6,105 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Flawless Victory [S][C/Alec]
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2023 16:03:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
had not just defeated Josh at his Gym. He had embarrassed him. Even his matches against Elite Four and had gone better than the absolute stomping the former Gym Leader had given him. Since claiming the Stark Badge, Josh's battle confidence had gone up, up, and up. He had even repelled Gym Leaders from other regions, denying them the Hoenn League Quick Badge. Defeating a Paldean Gym Leader who was on vacation was the biggest confidence boost he had in weeks.

That boost had evaporated, and then some, when Alec had defeated him completely unscathed.

He had invited the Gym Leader to his Gym after his short battle hours today. They weren't even his battles; they were Shawn's, who was Interim Gym Leader until September, when his restitution was over. Raikiri, his Zeraora, was in the middle of the grass battle court, Josh putting the electric-type's saddle on him for the first time since getting him fitted at Verdanturf. "Easy, Raikiri!" Josh yelped, nearly getting his arm crushed underneath the electric-type's front paw as he adjusted some straps on the underside. While it was unusual for Zeraora to run with a quadrupedal instead of a bipedal stance, it was not unheard of. Raikiri just happened to be one of those.

{WC: 213}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Raikiri       Zeraora        Good
close tab

played by

balance

Al
he/him
twenty-six
June 17
Blackthorn City, Johto
bisexual
gym leader
gym leader
53 height
53 height
This soul of mine breaks over and over ...
awards
291 posts
alec foster DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @alec
alec foster
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2023 4:31:53 GMT
alec foster Avatar
Alec had been offered to have his talk with later in the day, which was probably for the best. It would not only give Josh time to 'cool down' so to speak, but it would also give Alec the time to think about what he needed to actually say to the Gym Leader. Alec admitted that he wasn't very good at this sort of thing, but regardless, it was something that should be addressed. Lashing out the way he did at a Gym Challenger was something that he should never do.

It made Alec think of the time when he was utterly helpless against 's team when he challenged him for his own gym badge long ago. Although, Alec didn't lash out, but he was somewhat angry at the fact that he was powerless to do anything in that battle. Alec believed that Josh was feeling the same way, given how their battle went. After Alec checked in at the desk, he was allowed to make his way to where Josh was, seeing that he was setting up a saddle on a rather peculiar pokemon - definitely one that Alec had not seen before. "Yo," Alec called out to Josh giving him a wave.

"Figured that you'd probably be expecting me right about now," Alec had said. Alec gave Josh the time he needed in order to finish what he was doing. Then after Josh was done; giving Alec his full attention, the dragon tamer spoke once more. "So, ... about what happened in our battle," Alec said, starting to refer to Josh's reaction at the time.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,105 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 13, 2023 16:37:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The serious look on Alec's face started to guilt trip Josh. "Hey, Alec," the Gym Leader waved. "This is Raikiri, one of my newest team members, and he's already proven himself a powerhouse. Might even challenge the Elite Four with him if i can get him ready in time." The Zeraora reared and crashed his PLASMA FISTS together to flex his power before getting back on all fours again.

"That battle, yes..." Josh sighed. "That's one of the hardest losses I've ever taken. Generally speaking, anyone that can achieve a flawless victory... one where a challenger's entire Pokémon team is unharmed after a battle... either the challenger is truly Champion Rank worthy, or there's a serious issue with the Gym Leader's skill. And I'm afraid of it being the latter." It was one tough pill to swallow. Perhaps this was the inadequacy  had found in Josh's battle prowess? Or was this something new entirely?

{WC: 156}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

balance

Al
he/him
twenty-six
June 17
Blackthorn City, Johto
bisexual
gym leader
gym leader
53 height
53 height
This soul of mine breaks over and over ...
awards
291 posts
alec foster DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @alec
alec foster
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2023 23:06:31 GMT
alec foster Avatar
Alec stood there, smiling faintly when Josh introduced his new pokemon, Raikiri. It seemed like it was a really strong pokemon as well. Alec was kind of surprised when Josh had mentioned possibly using Raikiri to challenge the Elite Four when the time came, granted he had enough time to get Raikiri ready.

Alec wondered though while keeping his thoughts to himself if he were ready for something like that. Asking that out loud would more than likely upset Josh, which wasn’t the reason why he was here. Alec continues to listen to Josh speak, waiting for him to say his piece. “I had a feeling that was the reason why,” Alec thought to himself, knowing that sense of helplessness.

“Tell me something Josh,” Alec paused, a small smile forming where Alec’s lips were. “If you feel you truly are lacking in skill, then what do you believe should be done for you to improve?” Alec asks him. “In my personal opinion, I don’t think it has anything to do with your skill at all,” The dragon tamer continues.

“You remember what it is that Gym Leaders are taught before officially taking their positions?” Alec asks him. Alec was sure that he knew, not asking Josh because he thought he didn’t know. “Gym Leaders are groomed so that they can compose themselves, no matter the situation that’s standing in their way. While their roles in the League are minor compared to those like the Elite Four, or even the Champion themselves, we still play a rather important role.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,105 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2023 16:49:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The frown on Josh's face disappeared, Josh's hair standing on end as Raikiri discharged quite a bit of excess static from his fur. Alec was a fierce combatant, yes, but he was also compassionate. Being on the receiving end of compassion rather than the giving end was heartwarming. "Alec, I've gone through so much as a Gym Leader. I spent weeks training with on how to handle Trick Room strategies. I spent weeks training with on how to handle extremely tough Pokémon. Even came out with one of her Ultra Beasts... a blindingly fast one. Even faster than any of my Pokémon. You, though... you're the first challenger I've had since I took the mantle that both outsped and overpowered me."

Josh's frown turned upside down when Alec mentioned the loss wasn't due to a skill issue at all. "Thank you. That's reassuring." He listened to Alec's reminder of what it meant to be a Gym Leader. He froze up for a while before responding. "And I failed to compose myself in battle with you, though I feel that lack of composure did not impact the outcome of the match. Our role as a Gym Leader is to pass on the lessons of our Gyms and to ensure the combat skills of our challengers are up to League standards."

{WC: 224}
{PC: 3}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights