Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
AREA ZERO EXCURSION B - Elisabeth/Howard
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2024 10:03:08 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Sitting behind the desk got boring, Underboss Fiorelli?"

The voice of Howard Slayte rings through the air of Area Zero like a bell as he leans against the mining rig. Every word from his mouth should sound mocking, but there is nothing on the admin's face that hints at his true intentions. For better or for worse, Howard was remarkably good at keeping his true intentions hidden from his superior.

They were similar in that way.

"It's an honor. Truly." He blinked as he looked at her, before surveying the crystal cave that surrounded them. There was a glint of unease in his eye as he looked at the crystals that lined the cave's walls, but it was quickly snuffed out as he yawned. "Are you interested in geology too, ma'am?"

Unlikely. Flowers struggled to grow in such rocky soil. Nonetheless, he figured that he'd ask to pass the time. He had Sigilyth and Claydol acting as sentries. They weren't powerful Pokemon, but they would ensure that the two wouldn't be attacked by someone hiding in the bushes.

mcj4OYJZ

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 1:51:12 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal elisa2"]
[attr="class","top"]

Her Venusaur, rather than Wo-chien, had shadowed her on this missive. A subtle tremor of EARTH POWER moved to unearth ways forward, careful to let the crystals remain untouched.[break][break]

"An honor, is it?" she replied dryly, well aware of her infamous reputation among Rocket's higher and lower echelon alike. Nonetheless she drew closer to him as she inspected the crystalline cavern. "I suppose I'm getting time out for good behavior."[break][break]

Her opinion of was fairly neutral, which was to say it was fairly positive. He appeared bright enough, he knew better than to show his unlikeable personality traits publicly, and he completed all his tasks in a tidy and efficient manner. All in all, Elisabeth would have preferred most Rockets to be exactly like him.[break][break]

This would change, undoubtedly, if she knew the mutinous thoughts that existed in the man's head.[break][break]

"Geology was never my strong suit, no. But jewels were a passing interest of my late husband's," she commented, the statement as casual as a remark about a change in weather. "You pick up a few things in passing, after awhile."[break][break]

xSkWXlfc

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".elisa2"] --accent:#db7093!important; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#db7093; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"]margin:1px 15px 12px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn"] text-align:center;[/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn img"] background:none; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow:none; border:0px; float:none; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 9:01:05 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Late? I'm sorry for your loss, ma'am."

Of course her husband was dead. Elisabeth had probably driven the knife there herself. There was nobody bolder to wield it, and it took a special kind of unhinged to reach the upper echelons of Rocket. She probably used his blood to practice her calligraphy or something.

"I know a decent chunk about jewelry. It's not my emphasis, but I learned from the family business." He mentioned it casually. He wasn't the son of a millionaire family or a CEO to-be, but his mother's chain of jewelry stores did quite well in Hoenn. "There's a lot you can learn from a culture based on how they handle jewels."

The rig kept drilling away as the earth shifted under Sequoia's feet. Loud. Annoying. In that regard, it was the same as his own voice.

"Such as?" He raised an eyebrow and smiled, internally screaming as she moved closer. His eye flicked to the Venusaur, as if expecting to see Wo-Chien in disguise. "What did you learn of the craft?"

Testing her, as if implying disbelief. An innocent question, a mocking jape wrapped in several layers of protection. Any insult was so deeply hidden that it'd be easy to view the slight as imagined.

58Ynd|L_

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 10, 2024 3:37:37 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

She almost laughed at the expression of condolence. At this point, she half expected the rumors from Kalos had bled into Hoenn.[break][break]

Given her reputation, the truth behind that man's death was probably assumed by most, if they had even the most passing knowledge of her history.[break][break]

But would have no reason to know such a thing, and she was not in the mood to educate him, either. So the comment went unacknowledged.[break][break]

"Each jewel is differently valued, though all share certain inherent traits that are desirable," she murmured, as if this was an old recollection she'd dusted off and marveled at for the first time in awhile. "A diamond is desired for its carat weight, for example, and a ruby for its color. Naturally, the rarity of a specific jewel also contributes to its worth. So a red diamond, given its scarcity, is a spectacularly expensive luxury to possess."[break][break]

He wouldn't hear the same greed her husband possessed imbued in her own explanations, however. Sparkling baubles of that nature had little charm for her. Often, they felt like mocking things, signifying a cold and hollow implication of adoration and cherishment.[break][break]

Gifts of jewelry set with ornate gemstones were more for the people who observed her, than for her. They spoke of his worth and of his supposed investment in the woman he allowed to showcase that worth.[break][break]

"I suppose my knowledge is that of a spectator, and not that of a craftsmen," she added with a shrug. "Although if you know of any jewelers, there is a commission I have been considering, to replace a ring I have lost."[break][break]

She'd long given up hope of every finding it again, not realizing where it had gathered dust elsewhere.[break][break]

fRkCByS6

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#db7093; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"]margin:1px 15px 12px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn img"] background:none; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow:none; border:0px; float:none; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 1:33:51 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
He whistled in respect, clearly pleased by her knowledge in jewelry and appraisal. Between this and the calligraphy, her skills ranged from 'unfathomably wasted' to 'vaguely useful'. If only she hadn't decided to become a terrorist with Wo-Chien whispering into her ear. If only her personality wasn't that of a walking pipe bomb.

Her unspoken calculation of gemstones and their value was correct. If she had mentioned her stance, he would've laughed and clapped her on the shoulder, content to find another who realized the true value of items. Elisabeth understood the monetary value of nothing, given her funding for the holiday party.

"That's right. Very good, ma'am." He chuckled and shrugged. "They're also all worthless. Money is meaningless, and worth is irrelevant."

Only the poorest student and the wealthiest widow could come to terms on such an idea. One had barely had any, and the other too much.

"Underboss Fiorelli, you sign off on half of my budgets. You're acutely aware of what my job is." He smiled modestly. "I know a lot of people. Poisons, shards, crystals, rings... I can get them all."

The only limit was the amount of money one was willing to spend, and Howard knew that Elisabeth hardly cared on that front. She'd spent a grand on a stick of gum and deem it a valuable trade.

"I won't even have to go too far for the ring. It'd be my honor to give Underboss Fiorelli my aid."

It was impossible to tell if he was mocking her or not.

yEEliSly

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 3:11:39 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"Well, rarely do I get the opportunity to speak on the subject with an expert."[break][break]

A stray strand of blonde hair was tucked behind her ear at the unexpected praise, strangely flattered. She wasn't used to these little niche hobbies and interests getting positive attention in Rocket; truthfully, she usually kept them to herself, lest they invite potential mockery and derision.[break][break]

Being a woman who joined Rocket from a non-criminal background -- outside of toxicology and murder, anyway -- had always been a sore spot for her. Clawing past the low expectations of her peers had not been easy, but she had managed it.[break][break]

Though these days, Wo-chien and Tapu Fini both had bolstered that resume of infamy enough for those concerns to be behind her.[break][break]

"You raise an interesting point, however," she said, eyes briefly alight with sudden insight. "If the ring could be recovered, that would be preferred. It was a unique heirloom -- a poisoner's ring. If you'll humor me, I could give you its details, should you find it across your various networks."[break][break]

A moment's hesitation preceded her final decision to voice the clarifying information aloud.[break][break]

"I last saw it in a Lilycove hospital room. I was delivering flowers from Silph Co. to , after his... incident, almost two years ago."[break][break]

This was strictly true. It was not why she had gone to see him, but it was nonetheless true.[break][break]

"I have not seen it since."[break][break]

_SMAMUkf

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 3:25:38 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
?

Fuuuuck.

Howard had only met Fernando once in his life in the bowels of the Island Cave, where Howard had given the councilman a fake name and killed his Natu. What a battle it was, too. Using a Volcarona to defeat a single Natu while its back was turned while the councilman was distracted by a swarm of grunts.

Truly, Howard Slayte was strong.

That fight had always made him feel dirty, like something was amiss. Fernando had seen him. The only member of the League who knew that he was a member of Rocket. A fake name and a rudimentary disguise had protected him, but it was a flimsy shield. A paper shield was better than no shield at all.

The grunts had loved that battle. The rumors had spiraled since then, too. Everyone thought that Howard had defeated six of his Pokémon in a dramatic battle. The rumors frustrated him beyond comprehension. When a lie was uttered enough times, it became reality. Fiction was the death of truth.

"That sounds like great the tale, ma'am. You'll have to tell me sometime. As for the ring, I can try to hunt it down. A single ring is quite replaceable." Howard shrugged. "I can get you a replacement in the meantime."

They would never find that ring. Its fate was intertwined between Fernando and Elisabeth. It could not be unearthed by a random interloper. That connection is what gave it value. If Howard returned it to Elisabeth, it would mean nothing.

A worthless heirloom born of a lie and a grudge.

"Send me the details. Is it really so special to you?"

2C9UOR|d

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 4:47:39 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"It's not a particularly interesting story," she hedged, her hand becoming even more lost in her loose blonde curls. "I used to deliver many flower arrangements in those days."[break][break]

She'd only given the full confession of those events to . A partial confession, of sorts, had gone to .[break][break]

Some aspects of that tale nonetheless had remained personal to her, and her alone.[break][break]

She still refused to think about what had happened with Silph in the Lunar New Year. As far as she was concerned, in this moment, it never happened. A trick of the moonlight, that was all.[break][break]

"The ring was my mother's," she said then, expression softening. "I had it altered to serve as a weapon. A golden rosette would unfurl, if you put pressure on the thorns of the ring just so, to reveal a poisonous needle."[break][break]

She mimed the movement with her hand, then laughed self-consciously, only then realizing how ridiculous the whole thing sounded.[break][break]

Realistically, she'd never see it again. She'd stopped thinking about it since... since the Avatarship, she supposed. Perhaps it was only now, with her full mental faculties returned to her, that she could dwell on such thoughts again.[break][break]

"I don't suppose you have any interest in such things yourself, beyond as a collector and acquirer of unusual goods?"[break][break]

3O|TqNAi

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 8:11:01 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
A murder ring. That's what he expected from Elisabeth, now. Even the most innocent of items were tools for murder in her hand. There was no greater symbol for her ability to burn bridges than something as average as a ring turning into a poisonous weapon. As she mimed the motion, all Howard could do was think one thought.

This woman is lonely. She doesn't have a single friend in the whole wide world. They're all dead and rotting, food for the flowers she used to grow.

"Florist to underboss? I thought becoming admin from nothing had been a hard leap to make." Howard turned away and whistled to himself, his hat flapping in the wind. Having anything in common with this woman made his skin crawl. They were not heirs to large conglomerates, nor were they blessed with chosen bloodlines.

Elisabeth Fiorelli was just a vile woman.

"I'm a purveyor of history. If we can learn from an item, it should be chronicled and studied. I don't collect for the sake of collection." Howard exhaled through the nose as he turned around to face his superior. "We should be building the most complete portfolio of the past and present to offer our children in the future."

He spread his hands vaingloriously, though he didn't take a drop of pride from the motion. This was not about ego. It was not. It was a desire to chronicle.

"A meaningless ring, a giant made of ice, a strange set of tablets. If they have a past, then they have value to me. Especially since one of them belongs to one of Rocket's highest members. You'll be in the history books, I think." He frowned for a moment, before cocking his head.

"Two of those are yours, actually."

gn_feWvm

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2024 0:46:21 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"You think so?" she stated with apparent surprise, watching as he gesticulated with grand, sweeping motions. He had a theatricality to him, she thought, but it seemed rude to say so. Although usually, rudeness didn't stop her from stating such opinions aloud. Not these days.[break][break]

This must have meant she liked Howard, she supposed.[break][break]

"I have made peace with the idea I likely won't be remembered," she said, shrugging off the idea, before a frown creased her brow. "Mm. No. I think the version of me that will be remembered will be someone else. Someone who is easier to hate, or easier to love. It depends on who gets permission to tell that story."[break][break]

History was imperfect, because humanity was imperfect. All chroniclers had their own agenda, she had decided. Kalos's journalists had taught her that. The League had only confirmed that reality for her.[break][break]

If she were to be honest, Rocket had taught her that too.[break][break]

"I've learned it's easier when you don't care how people perceive you. Everyone needs a villain in their story, or a damsel to save." Another shrug. "People will choose what's convenient to their own ends."[break][break]

Every person she'd ever met had a perspective of her that didn't match with her own self-image.[break][break]

Half the time, she didn't trust the perception of others she held either. had been right -- she was not skilled at reading people, not in the slightest.[break][break]

The concept of objectivity seemed impossible to her.[break][break]

yg|1WnRn

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 7:47:44 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"If you don't care about how you're perceived, then you're a fool."

The admin's words are blunt. Despite his mockeries and masks and lies, there is genuine honesty. Howard misdirected and bewildered, but he made a point to avoid lying. Demeaning an underboss was not wise, but there was nobody here. Nobody here to laugh or bear witness to the words uttered by them.

They were alone, barring their Pokemon and the various Tera Crystals that glimmered around them. The mining rig noisily continues to harvest samples of the terrain.

"It's the equivalent of reading neither side of a historical account and claiming yourself objective. Ma'am, it is cowardice and ignorance born of apathy." The admin raised an eyebrow as he continued forward, regardless of the consequences. "People will move to what brings them comfort, but if you don't correct them, is it their fault or yours?"

An insult in private would be heralded and thanked. An insult in public would be nursed on forever, before turning into a grudge. Elisabeth Fiorelli loved those.

"You're right. The Elisabeth Fiorelli remembered by history will be the one that the victor proclaims. If we win, then you will have no flaws. If the League wins, then you will be a monster. The correct answer lies in the middle. It lies with me. It lies with that ring."

He gave her a toothy grin. Oh, how he loved to mock and jest. Nonetheless, his words were clear and delivered with intention. He knew little of the genuine Elisabeth, but her reputation preceded her.

"The truth is all that matters." Howard blinked once. "Can you stomach that, ma'am?"

JI3nVENq

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2024 3:47:36 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

She laughed at him, brightly and not unkindly, entertained by his unexpected transformation from admin to jester. Oddly it made her fonder of him.[break][break]

His conviction on such an absurd matter was built on a fundamental misunderstanding of the world, but that didn't irritate her the way that the ideals of and did. Nor did it grate and rankle like the self-righteousness of and others who disdained her state as a Ruinous Avatar.[break][break]

He didn't understand, that was all. He'd never been slandered by the world thoroughly enough to learn that the truth didn't matter.[break][break]

"Then perhaps you will be the one to write me down in history books, Admin Fox," she said, pacifying him with a non-answer. "I'd be curious to see what your version of the truth might be."[break][break]

For 'the truth' differed depending on the observer, always. Only one person in Hoenn knew her, truly knew her, in any way that mattered.[break][break]

.[break][break]

She didn't care what anyone else thought. One person was luxury enough.[break][break]

vY0TqNhj

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2024 21:00:29 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Won't know 'till I write it, will I? Are you worried about your portrayal?"

Her placation seemed to work, though. The admin tucked his chin to his chest as he pondered her statement on his version of the truth. He found the statement laughable, but he had pushed the underboss too far to risk demeaning her again. Despite her composed demeanor, this was still the woman who locked him in a bathroom with Wo-Chien.

His version of the truth? Please. There was only one version of it, and that was the unbiased perspective. Absolute. Just. Fair.

He'd find it, one day. Then, it'd be his. He'd never be forgotten then.

He had ideals. They were similar to Head Scientist Sato's and Isaac Merlo's. Howard just poisoned his with a gentle touch of reality, of understanding of reality. Howard was not blessed with control over reality. He was no visionary, and he was no liberator. He simply saw, he chronicled, he observed.

Admin Fox was not worthy.

"It doesn't matter anyways. We have to deal with the Tera Crystals and Eternatus and whatever else decides we don't deserve to exist. We'll win in the end, but it's such a bother. How much suffering does one generation need to struggle through?"

The answer was simple: however much was required.

K6JWPJCI

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 23:47:04 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

A breathless laugh and a shake of her head confirmed her indifference at his rendition of her. Curiosity was curiosity; it would be sated in the end, regardless of the part he'd have her play.[break][break]

Although something else he said fascinated her.[break][break]

"Do you always do that?" she inquired, studying him thoughtfully. "Assume victory, I mean."[break][break]

Surely a historian understood how commonplace loss was. Then again, his stance of surety was the same as the one held. Confidence in winning, perhaps, was a required component in success.[break][break]

She'd always struggled with that mentality. It was easier to avoid losing, than to secure victory.[break][break]

"I think suffering is a given in all existence," she continued, crossing her arms. "Wo-chien gives me a glimpse of it in others, sometimes. It seems to be what binds all humanity together -- our capacity to be wounded and betrayed."[break][break]

The same could be said for other emotions -- love, for example, or joy -- but she struggled to see others from such a lens.[break][break]

Suffering felt real in a way other emotions didn't.[break][break]

SvI_W85e

[attr="class","ooc"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,786 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 9:53:53 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
He stared at her.

"Because we've already won." The pretense of victory had been established long ago, when the world was young and man crawled from their caves to discover fire and build effigies to protect themselves from foreign threats. It was not arrogant to assume success again, when it had happened years ago.

"We're here now, aren't we? Living. Breathing. Existing. Do you think that would be the case if we ever lost?"

His voice is incredulous, as if even hinting at failure was some monumental crime. He did not believe in fate, or some divine providence of a creator deity. Howard did not even believe in himself.

"Do not underestimate mankind's capability for survival, nor our capability for malice." Howard blinked once. "We will match the infinite possibilities that Tera Crystals offer. Pound for pound. Dream for dream. We will win."

Howard Slayte was no Matias Silph. He lacked the nerve. He simply saw, witnessed, and wrote. There was no great pride to the act of witnessing history. Doing so was simply expected of the admin. Having hope, though? That was a far heavier load to carry.

"Because we have before."

UV2RvU13