he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Occupying a Bunch of Gremlins (M)
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 0:14:44 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Despite being in Littleroot for less than a year, Hideo was finding himself to be a fixture of the community. Unavoidable, considering he was their Gym Leader now, but even he was surprised how prolific he was becoming in the small town he'd never been part of.

When he wasn't too busy with Gym Battles, he'd help around. Small things usually, like helping deal with some mischievous Pokemon or helping people find their kids that wandered too far. This day, a local summer camp asked if he'd be willing to show off some of his Pokemon - which he soon learned was so the normal camp counselors could take a break.

He was focused on keeping the kids occupied; a good deal were playing soccer with his Cinderace, while others were flying atop his Drampa. His Galvantula played Hide-and-go-Seek with the kids alongside its Joltiks, and his Ambipom was dominating a game of dodgeball.

Hideo had wanted to set up something with his Psychic Pokemon, but he still had to pay attention to any mischief-makers; already he had to stop two of them from climbing his Alolan Exeggutor, the Hatterene with him pulling them off Psychically. There were also a good number of kids that effectively wanted to interview him about his Gym, about why he ran away from home, about why he stopped going to school.

He'd heard he wasn't the only Gym Leader that'd been invited to help here, though he wasn't briefed on who it'd be. He'd accept any relief at this point, to give him a chance to think.

Mission: Summer Camp
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 7:31:51 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had been chosen to help out with a summer camp in Littleroot for one reason: his ride Pokémon made him very good with children, and had enough relatively small ones to go around. The shade that the dense woods provided let even Inky, the Glaceon Josh rode to the campground on, handle the summer heat well. Surrounding him were the ice-type's seven brothers and sisters: the entire Eeveelution rainbow, so giant as to be near the limits for how big their kind could grow. Each one of them wore a saddle that covered almost their entire backs. While they could bear an adult rider, and just so at that, they would be perfect for older children and even young teens.

"Morning, Hideo!" Josh waved, a crowd of attendees surrounding him, hooting at the large Eeveelutions. One of the more excitable kids leaped at Kairi's sides, the Vaporeon wagging her long tail back and forth cutely. "Your Gym been keeping you busy? I've noticed a big drop-off in challenger volume over the summer. Wonder if it's seasonal." He sighed at seeing another jump at Kamuy's side, the glow of the Umbreon's rings barely visible in daylight. "My Gym is really well known for these eight Pokémon. They're special to me, and I think they'd get along well with the kids. Look at those two. They'll grow up to be great Trainers some day."

NOTE: Josh does not have Kairi's or Blinky's Poké Balls on his belt.

{WC: 235}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Kairi         Vaporeon       Good
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Clyde         Flareon        Good
Basil         Leafeon        Good
Inky          Glaceon        Good
Janus         Espeon         Good
Kamuy         Umbreon        Good
Pinky         Sylveon**      Good
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 23:39:58 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
The message passed through Hideo's Psychic Pokemon over the boy himself: reinforcements had arrived, thank Arceus. And with a good deal of Eeveelutions, as the children that soon approached them said aloud.

Hideo approached his savior, just about ready to thank him for saving his life there - until he recognized the voice. Josh Devlin, the one who'd tested his challenge back when he was still in Minor League. The one that Eris said tried to kill her.

The displeasure was clear on Hideo's face - only for a moment, as his displeasure quickly moved towards the Hatterene pinching his flank. Not in front of the kids was the message he got from that - and he didn't doubt he'd get more than a pinch if he didn't listen.

Right. He'd save that conversation for another time, when they were in private.

Hideo resumed his approach, a forced smile on his face. Focus on the positive. "Mornin', Josh. It's slowing down, yeah, but we're still getting a decent number of challenges. And when I got enough free time, I try to help around town."

As best he could.

A good deal of kids broke away from their games to go look at Josh's Pokemon, gossiping over which were cooler or cuter or fuzzier. "Well, can't say I can take a look, but it sounds like the kids like'em. Think I would've tried riding them too if I was their size, but I'm too big for that now; kinda realized it last time I tried to ride my Lycanroc years ago."

He had plenty of appropriately-sized Pokemon to ride atop if he needed.

"But hey, anything to keep these guys under control. Gives me a minute to actually think of something to set up. Think you can keep them occupied for a bit? I can keep my Pokemon around to help; I won't leave you stranded like the camp counselors did to me."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2023 5:03:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The look on Hideo's face did not go unnoticed, as did the forced smile, though now was not the right time to press the Gym Leader for answers. There were young children to be entertained. "Sounds like the life of a Gym Leader. I've got around two dozen employees at Mauville Gym, and I still have my hands full there. Ranger contracts keep me busy, too. With gone, I practically run Mauville by myself now. I wouldn't have it any other way. Wouldn't give up my Gym for anything." He sniffed, recalling his Gym Challenge with Hideo while still in the Minors. "Not even for Raikou." Ever since the RONDEZ-VIEW OF LUV app went viral, it was well-known that he desired to be Raikou's Avatar in spite of the immense danger it would put him in.

The Gym Leader covered his mouth when he remembered that Hideo could not see. "Right..." he trailed off. "I'm sorry for forgetting." Their low-pitched cries compared to others of their kind may have tipped their sizes off; in particular, the Shiny Sylveon's cry was uncanny. Otherworldly. Creepy, even. "They're actually really big for their kind. I use them for racing at my Gym regularly. They're around the size of smaller equine Pokémon, like Zebstrika."

Josh's eight Eeveelutions would be great at keeping the children occupied. "Can do! I'm sure they'll love Blinky, Kairi, and the others!" He had warned his eight Pokémon not to run too fast, but would let the children frolic and play with them. Pinky the Shiny Sylveon in particular was popular among them, tickling a child or two to their delight.

The brave among the attendees mounted up when prompted by Josh's Pokémon crouching next to them. While some of the smaller ones, like Blinky the Jolteon and Clyde the Flareon, could only seat one at a time, the larger ones could carry two. Josh smiled as he watched a young boy and girl play knight-and-princess with Kamuy, his Umbreon, going for a harmless romp through the campground.

{WC: 342}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2023 0:08:20 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo nodded along, his Pokemon congregating around him. He recalled the non-psychic ones, letting his psychic-types start to set things up.

He cringed slightly at the mention of Raikou, though he turned his face away to try and hide it.

He'd gotten the hint that Josh was fascinated with Raikou during the Minor League challenge, and that RONDEZ-VIEW OF LOVE game made it clear he wanted to become an avatar; he was also aware what lengths he was willing to go for it, even attempting to kill over it.

A pinch on the cheek from his Hatterene got Hideo to look towards Josh, trying to hide his discomfort. "Uh, yeah. Heard things have been pretty rough at your Gym too, with that attack that happened. Things have been pretty quiet around Littleroot, and the people at my Gym handle most of the paperwork. I mostly handle the challenges and help out around town."

Part of the reason he was here was to dissuade any more attacks by Rocket. And there hadn't been any raids since that day with the meteor, so he was doing well so far.

"No offense taken. And I didn't know they could get that big. Only Eeveelutions I got are Sylveons. They're only a meter tall, and they ain't strong enough to carry kids on their backs."

His psychic Pokemon spread out, surrounding the area around the kids and the Eeveelutions. Hideo got the Telepathic ping the moment their preparations were complete. "Think my Pokemon got things ready. I'm gonna give the kids a taste of the stuff I do for my traditional battles. Wanna take a look? We won't actually have to battle."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 20:46:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh rolled his eyes at the mention of the Mauville attacks. "That's not even the first one, but it was the most intense one. I don't know what it is with Mauville Gym specifically being targeted." He listened to the way the young Gym Leader divvied up his duties, nodding in approval. "Sounds like you've got a really good grasp on the position. I've got two dozen employees at my own place, but that's largely due to how expansive the property has to be. Gotta have a lot of room to go fast, after all!" he smiled.

Pinky's deep cry may have given Hideo an idea just how large Josh's Shiny Sylveon was. "There hasn't been any concrete evidence to support it, but I've noticed that really large Pokémon became more common in Hoenn once the distortions started showing up. Whether they're related or not is still a mystery, and one that the League sadly does not have the resources to pursue." Josh paused to watch a particularly brave child climb onto Blinky's back. The Jolteon had a scary amount of speed, but was obedient enough to know to keep any runs to a brisk, rather than breakneck, pace.

As the electric-type slid about, making her guest rider's stomach turn in ways that made the child unable to stop cheering, Josh agreed to Hideo's proposal. "I've yet to see your new setup at all since you were on 117," he replied. "Plus, my Pokémon are all gonna be busy entertaining the kids. At some point I wouldn't mind a match with you, though; the Champion Assessment's been destroying me. I've had three battles with the Elite Four so far, and not a win to my name."

{WC: 288}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2023 0:06:39 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo didn't say anything regarding the frequency of attacks - in part because he had a decent idea why at least one happened; if Josh was as violent towards the rest of Rocket as he'd been towards , Rocket would probably be seeking to retaliate.

But he cast that thought out of his mind - in part because he could pretty much feel his Hatterene glaring at him. Nobody deserved the kind of violence dealt at Josh's Gym.

"I think I got about a dozen human employees," Hideo said, "but I also got a good number of my Pokemon help keep stuff together. Psychic Pokemon are pretty capable with finer tasks like helping run a Gym, but others can still lend a hand!"

His Shaymin was pretty popular with kids younger than him. Same for his Joltiks and Swinubs.

Hideo nodded as Josh made his theory. "Wouldn't shock me if that's true. I got me a huge Jigglypuff in the Ultra Deep Sea. Like, several times larger than a normal Jigglypuff. And it had a tail on its head. Wouldn't shock me if stuff like that was making bigger Eeveelutions too - or even new ones."

But enough speculation: onto the spectacle!

"Well, you already got a good taste of what I can do when I was in Minor League. Best I got now are rooms that can really take the brunt of a battle. They make for great spaces for illusions, but my Pokemon can cook up something quick out here if I need it. Not sure if it'll make up for your loss streak with the Champ assessment, but hey, at least you started yours and got some battles."

His Pokemon laid out a Psychic Terrain, already getting to work. The kids were already starting to "ooh" and "ah" at the Illusion, though Josh would likely only see a faint overlay over the forest, a slight discoloration to the trees around them.

Unless he stepped in it, of course. Then the area would change into something slightly different.

[attr="class","snailhouse"]
[attr="class","Chromeleft"]
[attr="class","Chromeleftoverlay"]
[attr="class","NOSTALGIA"]
[attr="class","Chromeright"]
[attr="class","Chromeoverlay"]
[attr="class","puppycat"]

[attr="class","lemonsoda"]

[attr="class","puppycat"]Looks Purty
[attr="class","monody"]
Spicy
They were still by the woods - the overall layout hadn't changed. What had changed was the trees themselves were now massive spice bushes, their yellow flowers replacing the leaves both up high and upon the ground. The ground itself would appear to be made of stone, yet it still felt distinctly like the dirt and grass it truly was. An entirely new lake appeared by the side, yet anyone trying to get a quick splash in would find it was just as fake as the stone - even if the water rippled as if they truly stepped upon it.

And above them, the sun shone brightly, its rays visible against the bright blue sky.

"This is the kind of stuff I use in my traditional battles! I can't do as much as I can with the dreams, but I can still make some pretty neat spectacles…though I kinda have to trust everyone that they're looking good."

MADE BY MIZO
[newclass=.minisnailhouse a]font: 7pt roboto; color: #666666;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse]width: 500px;[/newclass][newclass=.monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%);[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeleft]width: 79px; height: 200px; float: left; background-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/mH1oth5.png'); -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeleftoverlay]width: 79px; height: 30px; padding-top: 170px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .Chromeleftoverlay]background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3); transition-duration: 0.8s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeright]width: 420px; height: 200px; float: right; background-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/989iZ1v.png'); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeoverlay]width: 420px; height: 80px; padding-top: 120px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .Chromeoverlay]background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.45); transition-duration: 0.8s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.puppycat]width: 200px; font-size: 5pt; font-family: roboto; text-transform: uppercase; color: #ffffff; text-align: right; letter-spacing: 1px; float: left; margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px; opacity: 0; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.lemonsoda]width: 0px; height: 1px; background-color:#f5f5f5; float: left; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .lemonsoda]width: 200px; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.NOSTALGIA]width: 0px; height: 1px; background-color: #f1f1f1; float: left; z-index: 2px; position: relative; transition: all 0.5s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .NOSTALGIA]width: 280px; transition-duration: 0.5s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse a]font-size: 5pt; font-family: roboto; text-transform: uppercase; color: #ffffff; font-weight: normal;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .puppycat]opacity: 1; transition: 0.7s; transition-delay: .5s; transition-timing-function: linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Stayingforawhile]width: 50px; height: 50px; border: 4px solid #ffffff; transform: rotate(45deg); position: relative; margin-bottom: -28px;[/newclass][newclass=.monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(0%);[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2023 7:27:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Hideo's notion was absolutely correct; while neither was aware, 's motive for attacking Mauville City Gym in the sprint was because of the violent attack against Eris. If it were anyone else in Rocket -- anyone else -- his actions wouldn't have been such a big deal. Eris was special, though; she had many sympathizers on both sides of the aisle. She was also a minor, significantly complicating matters. If it were any other Rocket, especially one ranking at least the level of Executive, the League likely wouldn't have batted an eye. It was this series of unfortunate coincidences that defined the only blemish on Josh's otherwise spotless career.

It had made him a better person, though; had he continued on the dark path, perhaps he would have wound up like his evil twin he had fought alongside , the first true test of his Sygna Suit's combat capabilities. "My Pokémon help out with what they can, too," Josh added. "I don't use a traditional PC storage system like many trainers do. The only thing I use it for is if I need to transport a Pokémon. My entire squad of Pokémon, when I'm not using them, roams Mauville Gym." There were a lot, too; didn't he have almost a hundred by now? It was a good thing a lot of his Gym's operating expenses were subsidized by the League; he would have to let go of so many of his Pokémon if he ever lost his job!

"Oh, right, from the Interdream Zone," Josh remarked, the children likely having no idea what they were talking about. They were too busy giggling and yee-haw'ing from riding Josh's giant Eeveelutions. One brave lass's hair flew in the wind as she pushed Blinky, his Jolteon, to the maximum speed the Gym Leader allowed. Despite being nowhere close to true racing speed, it was borderline dangerous for a child to ride that fast. He was confident the seven knew what they were doing, though. "That's what happens when you get promoted to the Major League," he smiled at Hideo's Gym expansion. "It was one of the reasons I got so excited that I would be taking over Mauville City's Gym. Mauville peeps are wealthy. That means a huge budget for the Gym. I was able to expand my Gym from five courses as a Minor Leaguer to... twenty-four as a Major Leaguer. It's like having a whole racing video game on one property. It's pretty wild."

After the PSYCHIC TERRAIN had been laid, Josh guided his Glaceon into it, witnessing a gorgeous, illusionary landscape. Inky played with some of the illusionary terrain, even going as far as to attempt to FREEZE-DRY part of the lake. "You're...incredibly talented," Josh gasped at how photorealistic the illusion was. "And you said you can make this a lot better at your Gym. This is amazing. Are you a psychic yourself?" he asked as he watched Blinky zoom about the camp.

{WC: 496}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 18:06:20 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar

[attr="class","monody"]
Spicy
"Yeah, I let a lot of my Pokemon roam around my Gym too. The ones that don't make a ruckus, anyways." A Toxtricity wasn't the best choice for a quiet library setting, and a Cinderace was likely to kick flaming books around. "But I got too many Pokemon now to let them all roam around. Some gotta be stored in a PC, but I let them out every now and then. Don't want them feeling like they're being neglected."

The children sounded like they were enjoying the illusion, some even collecting the spicebush leaves as a kind of bouquet. Some tried to play in the newly-formed lake, only to find out it was a fake - yet were still bemused at the ripples their steps made.

He grinned at Josh's praise. "I wish! This is almost all my Pokemons' work. It's easier to make illusions at my Gym, when I got a blank room to work with. Out here is a bit tougher; it's already a forest, so it's easier to make an illusion that looks like a forest. And even then, I can't really gauge how well it looks myself; I gotta rely on my Pokemon to tell me how it looks. It's not the same as a proper dream like you had in your challenge, where all the senses can be used. It's just visual here."

The Freeze-Dry would have the intended effect, the small part of the illusory lake freezing up. Walking over it wouldn't feel like frozen water, however; just frozen dirt.

"Probably helps with the budget too! Littleroot's a lot more modest than Mauville, so having pretty simple battle rooms and more of my own Pokemon on staff means they don't have to spend as much for the Gym part. A good amount actually goes to the library part, or for community stuff."

Not counting the free volunteering - like he was doing now. Perhaps his time spent living outside finally taught him frugal budgeting.

MADE BY MIZO
[newclass=.minisnailhouse a]font: 7pt roboto; color: #666666;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse]width: 500px;[/newclass][newclass=.monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%);[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeleft]width: 79px; height: 200px; float: left; background-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/mH1oth5.png'); -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeleftoverlay]width: 79px; height: 30px; padding-top: 170px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .Chromeleftoverlay]background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3); transition-duration: 0.8s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeright]width: 420px; height: 200px; float: right; background-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/989iZ1v.png'); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Chromeoverlay]width: 420px; height: 80px; padding-top: 120px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .Chromeoverlay]background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.45); transition-duration: 0.8s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.puppycat]width: 200px; font-size: 5pt; font-family: roboto; text-transform: uppercase; color: #ffffff; text-align: right; letter-spacing: 1px; float: left; margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px; opacity: 0; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.lemonsoda]width: 0px; height: 1px; background-color:#f5f5f5; float: left; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .lemonsoda]width: 200px; transition: all 0.5s linear; [/newclass][newclass=.NOSTALGIA]width: 0px; height: 1px; background-color: #f1f1f1; float: left; z-index: 2px; position: relative; transition: all 0.5s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .NOSTALGIA]width: 280px; transition-duration: 0.5s; transition-timing-function: ease-out;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse a]font-size: 5pt; font-family: roboto; text-transform: uppercase; color: #ffffff; font-weight: normal;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .puppycat]opacity: 1; transition: 0.7s; transition-delay: .5s; transition-timing-function: linear;[/newclass][newclass=.Stayingforawhile]width: 50px; height: 50px; border: 4px solid #ffffff; transform: rotate(45deg); position: relative; margin-bottom: -28px;[/newclass][newclass=.monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(100%); transition: all 0.8s linear;[/newclass][newclass=.snailhouse:hover .monody]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */filter: grayscale(0%);[/newclass][googlefont=Open+Sans]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2023 5:20:51 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
let many of his Pokémon roam his Gym, too. It seemed common for Gym Leaders to let their Pokémon out and about on their property. "That's what's hard about having the huge collections Gym Leaders have to have. It's hard to give them all the attention they deserve." Hideo's lightshow even caused some of the more astute children, ones that had figured out how to use the Eeveelutions' reins, to slow them to a stop to admire the Gym Leader's illusions.

Hearing Hideo reinforce his own disability made Josh frown; he couldn't imagine what it was like going through life not being able to see. "No wonder you have so many psychic Pokémon. With a close enough bond with a psychic-type, I bet you could see through their eyes. Oh, speaking of which, with the big pay bump to the Major League, have you thought about a Sygna Suit? I bet with a strong enough psychic-type, you'd be able to see their their eyes directly and be able to see your Pokémon's illusions for yourself!" He went on to describe how his own Manectric suit let him withstand maddening speeds, even its passive powers letting him ride during the Z-Move, Hypersonic Plasma Charge, without trouble. Of course, he couldn't tap into the full powers of his suit mid-move, but it was enough to let him avoid passing out from the whiplash-inducing acceleration the charge would otherwise subject him to. It was like riding on a lightning bolt.

"It does! Once the initial funding for the Racing Grounds was secured, budget hasn't really been an issue for me." It hadn't for much of his life, especially not after making the big pay jump himself. His racing career had also paid pretty well, not in raw earnings, but in sponsorships. He was a celebrity in multiple circles, letting him live a comfortable, but not extravagant life. "Of course, my Pokémon help how they can, too." He heard the incessant giggling of a young girl being tickled by Pinky's feelers, the Shiny Sylveon's low-pitched squeal frightening some of the more reserved kids and causing them to back away. "These eight are great with kids, too. Think I'm gonna join them for a bit with Inky." With that, he gently coaxed the Glaceon in the young riders' general direction.

{WC: 391}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 15:57:26 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar

[attr="class","monody"]
Spicy
"Yeah. A lot of my Pokemon aren't Psychic, so it can be a bit tricky fitting them into challenges or finding stuff they can do. I do admit I rely on the Psychic ones a lot more for stuff, but everyone can chip in if I find the right job for them." Granted, some were harder to find proper jobs for than others, but he tried.

His Psychic Pokemon even had a hand in helping manage his other Pokemon.

Hideo nodded at Josh's speculation. "Funny enough, I kinda do that already. Pokemon with Telepathy are the best at serving as my 'eyes'. My Beheeyem can even read stuff for me." A very important benefit, considering how little paperwork was in braille. "It's never perfect, though. My Beheeyem could tell me stuff like where things are, the shapes of things, and distance, but he can't really describe detailed stuff like art all that well to me. And Telepathy is never perfect; other than reading, it just gives me a general idea of stuff."

It had its ups and downs. "I kinda have been saving for a Sygna Suit, and I want to have it based on my Beheeyem. He's been a great Pokemon to me. Maybe it would make his Telepathy clearer?" He wasn't too sure how Sygna Suits worked, if they literally enhanced his connection to his Pokemon or not. It did sound like it made it easier for Josh to handle his faster Pokemon. "The money I get is definitely getting me closer to that! Can't say I'm used to getting a steady paycheck yet."

He was accustomed to the more sporadic "get paid by doing odd jobs, spend it all, then work again" style of earning money, which meant he could go days or even weeks without getting paid - but those payouts tended to be pretty large.

A payout too tempting to not do, every so often. When he had the time.

As Josh went over to help with the prospective racers, Hideo was half-tempted to let him take the reins for a bit. Josh seemed completely genuine in wanting to do fun stuff with the kids, and to be a good person; it ran in contrast to what he'd heard from Eris, about him trying to kill her, and the bits he caught about the subsequent suspension in the group chat.

Lost in thought, Hideo failed to notice his Espathra sneaking up behind him, the large bird's neck halfway-around his, staring at his face. He only realized its presence after it pulled its head back - and directly underneath him, scooping him up in a single motion. Hideo nearly tumbled right off its back, saved by a timely Psychic holding him in place.

Hideo only had a moment to ask a "What are you doing?!" before he could feel the Espathra run forward, towards where Josh was headed. Seemed like he wasn't getting out of this one.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2023 7:05:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
That was one of the major differences between Hideo and Josh. The younger Gym Leader was willing to bring on Pokémon that weren't Psychic-types. Josh was very picky about what he raised. It was rare for him to own a Pokémon that couldn't wear a saddle. Only two came to mind: Pokey, his Maractus that served as a garden scarecrow, and Danjuro, his trusty sword arm for when he needed to fight on his own. It was a sign of the teen's maturity - maturity that many felt the Master of Faster lacked. To each their own, though! One of the best and most underappreciated aspects of raising Pokémon was that there was truly something for everyone.

"If you're looking to serve the League on a higher level, it's one of the greatest investments you can make," Josh replied with a nod. "The possibilities with them are limitless. When I'm in mine and riding Saber, the Manectric the suit is set to, it really feels like I'm on Raikou's back. Almost like they would be an even match, both in battle and on the track." The analogy bordered on hyperbole, but from his experience with Kyle's Raikou-familiar, it wasn't that far from the truth. "I've seen some really wild things they let their wearers do. One of my good friends has one set to a Flygon. That Flygon can lift her off the ground using its wing, as unbelievable as it sounds. She'll sit on the wing and let it buzz her, and she'll be fine afterward. Wildest thing I've ever seen. It truly is like a light version of being an Avatar, isn't it?" It was little wonder the technology was so prohibitively expensive.

Hideo's Espathra giving him a ride made Josh smile on the inside. They were zooming, too. Whatever Pokémon that was, he had to have one. "I've never seen that kind of Pokémon before!" he exclaimed, impressed with the psychic-type. "What kind of Pokémon is that, and do you know where they're at in Hoenn? They can put on some real speed - I wouldn't mind catching one for myself!" His head briefly turned toward the giggling of a young girl being tickled by Pinky's feelers as her rider slid down, having had her fun with the fairy-type. Another child was quick to hop on and take her place. Another let out what could only be an adrenaline-fueled cry as Janus made a sharp turn, the psychic hold on his rider the only reason he didn't fall off completely.

{WC: 427}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2023 19:12:35 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar

[attr="class","monody"]
Spicy
Lacking in many luxuries while he was doing the Gym Circuit, Hideo had to make use of whatever Pokemon he could get his hands on. Even if Psychic was the type he had the most affinity towards, most of his Pokemon lacked that typing. Even his first Pokemon, his Rockruff (now his Lycanroc), wasn't Psychic.

Hideo wouldn't get a chance to answer Josh until after he got hauled over by his Espathra. "It's a Pokemon that came over from Paldea. It's an Espartha…or Espathra? The name's a bit tricky to remember. He is a really fast Pokemon though. Not at first, but the harder you try to outrun them, the faster they get."

The Espathra looked over the Eeveelution mounts, gazing over one before moving on to the other, as if sizing them up. The Espeon caught his attention the longest, spotting it using its Psychic in the same way he had. "I remember hearing some people say they're gathering over in the mountains. I got lucky and caught this one near a route I like to go by - gets a lot of Psychic-types."

Strictly speaking, it popped up in his camp and let him catch it, but he still needed to keep a tight lip about the place he had there; it could always serve as a safe place if things got hairy for him.

Josh's description of Sygna Suits caught his attention - and his awe. "Didn't realize a Sygna Suit could do that much. I know they're really protective, even good to bring in risky areas. Didn't know it could even let you do stuff like ride a Flygon's wing. My Beheeyem can already lift me up, but maybe getting a suit based on him would make it easier too?"

Just after he spoke, he could feel his Espathra move once more - this time towards the Espeon. The Espathra ran over, replicating the small stunt it pulled with that child by going for a sharper turn while keeping Hideo on his back Psychically, jumping over the Espeon in the process. Not a fun stunt for Hideo to nearly get thrown off performing, but it earned the attention and awe of some of the kids watching - including the one atop the Espeon.

Hideo could only cling on to the Espathra's neck after he was free to move.

MADE BY MIZO
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,123 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2023 17:22:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"A psychic ride Pokémon..." Josh mused at Hideo's description of the flightless bird. "Those are so rare. Definitely gonna track one down. I think it would be a valuable addition not only to Mauville Gym, but during the Champion Assessment, too." He smiled at the telepathic Pokémon's strange tendency to describe the way they ran. "Sounds like a Pokémon good at come-from-behind wins. Will have to keep that in mind once... right, you were looped in on that email, so I can talk about it with you. Once my community service is over and I have more time on my hands again. Ugh, I cannot wait to be free of that burden..."

It seemed Hideo was in agreement with wanting to get a suit. "Not just that. Imagine being able to see fully through your Beheeyem," Josh speculated. "As in visually. It'd be on par with what her suit is capable of. I'm still trying to figure out what all mine can do, but I know it makes my Manectric really fast." As many benefits as his suit had, Sygna Suits could have dangerous drawbacks, too. It gave him the benefits of being an electric Pokémon... but also all the drawbacks of one. He was one hit with a Ground-type attack away from being seriously hurt. MAGNET RISE from his ride would keep him out of the way of those attacks, but if he was ever caught off guard, it wouldn't be pretty.

The Master of Faster smiled when he saw Hideo and his Espathra take off. The duo put on amazing speed that even his pride of Pyroar could not match. The leap over the Espeon left the psychic-type's young rider, the rest of the children, and even Josh himself, in awe. "Your Espathra is really something," Josh complimented the psychic-affiliated Gym Leader as the child on the Espeon asked if he could get a turn on the Espathra. He shook his head. "We... might want to take the kids inside for an indoor activity before they get too many ideas," he whispered to Hideo, not wanting to see the children get hurt. The speed the bird was capable of was completely unsafe for a minor.

{WC: 371}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,447 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2023 23:55:35 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar

[attr="class","monody"]
Spicy
"Rideable psychic Pokemon are pretty hard to find. I think Galarian Rapidashes and Wyrdeers are the only other psychic-types that you can easily ride." There was also Girafarig and Farigiraf, but the spikes along their backs did not make for a comfortable sitting position, a lesson he only had to learn once. "This one's probably one of the faster ones. They're a really Opportunistic Pokemon too, so if they spot a chance, they'll take it."

The mention of Josh's community service only served to remind Hideo of what Josh had done. He still had to question him on that, but that'd have to wait for a better time.

The prospect of being able to see through his Beheeyem was one he already knew was doomed to fail. "Well…being able to see isn't gonna happen, but it could help me with my other senses. If a Z-move can't do it, I doubt a Sygna suit will."

Not that it was something he'd sought to acquire.

The Espathra trotted back to Josh, smirking at the child that requested to ride him and shaking its head.

His Espathra's display did earn the attention and awe of many a child - and the attention of some camp counselors, who'd finished whatever they were shirking their responsibilities to do. "Maybe we could let the people who work here do their job," Hideo said, relieved that he could truly get a break.

He'd do the same thing they did to him - granted, it wasn't even his job to take care of the kids in the first place.

MADE BY MIZO