362}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 20:57:48 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
It's a familiar song and dance. Angelo takes the clipboard, sharp eyes grazing the form emblazed with a Delibird symbol and the pen ink forms a river in the shape of his name. 

Got to make time for the things you love.” He agrees as he passes the Delibird Deliveries copy back to Josh, tucking his half of the receipt into his pocket. “Sounds like you cracked the code, though. Hard to sit down and stay still when you're doin' what you love, right?

Hands would have retreated back into the snug confines alongside the paperwork, had a velveteen ribbon not curled around Angelo's hand. 

With a soft breath of amusement, he holds the giant Sylveon's feeler, his arm absentmindedly swinging subtly back and forth.

Trust me, I definitely haven't been dragged into it.” He chuckles, hiding the slight grate of irritation on his company pride. “Nautica will be exploring the rifts, collaborators or not - it's what we do.

To say he'd been forced into it was an wildly incorrect assumption. For one, Angelo wouldn't be dragged into anything he didn't want to be, not any more. 

He'd been seeking entrance into those rifts since they appeared. Contracts with the League or not. 

From what I know about , there's as much chance of her staying behind her desk as me. You want something, you gotta get up and get it.

Scientists and explorers aren't so different, really. 

They simply hunt for different kinds of treasure.

I'm sure you can relate, Devlin.” 

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 17:49:08 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Exactly," Josh smiled as both parties stowed their documentation of the delivery. Pinky let out another squeal as she released her hold on Angelo before returning to Josh. "Such a good girl," the Leader remarked as he pat the Sylveon on the back of the head. "All eight of them, really. I have a whole set of them about this size at my Gym, from Vaporeon to Sylveon. Ever since the Distortions started showing up, really big Pokémon like this have become a lot more common in Hoenn. I bet breeders are upset that the Distortions crashed the market for Pokémon that are giant for their species like this."

"Sounds like we have like goals, then," Josh replied with a nod. "I'm starting with the desert rift by Mauville, which is the one I'm most responsible for due to its proximity to my Gym. After that, the cave rift by Dewford. If we happen to be headed to the same rifts, I'm more than willing to help out."

Angelo's words were absolutely true. "Yep. Over twelve years of searching finally paid off late last year. And was it ever worth it." He, of course, was referring to Raikou. If Angelo was in on Gym Leader gossip, he would have easily been able to put two and two together.

{WC: 220}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 19:24:13 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Angelo, perhaps fortunately for the gym leaders of Hoenn, was not in on the inner circle of their gossip. Therefore Josh's achievement goes over his head. 

He knows his social cues, however. 

Guess a congratulations is in order.

When the Sylveon releases him, he sticks a thumb and index finger in his mouth. With a sharp whistle, Wallace the Golisopod trudges out of the depths of the hangar and at Angelo's gesture, begins to carry the crate inside.

So, what's next on the agenda for you, then? Gonna bet you've already got something in the works.” He asks, hands slipping into his pocket when he turns back to the Gym Leader-Ranger-Delivery boy.

Workaholics, as Angelo was getting the impression Josh was, would always find the next big thing to focus on.  

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2023 17:51:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Thanks," Josh sighed. "It's a... thirteen year old childhood dream come true." He paused to let the time frame sink in. "Angelo, you might not believe me at first, and I'm going to sound like a child, but that dream was... meeting and riding Raikou." Though 's familiar may not have been the real thing, it was real enough in his eyes, and certainly ran as fast as the real one. Josh took note of the Golisopod that began hauling the heavy delivery to the hangar, waving at the bug-type in greeting.

"Other than the rifts?" Josh asked. "Next for me is Hoenn's Champion Assessment. With the only Raikou I knew having died in the Kanto war, and the one I got to ride being no more than a familiar, I think proving myself as one of Hoenn's elite combatants, beyond even the prowess of a Gym Leader, will garner more favor within the upper echelons of the League." That, and to avenge his family that had been put through untold trauma at Team Rocket's hands when they tried to take over Goldenrod.

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 12:29:12 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Raikou, huh? No shit.” Angelo's mouth presses into a line and he nods along, expression a picture of impressed surprise. “Holding onto a dream like that for so long, I hope it lived up to your expectations, Devlin.

He's honestly not entirely sure what Josh is going on about.

Still, he reaches out and gives the man a light smack on the shoulder regardless, as if to say 'well done'.

I've heard about those. They're the new sparkly thing in town.

Excited chatter had rumbled through the streets thnks to the League's shake up of the system. Angelo himself had been intrigued, if just to flex his competitive muscles but temptation hadn't rooted deep enough for the interview to not deter him.  

You've got some fierce competition ahead of you if you're lookin' to be one of Hoenn's Champions. You've got to get past the Elite Four, right? Feelin' confident?” 

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2023 17:56:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"It did and then some," Josh answered. "It was exhilarating, blissful... and even humbling. When the Beast was at their fastest, my body just couldn't handle it. I'll never forget the experience, though. And it's something I want another chance at. To conquer it." Of course, that wasn't happening; the Raikou he knew died in the Kanto war. "Until you've ridden a legendary Pokémon before, you have no idea just how fast they are." Ironic words to Angelo, those were. If only he knew...

The topic shifted to the new Champion Assessment that had spread from Paldea. "It's hard to say," Josh replied. "Hoenn's supposedly got the hardest Champion Assessment in the entire world. I'm as confident as I can be, as I'm on a first-name basis with three of them. Would even say I'm good friends with . , though, is an enigma to me." It was hard to say which he would struggle the most with. All four would be rough battles. Not to mention he had to get through Entei if he wanted the title of Champion for himself.

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 15:19:37 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Beneath the surface amusement ripples, stretching as far as Latios and Latias roamed within their dominion of clouds. Wind howling, whipped up by their unrestrained ascent, in tandem. If only he knew, indeed...

I can only imagine.” Angelo smiles, truth of a self-satisfied secret left hidden behind its kind fabrication. 

Oh? Are they helping you train, then?

He nods as Josh explains about his upcoming assessment, although he doesn't think being on a first name basis with any of them will smoothen the road.

Remaining an enigma, hiding your hand, is often the smart move to play.  

Next time you run into , you'll have to tell him that I say hi. It's been a while.” Not out of much pleasantness, mind you. Just out of a reminder he hadn't forgotten last years fish and wife threatening drama.

Fun times. 

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 20:21:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Even if he only got one chance at it, he was happy with how that one chance went. Before he gave the command for Raikou to use Extreme Speed, he was having the time of his life. THere was nothing like going faster on the ground than even swift bird Pokémon like Skarmory flew.

"Callan helped me a lot, but so did ," Josh clarified. "The two of us have a long history together, and once my Pyroar, Aslan, is out of rehab and feeling confident enough to battle, we're going to have a battle that will get me ready for the Elite Four." That battle was one of the big promises that gave the shiny, albino lion the motivation to push through rehab, no matter how painful it might be.

"Will do!" Josh nodded in agreement. "We see each other fairly regularly. I'm a bit nervous about meeting him in battle. We've done a lot of work together for the League, and his Pokémon are all just terrifyingly strong. But it's why he's Elite Four." Even if Josh was offered a position on the Elite Four, he would turn it down; he loved his Gym far too much to give it up.

{WC: 205}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

esuna

angel, rogue bastard
he / him
twenty-six
july 21st
alto mare, johto
heterosexual
pilot
nautica owner
starblood ✦
awards
2,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @angelo
angelo vestri
kick the tires [c]
POSTED ON Jan 29, 2023 12:30:21 GMT
angelo vestri Avatar
Angelo smiles pleasantly. Fabricated.

With all the support you're getting, it sounds like you'll do just fine.” There's a sour tang on the tip of his tongue although it doesn't drip into the open.

Don't sell yourself short before you even get in the ring, Devlin. 'Strong pokémon' aren't unbreakable.” He jabs a thumb back at his hangar behind him. “Like when I repaired this ol' thing. You just need the right tools and technique for the job.

already put himself on a pedestal made of his own making. No need for anyone else to willingly add to the pile.

Is there anything else you need me to sign off or are we good?