Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 4:17:39 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"You're not normal, though," he quipped sharply.

It was mutual; and while Gavin's condition was seemingly spurred on by the same mechanism as the Ultra Beast's corrupting agents, it was clear to some degree that they were not the ones pulling the underboss' strings.

Yet that didn't make his motives anymore innocent.

"Right..." They'd been around this block before, and Adrian was still just as unwilling to wear the colors now as he was then. Some commitments a man just couldn't be expected to keep for life. "...What is it you're hoping for out of me?"

Adrian wore a reluctant look while trying to get his foot in the door with Gavin. While it went against everything he believed in to join Team Rocket... This burden simply wasn't something he could take to the League.

There were things he would be uncompromising on... and the rest was for Gavin to discover, if he could.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 23, 2021 10:02:03 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"No, I suppose I'm not."

Sensing 's continued reservations, Gavin opts to speak plain.

"I scouted you because you're a powerful trainer with questionable morals and Rocket's looking for soldiers. I had no idea you were also an avatar." It was fortunate, else he might've been expected to lead Adrian into a trap. MAGMA sought test subjects. "Rocket wants loyalty, obedience."

Once, they'd demanded blood. A small scar on Gavin's index finger ensures he will never forget the price he'd paid.

"Protect Rocket and we'll protect you. Betray us and we'll kill you." He flicks his wrist dismissively. "I'm sure you get the idea."

"You've got reservations, though. Voice them. Better now than when it's too late."

Casual though the words were, the meaning behind them is implicit.

This was a choice meant to be final.
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 26, 2021 8:34:32 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
Then he would speak plainly.

"I'm not one of you, I doubt I will ever truly be one of you... but I owe you, big time. And... you're right," his moral fiber was lacking in some departments. "I'm no saint."

That didn't make him a criminal killer, though. It wouldn't make him some seditionist overnight. He was good.

Or at least, that's what he told himself.

The scowl he wears begins to set in his features, leaving Adrian unlike himself. "Tit for tat..."

He knits his brow as he fixates on his interlaced hands, before resting his chin upon them. "If you've got the work, great. If you wanna treat it like a contract..."

"...Then we'll need to set some terms."

Adrian knows what these seedy organizations are like. Once they let you in, there's usually one way out; everything short of that is a temporary lie. So he knows what he's asking likely seems petulant or naïve to the underboss.

But his amicable cooperation wasn't without its merits.

"But if you think you own me or something... you've got a lot of nerve," he spits out, fuming. As if he needs a second demon perched upon his shoulder, cooing sweet little sins into his ears, nudging him along an irredeemable path.

If it's a choice of one cage or the other...

He'd rather not choose either at all. Adrian could only hope that the underboss could understand his grim outlook.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 27, 2021 5:51:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Terms.

It does seem naive, but Gavin can empathize with 's stubbornness. He'd thought he might be allowed to set terms, once. That Rocket would let him be so long as he followed their orders and conducted his research for their benefit. It's why in this delicate dance of recruitment, he is careful to be frank.

"I'm afraid I'm not the one who has the final say. I've named Rocket's price. Anything more is beyond me."

There's someone above me, Gavin had told him. Underboss described enough on its own. He thinks of . We own you. Your time is our time.

"Rocket is a commitment you don't back out of once you've got what you're after. See, by then, you'd know too much..."
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 29, 2021 0:53:15 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

Then there would always be Hell to pay later on.

His tongue would betray him here if he misspoke, so he holds it, allowing only a tense brow to display the malcontent. "Guess that's to be expected." Adrian doesn't exactly give his assent, but they've got him cornered in an alien environment. It all kept him on his toes, refused to offer him a moment of comfort. Such a great workplace environment to find oneself in.

Yet it wasn't the first time he'd been approached to carry out greater crimes by an entity with questionable judgement... he was confident he would handle himself well, whatever the outcome.

And so he'd resign to their designs in passivity, dipping his head and closing his eyes in deep thought.

"So what comes next? Is there going to be an orientation?" He shook his head in mock disbelief.
close tab

played by

arti

Sera
Feminine
November 16th
Jubilife City
Bisexual
--
Former Beast
You don't wanna see me bratty~
awards
595 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sailorarti
Serena Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON May 29, 2021 21:13:24 GMT
Serena Malcolm Avatar
[googlefont=Lato:300|Playfair+Display]
[attr="class","hearmenand11"]
[attr="class","hearmenand33"]
Serena's Outfit
[attr="class","hearmenand22"]Serena stared at her phone as she weaved her way through the halls of Rocket's submarine vessel. Her fingers were cold and instead of her usual light hearted expression that she wore, she was deadly serious. She might've even looked pale. The reason she was in such a state was because Gavin had texted her letting her know her brother, of all people, was onboard this vessel.

She knew back from the moment she met up with them at the festival that Gavin had his sights set on Adrian but she was nowhere near ready to deal with something as big as this. She'd kept it a secret from Adrian that she was involved with Rocket for so long. What would he think when he saw her? Did she have to see him in the first place?

Of course she did. That wasn't really up for debate. He might feel betrayed and she wasn't prepared for the the consequences of him feeling that way. With a heavy sigh Serena quickly made her way to the medical bay. She couldn't run from this anymore so she just needed to face this head on.

She managed to slip into the room quietly and catch the part of her brother's conversation with Gavin. "So what comes next? Is there going to be an orientation?" His tone was sarcastic as ever and she had to repress a sigh. Clenching her hands into fists Serena worked up the courage to round the corner and make contact with her mentor and her brother. "No, you get a welcome package first. A t-shirt and some brownies." she answered sarcastically as well as she locked gazes with Adrian. "Hey."

---

-- | xtra notes: +

F*CK A PRINCESS,
i ' m - a - k i n g .
dandy ♫

[newclass=.hearmenand11]float:left;margin-top:-25px;background-image:url(https://images2.imgbox.com/60/9a/0PbdCvTn_o.png);width:250px;height:450px;-webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 0, 0 100%, 75% 100%, 100% 50%, 75% 0);clip-path: polygon(0 0, 0 100%, 75% 100%, 100% 50%, 75% 0);[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22]margin-left:12px;width:230px;height:355px;overflow:auto;padding-right:8px;text-align:justify;font:9px Verdana;color:#EEE;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar]width:5px!important;background-color:#999!important;border:0px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb]width:5px!important;background-color:#fef5bd!important;border:0px;important;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar-track]border-left:2px solid #131313;border-right:2px solid #131313;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand33]z-index:10;position:relative;float:left;margin-top:363px;margin-left:-240px;opacity:0;background-color:rgba(25,25,25,0.8);width:150px;padding:10px;transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-webkit-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-moz-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;[/newclass][newclass=div:hover .hearmenand33]opacity:1;transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-webkit-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-moz-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 19:17:26 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

...Why do I hear Serena? He gave himself whiplash just to catch the glimpse of her from over his shoulders, seated with his back to the doorway. Craning his neck, he sees:

It was her. Pale and unwell, forcing up the words to try and act like nothing was different. Why...

Adrian didn't want to look at her, turning his back.

This had not been her calling. Were she left to her own devices, Serena wasn't the sort of person to fall into this line of work. But had she been coerced...

That would have been the only way.

Because he had never known her to be cruel.

But he knew now she was in on it, though how much he couldn't say. It brought her intentions coming to Hoenn under intense scrutiny. She'd lived under his roof all this time, a fugitive at the employ of Team Rocket...

With everything on his mind, he hasn't the words to convey the malcontent except through the eyes. The windows to the soul, they betray his building suspicion and ire, though he seems to stare through Gavin for a thousand yards.

Adrian couldn't really blame her. Or wouldn't.

He quickly blamed the suit sitting in front of him.

What was Gavin playing at, bringing her in now?

Was she supposed to make him feel better, or...

Was it a threat on her being if he didn't...?

Through all the conjecture, he is silent and still.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 12:34:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
's arrival is well-timed; he'd messaged her some time earlier, giving her the option to intervene should she so wish.

She looks — off, he notes, but doesn't comment. He'd been equally ill at ease when had first taken with Rocket. He offers a tight smile.

"Hello, Serena."

seems to shut down, suspicion and mistrust brewing in a thousand-yard stare. This, too, is expected.

"This isn't a game," he ventures, guessing at suspicions. "Nor is it a threat. You can speak, you know. Ask questions."

He's far from an open book, but he owes Adrian some degree of honesty.
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 23:52:55 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
He hangs his head low, stewing on a response.

"You've already told me enough," he responds coolly, though withholding for a moment.

"But you don't exactly inspire loyalty."

His tone was critical and demeaning. Being forced into something like this, for presumably the rest of one's life... did it truly differ from imprisonment fundamentally? Could he ever call himself free under their banner?

"You're just like it, in the end," Adrian eases back into his seat, glowering at Gavin while likening him to Yveltal.

Demanding this, expecting that... It was all too much. Eventually he would tire of it all as he already had.
close tab

played by

arti

Sera
Feminine
November 16th
Jubilife City
Bisexual
--
Former Beast
awards
595 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sailorarti
Serena Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 0:34:37 GMT
Serena Malcolm Avatar
Serena's Outfit
[attr="class","hearmenand22"]She watched as his body tensed at the sound of her voice. He quickly jerked around in his seat to see if what he was hearing was true. Serena gave him a somber smile in response. Unfortunately, older brother, this wasn't a dream. He handled it all about as well as she figured he would. After all, she would like to think she knew her brother pretty well at this point.

Still, it didn't hurt her any less when he turned his back on her. She cast her gaze down on her feet and she clenched her hands into fists. She didn't want him to find out this way. Perhaps she didn't want him to find out at all. Did he hate her now? Would they be able to talk and laugh like they used to? Serena felt a lump rise in her throat.

As much as she believed in what she was doing here, no matter her previous reasons for joining, there were good people here. People that wanted to make the world a better place in a way she agreed with more than what the League offered. But did she want to lose her brother because of this? No. The answer would always be no.

She felt like she was going to faint. Her palms were clammy and her chest was tightening. She swayed on her feet but she still held her ground, at least for this moment. Gavin greets her but she can't look her mentor in the eye. All she can do is stare at her feet while the tension in the air grows so thick should could cut it with a knife.

"This isn't a game," Gavin breaks the deafening silence, "Nor is it a threat. You can speak, you know. Ask questions." Serena wasn't sure she was ready to hear what Adrian had to say though. "You've already told me enough," Adrian snaps and Serena seems to shrink in her corner. Far from the woman that used to exude confidence as she roamed the halls of this sub.

"But you don't exactly inspire loyalty." This was true, lying often didn't make people trust you. She knew this but she had decided this was the best course of action regardless. And now she was paying for it. "You're just like it, in the end," he practically spat. Serena wasn't sure what he was referencing but she was beginning to feel sick to her stomach.

"I..." she began, speaking up quietly, "I meant to tell you..." she paused as she tried searching for the words, "I wanted to tell you but I--" she trailed off as she looked at Adrian who still had his back turned to her. She felt small, much like how she used to when her father would yell at her for messing up. She clutched at the collar of her shirt. She couldn't breathe. "I'm sorry..." she breathed. It was all she could manage.

---

F*CK A PRINCESS,
i ' m - a - k i n g .
dandy ♫

[newclass=.hearmenand11]float:left;margin-top:-25px;background-image:url(https://images2.imgbox.com/60/9a/0PbdCvTn_o.png);width:250px;height:450px;-webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 0, 0 100%, 75% 100%, 100% 50%, 75% 0);clip-path: polygon(0 0, 0 100%, 75% 100%, 100% 50%, 75% 0);[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22]margin-left:12px;width:230px;height:355px;overflow:auto;padding-right:8px;text-align:justify;font:9px Verdana;color:#EEE;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar]width:5px!important;background-color:#999!important;border:0px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb]width:5px!important;background-color:#fef5bd!important;border:0px;important;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand22::-webkit-scrollbar-track]border-left:2px solid #131313;border-right:2px solid #131313;[/newclass][newclass=.hearmenand33]z-index:10;position:relative;float:left;margin-top:363px;margin-left:-240px;opacity:0;background-color:rgba(25,25,25,0.8);width:150px;padding:10px;transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-webkit-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-moz-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;[/newclass][newclass=div:hover .hearmenand33]opacity:1;transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-webkit-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;-moz-transition:ease-in-out 800ms;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 9:38:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin lifts a brow as he's likened to Yveltal.

"Am I? I've expressed a willingness to help you. Have helped you, in fact. With Saiga, and our other deal."

He chooses his words carefully so as not to out 's brief stint in jail should be unaware of it.

"And now Rocket is offering assistance with it. You chose to come here. Chose to stay, even after I'd laid out our terms."

Serena speaks up, then, and Gavin shifts his amber gaze toward her. After a pause, he looks away, offering her the chance to find her words without the intensity of his stare.

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 1:50:49 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
"Serena, this isn't about you—" Yet it wasn't entirely not about her, either, was it now?

But he couldn't leave Gavin's remark uncontested.

"You gave me a name; everything else I might've already known," he's quick to interject. That Empirio was with Rocket had been his first lead. Who else would go so far for crime?

It explained how he vanished with seeming ease. But now Gavin begins picking at scabs, poking around a topic he doesn't want Serena to hear, or anyone else that couldn't see he was coerced.

"And as far as... that... anyone would be perturbed, trading their life for something that took fifty fuckin' minutes..." His exasperation caught up with him as he spoke with disdain, forcing the words as he ran out of air. The terms were rigged from the start; Gavin needn't shy from that behind the pretense of free will.

This was their way from days past to present; why should he be surprised? As Gavin so sincerely insisted, he'd come along with it voluntarily.

Voluntarily.

Nothing about anything he'd done the past year had been voluntary. It was done out of necessity, the byproducts of his affiliation with such seedy entities. The end result of existing within this land steeped in misfortune. There was no choice, no free will with any of it, the notion absurd.

Just wasn't right to be bound for life, whether by preternatural entities or crime syndicates.

It's a complex sensation, these myriad feelings welling up within him before he bursts:

"It was the ONLY choice!"

Gavin couldn't have been fool enough not to see.
close tab

played by

arti

Sera
Feminine
November 16th
Jubilife City
Bisexual
--
Former Beast
awards
595 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sailorarti
Serena Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jun 29, 2021 16:13:45 GMT
Serena Malcolm Avatar
Serena's Outfit
[attr="class","hearmenand22"]"Am I? I've expressed a willingness to help you. Have helped you, in fact. With Saiga, and our other deal." Gavin replied and Serena kept her head low. There were things they talked about that she had no idea about. It was to be expected though, even siblings kept their secrets. But Serena could help in the back of her mind but feel if her secrets had to come to light, his should too. "And now Rocket is offering assistance with it. You chose to come here. Chose to stay, even after I'd laid out our terms."

That was what Gavin had say before she interrupted and said her piece. Her fingers dug deeper into her palms. What were they talking about? It only made her feel more awkward standing here listening to something she felt like she shouldn't. "Serena, this isn't about you—" Adrian snaps and any attempt at further words leaves her lips and is instead replaced by a giant lump in her throat. She frowned as she stared down at her feet. That was that was it? Nothing more? Speak when spoken to? Should she go to her room and think about what she's done? It was scary how similar he was to their father when angry. But she didn't dare tell him so lest she desire to incur more of his wrath.

"You gave me a name; everything else I might've already known," Adrian quickly retorts, practically ignoring Serena and going right back to his argument with Gavin. "And as far as... that... anyone would be perturbed, trading their life for something that took fifty fuckin' minutes..." she could tell just how aggravated he was without even looking at him. His tone said it all. But the longer Serena stood in silence the more her emotions washed over her.

Don't misunderstand, she felt guilty for lying to Adrian but she also was annoyed that she was being left out of something, that seemed rather important gauging how both Gavin and Adrian were keeping things hushed. Tensions were high in the room and they had no hope of getting better, not when Adrian was heated like this. "It was the ONLY choice!" he yelled back at Gavin.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Serena finally snapped. Her heart felt tight in her chest and she already felt sick like she was going to pass out or throw up or both. All the yelling and snappy comments and attitudes. She thought she was summoned here just to pull the trigger and let Adrian know the truth. But apparently there was more than meets the eye here. "The both of you." she said as she turned her glare towards her mentor.

Serena felt herself sway and she placed her hand on the wall to steady herself. To say being in this situation without knowing anything was stressful would be an understatement. She was sure Adrian felt the same. But she wasn't about to sit around and be sent to a timeout corner because he couldn't handle the truth. And she certainly wasn't just going to remain silent while they pretended she wasn't here. She came here prepared to deal with the consequences of her secret, not listen to Gavin and Adrian bicker about their own. Of course, she was going to ask questions.

---

F*CK A PRINCESS,
i ' m - a - k i n g .
dandy ♫

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 13:03:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I gave you more than a name." There's a cold note to his tone, now — not a threat, but anger. He'd provided as much intelligence as Rocket had on their agent. "More than that, I compromised one of my own to help you."

Loyalty to Rocket ran bone-deep for Gavin. It hadn't been an easy choice.

"You act as if I held you down and blackmailed you." Gavin's eyes narrow. "You called me. And even after the favour, I didn't force you into this."

It's a sensitive topic for him, because—

"I was forced, under threat to my life."

His attention sharply shifts to when she interjects.

"It's not my place to divulge your brother's business."

He looks back to .

"You had a choice. You've chosen. We're on the same side, now, regardless of how that makes you feel, and I'm a man of my word. We'll help with your problem; the least you can do is be civil."
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,414 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
wilt [c]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2021 11:39:27 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

Adrian bit down on his cheek. Whether Gavin spoke sense into him or not, one thing proved keenly visceral; he felt heavy with unwanted obligation. Though it pained him to admit it, Gavin told it true: He'd come voluntarily. But even so one could argue, as he had, that circumstance conspired against him. And that notion would fester.

It's sobering yet bizarre to hear the man give a personal account, which begs the question of why he remained. But Adrian could not dwell on it before their conversation continued to flow, like rapids surging towards a great fall.

Casting a glowering glance Serena's way when she demands to know more, Gavin is quick to admonish himself from disclosing anything further. Adrian might even have considered it admirable, but instead he lingered on them resentfully. He wanted his easy out.

Pressing a palm to his face, he manages what civility he can. "Sure, sure..." But Adrian isn't sure how it all fits together now, seeing in Serena not necessarily his younger sister, but yet another black sheep. Or a liability.

But perhaps it would benefit them both to air some dirty laundry. "I'm going after Empirio Saiga." His look is haunting as it slips through the fingers threaded over his face, revealing an unnerving eye of amber.

Letting the hand fall from his face and to his side, Adrian continues to fixate on Serena, for the moment allowing himself to forget Gavin is seated across from him:

"For Howitzer... and for myself." If she hadn't already known, the implication was clear; she died by his order, if not at his hand, and there would be Hell to pay for it...

It wasn't until he sat there, staring at his younger sister, that he began to ask whether he was doing the right thing.

It was too late for that now.

"...And I've hit a snag somewhere along the way..."

...And that's where he'd let her take it away, to then hopefully come up with something more convenient than the truth. She wouldn't hear it from him what he'd done so far in his pursuits. The less she knew, the better.