awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2022 22:04:14 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer didn't usually attend festivals and large public events, but she had come as a part of a business meeting. As it would turn out, she was enjoying it a lot more than she thought she would.

Dressed in a kimono to celebrate Kantonian and Johtonian culture in this festival, she wandered around long after her meeting was over, observing activities other people were doing and enjoying some of the food vendors lining the road.

Until someone caught her eye.

Summer's stomach churned, her heart began to race, and suddenly her kimono felt like it was all too tight on her. Surtur glanced over at her, sensing her discomfort.

"We should get going," she said, trying to escape before he could spot her.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2022 3:18:10 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Winter still clung onto Hoenn, but the worst of the snow seemed to have passed on for now. Only a cold chill remained in the air on this gorgeous festival day. It was enough for Barnaby to sport a light jacket as he walked through the maze of stalls.

He, too, had come here on business. His network had asked him to organize a small op-ed about the various festivals taking place across Hoenn. The journalist was more than happy to oblige, as he loved to travel and experience new things.

However, despite being so far from Mauville, something familiar caught his eye. At first it was the giant EMBOAR - because how could you miss him? But it was the woman next to him that truly tugged at his curiosity.

Barnaby almost didn't recognize her in her traditional attire. Hair done, makeup pristine, outfit on point. She looked gorgeous.

"Summer?"
close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
say a prayer for the wicked
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2022 1:12:35 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer heard him call her name. A flash of their night together, heated breaths and lips exchanging unspoken words of desires, came running back into her mind. Even in the middle of the chilly night, she felt hot.

She needed to get away.

Did she dare pretend to act like she hadn't heard him? Continue to walk away?

Yet, something was pulling her toward him, like a magnet. Summer's Emboar had already turned and made eye contact with Barnaby. She supposed she had little to no choice.

Turning, she met his blue gaze with her own scarlet, swallowing hard.

"Barnaby."

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2022 2:08:54 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Her hesitance was noted, but not unexpected given their dynamic. There were still growing pains in their relationship that Barnaby was willing to acknowledge and, with their last night together in mind, more than happy to work through.

The sex had been great, but perhaps there was potential for friendship as well? The festival around them afforded a wonderful opportunity to find out.

"Hey there, Surtur. How are ya, big guy?" Barnaby asked, patting the EMBOAR on its back as he approached Summer.

"What a pleasant surprise to see you so far from home!" As their eyes met, his held an excited spark; Barnaby was genuinely happy to have bumped into Summer like this.

He looked around for a moment, but saw no one associated with the ROCKET close by. With a curious but unconcerned tone he asked, "Are you alone?"

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2022 2:24:35 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
For a moment, Summer was pinned against her couch again, clinging onto Barnaby as if her life depended on it. She was sweating, panting, chasing her high as he-

His voice snapped her out of her daydream. Summer felt restricted and unbelievably warm in her kimono as he talked casually to her.

"I... suppose so."

Summer typically strayed away from home for jobs, getting tasks done that her father wanted her to take over or didn't want to do himself. Really, it was quite rare she stayed in Mauville Hills for a long period of time.

Though for her to dress up like this was an oddity. She usually never strayed from her usual style, Kalosian flares and touched with glimmers of highlighter on her cheek. Anything to enhance her beauty.

Really, she felt out of place.

"I came on business. But it's over now, so I suppose I am... are you?"

And, Summer usually didn't care about what other people did. Only herself. But something itched in her stomach to know why he was here. Was he with someone?

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 22:38:58 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
His smile widened and his tone became even more upbeat.

"I am, actually! Why don't we enjoy the festival together?"

There were a plethora of booths to entice their curiosity. Knickknacks, clothing, games, fortunetelling, food, and even more besides. The atmosphere was bright and merry - almost infectious.

"I was just about to get something to eat. Join me." Indeed, his eyes did look hungry as they appraised Summer.

The kimono really does suit her, but all the layers will be annoying to...

He cut that thought short. Friendship, Barnaby. Friendship.

Looking up, he sees and smells something worth grabbing his attention. "That karaage stand looks good. Let's check it out!"

And just like that, he was off. Barnaby hoped Summer wouldn't need further prompting to follow, but ultimately it was up to her to accept his invitation or not.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2022 3:31:49 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
The excitement and upbeat nature Barnaby held as he suggested they take in the sights of the festival together did something to her. She wouldn't admit it out loud, but since she had become more in touch with her feelings, she recognized these flares.

This wasn't good. Summer felt a pit of dread following the hope and excitement that had built up in her chest. She needed to say no and leave.

"I guess that wouldn't hurt."

That was as close to a yes that she'd willingly give Barnaby. She went against all of her inner thoughts and caved. Of course she cursed herself.

If she noticed his eyes wander, she made no comment about it. Her own were busy looking elsewhere after a moment, as though she was desperate not to stare.

"Lead the way."

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2022 21:31:15 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Lead he did. Past the crowds and the children running underfoot, until they made it to the front of the karaage stand. The smell of fried chicken swirled around them, enticing and sumptuous. Barnaby ordered two helpings, which came skewered on wooden sticks for ease of eating. He gave one to Summer and retained the other for himself.

Barnaby didn't linger at the stand; instead, he continued walking through the festival, not wanting to miss any of the various attractions. He was sure not to leave Summer behind, though.

"So, you said you were here on business? What sort of business?" The implied question of whether it was ROCKET business or not was fairly obvious.
close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2022 22:59:26 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
A few of those running children nearly trampled Summer's foot. Yet, for some reason, she held her tongue, though her eyes certainly betrayed the annoyance she held for them.

Why did she hold her tongue? Was it some effect Barnaby was emitting off onto her? His sweet kindness, hospitality.

Disgusting. Soft.

And yet, she followed him like a lost puppy desperate for attention, waiting a few feet from his side as he ordered from the stall. He handed one skewer over to her, which she took with an interested face that could certainly be made out for as disgust. Never had Summer Prescott eaten food off of a stick.

"For my father. And you?" she countered.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 2:45:07 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He took a bite, not terribly minding that the food came skewered. It was delicious, after all, and to his Kalosian heart that was all that mattered.

"Pleasure. I enjoy these sorts of things." Barnaby was only half-lying. While work in his public role as a journalist had brought him to the festival, he truly did delight in the uproar and splendor.

There was just something about being surrounded be hundreds of happy humans. He soaked up their joy like a sponge.

His gaze once again fell on Summer; he noticed the annoyance in her eyes, but didn't comment on it. Instead, he offered a compliment that had been pinging around in his head since they'd bumped into each other.

"You look beautiful tonight, by the way."

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 3:08:08 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer fell in step with him, delicately picking at the skewered meat with her fingers instead of eating it savagely. Call it her preference. However, her fingers grew greasy, and she was quick to find something to wipe them on.

In the midst of her cleaning the grease from her fingertips, she looked over as Barnaby complimented her. It was surprising, that he'd find her attractive with the little amount of makeup she wore so the kimono took the spotlight.

It made Summer's heart flutter for a moment before she quelled it.

"I... Barnaby..."

She cut herself off with a sigh, tossing the stick and her napkin away in the nearest trash disposal. She looked back at him, brows furrowed.

"This was a mistake. Everything was... a mistake," Summer said, though her words were shaky and rather unconvincing.

"We shouldn't be alone together."

Though her eyes, wandering away from his face to look at anything but, betrayed her true feelings, as did the heat on her cheeks.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2022 22:19:11 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Barnaby watched in surprise as hesitant admissions flowed past Summer's lips. He could feel probing eyes watching their interaction, especially her shaky reply and uncomfortable demeanor.

"I—" Barnaby began, but cut himself short, instead deciding to reach for Summer's hand. "Let's find somewhere more private to talk."

He towed her along after him until a quiet alleyway, adjacent to the festival, presented itself. A light sigh left his mouth as the shadows enveloped them.

Turning, he appraised the woman before him with concerned eyes. "A mistake?"

Eyebrows furrowed, his mind streaming through the catalogue of their encounters.

"I thought we were just having a little fun, Summer. But..." He stepped back, giving her a modicum more space in the tiny alley. "If this isn't something you want, then we can end it here. It was never my intention to do something you didn't want to do."
close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2022 2:30:19 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
That was the opposite of what Summer had said.

She felt Barnaby take her hand, a rather gentle touch than the night they had shared, before leading her to an alley. To seclusion. Summer's brain told her that it was a bad idea. She had time to step away, to take her hand from his and walk the other way.

She almost did, and if he felt her flinch in his hold, he surely didn't mention it.

Summer found herself leaning near the brick wall, though she payed mind not to scrap the silk fabric against the surface to ruin it. Her piercing red gaze found the ground, where a few Ratatas scurried off with a Raticate in tow.

"Remember to make eye contact. It is considered rude and will lose deals if you drop your gaze like that," her father's voice chimed in her mind. She slowly drew her gaze back up, listening to him as he spoke.

Though his words were partially muffled, as Summer's mind became preoccupied with what was truly bothering her. Attachment. Finding someone she cared for and losing them. She thought of , how they whispered sweet nothings to each other. How he told her she was beautiful, how he loved her.

How he wanted a life, with a child, with her. Even after finding out she was in Rocket. He was ready to sacrifice everything and be with her.

Where was Casey?

Things with Barnaby were only meant to be a distraction. To forget about it, perhaps a use until he came back. But he'd been gone for months, and the longer Summer spent with Barnaby, she worried that she might find herself in a similar situation like that again.

Her red eyes glistened with tears, dripping down her cheeks like rain drops as she finally found words to speak.

"It's not that I didn't want to do it. I just..."

Through a harsh exhale, her voice cracking, Summer hid her face.

"Everyone I become close to vanishes. I can't bare it. I might as well cease it before it happens. Don't you understand?"
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2022 22:09:27 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Damn.

Watching Summer crumble before him was like a stab to the heart. He would have expected her to literally do that, though, before something like this.

Barnaby reached a hand outward, slowly, gently, so that she could refuse the touch if she wanted to. His palm cupped her cheek, a thumb used to brush away her tears.

"I understand." All too well. How many times had he'd sought connection from his family, only to be pushed away? Kept at arms-reach? Tethered, like a dog, but not loved like one.

It was this feeling of isolation that melded Barnaby into the man he was: desperate for affection, always seeking out attention and limelight. If he wasn't given the recognition he wanted, he'd simply take it.

It seemed he and Summer were travelling along the same broken path, except he was ahead in his journey. While she cried and confessed her woes, her heart bleeding and suffering, all he could do was console her. Barnaby knew her pain, because he'd felt it before.

Resolution only came when his heart had been sealed off, unavailable to those who could hurt it. He still sought connections with others, but not commitment — because how could you be let down if there were no strings attached?

"A sad reality of this ephemeral life." He said softly, his thumb continuing to stroke her cheek. "But you have a choice, Summer. Explicit loneliness or the chance at something more? It's a gamble we all have to take."

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
a shadow of doubt [m/ww]
POSTED ON Feb 22, 2022 2:57:12 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer was already crying. She knew that, but she told herself that she wasn't going to break. She was the heiress to the Prescott family name, wealth, industry. She was strong, she was powerful.

However, when that hand touched her cheek ever so gently, she felt herself break.

All the tension she held for months poured out of her in a loud sob, a wailing cry that she couldn't control. Not even her father, who she'd deem her closest companion at this point, had comforted her so gently.

Why was Barnaby? Did he enjoy seeing her like this? Seeing the woman who threatened to stab him and was an utter bitch break apart from a simple comforting touch? Summer couldn't find herself to care about his intentions in the moment, as she was unable to help the flood of fresh tears and heaving breaths that left her mouth in puffs as she tried to catch her breath.

Knox's life was on the line. She never saw him anymore. Sam was taking care of him, but where were they? Casey was gone. Her father held expectations unimaginable over her head.

What else could she do but shatter into pieces in Barnaby's caress? Summer Prescott was as human as any else, as much as she wished she wasn't.

Finding her head resting against his chest, whether she had put it there or he had pulled her closer, she was unsure, she shook as she tried to gain her composure again. Her head pounded as she sniffed unladylike to keep from snotting on his shirt.

"Why do I deserve anything but loneliness, Barnaby? I've been living like this my entire life. How can you change something like that?" she asked, though under her words, there was an innocence to her, begging for his help.