6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Take Me Out to the Ballgame [M][C/NAVY]
POSTED ON May 31, 2023 6:37:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was a long trip from Mauville to Lilycove City, even for a mount as swift as Raikiri. The distance would be worth it, though; while he didn't want to take a trip abroad to celebrate his return to the work he put his heart and soul into, he wanted to get far enough away from his hometown to make it feel like a vacation. He wondered if felt the same way, given they were both celebrating new responsibilities for the greater good of Hoenn. Navy would be Dewford's new Gym Leader, and Josh would be returning to his seat in Mauville at full capacity after a truncated sentence that still felt like an eternity.

What better way to celebrate than be VIPs at a baseball game? Unfortunately for them, VIP status at a Major League game was a bit out of the League's budget; they had to settle for a Minor League game. He had no idea who any of the players were or how the Lilycove and Cherrygrove teams matched up. The duo had their own small suite behind home plate, far better than any of the bleacher seats less wealthy fans would be able to afford. As much of a pain in the butt as being a celebrity was at times, it sure had its perks.

"If I didn't say it before, congratulations on your position as Dewford's Gym Leader," Josh greeted Navy as the ceremonial first pitch was thrown, zeroes lighting up across the scoreboard. This was apparently a tense, important game, being the tiebreaker in a five-gave series between the Hoennian and Johtonian teams.

In Josh's lap was a 12-inch Raikou plush the Mauville Gym Leader had become known for; bringing it and having it on display was a condition of Wyndon Pharma Stadium giving him a spot in the VIP Lounge. He had to be recognizable, after all! "I'm just glad to have this behind me. It's the same sort of feeling you have after you've lost a lot of weight. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've been to a live sporting event as a spectator since I came to Hoenn."

{WC: 362}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora            Good
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON May 31, 2023 16:37:34 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Here he was, thinking they’d just go sit in two normal seats. Be a normal pair of guys, enjoying the ball game. Leave it to Josh to swing them some VIP tickets. It’s just another notch on the belt. Another way for him to feel weird. The eyes of the region are upon him.[break][break]

It feels weird. Weirder still when they show up on the jumbotron in the middle of the first inning. Josh has his Raikou plushie in his lap. Navy’s got Kizashi, his newborn Totodile, resting in his lap. The result of a love affair between ’s Feraligatr and his own Cyclizar, the baby’s excited to see the world. Navy hears an audible roll of ‘daw’ across the stadium when he caresses the baby’s head.[break][break]

Arceus, he would’ve preferred the normal seats. But it’s fine. He’s just here relaxing with Josh. No thinking about Gabe. Minimal thinking about Raikou. Navy understands that the celebrity racer still has an image to maintain. Even if that part of his life is over, it’s permanently a part of his brand now.[break][break]

Hell, if Josh ever did end up Raikou’s avatar, he’d end up a millionaire off of film and commercial deals alone. There’s a compelling case to be made there for helping the Master of Faster find him right there.[break][break]

Thanks, man. Congrats on getting appointed back to your post as gym leader. Shame we couldn’t have done our gym match personally.” He slurps on a cola, eating a hot dog procured from a passing salesman.[break][break]

Come on down sometime, I’m prepping a special challenge for ya.” There’s something wicked in his smile. Friendly, but wicked. Devious.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 6:45:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Yes, they got a suite in the stadium, but it was also a Minor League game. While the players were still technically professionals, the games wouldn't be as clean as Major League ones. Decent to good regular seats at a Major League game were almost the same price as VIP seats at a Minor League one. With him having his League job (and his good paycheck) back, he could afford to be a little lavish. When Josh saw his face on the big screen, he stood up and raised the plush Raikou to face level.

One advantage of being in a suite was he could turn the radio broadcast of the game on and hear the announcers from his favorite sports network. "It's no biggie," Josh replied as he sipped on some canned lemonade, holding off on getting any food until a few innings had passed. "Come down to my Gym some time when the volume isn't quite so bad, and I'd be down to spar. You still owe me a dragon race, too!"

It seemed Navy had something unique cooking for Josh, as well; a faux-malevolent grin on the Dewford Leader-elect's face was a giveaway he was really looking forward to seeing his friend at the Gym. "I plan on it next time I take some time off," the young man winked, his same-side cheek bulging."

The first inning of the game was uneventful, neither team getting even a single hit. "I dunno about you, but these zero-zero games bore me."

{WC: 252}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 7:54:18 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Listening to the announcers was thrilling in its own way. Looking out across the playing field, Navy feels like these players. Relates to them. They’re nobody important, but if he had to guess, every last person out there on the field wants to change that. It’s their dream to make it to the big leagues.[break][break]
You know, we were like them, once upon a time.” He reflects to Josh, watching the players strike out again and again. Most of them leave with a smile on their face. A few grimace. Some laugh their failure to hit the ball off. Walk it off with a shrug and a wave.[break][break]
Two guys, just wanting to make it big. Well…truth be told, I still feel like I’m trying to make it big.” It’s not imposter syndrome. Navy knows he’s a good trainer. If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have survived Dewford. He was not afforded the luxury of battle lines and long-standing allies. He fought tooth and nail simply to survive. In so doing, he proved himself to Goode and the rest.[break][break]
I believe in ‘em. Lots of these guys have potential. You can see it in their eyes.” These are the people he’s fighting for. Baseball’s a pure sport. Not like Pokemon training. Two teams of humans pitting everything they have against one another to try and come out on top. The great Unovan pastime, which took the eastern regions by storm.[break][break]
…don’t think they’re ready to take on the Castelia Bankees.”[break][break]
A pause as he reflects on Josh’s offer to race dragons.[break][break]
I dunno how you do it, man. You or Freya. Seems like most dragons I meet wanna bite my head off rather than lemme ride ‘em.” [break][break]
I don’t know how you do it is a phrase repeated by this man so much that it borders on mantra.

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 8:35:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As the second and third innings of what appeared to be a pitchers' duel passed, Josh became more invested in his conversation with Navy than the baseball game. "Like there's Minor League Baseball and Major League Baseball, there is a Minor League Gym Circuit and a Major League Gym Circuit," Josh shared his partner's reflection with one of his own. "I told you that I got promoted up from the Minor League after a little over a month of being there, right? That's how I became Mauville's Gym Leader." Though the Racing Grounds behind 's Minor League offices on Route 111 were by now overgrown, they still held sentiment to Josh. "I've got a special place there I want to show you sometime. Remember the Flagventures campaign the Rangers ran in the spring? My special place... my special sanctuary is still there."

Josh sighed as the teams switched sides for the start of the fourth inning. The game was still scoreless. "I feel that, too. You know what the AQUA Initiative is? I want to fight alongside them. That's part of what turned me into the monster I used to be. When I went to and for advice, the single biggest takeaway was not to focus on what you wanted to do with situations out of your control, but to do the best you could with what you can control." He raised his Raikou plush to his face and cuddled it much like a child would. "I still want him. But I don't need him to do great things." The look on his face was genuine; far different than it was when they met in his office after the Battle of Dewford.

He had changed.

"Are yours born in the wild or bred?" Josh asked. "I think I just have a knack for breaking Pokémon to the bridle, but from what I hear, bred ones tend to be more pliable." Thoughts raced through his head about what he could do to help. "I don't get why, though; haven't you known your Garchomp for a really long time? You'd think a Pokémon that knows you so well would be more--"

An eruption came from the crowd as the broadcast zoomed in on an upset batter jawing with the home plate umpire. The slow motion replay showed all Josh needed to see: a called third strike on a pitch way below the zone. "Arceus, that was knee level," Josh said with an eye roll. "Is that Westwood? He got run from the Major League. He has no patience with --did he just throw him out? No. You can't do that." Even the commentary agreed, remarking for the frustrated player to get his money's worth after being unfairly ejected from the game.

{WC: 463}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 16:53:28 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

If you don’t listen to anything else I ever tell you, Josh. Listen to this.” His voice grows grave. It’s not the anger from before, but it’s clear he takes what he’s about to say very seriously. “There are certain Pokemon that only let themselves get caught. You can’t ever really tame a wild thing. Dragons are somethin’ else.”[break][break]
He thinks about Freya and her thirty Salamence. She claims she trains with each of them every week. Training with Vortigern and his small cabal of dragons alone is hell. A full-time job. Shuwen and Navy have formed a bond stronger than steel as they’ve wrangled with the black dragon week after week.[break][break]
At any time, a Garchomp, a Tyranitar, anything like that, could just decide it’s done being your Pokemon. Most Pokemon like that aren’t your style, but just be careful.Be careful is a lesson he’s had to take to heart. While Kizashi slumbers softly upon Navy’s lap, six more pokeballs hang at his side. He’s always ready for a scrap. Ready for Rocket to show up at any moment. If being a gym leader makes him a celebrity, he’ll play that part. It’s not a bad role to play.[break][break]
But, at the end of the day, he’s a warrior. One sworn to defend the League. In his mind, he is the league’s sword. He may not be a knight in shining armor, but he’ll fight for Goode because that’s what a certain someone would want.[break][break]
…but they’re here to enjoy a game.[break][break]
Man. That umpire’s shit.” Navy laughs. “That call’s almost as bad as the one he made in that game last year, when Koga should’ve hit that home run. Ruined the world series.” Navy’s gotta admit, he loves the drama. It’s petty. Meaningless. Adds spice to life without harming anyone.[break][break]
Arceus bless baseball.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 6:09:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh understood the intent of Navy's words. Their experiences in the Interdream Zone and the Ultra Wilds in general proved that there were truly hostile wild Pokémon out there. "I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate the sentiment and abundance of caution," Josh began to answer, "but with all due respect, the relationship between trainer and Pokémon is a two-way street. It's all about finding commonalities between you and your Pokémon. Some Pokémon, such as many dragon-types, are wilder than others, and require a lot more time. Look at Kokusho. Remember my Hydreigon, Navy? He was a wild thing for the longest time before we finally found something we could bond over. He's still a handful, but I can hold his reins with little trouble now."

A pause as he watched a well-struck ball in anticipation of a Cherrygrove home run. Unfortunately for him, the ball curved just foul. "If you're willing to put in the time and effort, any Pokémon can be tamed. Even a god." While overly quaint and optimistic, it was his perspective. "I've never heard of any reputable trainer having that experience. Pokémon want people. They need people to grow stronger. If you mistreat your partners, of course they'll turn on you. But as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve, Pokémon are your partners for life. That's my experience, anyway." Perhaps the Mauville Leader's contagious positivity was going too far?

Josh scoffed. "It's not even Westwood's missed calls that I have a problem with. It's how he'll throw players out of the game without even warning them. The number of pitchers he's thrown out after a single hit-by-pitch while he was in the Majors was appalling. I can assure you that if he gets back to the Majors, he won't be umpiring any postseason games any time soon." While the game was scoreless still in the top of the 5th inning, Lilycove's pitcher had walked two batters in a row, loading the bases. With only one out, even a sacrifice fly was dangerous, capable of scoring one or even two runs.

{WC: 358}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 6:52:20 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

There’s points he wants to make. Counterpoints. Observations. Citations from historical texts. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter. If Josh never trains something like Vortigern, that’s his victory. If he never deals with a Pokemon like that, his life is better for it. There’s merit to his words, too. Maybe, if he puts his mind to it, he can come to some sort of understanding with the creature. They already have – at least enough for the dragon to not want to kill him.[break][break]
But they’re at a bloody ball game. No point in doing this here. So, Navy gets another hot dog. Chows down on it. Listens to Josh talk about the game in the way only someone who truly cares about the sport can.[break][break]
He himself, he only uses these games as background noise. They’re a fun activity to share with someone. Navy doesn’t care much about who wins, he just gets on the edge of his seat when the game gets tense. Watches with his heart caught in his throat at the thrilling near-misses and moment to moment minutia that leads to victory or defeat. That’s the sort of fan that he is.[break][break]
Yeah, guess you have some points.” Navy acquiesces regarding what they were discussing. “Junior’s a good boy. Just a big baby in a Tyranitar’s body.” He laughs at the way his Tyranitar carries on. The thing’s taller than he is now, weighing twice the weight of a normal human, and he still tackles Navy to the ground and hugs him.[break][break]
How the hell’d this guy get his job if he’s so bad at it, though?

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2023 7:30:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While Josh had a passion for Pokémon racing in particular, he knew enough about sports just from going to sports bars and watching games of all kinds. His father was also a sports aficionado. Perhaps that's where his love of sports came from? He would probably never know. What mattered is it drew him to creating one of the most popular Gym challenges in Hoenn. It was always booked out for weeks. He had been churning through challenges so quickly that he had appointment slots for battle challenges going unfilled. It seemed almost every trainer in Hoenn wanted to challenge the Master of Faster in his element. Perhaps not to get the badge, but just to get the adrenaline rush of riding at some of the highest speeds a Pokémon can carry a person at.

"Is it just that Garchomp that's been giving you trouble?" Josh asked. "Pokémon of all kinds are out there. Have you been around much? Her Beedrill acts the exact opposite of how you would expect one to act. Just because a species is stereotypically temperamental doesn't mean every specimen of its kind is. I've had this mean old Lapras stuck in customs for months. You wouldn't think it would be possible for a Lapras to be a rough and tumble ride, but he can be." The anecdote about Junior made Josh smile, too. "Aslan's that way, too. My Pyroar that almost died in Meteno. He never truly grew out of being a Litleo. That's why Pokémon are so cool and fun to raise. They all have personalities, just like us!"

Lilycove's two walks really hurt them. "Tenure, honestly," Josh answered. "Westwood's before my time; he's been umpiring since the late eighties. He's gotta retire soon." Even with Lilycove's right fielder making a terrific running catch for the second out, it would simply take too much time for the outfielder to get the ball back in before the runner at second base covered the 180 feet needed to score. "That was a hell of a throw," he remarked, the voluminous crowd's shouts even rocking their suite some. "They almost got the runner from second. Would have been a hell of a double play."

It wasn't to be, though; a shallow fly ball left the base runner stranded, leaving the home team trailing by two with the bottom of the fifth inning to come. "I'm gonna get a few franks myself. Back in a flash!" With that, Josh left his Raikou plush in his seat and headed for the nearest concession stand.

{WC: 430}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2023 18:20:57 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

I remember Aslan.” The Sheriff says with a nostalgic smile. “You had him the first time we went for a ride. Good guy.” That seems like a lifetime ago, October. There was still a meteor in the sky. He was still on the sidelines. An occasional beer with Kyle after the two amgios drifted apart, a hushed conversation with Thomas. Those were the only hints he ever had about how bad things truly are in Hoenn, just under the surface. A truth hidden from sight, from the people enjoying this ballgame.[break][break]

A truth he too must now safeguard. For people to be safe, Hoenn must have guardians. The few must suffer so that the many…[break][break]

…can go absolutely ballistic as one of the players does the unexpected. Some unassuming kid, no older than 19, in a ‘3’ Jersey, knocks the ball out of the park. Navy hears the masses go wild. They stand, they cheer, they pitch a fit. It’s excitement. Jubilation distilled down to a consonance of sound that puts every band in Hoenn to shame. Bliss. Fervor. Every man and woman in that stadium sees themselves in that unassuming player, sheepish now that the time of his tribunal has passed.[break][break]

He takes his run along the bases, as all men must. The camera focuses on him. Westwood’s face is beet red. Navy is curious about whether he will try and make a call against this player. The Sheriff hopes not, for the umpire’s sake. If Josh’s story is any indication, these people barely tolerate him as things stand. A call against the hero of the moment would see him torn apart.[break][break]

When Josh returns, he finds that there are people waiting for him outside the door. Children. Four, ranging from seven to fourteen. The eldest, a boy with long blonde hair, looks embarrassed to be there.[break][break]

Mister, Mister, are you really Josh Devlin?!” A nine-year old girl with blue hair and pigtails ask. “We saw you on the big screen. Can we get your autograaaph?”[break][break]

Navy simply smiles from inside the box.[break][break]

Looks like you’ve got fans, Josh.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2023 7:46:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Still is," Josh nodded, starting to get lost in nostalgia. "I've got two more Pyroar at the Gym now, and a third on the way. Simba and Kovu, and I haven't decided on a name for the new one yet. They're some of the most loyal big cats you can raise, and they're some of the most well-rounded Pokémon to hop on. They're really fast, with just enough stamina and turning to do well on almost any course. They're also vicious in battle. People think paw and claw are a cat's greatest weapons, but a Pyroar's is its voice. Their roars are just deafening--"

Before he could continue, a roar of cheers echoed from around the duo in their suite, Josh's attention drawn to the sound of a baseball bat crunching against the baseball. The home plate umpire's hand waved in a circle after the shot barely remained in fair territory, confirming the home run. "And all of a sudden it's five to nothing."

The trip to the nearest concession stand was still long, and so was the line; Josh found himself standing in line for the rest of the fifth inning and the top of the sixth inning. Lilycove had managed to score one run off a walk into an RBI double.

His trip back would result in further delays as several young children surrounded him, having been behind him in line and asking their parents to get their food for them. He set his franks and can of lemonade down. "Absolutely!" he answered with a beaming smile. The Gym Leader signed each of the four requested objects. "The Master of Faster, Josh Devlin. If any of you grow up to become Pokémon trainers, I'd love to see you at Mauville Racing Grounds! Now, enjoy the rest of the ball game! I think Lilycove's got a good shot at coming back here!" Of course, he just said that to make the children happy. He wanted the Johtonian team to win.

He picked up his food and headed back to the box with Navy. "Phew, it was so busy! Everyone must have had the same idea to get their food before the seventh inning stretch."

R  H  E
CHE    5  4  0
LIL    1  6  0

BOT 6th  1 OUT
RUNNER     1st

{WC: 367}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2023 7:46:16 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Josh is better at handling a crowd than he is. Sitting in his seat in quiet contemplation, he watches the younger gym leader work the crowd. Regards them. Letting Josh take the lead, he only adds in his two cents at the end, once the kids are satisfied with their autographs.[break][break]
Ranger corps always needs people, too.” He peppers a smile across the words. “And the Pokemon Centers. Never can have too many Nurse Joys.” He recalls a certain character from pop culture. While the kids don’t seem to respond, he takes their neutrality as its own victory. They depart and it’s back to the game. Back to just Navy and Josh.[break][break]
Good kids, good kids.” He muses. Once more he recalls being back at Slateport, on a beach with his younger brother and the man who would soon become Hoenn’s Top Champion. He recalls the simply lie he told his brother, that there was no red Gyarados in the water. People have to be allowed to make mistakes, or they’ll make mistakes when it really counts.[break][break]
I’m tellin’ ya, man. The best time to get food is before the rush. My mom taught me that, too. Only thing I hated was her sneaking us out of concerts during the encore.” It saved them an hour and a fight with a sea of people, but what’s the point of a concert if you miss the concert?[break][break]

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2023 5:00:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Until he became a Gym Leader, Josh wasn't terribly charismatic. It was one of those things he had to learn to be an effective leader. Month of galvanizing, as harsh as it was, had made him a much more well-rounded person. While he wasn't the greatest of leaders, having to come to his superiors for help more often than he would have liked, he was popular for his clear passion for his position. Mauville Racing Grounds was a radical departure from any previous Gym that had been run in the city, and its success showed. It filled a unique niche that ultimately blossomed into one of the fastest-growing sports in Hoenn. Many trainers who fell short in the Gym challenge found their calling in Pokémon speedsports, making the circuit increasingly competitive. Having two different sources of fame in Hoenn didn't hurt his popularity, either, what with having his legacy as a semi-professional racer before becoming Mauville's Leader.

"They do," Josh agreed. "And Navy, that's why even when I became Mauville's Gym Leader, I didn't give up Ranging. I like being there for people in need, no matter how small the need may be. Why? You know others will pay it forward. That's what being human is all about: helping one another. When you do something nice for someone, you do so knowing that someone else will save your butt later in a similar way."

With the crowd gone, Josh could enjoy his franks and waffle fries, each lathered with a thin layer of ketchup. It was tasty stuff. Pricey, but tasty. "To avoid the exit rush, I'm sure," he related, though he was not much of a concert-goer himself. He preferred electronic music, particularly dramatic-sounding tracks. Anything that could be reasonably put to an epic fantasy battle was his jam. High octane tracks.

With the seventh inning stretch complete, Lilycove's team was up to bat. After Cherrygrove turned a double play, the Hoennian team began a two-out rally. A surprise bunt resulted in an infield hit. A line drive zoomed past the shortstop. A third fell into shallow left center, out of reach of Cherrygrove's left fielder. A fourth bounced off the left field wall, and all of a sudden it was a one-run game with a runner in scoring position. The crowd roared time and time again, cheering loudly for hit after hit. "Strike! Him! Out!" Josh chanted. "Strike! Him! Out!"

R  H  E
CHE    5  5  0
LIL    4 10  0

BOT 7th  2 OUT
RUNNER     2nd

{WC: 403}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 1:40:16 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Never gotten the whole ranger thing.” Navy admits. “Not when Ollie told me about it. Not after seeing ‘em in action. Not after knowing you. Just one of those things I’m not cut out for, ya know?” Different strokes for different folks. Michael Navidson trying to be a ranger would be like trying to sheath a hatchet in a sword scabbard. It requires a certain…[break][break]
Purity. That’s the word.[break][break]
Pokemon are too innocent for my tastes. People? People are somethin’ else.” They’re in a sea of people. Pokemon are scattered about the crowd. So close to the sea, wingulls are flying overhead singing their gull songs. “But I’m glad you’re doin’ your good turn. Kinda sounds like somethin’ I used to read ‘bout in a book to my brother. Some knight, who came after their great heroes, said somethin’…how did it go…”[break][break]
He’s not a knight, but certain virtues of chivalry and knighthood stick out in his heart. Navy would never say he conducts himself with high honor. He’s a warrior, who prefers open conflict. Underhanded tactics don’t come naturally to him, but that’s only because he prefers strength.[break][break]
Before the light, there was dark. The dark is always there. It’s the temptation to take the easy way out. It’s all the little hurts that add up to hate. All being good is, at the end of the day, is lighting up a torch. It’s just a speck. You hold it for as long as you can, then you light up someone else’s torch. It isn’t much, but it’s victory. So long as the fire’s lit up, the light wins.”[break][break]
Words spoken to Gabe from a book, paraphrased for Josh. There is no book in front of him. He’s trying to recall that burning memory. There’s his brother’s smile there, too. Kindled embers of heroism sparked in his heart, planted there by him.[break][break]
But there are more important matters. The game is reaching its crescendo. Their trashy food demands to be eaten. The battle on the field will soon play out.[break][break]
Strike! Him! Out!

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,089 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 7:43:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Ranging definitely wasn't for everyone. "I found that out too. When I first came to Hoenn, I was at a crossroads. You see, on the northwest outskirts of Fortree City, there's this small shrine dedicated to Raikou. Murals of him and the like, and supposedly a Raikou fang is hidden within, too. One of the first things I did here as an odd job was run a patrol by there. I thwated it from an attack alongside Councilwoman . She told me I'd be good both as a Ranger and as an Officer." The memories came flooding back. It was the start of his search for Raikou in Hoenn... and the start of an ugly obsession that took a near-murder and months of hell to bottle back up.

He cuddled his Raikou plush just thinking about it.

"I decided I wanted to be a Ranger because I didn't like the rigidity of Law Enforcement. And I'm glad I did. Getting to saddle up, head out into the wilds, and not only save lives, but share the joy of being in the saddle with other people makes it so worthwhile." Officers needed a different kind of strength. They needed to be stern. They needed people skills. And most importantly, they needed personal combat skills. They couldn't be afraid to put a bullet through someone's body. "I think I made the right decision. You're tough enough to be in Law Enforcement. You see, I occasionally take Law Enforcement tickets that fit my unique talents. The number of times Slateport and Mauville have asked me to help with a police chase... I've lost count. But I get the job done. There's not a faster Pokémon rider in Hoenn."

Navy and Josh truly were two sides of the same coin.

"And that, I've learned through talking with you and others, is the difference between resentment and true hate. Despite what they did to my family, I now realize what I have toward ... what I have toward Rocket... is resentment and not true hatred. Resentment sparks from a single moment. Hatred, like you said, is a lot of little moments that build up." It was sad that it took what it did for him to make that realization, but it was an important step in putting his life back together.

The loud sound of a bat crushing baseball woke Josh up from his trance. "Holy... that's crushed. If this stays fair, it's outta here." He folded his hands with bated breath, watching the baseball fly toward the stands beyond right field. The umpires convened after the ball bounced off the yellow foul pole. The slow motion replay played back several times as the commentators analyzed the hit, trying to get an idea of how the umpires would rule.

R  H  E
CHE    5  5  0
LIL    4 10  0

BOT 7th  2 OUT
RUNNER     2nd

{WC: 465}
{PC: 8}