6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Side Events: Josh vs. Thomas [VCT]
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2024 8:23:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With the sun on the horizon and the day winding down, any more on-demand mini-tournaments that fired would need to take place at artificially-lit battle courts. This greatly decreased the number of available arenas, demand unable to keep up with available space. This run could well be Josh's last before it became too late for him to focus. He and his Zeraora better make it count!

His first-round opponent would be a familiar one. "Thomas!" Josh cried out to the familiar face, his quadrupedal Zeraora raising a paw in greeting. "We're gonna have to do some catching up in the coming days. But we should get started. I'd love to fit in one more flight after this one before the place closes. I'm helping some with teardown tomorrow and don't want to wear myself out too much. The last few days have been brutal."

Planning to use a Z-Move!

{WC: 144}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥♥

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2024 6:06:55 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

As Thomas stepped into the ring, Ripper by his side, he'd be greeted by a familiar man. "Josh Devlin, good to see you!", Thomas greeted the racer warmly. He'd give the Zeraora a friendly wave in response.

"Sounds good to me.", Thomas told the younger man.

Once their greetings were finished, Thomas stepped back, and allowed Ripper to step forward.

tags:
notes: 3/3
GIMMICK: Mega Evolution

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2024 19:14:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The starting horn would cut the duo's conversation short, the match timer beginning to count down. Having learned his lesson from getting into time trouble, Josh ordered Raikiri to start building speed right away. The quadrupedal thundercat zipped and zoomed around the court, building up his speed and AGILITY.

Knowing what Ripper was capable of, Josh knew he had to strike fast and hard. Once Raikiri looked like an electrified comet circling the arena, he sharply about-faced, his paws igniting from the tremendous friction put on them. Now alight, the yellow Pokémon pounced with the force of a well-thrown FIRE PUNCH.

c|YKrU0w

{PC: 2}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥♥

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 20:34:03 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

As Ripper stepped up to greet the Zeraora, his expression became one of genuine excitement. The opportunity to battle such a powerful foe got his blood pumping.

Ripper had to keep a Calm Mind, if he wanted to succeed. After centering himself, the Scizor watched as the Zeraora zipped towards him, paws alight. The Scizor did his best to weave through the punches, before delivering a Brutal Swing upward to send the feline flying.

czi2ylPS

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 20:44:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The BRUTAL SWING of Ripper's pincers overpowered Raikiri, the burning paws only in contact with the electric cat for a split second before batting him away. Josh remembered Ripper's tenacity and ferocity from the time they clashed in his Gym. Both had clearly become far stronger than they were before. He had to brace himself: at any moment, shockwaves from their attacks smashing into one another could blow even the Gym Leader off his feet if he was not vigilant.

Sliding all the way to the arena's edge, Raikiri was fuming. With a fierce spirit fueling a lion-like roar, he bounded toward the armored insect. When it looked like he was going to repeat the same tactic, the Zeraora would throw Thomas a curve ball, BOUNCING toward in an attempt to hurl the foe high into the air.

0RIxr903

{PC: 3}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 21:32:40 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Ripper grinned as his pincer connected with the feline, sending it flying to the edge of the arena. The Scizor could see the anger in the feline. He embraced it fully.

The Scizor watched as the Zeraora bounded towards him. The Scizor's eyes widened as he was sent flying into the air by the Bounce. Nevertheless, the Scizor attempted to turn the situation around, by attempting to grab the feline with his pincer. If he were able to get the creature into a Bug Bite, he'd attempt to bring his weight back down towards the ground, and slam him into the arena.

MBUEj1BC

tags:

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 21:46:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Ripper was as powerful and as resilient as Josh remembered. What he didn't remember was how nimble and precise the Scizor was, snatching the fast-moving feline out of the air during his high-speed, uppercut-like pounce. When it looked like things could not get any worse, the bug-type hurled Raikiri to the ground in a loud crash.

Flinching, Josh rose his Z-GLOVE to head level, turning its Z-Crystal to face his feline partner. The Zeraora's QUICKINIUM-Z glowed a brilliant white-yellow, the mythical Pokémon vanishing from sight in a HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE so fast that even his speed-trained eyes could barely follow it. Were the Scizor somehow able to evade the electrified paws flying toward him at supersonic speed, the trail of lightning and the aural explosion left in his wake were equally dangerous threats!

fjGhG5jD+50

Z-Move used this turn!

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 21:50:34 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Ripper watched as the Zeraora became bathed in energy. The metal insect knew this was going to hurt. All he could do was brace himself for the charge, as best he could.

Despite his best efforts, the Scizor was thrown back several feet, landing on his back with a thud.

Far from giving up, Ripper staggered back to his feet, glowering at the Zeraora. The Scizor began to take a stance, as if readying himself for what was to come. The Hisuian art of the Double Hit stance.

uR|0nPEi

tags:
notes: 2/3

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 23:57:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Though the Z-Move was extraordinarily fast and powerful, it also left Raikiri reeling afterward. Any advantage that he would have gained had been lost and them some as he stayed back to catch his breath. There was plenty of time for Ripper to stand and take a fighting stance.

Though he was unable to attack, Raikiri was far from defenseless, running around the Scizor in a burst of AGILITY designed not to go faster, but to ease down from the peak speed he had put on before. He had to preserve the strength that remained in his paws: while he was used to using friction to ignite them, too much heat could cause serious harm to him.

n_8DTk3X

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2024 1:14:03 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Ripper carefully studied the movements of his opponent. He took notice to the fact that the Z-Move left them reeling. Despite this, Ripper was not going to get cocky. One wrong move, and the Zeraora could easily turn this around.

After taking a moment to observe the Zeraora, Ripper finally decided to strike. The Scizor attempted to intercept the path of the Zeraora with a quick Bullet Punch.

nw7_s_Xf

tags:
notes: 1/3

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2024 19:51:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Though Raikiri was running out of energy, he could still run at speeds that just about any rider would consider merciless. Even Josh, perhaps the fastest Pokémon trainer in Hoenn, experienced a high unlike anything his other Pokémon could induce when subjected to the thundercat's full ferocity. It was as though extreme speed, to him, was a legal recreational drug.

The BULLET PUNCH knocked Raikiri back to the corner, his legs unable to carry him any further. With him being immobile and ready to fall at any moment, he could only rely on his ranged attacks. From his whiskers and faceplate flew a trio of high-speed ELECTRO BALLS in a desperate attempt to down Ripper before he himself fell. There was also the issue of the match timer running out. Even if his attack landed, would it be in time?

LwcIcxdr

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2024 20:27:50 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

The Bullet Punch caused the Scizor to stumble. The battle had drained him, this he knew. The Zeraora was a tough opponent, he had to give the feline credit for that much.

Thomas, attempting to end the battle with a bang, opened his pocket watch, and pressed down on the Keystone in the middle of the clock face. The Scizor was bathed in Infinity Energy, before emerging in his Mega Evolved form.

The Scizor charged the Raikiri, attempting to weave through the Electro Balls, before attempting to end the fight in a frenzy of punches. A last act of defiance through Close Combat.

Qx5xFeuG +20

tags:
notes: 1/3
GIMMICK: Mega Evolution Activated

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2024 20:34:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Mega Evolution and CLOSE COMBAT were too late; by the time the series of blows hurled the exhausted Zeraora out of bounds, the buzzer had sounded. The judges did not need to deliberate long; after convening for less than half a minute, the head judge waved the fighting-type attack off, declaring Josh the winner. Had he become better at clock management as the event went on?

The Gym Leader withdrew his Zeraora and offered Thomas a handshake. "Can't believe I pulled that one off. If you want to see more of him in action, maybe I'll drop by your ranch some time. You're more than welcome to go riding with me. It may not look like it, but Raikiri can seat two!"

{PC: 7}

svhPiX5l
close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
awards
2,498 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2024 20:39:21 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

Before Ripper could reach the Zeraora, an Electro Ball struck the insect, causing him to collapse to the ground. The Scizor let out one short chuckle, before falling unconscious.

Thomas recalled the Scizor, and met Josh in the middle.

"Good battle.", he told the Gym Leader.

"Two big guys like us? I'd rather not take that chance.", he told the Gym Leader with a chuckle.

tags:
notes: 0/3
DEFEAT

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,029 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2024 1:51:03 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]VCT COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: