6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2024 3:25:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There was still a glimmer of hope that was alive. After all, he had a bond with a Patron that could cheat death itself. Josh was aware of how the Emergent went, if was to be believed: a PRECIPICE BLADE to a vital organ. If it was true, one of his best friends, the one whom Josh believed foresaw his death enough to bestow Raikou upon him, went almost instantly.

He had to know for sure, though.

Wearing a hot suit and standing next to several of his Pokémon adept at navigating hot climes, the Champion was ready to lead into, or above, the smoldering caldera in search of Kyle's remains. "I refuse to believe his body would disappear completely," Josh said over comms. "If you don't have a Pokémon for the terrain, you can borrow one of mine. But if he's out there somewhere, we've got to find him. Take his body back to the League. An autopsy will tell us everything." The Shiny Charizard Josh sat astride roared, as if reflecting his trainer's own internal frustration of the Top Champion's life being taken.

{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Ares          Charizard**    Good
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
180 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2024 18:58:49 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwendolyn hadn't been able to see the full sights and sounds of Area Zero, as she had been busy with the HOME Project and working with some Pokemon that had been in need of some care and such. But from the scenery she was faced with upon arrival, it was hard to say that this was going to be a feel good trip around a crater. Her brows furrowed at thinking that the body of would be down here somewhere, charred beyond recognition.

"I'm good. I've got my own ride this time."

She tossed out her Druddigon as the rather uncharacteristically colored dragon-type would appear onto the scene in front of her. The dragon huffed as Gishath hopped into its awaiting arms and Gwen climbed onto his back. She had her doubts about the ordeal, but some part of her hoped that they could find out here in all of this.

"But Josh, I...just think you should be ready for this. I'm not close with him, but you definitely were. If we do find him, are you sure you can handle it?" Her comms came through a little staticy as she fiddled with the receiver to try and clear up some of the static. "I'll help you however I can, but if he is out there..."

She hesitated, though soon took off into the air on her Pokemon's back alongside the Champion. She held onto his back and hummed to herself, looking all around their environment.

"I can cover the south if you'd like to head up North?"

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2024 2:57:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was a bit surprised to see Gwendolyn's choice of Pokémon. It wasn't a bad choice, but he thought she would use a fire Pokémon of some kind. "Is your Druddigon going to be cool enough?" he asked, unrecognizable by sight alone while wearing the bulky, white suit designed to create an airtight heat seal. "Because when we get close to the crater, it's going to get boiling. Literally boiling. We can't even bring water down there because it will boil away from within whatever we put it in."

Even if she couldn't enter the crater, the flying Druddigon would make a good scout. Only once the duo were in the air would the Champion respond to her. "You have no idea, Gwen. I wish I could tell you why. But I can't. League secret." They were good friends. It pained him to have to keep Raikou hidden from a fellow Ranger. Unfortunately, he couldn't share his possession of Raikou with anyone except League officials that were Ranger Captains and up.

"I just want to know what happened to him. How he died. Was it just the eruption? Or was it something far more sinister?" He already knew the answer to that question, too. "Anyway, we can split up; just try to turn around to keep an eye on the other from time to time. And let me handle searches lower to the ground if you can. I don't want you falling into the caldera. It may be solid, but there's magma not far underneath it. And your suit won't protect you against any amount of immersion in that."

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
180 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2024 0:59:00 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

"We've been through worse." Gwen said and rubbed the side of the Druddigon's head. He was still grumpy but the tail behind him swing back and forth. Gishath even let his intentions be known to the both of them, letting out a sudden hiss while seated comfortably in his ride's hands. "If we need too, I'll hang back and let you dive into the boiling depths. Some of us don't have the luck of getting a Charizard yet." She joked with the other Ranger while taking off soon enough. Sure, things weren't exactly the most ideal teamwise, but Gwen would figure it out on the fly.

The sign of any good craftsman.

"More League secrets, huh?" she repeated, rolling her eyes behind her suit. "I swear, it feels like you guys keep more secrets than Rocket some days, but I won't prod. Let's focus on finding Kyle while we have the chance."

The two were off and diving into the wide area that was the crater of Area Zero. Following Josh's instructions, Gwen remained as high and away from the ground as possible, or what little there was to be considered ground in here. The sheer heat was enough to melt any uncovered skin that wasn't reinforced with scales or some other way to vent heat. The Druddigon slowly flew around farther away from Josh as they split into two separate directions, though not enough to lose sight of one another.

"This is a first for me. Never thought I've come to see this place. Shame I can't stay too long, or else I'd just spend all day watching Pokemon here." Gwen and her crew swooped down by a vantage point while she continued to try and search for any signs of disturbance or something that didn't belong in a place like this. "No sign of him yet. How's stuff on your end?"

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2024 1:23:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was better equipped to go diving deeper, what with a fire Pokémon protecting him. "Right. I'll take a closer look if need be. I'd rather stay out of the heat; might need to come back with a full-body heat suit." Several other Pokémon would have done the trick, too, including Talonflame. Any Pokémon that could both fly and resist heat. A waterfowl such as Swanna, with the right moves, would have been able to last long enough to make dips into the burning air.

Even so, it would be a wise idea for them to stay out of any air alight with embers. "You'll find out in due time. I get why they need it to be hush hush." A legendary Pokémon allying with the League was certainly something that needed to stay quiet until deployment. He couldn't wait for that deployment; once it was over, he could at last share with his friends the joy of making his dream a reality.

Josh, too, didn't see anything from his side at high altitudes. He met up with Gwen above the center of the crater, landing Ares on a thick spire so he could rest his wings for a bit. "Nothing from high up. I think I need to go deeper. Just what happened here, anyway? It looks totally different from how it used to."

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
180 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON May 1, 2024 5:53:07 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

"Roger, roger~" Gwen said in response to Josh's desire to take a diver closer to the surface. Her team no doubt would be able to keep an eye on things up here. Minus the embers and flames being spewed out every few seconds or so. That was just the hard part to deal with around here! "Just be careful around. We can't lose you too. If you start doubting yourself, pull back and we'll come back some other day."

Hew split from her as the period of searching began. Gwen did have to wonder what on earth they would be hush hush about that even Rangers couldn't learn about it. It didn't once dawn at her that maybe a Ranger Trainee wouldn't be privy to information given so freely to captains, but that was besides the point! She just scoffed and shook her head.

Some time later, her and Josh caught back up and landed so the dragons could have their wings rest. The Druddigon was warm, and looked to have signs of overheating. Gwen did her best to try and cool him down, even sacrificing her own water to make sure he didn't give out on them. Gishath, meanwhile, would eye Josh's Charizard and give off a most threatening hiss that only a toothless Gabite could manage.

"No clue. I've only read about the reports of people who came here before...this happened." Gwen replied back to Josh, crossing her arms. "If he fell in here, how do we know he's even still here? The heat here would melt him in an instant. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but it's getting harder to think that he may still be kicking..."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Gwen] Suzaku
POSTED ON May 4, 2024 3:39:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Of course," Josh replied. "I know my limits... and not just my speed limits," he joked, trying to get both of them to relax more during their search. Ares needed his rest; with the stakes being higher the closer to the caldera they got, it was important that he had as much of his strength as possible. While the suit would protect him against extreme heat, it offered no such protection against lava. Ares stuck his tongue out at the Gabite, not appreciative of the taunt. "Ares, I'm sure her Gabite doesn't mean harm," Josh assured the dragon, whose pride only grew more after his aged skin turned the jet color dragon trainers could only dream of.

"He was Ho-oh's Avatar," Josh reminded Gwen. Agents of the gods often played by different rules, what 's blanket heat and lava immunity as he understood it. "Those people are built different. Ho-oh is also a god of fire. I wouldn't be surprised if he could survive down there. It's just a matter of bringing the right Pokémon to him." The list of people Josh knew, to his understanding, that could survive in such harsh conditions was small. Kyle just happened to be on that list.

{PC: 4}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights