thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 3, 2021 11:16:04 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Their new 'ally', if one could use such a term for , was teleported directly into the chaos of the medical bay following the events at Route 113. It had been a risk not lightly taken.

A soft pop announces the Claydol's departure, and Adrian would have several seconds to reflect upon the scene before the psychic-type returned with Gavin and Bryan in tow. Space is needed for Rocket personnel to work on Eris, and those not necessary for the procedure are shooed away. Not ignorant to the fact that Adrian would have little idea where he was or where he should go, Gavin attempts to catch his attention first with glance and then with a cleared throat should that not prove sufficient.

"We can talk somewhere less crowded."

He'd suggest his office, but that might give a more imposing impression than he was going for. There hadn't been time for any sort of consent forms in the midst of battle and it's not like he'd been given any warning about where Gavin was offering to teleport him. With this knowledge in mind, he beckons Adrian toward a vacant part of the wing.

This part of the medical bay was in the process of being properly prepared in the aftermath of Genesect's attack; their patch job held, but no one wanted to put the wounded at unnecessary risk. For those who didn't know of the incident, these rooms looked no different from the other.

"How did you know who I was?" In the safety of HQ, he sounds more curious than accusatory. "Back there. You called me 'Gavin'."
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 9:38:14 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"...Sure." Where were they?

Adrian had translocated with Gavin after the fallout between Yveltal and the corrupted Lugia. An adolescent had been injured in the incident, though by what methods he was unsure as the personnel beginning to pour into the room began ushering them away, though they seemed distant with Gavin. Naturally he followed after them to that quaint little corner of the Rocket HQ, which might've been impressive if not for the obvious patch job.

Either way, it would have to do.

Adrian scowled at Gavin's pointed question, wrapping his offhand around the opposing wrist nervously, as if he were stalling. But he couldn't really get around it, not when Gavin had never really given him a proper name to call him by.

Well, might as well rip the bandage off...

"That thing," Adrian begins in earnest. "The pokemon that attacked us. The one I tried to warn you about, before you idiots tried to hack up that tree..." He wasn't exactly sympathetic to their research, so whatever harebrained agenda they were playing at, Adrian was hardly willing to justify the sheer recklessness. "I've encountered it before."

Heavy, exasperated sighs roll off his lips in a series as he tries to surrender a preciously guarded secret. "When I went to lay Howitzer to rest... It had already arisen, and it called on us... Myself, others..." His voice begins to trail off before he grounds himself. "It granted us the power... to see the truth of things." That was one way to put it.

Adrian stared at him blankly, expecting Gavin to be at least slightly taken aback at the lighthearted admission. It wasn't every day someone admitted they were an avatar.

"Like that girl back there..."

Adrian tries to inspire some good faith in Gavin, for what it's worth: "She's going to live. If she wasn't going to make it, I would have seen it in her, uh, aura. And you..."

He spoke nothing, but the arc of his brow and the glint in his eyes helped Gavin to infer the implication.
This oughtta do it
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 10:06:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"'That tree' was our mission objective, and I obey orders." His voice is curt, cold with residual anger not directed at his guest. "Your warning was appreciated nevertheless."

He allows to continue from there without interruption. Even as they idle in the relative calm of this disused wing, miasma leaks through Gavin's steady breath like dark omen. It swirls around the underboss of its own accord.

"So you are its avatar."

He does not seem alarmed at the reveal; there had been time to process shock during the fight. Now, the aftermath. Reaction comes, instead, in a whoosh of breath as he sighs. She was going to live. He closes red eyes for a beat, then opens them again.

"Good," he says, then, "And I am Lugia's chosen, as I'm sure you've inferred. I do hope you'd tell me if you've seen my death."
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 10:19:59 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Rolling his eyes at their mission and Gavin's spouting of loyalties, he can't help but wonder whether it's worth the trouble they went through. At some point, he just might have to approach Gavin about the nature of their desire for possession of the tree. But before that...

He squirms under the weight of Gavin's presence when the word avatar oozes from his mouth. If there was anybody he didn't want knowing, the crook he owed a favor probably should've ranked higher than it had at first.

Well, fuck. Fuck...

Their next question is amusing and straightforward, though he can hardly blame Gavin for not understanding the dynamic of his gift. "No, it's not prophetic—"

Rattling his head, Adrian clarifies: "I can detect aura. Aura is—your identity. As for your name..." Now that he thought about it, Adrian realized, he shouldn't have known.

Unless maybe...

"...Might Empirio have known it?" Yveltal had bound them all to its service, and in so doing created a sort of hivemind. Having thusly created a network of shared knowledge for itself that it hoarded even now, which Adrian and Thomas were sometimes selectively privy to, it might explain the phenomenon which had garnered notice.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 11:21:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I was joking." Gavin's deadpan, serious tone does not change even with the admission. "Thank you for the clarification."

It was an interesting power, and one that makes his skin crawl as he realizes the implication of earlier words. 'Myself, others...' Gavin knew, through Darkrai's shared blessing between Walsh and , that avatarship was not always exclusive.

Resignation deepens at Empirio's name.

"Yes, he knew the name as any in Rocket should." His lip curls. "Unfortunate. How many others know?"
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 4:14:11 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"As far as I know? Just me..." All of their experiences had been unique, and so were the boons Yveltal chose to bestow on his select few. And the information made available to them wasn't so easily recollected.

"Most of those who answered the first summons were not present for its last." It was the truth.

Adrian wasn't sure what happened to some of them, as their links had faded with the separation, thus clouding their awareness. Some might've failed or worse, though many, he presumed, were simply fed up with such an unwieldy patron. "Now... about that thing you set loose..."

"How did you force its cooperation like that?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 13:11:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As far as he knows. A dissatisfied grumble rises in Gavin's throat.

His relatively relaxed demeanor shifts the moment Lugia is mentioned; the affront that spreads through his thoughts is not entirely his own, the slumbering legend infuriated by such dismissive words. Outrage sparks at the word force, and Gavin's lips purse.

I know, he attempts to soothe, but he doesn't—

"That thing is Lugia, Guardian of the Seas — and it is my partner, not my slave." The red of his eyes matches that of the corrupt legend, and they burn with its same malevolence for a beat before Gavin regains his calm. When he blinks, the fury seems to quell. "But if you seek to subjugate Yveltal's will, there may be options."

He pulls out the ball in which Lugia chose to slumber. A dark blue ball patterned with lighter web, four strong yellow bands gripping it like claws.

"Prior to our partnership, this was the only thing stopping Lugia from killing us all."
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 20:47:57 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Adrian would've liked to have reached out for it, snatched it for himself, but he thought better of it. But Gavin would see the fixation in his eyes at the bizarre pokeball held out in his palm. "Really?" A specialized pokeball was all it took?

His skepticism blended with the look of wonder, but he made no move or mention otherwise. What Gavin afforded to tell him would be all he knew, and nothing else, though he felt as always that Gavin was withholding. "Interesting."

Adrian's not entirely convinced it would work on an aspect such as Yveltal, and it would require locating the reclusive beast as well. Short of its roost upon Mt. Pyre, Adrian wasn't sure where it had skulked off to after Route 113.

His eyes went keen on the word partnership.

Partnership... such an ugly concept when held against Yveltal, the bane of creation. He'd almost rather die.

But then, that sword cut both ways...
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 23:38:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"It's known as a Beast Ball; they're meant to contain alien lifeforms."

The Ultra Beasts, he means, but he gives the benefit of the doubt in assuming he'll know. Lugia was not such a Beast, but Gavin theorized its connection to Nihilego through the poison allowed the capsule to function.

Or, perhaps it was capable of containing any powerful entity...?

"Perhaps it could do more, but you'd need to ask our scientists."

There's a distant ache for a life he could've had, but it's gone as quick as it had come.

Gavin tugs gloves coated in blood and ash from his hands, sets them on an empty surface. Shifting, he holds out the ball in the palm of his hand, an offering for Adrian to pick it up and inspect it further, should he wish. It's heavier than an average capsule, cool against exposed skin. There's no worry for Lugia's safety; the legend is bound to him, now, its would-be prison now only a formality.
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 0:40:44 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Adrian reaches out and takes it from Gavin's palm, noticing immediately the vastly disproportionate weight to a commercial pokeball. Hardly the lightweight and compact design the League distributed, this was something more uniquely tailored to the task of subduing the worst of monsters. Things that made grown men lie awake at night.

"I'm not sure I should," Adrian mutters while placing it back into Gavin's outstretched hand, grazing their fingers with his own in the exchange and thinking nothing of it.

That entailed staying much longer, and he would already be searching for a door or exit, signs of their location. But he kept coming up empty. Just where were they?
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 15, 2021 2:58:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin angles his palm to accept the ball—

(—it's the lightest of touches, barely a graze, but it's enough—)

—and drops it, instead, slumping forward momentarily as darkness closes on the edge of his vision and he nearly passes out.

He catches himself on his knees, glad to be sitting down, blinking rapidly with muted alarm as he struggles to figure out what had happened. It's reminiscent of how he'd felt the times he'd nearly bled out after a rough fight, ringing in his ears and 's voice too distant for how close they sat.

Lugia's telepathic voice returns him to clarity, rumbling like thunder through his thoughts. This one would seek to drain your life.

Its anger surges through him, reinvigorates a small amount.

Gavin stares daggers at his now unwelcome guest.

"What did you just do?"
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 15, 2021 21:27:33 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Everything was going great... until it wasn't. Gavin's tonal shift was overt, and Adrian could smell trouble brewing from that look of disdain he began to wear.

A single brow arches in response.

"I put the ball in your hand. The fuck are you on about?" Adrian hated bipolar disorders, and if Gavin was about to go on a streak, he wasn't for it. But he couldn't leave.

"Don't get all jumpy on me now." He tried to deescalate the situation, motioning a hand emphatically to stymie their aggression long enough to ask for an explanation.

"What's gotten into you all of a sudden?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 21:49:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Nausea rises in his throat, and Gavin has to close his eyes to stem vertigo. He feels weak, heavy, like he can't support his own weight. He doesn't open them again until the ringing subsides.

's confusion seems genuine, but Gavin is not one for trust.

"You touched me," he forces, stiff, "and you did — something. What?"

From the ocean beyond, a low cry echoes. Though warped by corruption, it's otherwise not unlike the song of Wailord from the deep. Lugia's fury makes itself known, but its anger can only invigorate so much.

"Is that Yveltal's boon?"
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 21, 2021 9:32:17 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

Casting a doubtful look at Gavin, he averted his gaze to the point of contact: Gavin's aura appeared largely intact, and virtually unchanged asides from being muddled by Lugia's influence. It was that same ugly color that Yveltal held such contempt for, and—it was spreading along his own fingers, eroding his own aura. That alone was worrisome.

Gavin would notice him sitting upright in his chair as he stared at his own fingers, which to Gavin would seem an insignificant ordeal. But it offered validity to the accusation.

I did that... without even trying to?

No. There was a time, back before the war, it was not so entirely unlike now. A patient whose aura had faded... he'd snuffed them out, but that had been through Yveltal's explicit intervention. Now it was happening involuntarily...?

"...It guess it was." Meaning it wasn't his call.

Adrian didn't pretend to understand what was going on, waving his hand frantically as if to dispel the strange shade permeating his fingers. The lingering corruption quickly starved without further supply, and his aura corrected itself. But the revelation was at least mildly alarming.

Even so he'd yet to realize the depth and implication of this development, thinking only of the moment. "...I'm not exactly practiced in... whatever you call this," Adrian gestures towards Gavin and himself, his hand. "Alright?"

He felt vulnerable under such scrutiny, but honesty had availed him thus far, and would continue to serve him well.

Or so he would've liked to believe. "That's kinda why I came along with you to... wherever the Hell we are," he motions towards the hull with pointed exasperation.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 21, 2021 10:15:50 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's the way stares in apparent horror at his own hands, unmarred from Gavin's perspective, that lends credence to his ignorance. He shakes his fingers as if attempting to dispel some foul contamination, and Gavin scoffs.

"I don't have a disease."

He seems more exasperated than offended, settling back into his chair and examining his own hands. Whole, healthy, though with a tremor in his fingers.

"All right," he accepts. Then, "You're in Rocket's HQ. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything more, not until we've worked out a few details. We may be able to help with your... situation, but this isn't the kind of help we'd offer for free."

He lets the implication settle on its own.

"You already know my name, so there's no point in being coy. I am one of Rocket's underbosses. And I do work in recruitment."

He hadn't lied.