Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Mar 24, 2020 3:51:30 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

He'd been simply ripping apart anything and everything that reminded him of Howitzer: Old photo albums, containers of chew toys and pillow beds she'd overgrown years ago. Some of them still had chew marks. God dammit; why...

Throwing out her stuff and pushing it out of mind is all he can think of to try and cope. But is it really coping? Every memory of her makes him misty eyed and remorseful, which leads to him avoiding people and shutting himself indoors.

It's been over a week. It needs to change.

But he's deluding himself, trying to tear the memory of her away and throw it somewhere out of sight; out of mind. But Howitzer was part of him, from childhood up until now. She wasn't something that could be excised so easily, nor should she. What he really needed was to let it out.

I'm sorry Noah got suckered into this. :pepehands
I'm all for him having foreknowledge, either from the news, etc. We can talk it out if you want.
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2020 6:37:13 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 when noah is enlightened of howitzer's passing, he sends adrian a text. still, the message seems clinical to noah. sterile. devoid of color and timbre. he makes it a point to come visit- and buys boxed lunches along the way.

with his plastic bag in one hand, noah pushes the door open. already unlocked, perhaps, as if in anticipation of his arrival.

when he sees adrian, he smiles weakly. "hey buddy." spreading his arms, he beckons for an embrace.

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2020 11:24:07 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

Adrian could hear the door swinging in on its latches only barely, padding out to the front door with a few cardboard boxes stuffed with ravaged stuffed toys and bone treats with tooth marks. Settling it down on a counter with a ruffling sound, he pads over to Noah and claps a single arm around their back very quickly before retreating.

"Hey." When he pulls away he sees that look in Noah's eyes. Like Adrian was some wounded animal, or some otherwise pitiable manifestation.

He'd started seeing it a lot lately. That twinge of empathy that twisted and contorted their faces. It made him wonder what he looked like, his features sloping down with a stale look of exasperation, as he turned away and gestured towards the belongings. "I've just been, y'know... cleaning."

His throat croaks in a monotone that trembles as it progresses enough that he simply stopped talking while taking a moment to regain the composure that was all-too-clearly slipping away from him.

There was okay, and then there was this... purgatory.

"...Thanks for comin' to help me out." He took a seat at the counter, hoping to take a moment and chew things down. Tough it out just a little more...

"Are You Okay?"
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2020 6:56:45 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 noah comes to the counter and takes a seat beside him. he sets the plastic bag down and unearths the boxed lunch. some chicken soup in a styrofoam container sits beside it, the plastic lid dotted in faint yellow bubbles.

"hey, anytime." noah says. "got some curry rice for you. don't think you'd wanna cook when you're done."

he sees the boxes, the mementos of the dead. but noah doesn't stare for too long.

"is there anything i can do for you buddy?" noah says. "i'm yours for the day!"

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2020 1:39:44 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"...Thanks." That was pretty cool of him... It was probably the truth, too. It wouldn't be the first time Adrian shut himself away in his room without looking after his most basic needs first...

"I just need help tossing this stuff out..." There was more, and some of it was heavier, tailored for Howitzer when she'd been full grown. A rather large floor bed covered in her shed fur, and at least a few more boxes. And her pokeball...

Actually, he had that tucked on his belt still... A hand reached for that smooth, polished exterior, noticing more clearly that cold, steely touch it had now that it was empty and technically defunct.

"I figured you'd be pretty good at some heavy lifting..." The way he said it was like an attempt at humor, though he didn't seem moved, and this was the sort of guy to laugh at his own jokes.

Adrian eventually pulled himself together enough to grab up about half of the garbage into his arms before making the long voyage downstairs, knowing full well Noah would be behind him. But even after making it so far, eventually everything fumbled out of his hands, sent scattering across the sidewalk. Christ, I'm just falling apart here...

He needed more time for this, Adrian still wasn't ready to give up grieving. Trying to get this done all at once and so soon left him a mess.

And all in front of company, too. He felt sorry.

"Add Insult To Injury"
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2020 2:07:38 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 noah casts a forlorn glance at howitzer's belongings. remnants of their shared life rest in nests of fur and divots of bites. he sees these clearly— life surrounded by dog pokemon prompts him to search for what is now obvious.

"'course i am." noah says, laughing for adrian.

he hoists his share. arms stretch wide, fingers barely grasping the other side of his own cardboard box. when adrian drops his artifacts, noah does not need to see to know what has just transpired.

noah sets his box down and drapes his arm across the other's shoulders. he leans close, a fragile smile still curled into his cheeks.

"are you sure you wanna throw all of this out now?" noah says. "could be a good idea to keep a few, maybe. for now, at least. just to remember the good times, right?"

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2020 12:52:17 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

He rattled his head side-to-side in sweeping gestures, like he was wrestling with the very idea, so pointedly standing in opposition to it. "No... I can't keep looking at them." His eyes went misty as he bit back at the tears and feeble whimper attempting to escape his lips.

Howitzer had given her everything so he could become a pokemon trainer... and he'd squandered those fatalistic loyalties the moment he'd started chasing after something else. He'd gotten cocky...

In his hubris, he'd offered up an innocent life to die... and all for absolutely nothing to come of it. Even outside the fact that Howitzer was ostensibly his closest companion, whom now left a void where her love once was; it was that his naivety cost Howitzer her life, all in service to an undeserving master. It made his gut churn and twist into knots.

After taking a moment to find comfort in that touch of familiarity between them, Adrian quickly remembered the scattered goods and set about recompiling them. 'Out of sight, out of mind.'

He finished lugging the assortment towards a dumpster before setting it down, throwing back the garbage lid with a loud clank before beginning to trash all of Howitzer's worldly belongings.
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 1:13:22 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 noah collects adrian's memories. carefully, he plucks each toy, feeling each bite mark, each fraying thread. the box he had carried is tossed in right after— and as howitzer's belongings disappear into the chasm, the cold thud of a garbage lid slamming close rings in his bones.

"you must've loved howitzer a ton, man."

noah says. he says it without thinking, as if the utterance is summoned by the sincerity of adrian's mourning.

"how are ya holding up? we could take a quick break— or i could quickly do the rest for you." noah smiles. "i don't mind."

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2020 14:16:01 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"She was my first pokemon." Adrian wondered if maybe perhaps not everyone doted over their pokemon the way he did, or didn't grow as attached, perhaps to avoid situations like these.

"We were going to beat the Pokemon League Gym Challenge together..." He'd been chasing a dream with her, but now that dream felt hollow, stripped of its natural appeal entirely. It was no longer his chiefest ambition, having lost its allure.

He'd set out to prove something alongside Howitzer. Without her, there was nothing left to prove past his self-evident ineptitude.

But on the matter of finishing up, Adrian braced a hand against the nape of his neck, stroking it sheepishly as he managed to keep his tone apologetic. "We can take a break back inside."

Once inside he started tapping away at his cell phone after sinking into his seat, taking a moment to mull over his words, lest he mince them.

"Do you need anything...?" Adrian had sat back in his seat to address Noah, making a gesture towards the fridge and the house at large.

"You can turn on the telly if you'd like. Just make yourself at home." Adrian knew that was hardly second nature to most people, himself included, but that didn't stop him from having the good manners to play host. "Do you drink...?"

Adrian would've followed up asking if he smoked, but somehow he figured Noah wasn't the type, probably because of his athleticism. Eyes that were once empty saucers now floated amicably towards his guest's physique, gleaning no small delight.

"How's work going, by the way? I heard somethin' about Rustboro's New Gym Leader on the news not long ago..." Now how could he have forgotten that? He'd meant to congratulate him at some point, but it'd always eluded him...
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2020 2:28:57 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 "yeah, not as much as i used to, but i do. wanna share a beer, man?" noah moves to the fridge, his hand clutching the handle.

he opens it anyway. the warn light from inside shines outward, and the cold air clings to his limbs. noah searches for cans— and whether adrian's fridge is full or not.

"work's okay! still do cadet training on top if it all, but i get some freedom in picking hours." noah leans back, his dark hair swinging with his head. "are you thinking of challenging me?"

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 2:58:16 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"Sure, sure." Nothing was off the table at this point, he figured, flashing Noah a smile at the offer. It'd take the edge off, if nothing else. He's left to his thoughts as Noah rummages through his refrigerator looking for the goodies tucked away behind bags of unfinished take out and such.

He's twirling his finger through a lock of his hair as he leans his cheek against the heel of his palm, thinking about some of his latest battles. The most recent one was against Alec, a sort of rival of his.

Too bad they weren't anywhere to be found...

"Tch..." Adrian sits back up before tossing his head back, rolling his eyes momentarily before locking eyes with Noah rather reluctantly.

"Not particularly. I guess you could say it's an eventuality, though..." He liked to assemble a team before every gym battle, to study a gym's obvious weaknesses, and then prepare himself to exploit them as well as provide answers for their niche strengths. Adrian already had an idea of Noah's type, but he wasn't sure he had a team.

He didn't know exactly what sorts of pokemon Noah even kept, aside from Frey, and somehow he doubted its pertinence. "Why ask, though?"

"Or are you tryna get your ass beat?" Adrian's confidence, however queerly abrupt it had been, never escaped him when it came to him and his pokemon. ...Perhaps that's why Howitzer had been such a marring stain on his reputation, as well. Evidence of his vulnerability; proof of weakness.

Things that could ruin a person's very image.
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2020 8:14:54 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 noah's hand finds the cold cans. pulling out two, he sets them on the kitchen counter as the iciness lingers on his palm. closing the door, he refrains from tossing them. he extends one to adrian with a wink, "you wish, buddy."

the gym leader cracks open his can. the satisfying sizzle accompanies a smidgen of froth tossed against the tab.

"could be cathartic though— if you win," noah says, bringing the can to his lips, "oh, wait. cheers, man." he tilts his beverage toward adrian: a challenge in the making.

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2020 23:42:38 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"Cheers," he offered back, tapping his can against theirs before withdrawing in his chair, popping the can and guzzling down gulp after gulp. Settling the can down, he raised his wrist to stifle a burp, before leaning back into the chair, draping his head down the backside. "Cathartic? ...Really?"

Maybe it would be, but he'd a taste for something sweeter. "I'd sooner find the man responsible," he mentions casually as a response, eyes scouring that drab ceiling above him aimlessly. "How's that sound for catharsis?"

Adrian had snapped back up into proper posture, eyes searching Noah with an interest in his response, though he wholly expected to be deterred. Not that it'd affect his decision; in the end, it'd all come down on him, anyhow...

...And he was still deliberating on that idea of revenge; trying to sort out the facts and decide whether what was 'right' was really right for him.
close tab

played by

shiv

the machampion
he/him
July 17
Kanto
pansexual
gym leader
gym leader
kyle lopez
married
5'7" height
5'7" height
awards
1,509 posts
noah faber DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @noah
noah faber
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2020 2:44:59 GMT
noah faber Avatar
 after his can clicks with the other, noah joins in the chorus of glugs. with a satisfied breath, he sets the can on the counter.

adrian's response is vague enough. the gym leader leans in like a magnifying glass; however, the implication shrouds around their feet like red mist.

"i can help you, if you want, man" noah says. "bring it up to slateport pd, make things go faster if i can. unless you mean something else?"

his hand reaches for his can once more.

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,402 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
dog days of summer [c]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2020 7:11:47 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Rolling his eyes, he can't help but make a mockery of the suggestion. "Sure, leave it to them..." His hand waved the can of beer around in a gesture, like he was throwing his skepticism against the very notion. "Because they did such a good job in Slateport before I got roped in..."

Actually, he couldn't be too sure if he hadn't muddled things for them, but he wasn't about to leave these matters to someone else. But as was to be expected, Noah seemed ignorant to his true meaning, or at least feigned it. "Don't trouble yourself, stick to worrying about Rustboro."

That was his charge, if nothing else. He had to make that his priority, act on his own duties.

Staring into that flat, dulling ambrosia, the liquid courage in his can, Adrian realized that he couldn't expect anybody to care like he did. To harbor resentments like he did. To foster malfeasance. Nobody would understand why he needed to kill for it, to get squared with his Arcanine's assailant.

I found them once, I will find them again.

Tipping back his can, Adrian slaked his thirst.