awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2021 20:23:19 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer's Rocket contacts made her aware that there was something they wanted her to investigate in the Shoal Cave. The word was that the local scientists and geologists had said there were artifacts somewhere in the cave. Of course they would want their hands on anything they could find.

However, when she found who her partner was...

"Seriously? You again?"

Her tone was rather rude and disgusted when she approached the mouth of the cave, coming into view. Summer was dressed to keep warm, since the cave was notorious for being cold. However, her arms were crossed over her chest as she stared him down with a pointed, red gaze.

Summer's shiny Emboar stood beside her, blue flames blazing as he snorted in Barnaby's direction. He could sense his trainer's disgust as she spotted him.

"Mr. Finch, please indulge me as to why you're here? Surely you didn't sign up to work with me on purpose."

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2021 2:47:24 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"C'mon, Summer. You know you missed me."

His lilting tone was that of someone seeing an old friend after a long while apart. The smile he whipped out as soon as he saw her? Radiant and sincere, of course. Every pointed look and disgusted word from his ROCKET associate rolled off Barnaby without offense. After all, what was there to gain from being upset and matching her energy?

Nothing. So, he waved her and her EMBOAR inside the mouth of Shoal Cave where his own Fire type waited. An unusually large NINETALES sat elegantly in the snow and watched as the group approached, her attention mainly focused on the boar Pokémon for now.

"Of course not, Ms. Prescott," Barnaby began, his voice regretful and appeasing. "I know how much you despise my company, so I would never purposefully put you through this agony." A lie. He totally signed up to work with her.

Why? Maybe he just liked the degradation.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
say a prayer for the wicked
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2021 3:13:45 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
"You know you missed me."

The words left a bitter taste in her mouth, and despite her ladylike demeanor, Summer Prescott spat on the ground in front of him to prove her point of disgust. Her chin was held high in defiance as she tried her absolute best to look down on him.

Despite his eight inch advantage on her.

The man's smile was bright and blinding, and she turned her head away with a tch. What was with this guy? If she knew any better, she would guess he was into some sketchy shit in the bedroom, with his constant poking and prodding. Like he hadn't learned his lesson the first time.

Summer took a few crunching steps forward with Surtur stomping behind her, her features only softening when she spotted the Ninetales waiting for them. Ever the beautiful creature, Ninetales were. However, she wouldn't give Barnaby the indulgence of seeing her pleasure.

"You're an absolute scoundrel. Come on. I'd like to get this over with so I can leave the cold."

The unspoken "and you" hung in the air as she entered with her Emboar at her side, her shoes finally making contact on firm ground rather than snow.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2021 20:51:30 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He watched Summer with an amused smile as they entered the mouth of the cave. The only deviation in Barnaby's pleasant expression came when his eyebrows lifted in semi-amazement as she literally spit on the ground in front of him. God, the tenacity of this woman. It was infectious.

Her disdain only seemed to egg him on more.

"Yes, yes. I'm insufferable, I get it." He conceded with a laugh. "We'll have you in and out in no time, love."

Ever the glutton for punishment, he knew referring to her with any term of endearment would likely elicit a negative response. Regardless of how she reacted, he'd follow her into the belly of the cavern, Odette the NINETALES at heel by his side.

Snow gave way to solid stone, but that didn't mean they'd left the ice behind entirely. The cave system was huge and labyrinthian. Columns of ice as thick as cement pillars held the ceiling in place, while a thin layer of frost dusted every surface. It was also extremely dark.

Surtur's flames helped illuminate the immediate area; to increase the radius of the light, Barnaby also released his QUILAVA.

"Did the scientists explain to you what they wanted us to find?" He questioned, his teasing tone having turned more serious.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2021 22:47:42 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
The more words that left his mouth drove Summer even more insane. She felt like a headache was coming on, reaching up to rub at her temples. Anything to get his voice out of her head.

However, the word "love" made her nearly boil over. She unsheathed a knife she carried with her at all times before closing the distance, pointing the blade at him.

"No pet names. No jokes, no banter, nothing. I swear, I will cut your tongue out."

Call it a drive from her paranoia, but violence was screaming in her blood as she took a step back. Surtur stood behind her, seemingly concerned for his trainer's wellbeing.

After all, he knew everything that was going on in her miserable life. How she drank herself away each night in hopes of waking up in a different world.

Walking away, Summer sighed, looking around at the cave.

"Just something rare. Artifacts, as the reports say."

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2021 1:46:37 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
The playful spark in Barnaby's eyes died with the switch of Summer's blade. His expression fell - not into one of fear, but of cold indifference. Her threats were met with silence, at least on his part. Odette had other thoughts.

As soon as Summer approached, his NINETALES leapt in front of him, assuming a protective stance. All elegance had disappeared. She was feral now: her lips curled over glinting teeth; tails flapped violently; hackles raised; crimson eyes narrowed into slits. A guttural snarl warned Summer to stay away. And she did, thankfully.

Barnaby's steady hand on the crown of Odette's head reigned her back in; she visibly deflated before returning to her owner's side. Barnaby, still, said nothing.

These are not the actions of a completely stable person.

The thought made him... sad for her, mostly. And a little regretful.

"I apologize if I upset you." He called out, softly but sincerely, as if she had only reprimanded him with her voice and not a literal weapon.

And that was it. He wasn't about to keep pushing someone who was obviously going through something. They continued deeper into the cave - sans pet names, jokes, banter, etc.
close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2021 16:45:18 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Barnaby's Ninetales was intimidating, but Summer's eyes hardly drifted down to it as it stepped between its trainer and her. Surtur let out a low growling noise, boar-like in nature as he waited for the other Pokemon to stop threatening Summer.

It was a tense situation that left a heavy feeling in the air after she withdrew.

The Emboar glanced at Barnaby and his Ninetales before following behind Summer, dedicated as ever to her. Summer, meanwhile, did not acknowledge Barnaby's apology, instead sheathing the knife away and letting her gaze wander as she walked.

The silence filled the air in the cave as they walked, nothing but their footsteps to be heard as she examined the wall.

"I didn't mean to threaten you like that."

The implicated apology came out of no where. It was the best that Barnaby would get out of Summer right now.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2021 20:09:56 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"I didn't mean to threaten you like that."

He believed her. The mix of outrage and desperation in her voice, matched with the sudden emotional shift, seemed to manifest out of no where. An action that wasn't premediated, just spontaneously violent.

Or was it defensive? A cry for help, maybe.

"No worries. Not the first time I've had someone draw a knife on me." As was his way, he chose to make light, to pull their conversation from the gallows.

Normally he would have added, "You're definitely the prettiest person who has, though."

But Barnaby knew that would be overstepping again, so, he refrained.

Suddenly, a glint of something golden in the wall of the cave caught his attention. He stopped, eyes squinting for a better view, before calling his QUILAVA over to better illuminate the space.

"You see that? I think there's something encased in this ice."

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2022 0:49:04 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
However, it wasn't something to make light on, was it? It wasn't like Summer Prescott to just pull a knife on someone at random for the hell of it, even if they were annoying her.

Perhaps it was a cry for help, and the first signs of her breaking down were manifesting here, in the Shoal Cave.

However, she refused to comment on it, to bring into light what was going on inside her mind or what happened. In fact, she just wished to forget about it. Pretend it didn't happen, just like the other things going on in her life.

That everything was fine as Barnaby's Quilava began to glow brighter to show them what was hiding in the wall. Summer squinted as she stepped closer.

"Should we melt it, then?"

After a brief glance to make sure that the cave was stable enough should they melt the area, she beckoned her Emboar closer. A small FLAMETHROWER, controlled under Summer's supervision, would be enough to thaw the thickened area.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 20:37:55 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Might as well. See if it's worth anything."

Barnaby stepped back as Summer stepped forward, giving her and her EMBOAR a wide berth to do their work. The Flamethrower cast a wave of bright light onto the scene; its undulating stream of fire caused shadows to dance and play across the walls of the cave. It gave an ethereal feeling to this whole ordeal.

As moments passed, Barnaby observed in silence: the melting ice, his waiting Pokémon, but mostly he watched Summer.

She was wild, but damn, she was beautiful too.

Soon enough the job was done and the artifact was uncovered. With a gloved hand, Barnaby reached in to collect it. To the EMBOAR's credit, its attack had been so precise that the golden totem (shaped in the form of some long-extinct Pokémon) was barely warm.

"This should suffice." Pocketing the item, his thoughts already on the warm bath that awaited him at home, he added absentmindedly, "Let's head back, love."

Fuck. It just slipped out.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 21:10:01 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Of course Surtur's aim and precision was perfect. He belonged to Summer.

And for as long as she could remember, she and her Emboar, though he had once been a tiny Tepig, had worked hard together to make things perfect. That was how they were able to conquer her father's enemies.

But even though she grew older, she learned she wasn't perfect. There were faults in her.

And those were shown again when she heard the pet name slip from Barnaby's lips again.

"Love, love, love... there's no such thing, and I already said to not-"

The knife was whipped again, her thoughts raining down on her. A loveless individual, struggle in her abyss.

Searching for the word he was so easy to give her.

"Call me that!"

Summer's voice echoed in the cave, wavering yet loud as tears pricked the corners of her eyes. She brought it closer to his neck this time, as though she was really going to hurt him.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 22:28:37 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Damn Barnaby and his Kalosian heritage. Pet names just came with the territory when you grew up in the culture that he did. Most people didn't mind; enjoyed the terms of endearment, even.

But not Summer. This was a boundary of hers that he would not soon forget.

The switchblade sprang out with an audible metallic 'click', but this time Barnaby was prepared. He knew he'd fucked up as soon as the word 'love' left his lips again.

The knife at his neck sapped the last of his patience, though. He barely allowed Summer time to vent, to cry out in frustration and despair, before he rushed forward at a surprising speed.

Large hands wrapped around her wrists, pinning her against the wall of the cave. His body was so close to hers, there was barely an inch of space between them; this left little room for her to maneuver out of his grasp.

"Drop the knife." Again, that cold tone returned to his voice. Not really expecting her to outright obey the command, however, Barnaby added a little extra pressure: he tightened his grip around her wrist, squeezing. Hard.

The knife clattered to the ground.

"That's my girl." He said lowly, steadily, like a man calming a wildcat, his breath hot against her ear.

"Now, don't you ever fucking do that again."

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 22:42:48 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
As fast as she had pulled out her weapon, she was forced back against the wall of the cave.

Summer let out a grunt as the rocky wall dug against her back, trying to fight against Barnaby. But his height and his strength outmatched her. He had simply outsmarted her in her moment of outrage. It had blinded her, left her defenseless.

Surtur was blocked by his Pokemon, who seemed ready to strike out at him should he make a move. They were at a stalemate.

Barnaby won.

With a frustrated growl, followed with a short groan of pain as his grip on her wrist tightened, the knife clattered onto the ground. That didn't mean the threat was averted. She had fists and feet to fight with too.

Until he whispered in her ear.

All aspects of the mission, the artifacts, hatred, were seemingly thrown out of Summer's mind as he whispered in her ear. His breath was hot compared to the cold atmosphere they were surrounded in... and yet she still had tingles run through her body like electricity.

Especially when he scolded her.

"Let me... let go..." Summer said weakly, her face red as she weakly pushed against his hands.

"You're hurting my wrist."

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2022 2:13:31 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Despite her weak-worded pleas, Barnaby's grip remained steady: no harder, no softer. For now. If she wanted freedom, she'd have to earn it from here on out.

He leaned in closer, their bodies touching now. There was no leverage for her to take advantage of; she was his to scold and toy with.

"Not until you promise to be a good girl." His lips grazed across her neck as he continued. "No more knives, no more threats."

He pulled away, cobalt eyes meeting Summer's intense crimson.

"Yes?"

All she had to do was obey, then they could leave this frozen hell.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
frozen treasure [ww/m]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2022 2:36:10 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
And then, Barnaby's in her space, if there was any left before. The air between them, claimed like his victory on Summer. She suddenly found it hard to breathe without taking in the smell of his shampoo, his soap...

Him...

Summer's eyes were squeezed shut as she felt those sparks of pleasure jolt against her skin when his lips brushed over her neck as he spoke to her. And she was convinced he knew what game he was playing.

And how utterly fucked she was.

"I don't have anymore. No more knives."

Her eyes opened, seeing blue. She shivered against the wall.

"Please."

What did it mean? It was up to him to find out.