6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2024 23:54:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...I couldn't imagine trying," Josh admitted as he pondered Matias' words. "Even trying to mount them, I'd probably melt long before I was able to sit on them. And even then, he's just so strong. Like... yeow."

The more he spoke with Matias, the more he realized the Great One's blessing, in the form Kyle and his Patron had bestowed upon him, may have been the best case scenario. Being able to wield a sword of lightning much like the one he brandished in the Galar Memory, pushing his Pokémon to truly supreme speeds, and being superlatively adept in the saddle were all great, but at the cost of answering to the whims of a god whose true disposition was largely unknown may not have been worth the price.

"Kyle and Ho-oh knew what they were doing. I still need to learn more about Swift, but I get the feeling he plays by... still different rules than Ho-oh, Groudon, Rayquaza, and others of their caliber." In time, he would discover that Swift's personality mirrored his own. If he wanted Swift to get stronger, he himself had to get stronger.

"Look what happened when lost control of Kyogre," he brought up the aftermath of what happened with the Tempest.

{PC: 8}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Aleph         Type: Null     Fair
Raikou        Raging Bolt    Good
Entei         Gouging Fire   Fair
Suicune       Walking Wake   Good
Swift         Raikou         Good
close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
i'll try to find you in mountains made of ash and clouds of smoke.
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 2, 2024 8:26:33 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","retiredsilphbg"]

[attr="class","retiredsilphtxt"]

[attr="class","retiredsilphicon"]
his gaze shifts to the raikou, taking in its muted colors; the ashen grey that reminds him of soot. if he closes his eyes, he'd see the remnants of mount chimney and all the ash that lay in its wake.

"well, of course it plays by different rules. it's dead, isn't it?"

the observation is delivered with a gesture to the beast. again, he bears no ill will. he merely states an assumption.

"it's not alive. it's simply a construct."
[attr="class","retiredsilphtag"]

[attr="class","retiredsilphpkmn"]

[newclass=.retiredsilphbg]background:url('https://file.garden/ZcNUTDRVyFfOaQBf/RP/matias/matiasgoodbye.png');width: 715px; height: 436px; clip-path: polygon(0 0, 680px 0, 680px 105px, 100% 105px, 100% 100%, 0 100%); position:absolute; margin-top:-30px; margin-left:-30px; pointer-events: none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt]margin:-40px 85px -40px 115px; position: relative; z-index: 2; padding: 30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt b]font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins';color:#a6847c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt i]font-style:italic; border-bottom:1px solid #474747; color:#a6847c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt a]font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphicon] margin: 2px 18px 7px 1px; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; overflow: hidden; float: left; background-color: #303030; background-size: contain;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtag]text-align:center;border-top:#555 solid 1px;padding-top:10px;margin-top:20px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt blockquote]border:1px solid #aaa; background:transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 10px; font-size: 10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt blockquote b]color:#aaa;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .vdice-box]background: transparent; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .vdice-value]border:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphdice]font:800 20px Poppins; line-height:80px; text-align:center;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinnote]border-width: 6px 6px 6px 6px;border-style:solid;border-radius:10%;border-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/IxR9pR1.png') 6 6 6 6 repeat repeat;padding:6px 8px;background:#aaa;color:#232323;text-align:justify;font:11px Calibri;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .audiojs]background: transparent; color:#aaa; border:1px solid #aaa; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .audiojs .progress]background: #aaa;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn]width:365px; display:flex; justify-content:center; align-items:center; margin-bottom: 20px; margin-left:145px;margin-top: -10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn img]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(100%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn img:hover]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(0%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphart]text-align:center; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphart img]height:100px; width: 363px; object-fit:cover; border:1px solid #aaa; border-radius:5px; position:relative; z-index:1; filter:grayscale(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphartdrk]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#303030; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-104px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: lighten;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphartlght]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#aaa; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-100px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: darken;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 4, 2024 19:55:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The remark that Raikou was dead made Josh sniff. Not full-on cry like his past self would have, but it would be easy for the Avatar to tell he was holding emotion back. "Matias, have you heard the Unovan folk tale about a carpenter who crafted a doll and treated that doll like his own son? One day, the doll came to life, taking on sentience of its own. With the carpenter's guidance, experience, and love, the doll became a real boy."

The children's story resonated with Josh, both in his last moments with Kyle and now. The Raikou was horn from the ashes of his past self and from the ashes of his favorite Raikou plush. The one that had rest on his desk during his long office shifts. The one he took with him everywhere, including to his match with the late Top Champion. The first one he had, and the only one he had before he moved to Hoenn.

"He may not be alive in the traditional sense. But even so, Swift's my boy," he added, a single tear crawling down each of his cheeks. "And if there's anyone that can bring him back to true life, it's the Great One. They already did it once. And they can do it again."

{PC: 9}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 5, 2024 6:56:11 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

as he listens to the gym leader speak, a smile curls onto his features, etching itself against the rough exterior of the volatile.

"josh," he breathes a sigh, "some stories are merely that. that's all they will ever be."

but for the sake of not dismissing the man entirely, he continues, sparing a gesture to the raikou.

"if what you believe is true, then the question you need to ask is: why hasn't it done so already?"

[newclass=.retiredsilphbg]background:url('https://file.garden/ZcNUTDRVyFfOaQBf/RP/matias/matiasgoodbye.png');width: 715px; height: 436px; clip-path: polygon(0 0, 680px 0, 680px 105px, 100% 105px, 100% 100%, 0 100%); position:absolute; margin-top:-30px; margin-left:-30px; pointer-events: none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt]margin:-40px 85px -40px 115px; position: relative; z-index: 2; padding: 30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt b]font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins';color:#a6847c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt i]font-style:italic; border-bottom:1px solid #474747; color:#a6847c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphicon] margin: 2px 18px 7px 1px; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; overflow: hidden; float: left; background-color: #303030; background-size: contain;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtag]text-align:center;border-top:#555 solid 1px;padding-top:10px;margin-top:20px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt blockquote]border:1px solid #aaa; background:transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 10px; font-size: 10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .vdice-box]background: transparent; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphdice]font:800 20px Poppins; line-height:80px; text-align:center;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinnote]border-width: 6px 6px 6px 6px;border-style:solid;border-radius:10%;border-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/IxR9pR1.png') 6 6 6 6 repeat repeat;padding:6px 8px;background:#aaa;color:#232323;text-align:justify;font:11px Calibri;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphtxt .audiojs]background: transparent; color:#aaa; border:1px solid #aaa; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn]width:365px; display:flex; justify-content:center; align-items:center; margin-bottom: 20px; margin-left:145px;margin-top: -10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn img]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(100%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphpkmn img:hover]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(0%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]

[newclass=.retiredsilphart img]height:100px; width: 363px; object-fit:cover; border:1px solid #aaa; border-radius:5px; position:relative; z-index:1; filter:grayscale(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphartdrk]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#303030; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-104px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: lighten;[/newclass]
[newclass=.retiredsilphartlght]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#aaa; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-100px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: darken;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 7:19:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Was that smirk one of belittlement? Or was it one of Matias acknowledging Josh's growth since leaving his mark in Hoenn's Hall of Fame? It mattered not. He felt their rocky relationship was on the way to what it was when Josh first came to Hoenn. They were friends back then. Reliable partners. "Even so, all too many stories take inspiration from the truth."

Sparks of inspiration flew from the young man, supercharged by his faith in the Great One and the legacy Kyle left in his hands. In their meeting, had made Josh aware that Raikou's death could not be confirmed. Until then, he still had hope to meet the Beast. Little did he know that he would have the power to give the Raikou new life. The knowledge of that power had been lost, though; taken with Kyle to his grave. Perhaps he would discover it on his own one day. "Timing," Josh answered. "It is clear that the Great One was acting in the League's best interests under Kyle's Avatarship. She'll watch over Swift under my care like she did under Kyle's. I have faith."

{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 8:16:27 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

it is not a smirk of belittlement, no, more so relief that despite all the turmoil they've been through, josh's optimism and childlike wonder hasn't diminished. if anything, it might even have flourished.

"your faith is admirable."

foolish, perhaps, but who is he to judge what empowers others.

"i hope it stays that way. really, i do. but i'm sure you can feel it too."

he pauses.

"there's a fight coming. i can feel it, the same i felt in kanto."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 8:43:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Part of the boy's strength of faith was in his belief of the life after the current one. The afterlife. "The Johtonian Scriptures state that those who suffer in the Great One's name in this life will be rewarded with eternity in paradise during the next. I would gladly do so in Her name. Our time in this world is ephemeral. It is fleeting. Our time in the world beyond this one is eternal."

Perhaps one day in that life, Josh would get to soar ahead of a colossal rainbow. But likely not in this life. He felt flying on the rainbow bird was blasphemous. At Matias' remark, Josh would extend his hand to be shaken. "My faith in the Great One is unwavering, and it will see us through this war. The war on Rocket. As the Great One's Knight of Thunder, the Hero of Johto, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Right, there was a military operation, was there not?

"As Elite Four, I am sure you were apprised of Sootopolis long before we as Gym Leaders were. This is why it is important for me to figure out Swift before then. Rocket won't see it coming. They'll think Raikou and Suicune died with Kyle. They thought Raikiri was fast? Swift's even faster. They won't know what hit 'em!" He gestured toward the ashen Beast. "You're welcome to a run with him and I if you want. It's my way of returning the favor for Virizion."

{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 7, 2024 9:57:48 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

"i'll pass for now."

he smiles at the offer, not feeling up for running with the ashen raikou at the moment. maybe later, if they ever get the chance to again.

"when it comes down to it, remember your strengths, devlin. you're fast, so if there's a need to protect the civilians —" and there will be based on his many years of experience in kanto "— it may be wise to leave the hitting to others."

with genuine advice given, matias moves on with a laugh.

"there's a chance i might not be there, though, but i'm sure my replacements will be just fine."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 7, 2024 22:00:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Somewhat disappointing, but expected. For those not trained for it, a Raikou's speed was vomit-inducing, remembering how ne nearly threw up the first time he invoked the Beast's Extreme Speed whe Kyle was still alive. He longed for it, being able to race across the land at almost invisible speeds. Alas, his relationship with the Raikou was too young. One day. One day, it would happen. And he would be in paradise on earth.

"My stay in Dewford Regional Hospital gave me all kinds of time to consider that," Josh replied, climbing back onto Swift not because he was leaving, but because he felt more comfortable astride the ashen Beast. "That's why I've devised a new challenge at Mauville Gym. It's for training war couriers and suppliers. The front lines need information, medicine and supplies to keep going out there. Having people who can keep supply lines flowing is just as important as those who do the actual fighting. I'm still waiting on approval from and the Elite Four; it got declined once in February." He had since made substantial revisions to the challenge. It would be an additional option alongside the racing challenge; that challenge brought in too much revenue to drop.

"It only takes getting shot so much to know one's place on the battlefield."

{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 4:26:08 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

"not a fan of getting shot?"

if that's all it takes to dissuade josh from the frontlines, then that's probably for the best. far worse happens and if they don't have the will for it, then they'd only be a detriment.

"would it not be easier to leave it out of the gym challenge and have it be its own thing? easier to get approval if it's separate. don't even think you'd need approval at all in that case."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 9, 2024 3:39:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The rapport between them was already being repaired; Josh could tell from the Avatar's tone. It seemed almost exactly like it was in Lavaridge, that night they went out to dinner together and the young man learned much about Avatars. "When you have to have enough Bullet Seeds extracted from you to fill an entire cup..." he trailed off, unsure where he was going with the anecdote. "But hey, I can't say I didn't try. I've found my place in the war. I might never be a war hero like you were, but I know my contributions will be vital for the League's victory this summer."

Matias did have a point, though it was one that Josh quickly dismissed. "The problem is the training would take place on the Gym grounds and is engineered around the layout there. I'll need to ask Commissioner if what you propose is okay." The issue was more complicated than that, though. "I just want Mauville Gym to be able to contribute to the war effort a little more directly. Plus..." he trailed off again before resuming, "Mauville Gym's... been slow. Challenger volume's down a lot. I need to drum up business somehow."

{PC: 13}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 10, 2024 3:43:48 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

"you don't have to be in the frontlines to be a war hero. but, sure, it's much easier to get your efforts seen there."

because that's where the glory lies — in the forefront of the battle, not at the backbones of support even though all their contributions matter the same. without a functioning part, the entire body crumbles.

he nods.

"then expand the gym grounds. i might not have access to groudon's powers anymore but my pokemon are more than capable of terraforming."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 10, 2024 20:45:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Exactly," Josh replied, smiling toward Matias for the first time in quite some time. "It's not about the recognition. It's about what you do for your region. Your country. Making a difference in the lives of the people you protect." Was he at last understanding what Josh had tried to bang through Groudon's thick skull?

Expanding the Gym grounds was something Josh had not considered. Securing the land grant he did proved to be a challenge. "Perhaps as a Champion, I have more sway. I might see if I can secure another grant--"

Josh blinked, looking confused at Matias' latest revelation. "Wait, Groudon left you?" he assumed, even his Pokémon diverting their attention toward the Volatile -- or formerly the Volatile, perhaps. He was uncertain whether that title applied any longer. Just what could have happened on that mountain for the earth god of Hoenn to sever such a long Avatarship?

{PC: 14}

close tab

played by

noodles

matias
he/him
thirty-two
november 14th
saffron
straight...unless?
elite four
champion
a life
to live for.
1321 height
1321 height
awards
8,127 posts
MATIAS SILPH DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @matias
MATIAS SILPH
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 11, 2024 7:44:54 GMT
MATIAS SILPH Avatar

he should have expected such a reaction from . the click of his tongue is not to chastise the gym leader, but to remind himself to be more insightful in the future.

"groudon is under league custody, but i'm afraid our connection has been severed."

the explanation is delivered in a hushed tone to reiterate how sensitive it is.

"that's part of why i've been doing better now." he taps his temple. "my mind is now free."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
rights and wrongs
POSTED ON May 12, 2024 4:11:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Groudon was a huge loss for the League. With Kyogre frenzied and now the Land Titan locked away like Jirachi and Tapu Koko were, two of their most potent weapons in the invasion of Sootopolis were gone. The whisper was all Josh needed to hear; it seemed only the League higher-ups had been made aware, if even all of them were. It must have been a difficult moment, once being an Avatar and having his wondrous earth-bending powers stripped from him without notice.

"To be able to control a mind like that..." Josh gasped. "Wearing a Sygna Suit is truly like being an Avatar on a lesser scale, isn't it? Ever since I synced with my Manectric, my fuse seems to have grown shorter. To be able to control, even dominate the mind, though..." The more he talked to Avatars about their experience, the more terrifying it sounded. Even so, the desire to be the Great One's Cavalier remained within his subconscious, beating sharply upon the rest of his mind. Why, though? "And you're not the only one that's lost control. , too. The way you said that, it's almost like you were freed from your Patron's enslavement."

{PC: 15}