6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Round Twenty-Three: Josh vs. Eduardo [VCT]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 0:35:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Attention all Vital City Tournament participants. Pairings are up for round twenty-three. Pairings are up for round twenty-three."

Josh was running on fumes. After twelve battles yesterday and ten more today, he swayed in his seat, his arms shaking as he browsed the pairings list. He still had to be on top of his game; with large pay jumps coming with every win, every trainer would be trying their hardest to win. With many of the Gym Leaders intentionally drawing to secure places in the top cut, it was unlikely for him to face one in his last two battles.

The Gym Leader was getting so tired that he was now riding Raikiri to every arena, just to conserve his energy for this match and the next one. Dismounting and taking a seat on a nearby bench until a few seconds before the starting buzzer, the Mauville Leader waved weakly toward , looking sleep deprived.

Planning to use a Z-Move!

{WC: 155}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥♥

close tab

played by

inmediasres

Eddie
HE/HIM
Thirty-nine
MAY 18th
Cascarrafa
GAY
Military Recruit
Private
i only pray
don't fall away from me
6' 3" height
6' 3" height
if the wind turns, if i hit a squall, allow the ground to find its brutal way to me.
awards
426 posts
part of
TAG WITH @eddieh
Eduardo Hisakawa
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 11:23:59 GMT
Eduardo Hisakawa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","eddieh"]
[attr="class","eddiehtag"]

[attr="class","eddiehmain"]

Eddie hadn't anticipated the sheer number of combatants that he'd be facing off against in the tournament, but meeting so many people was equal parts exhausting and exhilarating. Fortunately for him, he'd managed to track down some admittedly overpriced coffee at one of the food carts, and at present, was cheerfully sipping on a sugary, caffeinated monstrosity of a drink as he stepped into the arena. With Beau at his side, he offered something a wave back to the younger man on the other side of the arena, gesturing in his direction with the paper cup of coffee, [break][break]

“Yo, I'm Eddie,” he greeted, using his other arm to wipe away a little mustache of sugar and cream that had formed on his upper lip, “Damn, you look beat. After this match you should check out the little coffee cart down the block thataways. Shit's tasty.” [break][break]

He emphasized his point by taking another sip of his drink and vaguely gesturing to the northwest, the approximate direction of where he had found the food cart. Eddie silently hoped he could finish the match quickly so this poor guy could get a hot drink and some rest. [break][break]

notes[break]
No gimmicks battle[break]
Part of the Vital City Tournament[break]

[attr="class","eddiehpoke"]

[newclass=.eddieh]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:11.5px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehtag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323; border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35); border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh b] color: #D49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh i] color: #cecece; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #dbb859; font-size: 12px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 21:39:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Gym Leader Devlin, but call me Josh," the Master of Faster weakly replied, the Zeraora behind him looking more tired than he should have, as well. "It's only this match and one more afterward, then I can sleep. Twelve rounds of Swiss two days in a row takes it out of you... you know?"

The offer of coffee was nice, but he had to kindly refuse. "Caffeine makes my heart act up. And decaf just doesn't do it for me. I'll... manage. Somehow." Pointing toward the center of the court, Josh silently gestured for Raikiri to take his place. He would largely be on autopilot, given the Gym Leader's condition. When the starting horn sounded, the feline reared before pouncing, aiming to stomp on the Tauros with all four of his PLASMA PAWS.

8QAbzXG_

{WC: 133}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

inmediasres

Eddie
HE/HIM
Thirty-nine
MAY 18th
Cascarrafa
GAY
Military Recruit
Private
i only pray
don't fall away from me
6' 3" height
6' 3" height
if the wind turns, if i hit a squall, allow the ground to find its brutal way to me.
awards
426 posts
part of
TAG WITH @eddieh
Eduardo Hisakawa
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2024 12:43:20 GMT
Eduardo Hisakawa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","eddieh"]

Man, this guy was really running himself into the ground, but Eddie supposed that was part of the responsibility that came with being a Gym Leader. Not only was this Josh guy probably obligated to show up to the tournament, but performing poorly would likely reflect badly on his establishment as a whole. He felt a further pang of sympathy when the younger man explained his inability to consume caffeine. A life lived without coffee? The thought practically made Eddie shudder with horror. [break][break]

But there was no time to consider such terrible thoughts when he had a battle to win. Beau charged into the ring to meet the Zeraora head-on, head down and horns raised in an attempt to engage the feline Pokemon in a bout of CLOSE COMBAT. Unfortunately, that decision turned out to be a foolish one as Beau was struck by the shocking PLASMA PAWS. Eddie winced as the bull lowed in pain. Yeah, that made sense; even the most inexperienced trainer would tell you that electricity versus water was a bad matchup.[break][break]

jZYgqITS[break]
HP: 2/3[break][break]

notes[break]

[newclass=.eddieh]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:11.5px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehtag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323; border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35); border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh b] color: #D49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh i] color: #cecece; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #dbb859; font-size: 12px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddieh a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.eddiehpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 1:48:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While the League did not saddle Josh with the obligation to enter the tournament, the Gym Leaders were encouraged to show up. He was doing as well as a Gym Leader could be expected to, but there were only so many spots near the top of the rankings. There simply would not be realistic space for every talented Hoennian trainer. Speaking of Gym Leaders, where the heck was ? The Fortree Gym Leader and Mr. himself were the only two Josh hadn't squared off against. Were they even in the tournament? He figured he would have run into them by now.

Taking advantage of the shock Raikiri had left the Tauros in, the Zeraora mercilessly raked Beau across the back a few more times before hopping away. If electricity worked so well once, Josh thought it would again -- this time in the form of a barrage of high speed ELECTRO BALLS launched at Eddie's Pokémon with the velocity and spread of shotgun rounds!

lo4wvKyk

{WC: 165}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

inmediasres

Eddie
HE/HIM
Thirty-nine
MAY 18th
Cascarrafa
GAY
Military Recruit
Private
i only pray
don't fall away from me
6' 3" height
6' 3" height
awards
426 posts
part of
TAG WITH @eddieh
Eduardo Hisakawa
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 11:48:01 GMT
Eduardo Hisakawa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","eddieh"]

Damn, this cat was vicious. The claws raking the bull's back had Beau bellowing with fury until the Zeraora leapt away. Getting some range could also prove to be disastrous for Beau, who had no means of retaliating at a distance. As the shot-gun blast of ELECTRO BALLS was launched at the bull, Eddie couldn't help but call out to his Pokemon,[break][break]

"Beau, watch out!" [break][break]

While Beau may have not had access to any ranged attacks himself, he did have overwhelming speed on his side. The bull dodged in a blur of mist to the left with an AQUA JET, before launching another to close the gap between him and the Zeraora. Those electrified paws were going to be a hassle to deal with, but neither Eddie nor Beau could see any other path to victory. [break][break]

7Acx4scu[break]
HP: 2/3[break][break]

notes[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 15:55:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
For a Pokémon so burly, Beau's speed was impressive, a well-timed AQUA JET saving him from a nasty electric shock. Josh thought about catching one of these himself, though there were concerns of how mean Tauros typically were to riders.

If Eddie wanted a battle of speed, he would get a battle of speed. Raikiri backed up to the arena's edge before zipping back and forth, looking to slice and dice the water-type in a series of QUICK ATTACKS that looked like it would make many other Pokémon dizzy just trying to visually follow.

j1KATzn7

{PC: 4}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥
close tab

played by

inmediasres

Eddie
HE/HIM
Thirty-nine
MAY 18th
Cascarrafa
GAY
Military Recruit
Private
i only pray
don't fall away from me
6' 3" height
6' 3" height
awards
426 posts
part of
TAG WITH @eddieh
Eduardo Hisakawa
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2024 13:24:27 GMT
Eduardo Hisakawa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","eddieh"]

As the cat zipped all around the bull with it's blisteringly fast series of QUICK ATTACKS, Eddie considered his next course of action. The cat was definitely too fast for them to out-pace, but on the other hand, the cat was doing a good enough job of staying within melee range, even if it was only for a second each time it struck Beau. Maybe that was what they needed to capitalize one. [break][break]

But as it turned out, that was far easier said than done. It was almost impossible to time a singular strike of something like a DOUBLE KICK to strike back at the Zeraora; each time Beau tried, his hooves would just catch air. As fury welled inside the black bull, Eddie felt frustration course through him when he found that thrashing like a RAGING BULL was too imprecise to get a solid hit in. Eddie felt his jaw clench as he watch Beau get struck over and over by the impossibly fast opponent. Just how were they going to get out of this? [break][break]

5tHbjMa5[break]
HP: 1/3[break][break]

notes[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2024 21:16:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Almost as fast as it had started, the match was over. Beau was simply unable to fight back against such a fast opponent while the Zeraora zipped back and forth, slicing and dicing with his claws in the midst of every pass. The side judge called the end of the match, declaring the Gym Leader the winner.

"Good match, Eddie. Sorry it was over so quickly. After the tournament, if you need help fighting against really fast opponents like Raikiri here, drop by Mauville Gym," Josh offered. "You'll learn more than you ever thought there was to know about fast Pokémon."

9qNbAdom

{PC: 5}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥
close tab

played by

inmediasres

Eddie
HE/HIM
Thirty-nine
MAY 18th
Cascarrafa
GAY
Military Recruit
Private
i only pray
don't fall away from me
6' 3" height
6' 3" height
awards
426 posts
part of
TAG WITH @eddieh
Eduardo Hisakawa
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2024 21:50:12 GMT
Eduardo Hisakawa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","eddieh"]

Eddie found himself loosing a whistle of awe as Beau was felled by the impossibly fast cat. Recalling the bull to his Poke Ball, he reached out to offer the Gym Leader a handshake, [break][break]

“Good match! And hey, no need to apologize. I know when I've been outplayed.” [break][break]

The prospect of potentially training with this guy was one that stoked a spark of ambition within the older man. Fast Pokemon? Consider him interested, [break][break]

“Hell yeah!” he cheered boisterously, “I'll swing by sometime after the tournament's over. See ya later, Josh!” [break][break]

MmcqNyBS[break]
HP: 0/3[break][break]

notes[break]
Josh wins![break]

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,029 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2024 4:44:51 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]VCT COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: