awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
rage, riddles, and resolutions [c]
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2020 20:58:02 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

Vantage’s strategy has all to do with timing.

When Selena read the HNN article about the Littleroot incident, she thought there was something amiss in the way that it was written. The careless comments about and was enough to tell Selena that her hunch had bearing afterall. But it was Kaida and her unexpected resurrection that made her remember the reason why she was still pondering on an event that she already wanted to forget.

Eveything was set on the studio. The script and the cups of coffee and an extra bottle of water, in case her guest rejected the first option, were already on a table beside the host. It was a big day for Vantage to be conducting this interview. While her staff had sweat running down their face, nervousness obviously consuming them from the inside, the chief was calmer than ever. She was in her comfort zone.

Selena sat and waited for to process the questions from her own list. She thought the interviewee needed a head start considering this might be the first time she got interviewed about her predicament. The cameraman called queue and the journalist peeped into the lady’s line of sight. She was patiently waiting for her green light. “Shall we start?”

ooc: lezzgo
close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
You're the pulse in my veins, you're the war that I wage, can you change me?
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2020 23:16:12 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

[attr="class","mthread"][attr="class","league"]

Reflecting back on this, she would have never agreed to this had it not been Selena who had asked. A stranger putting her in a room with a bunch of bright lights for a interview to put as news? It would not have happened, especially after that article. She'd gladly take responsibility for the Sludge Wave...the explosion may have killed the tree anyways, but she wasn't stupid, she could have made it worse, and no stupidity on the part of others would make up for that. The article seemed intent on harming others as well, and she held no liking for Fernando nor did she see the point in trying to please those who seemed determined not to see, but even she felt offense at not one person being praised for an action...only one person truly died, after all. You think they'd be grateful, and wondering who was the enemy. [break][break]

Nonetheless, here she was, looking over questions with a curious eye. A quaint sight for her, to be sure. [break][break]

"I believe I am." Near the stage, Ormr hid outside of sight, emotional support, though distant. She sat up, appearing polite, and nodded, "Ok. Ready." Looking over the questions provided just a little bit of confidence, she could do this well enough. If Selena wanted to hear the truth, then she could give it, best as she remembered.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: Interview start!

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheader]width:350px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.mthread]width:299px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 25px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
THIS REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE A DINNER PARTY
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 3:35:39 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

Selena was banking on the acquiantanceship both of them shared on two separate occassions. While they could not be yet considered the best of friends, the journalist thought there was a mutual understanding of trust between them. Afterall, both instances were quite intense and from how the pink-haired lady sees , she knew the amount of faith she had in her to be even accepting this interview is at least a ceiling high.

The reporter began her usual spiel introducing herself and the program to the camera. She needed to earn the interviewee’s trust so she opted to remove the audience—only allowing her partner, Ormr—for her to feel the most comfortable. Afterwards, she welcomed Kaida into the screen.

. Tell us something about yourself first. You’re a rising elite officer among the rangers, have you always wanted to be one of them? What is your motivation?” As usual, Selena needed a starting point from where she would jump to bigger questions. She just hoped her guest could follow her direction as well.

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 4:18:25 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

Kaida, trying very hard to not look towards the camera or Ormr, sat nearly stock-still, only rigidly taking the bottle of water into her hands. It was more to keep her hands busy, she didn't know if doing anything but talk was appropriate for the interview. [break][break]

She sat through the beginning spiel with patience, composing her face back into a neutral state, she believed looking a little intimidating was better than looking frightened in front of the invisible audience that would surely watch this on TV. She was sitting up, offering a courteous nod to Selena by the time that her introduction came around. She couldn't hear that well over Selena's voice, but she thought she heard a rattle from the "audience". Perhaps the Pokemon was proud his partner was being acknowledged, much like a brother. [break][break]

Having had time to look over some questions, Kaida didn't pause lomg before she answered. "Not immediately, but I saw there was no way for me to do what I wanted without joining...I think that's my motivation too." Her voice relaxed a little, clearly at ease talking about what she knew, "I just wanted to help Pokemon, nothing else, nobody in my way." Her stiff body moved slightly, a shrug to discerning eyes, "They're very important to me, I thought it natural to help them directly." Her eyes flickered to Selena's briefly. Is this good?

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: Interview!

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheader]width:350px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.mthread]width:299px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 25px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 10:42:32 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

The camera was not focused at her for the moment, so Selena did all her best to support with her every word, her eyes speaking of encouragement and validation that she was doing alright.

“I agree. Our region’s rangers embody these virtues of selflessness and servitude and I think these are the values that Miss Adachi really stands for.” The reporter was now looking over the camera, communicating with an audience that was signals away from her studio. “No doubt do I say Miss Adachi here is really passionate about her duties. In fact, I’ve been with her in one instance where we tried to save golbats from a burning cave.” Now, she turned to the her again. “Remember that?”

Selena skimmed through her pile of questions before proceeding to what will up the notch of her game. “Going back, is this also the particular reason why you found yourself in the Littleroot Beauty Contest? Can you tell us about how that day started?”

Selena now grasped her cup of coffee. This was scheduled to be a one-hour interview only but she knew this might take and feel longer than what she expected.

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 19:43:29 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

Selfless? Kaida tried to not frown. Maybe from the outside, it seemed that way, but she had just said she only wanted to help Pokemon, correct? She held her tongue, though. Selena seemed relaxed, so it seemed to be going well. If being called all these kind things meant those watching thought she was credible, it was fine. [break][break]

"Yes, its where we met. I wasn't expecting a civilian to...help." It was a rather depressing memory, but she felt she and Selena had dome their best to help the Pokemon, "It was a little early in my duties, putting out a fire like that would be easier now...I'd be sure not to let them suffer." Even with better water-types, perhaps it was naive to think she'd save every little one, but she supposed she'd find out next time such a situation arose. [break][break]

And then there is was, the dreaded Littleroot incident. The fire was bad, but salvageable. This was a disaster. [break][break]

"I heard of the tree when it grew, I think everyone did." A marvel like that tree wasn't something that was just ignored. Now, a frown truly made itself known, an almost scowl, "Then they built a building for it and I felt I needed to protect it...even just a tree can be helpful to the environment." She suspected it wasn't just a tree, but that wasn't the point. Her fingers dug into the water bottle, this did not feel like talking to one person. "I had no tasks to fulfil, I just felt it was easy to harm by anyone who wanted to...I didn't think I would be so right." So right that they even failed.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 20:45:28 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

The reporter tried her best to respond to Kaida’s every word. Every nod, every eye contact was intended to reassure her that even if there were people who would speak ill about her actions, she could find a friend in the pink-haired lady. But the tension that gave way to open the subject about the tree was not something Selena would let slip by.

“That’s true. The news about the tree wasn’t entirely a secret. In fact, coordinators celebrated its marvel by organizing a pokémon contest.” Her eyes were shifting to the cameras and her interviewee, like a tennis ball catalpulting from one aide to another. “But you said something about the tree being ‘easy to harm’. Vulnerable, in other words, to those ‘who’ might want to try.” She put clear emphases in some of her words.

“Do you have any idea who these people are? And in the end, do you think they’re the ones who mutilated the tree?”

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2020 21:57:42 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

"It seemed very easy." Kaida repeated seriously, jaw clenched, "Multiple floors, few guards, and something loud happening on top...not a single person heard us or saw until the tree fell. I think it was too easy for anybody who wanted to." She let some of her opinions die in her throat. That the guards weren't competent, that the contest shouldn't have happened near the tree, all of those were opinions she hoped were common sense. [break][break]

She stopped slightly at Selena's next question, shaking her head, "I have no idea who the "who" was. Just that, before I even attempted to pass, there were already multiple people moving ahead of me, not any League I knew...I couldn't tell you who those people were." Her memories of the event were fresh, she doubted such a significant event in her life would ever fade in entirety, "But," Her eyes hardened, a steel raising in her voice, "There were many traps in our way, left by the ones that moved first. My Pokemon and I, we were very hurt." As if counting, she flicked up her fingers, "Cut, stuck, breathing in poisonous smoke, I didn't even get to the bottom of the tree...I don't doubt whoever was trying to stop everyone were the ones who destroyed the tree, because they got there first and, soon, there was an explosion." Why it was even a question, she had no idea, but the truth of a participant was out.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2020 18:42:41 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

“I’m sorry you have to experience that.” Although Selena’s words were real and sincere, she did not have the urge to expound her feelings further. She was with Kaida the whole time the event happened, hearing ’s unwavering wails at her death, the traps that hurt and injured her did Selena the same. And even if it was the white-haired lady that bore the brunt of it, she was not the one who had someone died by her hands—and never returned. “Speaking of these infiltrators, do you think the organizers have something to do with the destruction of the tree itself?”

She did meant this as a speculation, but a resonating voice of reason that others did not want to consider possible.

“I know you said it’s easy to enter the actual basement, though I didn’t think it’s also easy from the outside.” Selena held her gaze firmer. “Do you think the reason why some people were ahead of you was because they already knew the place before you even get there? Is it possible they they worked with the organizers themselves?”

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2020 20:20:13 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

Kaida listened intently, unwilling herself to show much feeling. Perhaps talking to a single person, but not this invisible audience she knew she had. [break][break]

As Selena talked, Kaida's eyes widened slightly, a perspective she haven't even thought to try and explain why they were already ahead of her. "Yes!" The sudden realization raised Kaida's voice, "That would make sense, they moved and were gone before we even figured out how to get down!" She didn't pause long, but looked down at her water bottle she held, "Why wasn't that mentioned, there were many people down there, and only certain people were mentioned..."

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2020 20:02:55 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

“I totally agree. And what actually bothers me the most is when they decided to leave out one crucial information in the investigation.”

A hologram of a familiar insigna floated between them, the pride of Macros Cosmos.

“People who attended the event heard Contest Judge Cooper Armstrong said the tree was being investigated by the Macros Cosmos.” Eyes volleying from the camera to Kaida, Selena could feel the excitement running through her veins. She totally missed this feeling. “I believe the corporation hasn’t yet recovered from the backlash of the Blades & Bulwarks incident, and now this.”

The hologram faded into the void but with a haunting afterimage. “People have reasons to believe why the HNN writer did not explicitly state their connection to the tree. This isn’t the first time they have been put on the hot seat for their negligence.”

The reporter leaned back from her seat and stacked her pile of questionnaires. “Do you think the League should probe on MC’s businesses in Hoenn? Do you think they are guilty for the happenings that transpired in the contest that day?”

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2020 22:12:10 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

"The people from the computer game?" Kaidas voice rose in confusion, so an incompetent in something not so important was put in charge of something important. Why? "I saw them before...the leak didn't bother me, but I heard lots of people hated it." It was understandable, if she had a real home, she didn't want people knowing all about it. "So they messed up again, hmph." Her snort was laced with all kinds of feelings. A bitter feeling of lack of surprise, of an anger that found it easy to root in her voice. [break][break]

She barked out some mixture of a laugh and snarl at Selena's last questions. "If we are blaming everyone, why not check on them? If it was their job to investigate and protect it, they needed to do it right." Rather ridiculous to blame those who arrived by luck or outside intention, when there was perfectly good suspicion on the inside.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 19:39:28 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

Selena shared the sneer and the snarl of the interviewee. “My sentiments, exactly.”

With the lack of audience to give her instant feedback, the reporter felt she was left in the dark not until Calliope, her gardevoir who was watching the producers and the staff perform backstage, assured her with a nod. The part about giving a face to the source of the problem was difficult but relatively easy for the questions that will come.

“Let’s talk about the incident that happened at the basement.” Selena took another sip. “Witnesses talked about seeing a ‘blacephalon’ in the crime scene—it’s what researchers named the clown creature that appeared in the Slateport mayhem months ago where dozens of civilians and pokémons were killed and injured. Have you seen it personally? Did you see where it came from?”

close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 20:15:22 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

"I heard of the creature, saw what it did at least." Slateport had needed much help for longer than she thought possible. Many Pokemon wouldn't cause the same level of destruction. What abilities did one have to do all that? "Very scary creature...the explosion that happened was more powerful than most Pokemon I know...must have been it, but I didn't see it. I...never got there." Not only that, but she was already killed during the escape. [break][break]

"The explosion happened later, not immediately." She thought a moment, trying to seperate adrenaline from reality, "At least a few minutes...so it must have arrived a little later, it needed only a second to destroy the tree, after all." She shrugged, "I heard monsters like that come out of portals, so perhaps it arrived then. A little strange, or...convenient. It had the same goal as those people, because it did nothing else afterwards...the tree fell, and that monster didn't destroy more? Why didn't it just destroy Littleroot?" Those monsters didn't follow logic, why did it work together with the human enemies, like an ally?

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 18:17:46 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

“Well, the people appreciated it more that the blacephalon chose to spare Littleroot.” Selena humored the otherwise serious conversation, saving a possible backlash if tabloids and other news source decided to nitpick on Kaida’s thoughtful inquiry. “I agree with your comment, though. The arrival of the beast was very convenient. Almost as if it was controlled like a normal pokémon, wouldn’t you agree?”

Newscasts like these, Selena knew it was necessary to play along with the people’s speculation to engage more potential allies and enemies. Only then will they begin talking about the issue and start doing action. Sitting straight, she addressed the invisible audience again with her hypothesis on the connection of Slateport and Littleroot incidents.

“It seems the mystery of the Slateport killer sheds its veil once more. From the incident six months ago, there is an understanding that the blacephalon was perverse: killing and destroying everything on sight. But now, on Littleroot, it was as if the creature was working on a specific objective, almost like ‘controlled by a trainer,’” Selena emphasized her air quotes. “There are rumors after its mysterious disappearance in Slateport saying it was captured, even though ordinary pokéballs do not work on their kind. But now it looks like the hearsays through the grapevine are true.”

She returned her attention to Kaida. “A while ago, you were saying you never got the chance to see it. But you we’re there.” Selena paused, looking at her interviewee with a cautious gaze, saying “this is it.” “How is that possible? Is this related to your... you know, unexpected comeback?”