6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
(Elite Test) The Signer and the Volatile, Act 2
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 6:04:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had expected to walk into the Pokémon League's stadium surrounded by his fans from Mauville and the rest of the world. Now that they were in Hoenn, he figured his family would show up, too. They were to be in Ever Grande for the occasion. There would be no drummer boy on the sidelines playing a cheerful fanfare introducing the People's Gym Leader, the Master of Faster, either. All that boomed over the vacant battleground was silence. Dreadful silence and the Volatile. The man largely responsible for setting Josh on the path to ruin. A path that took every ounce of his force of will to set himself straight from.

The Gym Leader feared for his safety as he stepped into the Avatar's domain. Their last meeting ended in his bitter defeat, yet it was civil. With all the rumors flying around about , though, there was no guarantee their second meeting would be. If he wanted to continue on the path to Champion Rank, though, he had to get through his worst nemesis. A nemesis he feared he would meet in a warzone one day, where they would for sure be aiming for each others' throats in a battle truly for keeps.

Stepping out of the tunnel and into the light, the Mauville Gym Leader took his position in the challenger's Trainer's Box and spoke into the microphone. "I don't want to see you any longer than I have to, and I'm sure you don't want to have to put up with me any longer than you have to. Let's go. Name your format."

{WC: 267}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS 
Raikiri         Zeraora           Good  
Bladestorm      Skarmory          Good  
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good  
Rime            A!Ninetales       Good  
Twilight        Absol             Good  
Expresso        Espathra**        Good  

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 8:24:41 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","matias matyleday"]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

the vacant battlefield is unfortunate as he would have much preferred an audience. it's easier to goad with a crowd watching and listening; it makes it so they have to remain alert and on their toes, hyper-aware of even the smallest of actions.[break][break]

no matter.[break][break]

"it's rude not to exchange pleasantries. where is the 'hello, matias! it's so good to see you again!'? come on, devlin. i thought you were raised better."[break][break]

he barks out a laugh before grinning at . oh, how fun this will be for him.[break][break]

"how have you been?"

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".matyleday"] --accent:#5d464e!important [/newclass]
[newclass=".matias"] --accent: #5d464e } .matias b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .matias i { color: var(--accent); } .matias { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .matias .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .matias .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .matias .body span { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; } .matias .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .matias .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".matias .oocnotes"] border-top:1px solid var(--accent); padding-top:15px; width:200px; margin:10px auto 0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".matias .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .matias .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .matias .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 18:50:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The flip side was for this match, there would be no external distracts, no adrenaline-pumping music, and perhaps most concerning to him, no witnesses. If Matias were to use one of his many weapons of war against the Gym Leader, no one would know. His ambition to ascend to Champion Rank could well land him back in a hospital bed, depending on how volatile the Volatile truly was today.

Unsure of how serious the imposing trainer was, the Gym Leader returned his remarks with a sarcastic-sounding greeting. "About as well as i can be, given how long I was in the hospital for. How did Dewford Two treat you?" He did his best to at least try to feign interest in small talk, but the tension he had with Matias was apparent in not only his own body language, but the body language of the quadrupedal Zeraora next to him.

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2023 5:28:09 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

"well enough. better than how it treated you from what i hear. i wonder if there's a reason why i walked away unscathed while you were bedridden for weeks."[break][break]

another bark of a laugh is cut short with a shrug as he leaves bait dangling before , wondering what it would take for the man to bite. not much, he suspects.[break][break]

"just thinking out loud, that's all."

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".matias"] --accent: #5d464e } .matias b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .matias i { color: var(--accent); } .matias { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .matias .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .matias .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .matias .body span { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; } .matias .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .matias .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=".matias .oocnotes"] border-top:1px solid var(--accent); padding-top:15px; width:200px; margin:10px auto 0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".matias .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .matias .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .matias .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2023 18:01:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Easy for you to say," Josh scowled. "Must be nice having a god watching your back. Even so, my time has helped me learn my role in the war. And I have and to thank for that. Suppliers and messengers are equally as important as those who fight on the front lines." While they did not get to bask in the glory that supersoldiers did, without updated war briefings made only possible by those who braved the battlefield to relay those updates, their victories would not be possible.

Josh crossed his arms the moment Matias woofed the "puny" Gym Leader's way. "That's not funny," he replied with a scowl. Raikiri purred menacingly toward the older man, as well.

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Dec 25, 2023 4:04:17 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

"oh i never used groudon. didn't need to."[break][break]

's mistake is assuming matias' strength is tied to his patron which is the furthest thing from the truth. groudon supplements and empowers what has always been there.[break][break]

matias is the hero of kanto, after all.[break][break]

"i'm glad you found your role. it's fitting, really, that you play support while the big boys handle the actual fight. much like your role as gym leader."[break][break]

he shrugs, then gestures.[break][break]

"is it your zeraora you'll be using?"

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2023 1:12:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The remarks were belittling, in true Matias fashion. Unlike their last meeting, he wouldn't let them get to him. He knew from both Dewford One and Dewford Two that the front lines were not his place. The intelligence war was at least as important, if not more important, than the physical fighting. It was just as Navy said. "Without someone to keep you informed what's going on behind enemy lines, and without secure deliveries of Potion, what happens to the front lines? They crumble. It's not a glorious job, but somebody's gotta do it. And there might not be a better person for it than me." Raw speed was folly to use on the battlefield, but there was no one in Hoenn that could deliver medical supplies to needy units. There was no one in Hoenn that could deliver messages faster in a form that no technology could intercept.

"I plan on it," the Mauville Leader replied, leaning toward Matias, his head past the front rail of the Trainer's Box. "I've answered a lot of your questions, and you have yet to answer mine." Even Raikiri was fired up, Josh's prized mythical steed loosing the roar of a great cat.

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2023 8:51:14 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

"it's because i'm dreading having to battle you."[break][break]

has earned himself a bit of honesty after entertaining all of the questions posed to him. it's harsh, however, and delivered without any care for their feelings.[break][break]

he slides a hand into his pocket for a pokeball only to stop and pose another question to the challenger.[break][break]

"what would you like me to use? do take into consideration your skill level."

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2024 0:12:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Didn't... want to battle Josh? What was Matias' problem? Did he think a clash between the two would be boring? Or was it that he didn't think the Master of Faster was worthy of the title of Champion? The remark about Josh's skill level was even more demeaning. "Isn't the job of the Elite Four to screen high-level Gym Circuit performers for the title of Champion?" he returned the question with one of his own. "Do you have a problem with how and evaluated me or something?"

Not getting direct answers was starting to get under the Gym Leader's skin. "I'll just say this. I'm planning on using Raikiri no matter how many Pokémon we use per side. Singles, doubles, does not matter. Use what you feel is a fair assessment. If you've been at this long enough, then surely you know what the League's expectations are." The young man set aside his Pyroar's and Ninetales' Poké Balls aside, leaving three more in addition to his Zeraora's. "If you're telling me to name my format, I'm good with four per side. Whether you feel a singles or doubles match is a more fair assessment is up to you."

{WC: 201}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2024 6:23:58 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

"it is, but i already have my assessment of you, and i don't think you're fit to be champion."[break][break]

he delivers the news as though it were nothing more than small talk, unimportant and boring even if he realizes the implications it has on .[break][break]

"but you can prove me wrong."[break][break]

with the appearance of a kartana, it should become clear that josh has not earned the privilege of facing any of matias' kanto pokemon. he will simply have to contend with the reserves.[break][break]

"singles, four per side. start whenever."

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 1:28:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Agreeing to the format, Josh stowed Aslan's and Bladestorm's Poké Balls. "Sorry, I'm gonna have to bench you two this time around." The Gym Leader, locking in his four selections. He squinted at Matias' belittling remarks. Wasn't so fun being on the receiving end of the trash talk, was it, Josh?

Finalizing his decisions, he hurled Rime's Poké Ball into the air, the device landing near the center of the court. From it emerged Rime, the Alolan Ninetales that was, like most of the Leader's Pokémon, big enough to ferry him about. The ice-type's tails floated above her back, her SNOW WARNING heralding blizzard conditions. "Less talking and more brawling," was the only retort Matias would get.

{WC: 118}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2024 9:57:04 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

to anyone familiar with matias and his fighting preferences, they would know that his strongest pokemon are the ones he has had the longest, meaning that they are likely from kanto. the fact that he's using a kartana now against should give away what he thinks of the gym leader.[break][break]

"i thought you liked yapping."[break][break]

kartana's leads the charge with SWORD DANCE, spiraling as it closes in to try and drive its SACRED SWORD down ninetales' body.

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2024 7:00:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was true; Josh did like yapping. He just didn't like yapping with psychopaths that could not see the good within the people at the bottom of Rocket's rungs, stuck there because they were desperate enough to take illicit work. The ones that genuinely believed in Rocket's dogma of Pokémon being only tools for profit, sure. They deserved to rot in prison; the Gym Leader would feel no remorse toward even slaying one of them himself. Genuinely nice people swept under their rug, though? Absolutely not. He could not sentence all those people to death.

It was a point of contention they would never agree upon, and could very well result in them locking horns on a real battlefield. It was a terrifying proposition, given he knew Matias' identity as an Avatar.

Having never seen the mysterious Pokémon before him, Josh needed time to study it. Rime's great speed, and the speed of the rest of his Pokémon would buy the young man all kinds of time, at least in theory. "Rime, DOUBLE TEAM!" Josh ordered, the icy fox zipping back and forth so fast it was impossible to tell her true position in the low-visibility conditions. The SACRED SWORD felled the Ninetales' entire set of trailing images in a single attack, but left her otherwise unharmed.

Was this Pokémon a fighting-type? If so, he had the perfect weapon to use against it if he could find a window to do so.

{WC: 246}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,115 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2024 15:18:43 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

"your pokemon fights the same way you do."[break][break]

his words carry over the sudden void caused by VACUUM WAVE as kartana looks to rid the field of the dizzying display of DOUBLE TEAM, and once the fabric of space is ripped apart, it closes in to deliver another SACRED SWORD to 's ninetales.[break][break]

"like a coward."

[attr="class","bottom"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,076 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2024 7:36:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Coward?!" Josh retorted, his Ninetales having set the trap. Yes, he was good at running away by virtue of his Pokémon being fast. There was more than one aspect to speed, and that was reaction time. His Pokémon had almost insect-like reaction time. The moment the Kartana sliced toward Rime with its SACRED SWORD, she stood her ground. "EXTRASENSORY!" he commanded, fighting the powerful slashing attack with her mind instead of her body. Its purpose would be twofold: first, to slow the swinging motion down. Her mind could not stop the blade entirely, but it would leave her with the capacity to continue fighting. Were it not for her powerful mind, the Kartana's attack would have easily cleaved her in two... or as close as possible within the League's battle safety systems.

"No. She's not. And I'm not," the Gym Leader crossed his arms, stomping with one his feet, too. "The gaslighting can stop any minute now."

{PC: 8}

Rime   
        A!Ninetales       Poor