Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[Race Day] MAUVILLE BAY | Drift Waterway
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 1:34:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
MAUVILLE BAY | Drift Waterway | Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆☆

This was it. Josh's first Devon Cup race of the 2022 season was to begin soon. His accomplishments in Johto's 2019 and abbreviated 2020 seasons landed him near the top of Silver Class. The 2021 season had to be cancelled completely due to a global crisis affecting in-person activities of all kinds. He was right at home in Gold Class. Gold is where the competition started to get serious. It came with not only a big pay bump, but also a publicity bump. Every single Gold Class race was broadcast on national television. Some of the races were on premium sports channels, but they would all eventually find themselves on the Federation's ChuTube channel after a few weeks. Josh didn't even need to win today's race. He just needed to finish in the top few spots. If he could do well in today's race, he would be eligible for promotion to Gold Class.

Many of the competitors were already getting practice in on the open waters outside the track itself. An older male, appearing to be in his forties, was atop a Blastoise that appeared to be practicing sharp turns by activating only one of his water cannons. Blastoise were powerful racing Pokémon, but their method of locomotion placed their fate entirely in their rider's hands. To utilize their cannons for propulsion, they had to face backwards. Though it had to take a lot of adjustment, that kind of water pressure meant they could really pour on the speed when going straight.

The only other "unusual" Pokémon in the field was a Vaporeon, positively enormous for its kind. After all, it had to be for a rider to even fit on its back at all! The rest of the field was comprised of Pokémon to be expected for such a race. Snacker was not the only Sharpedo - there were two others, as well as six Lapras. In total, twenty teams of Pokémon and rider would be competing for the checkered flag on this windy day off the sands near the Mauville/Fortree county line.

The course itself was by far the easiest aquatic course on the Hoennian circuit - it was a good mix of surface and underwater racing. Well-lit tunnels and waterproof cameras would track the field as they disappeared beneath the waves, broadcasting the sub-surface view to a screen near the scoreboard. Though there were a large number of U-turns on the course in general, the walls and buoys were placed far enough apart to allow even wide drifting around them. Of course, it was still desired to crest every turn's apex, but it was accommodating to Pokémon who couldn't turn quite as sharply.

The only huge obstacle that scared Josh was a quick chicane leading into the home stretch. The walls were angled in such a way that any Pokémon that hit them at high speed would likely carom off one, then the other. Depending on the exact angle of impact, their inertia could send them forward with minimal time loss, or worst case, completely backwards. Pokémon that could take a lot of punishment, such as that Blastoise, could take advantage of it by slamming into the wall, assuming the rider could handle the whiplash. It was evident that they could - the Blastoise and rider were going to be in the front row on the five-row starting grid. Josh was almost all the way in the back. He would be starting in nineteenth place after the time trials did not go his way.

With the announcement that it was a half hour until race time, Josh waded into the sea, then summoned his Sharpedo, Snacker, when the water was deep enough to accommodate the aptly-named Bully of the Sea. If he had his way, the Pokémon would bully other competitors into yielding to his charges. The large water-type briefly submerged to allow Josh to hop on behind his big fin. There was just enough room for Snacker's saddle to fit between his big fin and the end of his back. That was all the room Josh needed! With a popping noise, Snacker started up his tail jet, propelling him around the starting area and allowing his trainer to scout out the competition.

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Snacker       Sharpedo       Good

{WC: 712}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
My legacy is in the lives I save
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 14:40:31 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[newclass=.icon]display: inline-block[/newclass][newclass=.icon img]width: inherit; height: inherit; max-width: inherit; max-height: inherit; min-width: inherit; min-height: inherit; border-radius: inherit;[/newclass][nospaces]
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

Every now and then the racing circuit would throw in a ‘celebrity’ competitor, someone Hoenn would recognize. It’s mostly for publicity and to attract more fans to the lesser known races. Sometimes it was an Elite Four member, other times a gym leader, or up-and-coming trainers that had made a name for themselves but today it was a Head Professor. She by no means deserved to be here amongst some of the elite racers that have earned their spots. The only reason Eva agreed to it was to have some fun outside the lab (and her League Contract required a certain number of public appearance to promote them publicly).

[break][break]

Today, Eva took a rather unconventional approach to racing. Her larger Barraskewda was her pokemon of choice. She wasn’t completely new to whole ‘racing’ thing. Her mother raced Rapidash and Eva very much took after her in that aspect. Eva lived for the thrill and racing certainly provided a degree of danger that tickled her fancy. Eva frequently raced her dragon and Rapidash but water races were something she was new to.

[break][break]

Torpedo was fast. Eva rode the pokemon almost like a surf board, standing and steadied by a set of reins attached to a harness around his core. She was practicing tight turns as well, keeping her balance by distributing the weight evenly and applying a bit of counter pressure with the reins. Still, it didn’t work every time.

[break][break]

With a small yelp she flew off the Barraskewda, falling into the water with a splash. A moment later she was bobbing up and down in the gentle waves, laughing as the pokemon pulled up beside her, “Maybe a little less umph next time.”

[attr="class","ooc"]

+

[newclass=".evaa"]--accent:#a9d39d; --speech:#a9d39d;[/newclass]

[newclass=".evaa"]width:500px; margin:0px auto; background:#111; padding-bottom:10px; border:1px solid #232323; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom right;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .top"]height:350px; background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/q1Q4tR4/image.png); background-size:cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main"]font:12px 'Roboto'; color:#fff; text-align:justify; padding:25px 30px 30px 30px; border:1px solid var(--accent); margin:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main::first-line"]color:var(--accent); font:italic 12px/13px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main b"]color:var(--speech); font:bold 12px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main i"]color:var(--speech);[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .pkmnBar"]background:#111111; text-align:center; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom right; background-color:var(--accent); padding-bottom:10px; border-bottom:1px solid #848484;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .pkmnBar img"]filter:grayscale(100%); width:50px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .pkmnBar img:hover"]filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .ooc"]background:#171717; border-top:1px solid var(--accent); margin-top:20px; padding:20px; font:9px 'Roboto Mono';[/newclass]

[googlefont=Roboto|Montserrat|Roboto+Mono|Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 17:02:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
For a Silver Class race, the competition looked stacked; there were several Pokémon typically only seen in Gold and Platinum Classes due to how hard they were to control. One in particular that caught Josh's eye was a Barraskewda that appeared to be rigged up for its trainer to stand on it like a surfboard rather than sit on its back. It was certainly unusual, but completely within the rules. The oddity got Josh's attention; with careful application of Snacker's tail jet, he pulled up next to the Barraskewda.

"I've never seen that Pokémon before," Josh made conversation with the blonde that was presumably its trainer. "This is my first race of the season," he continued, flipping his visor up so she could see his face. Snacker snapped his jaw in an attempt to intimidate the Barraskewda.

If she seemed interested in carrying on a conversation while waiting for the call to line up, Josh would introduce himself. "I'm Josh, and this is Snacker," he gently pat his Pokémon's head. "We're looking to turn pro next season. How was your time trial? I could not find my drift timing at all." For a course titled Drift Waterway, this was to be expected; every turn was either 90 or 180 degrees, and cresting the apex of each required different timing. Too early, and the team would recoil off the inner wall. Too late, and the turn would be too wide; best case losing position, worst case a harsh side collision with the outer wall. Snacker had made that mistake multiple times, and one small bruise on his underside was still there.

Josh's eyes shifted the Barraskewda's rotating tail, like a natural propeller. The only Pokémon he knew of with a similar method of aquatic locomotion was Floatzel, and they were among the fastest water-types. He might need to look into getting one of these for himself. Their conversation was cut short by an announcement over the loudspeaker: the introduction of all the racers. "Qualifying 20th place in the Time Trials, from Mauville, Hoenn, Lin Jamison and her Lapras, Misty!"

"I gotta take my position. They're gonna call my name next. Nice meeting you!" Josh waved to the blonde and guided Snacker to the area behind the starting line.

"Qualifying 19th place in the Time Trials, from Goldenrod, Johto, Josh Devlin and his Sharpedo, Snacker!" A lukewarm applause was all Josh got as he took his position on the starting grid; expected for someone who performed poorly on his solo run. How was he expected to do any better when there were nineteen other Pokémon competing for position on such a drift-heavy course? Even the smallest collision could cause a huge time loss--and loss of position.

LAP     1/3           POS   19/20
ENERGY 100%        TIME 00'00"000
            LAP TIME  1 00'00"000
                           --"---

{WC: 459}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 21:15:26 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[newclass=.icon]display: inline-block[/newclass][newclass=.icon img]width: inherit; height: inherit; max-width: inherit; max-height: inherit; min-width: inherit; min-height: inherit; border-radius: inherit;[/newclass][nospaces]
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

Eva smiles as Josh approaches. She’s always been overly friendly, even in competition. She’s just doing this for fun, anyway! Eva clamors back onto the Barraskewda with little effort. It wasn’t her first time falling off and it won’t be her last!

[break][break]

“Oh, really? It’s a Barraskewda, one of the fastest water-types!” Josh has already noticed the propeller tail so Eva doesn’t bother pointing it out, “This is our first race, right buddy?” Eva pats the pokemon on the side. He shifts beneath her excitedly, anxious to really let loose, “Gotta work on those turns, though, or this course Is gonna tear us up!”

[break][break]

While chatting with Josh, she simply sits on top of the Barraskewda, “I’m Eva! And this is Torpedo! It’s nice to meet ya!” When the Sharpedo snaps at the Barraskewda, the pokemon doesn’t really react. It simply blinks at the competitor. As a fellow predator, the other doesn’t really intimidate him.

[break][break]

“Good luck! See ya out there!” Eva waves as Josh goes to take his place. Soon after, Eva and Torpedo follow, taking the designated ‘celebrity’ starting place beside the number one seed.

[attr="class","ooc"]

+

[newclass=".evaa"]width:500px; margin:0px auto; background:#111; padding-bottom:10px; border:1px solid #232323; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom right;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .top"]height:350px; background-image:url(https://i.ibb.co/q1Q4tR4/image.png); background-size:cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main"]font:12px 'Roboto'; color:#fff; text-align:justify; padding:25px 30px 30px 30px; border:1px solid var(--accent); margin:25px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main::first-line"]color:var(--accent); font:italic 12px/13px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .main b"]color:var(--speech); font:bold 12px 'Poppins';[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .pkmnBar"]background:#111111; text-align:center; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom right; background-color:var(--accent); padding-bottom:10px; border-bottom:1px solid #848484;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .pkmnBar img:hover"]filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=".evaa .ooc"]background:#171717; border-top:1px solid var(--accent); margin-top:20px; padding:20px; font:9px 'Roboto Mono';[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2022 4:21:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After Josh took his position, he heard name after name called, but Eva's wasn't being called! Row after row finished lining up ahead of him and his Sharpedo. The final row started forming. Did Eva really qualify near the front of the pack on her first race? If so, Barraskewda has to be an incredible species for aquatic races, and Josh would have to track one down. At last, Josh got his answer.

"Qualifying 2nd place in the Time Trials, from Pallet, Kanto, Eva Morales and Torpedo, her Barraskewda!" the MC continued, a loud cheer following. She must have had quite the fanbase from another gig. Perhaps she was in show biz or something? She did imply inexperience. Either way her Pokémon had to be just extremely well suited for the course, or she was way more talented than she let on. Maybe she was a natural.

Josh waved and gave one last "Good luck!" to Eva as she took her position on the grid's front row.

"And qualifying on the pole, from Dehara, Borrius, Raye Higgins and Violet, her Dragonair!" Now Josh was disappointed he didn't enter his Dragonair, Resheph; a Dragonair battle on the last lap would have been dramatic and gotten him a lot of attention. Snacker was better suited to the course, though. There were long straight stretches where he could really pour on the speed, and every corner but one could be easily drifted through. The course was also relatively short; the race would be over in a couple minutes or so.

The electronic banner over the starting line glowed red after all twenty racers had taken their positions, a sign for them to be ready to start. Three Poké Ball symbols appeared across the banner. The rightmost one faded out, accompanied by a low buzzer, one second later. This was repeated for the second symbol, with one remaining. When the third one disappeared, the background turned from red to green and higher-pitched, longer buzzer signaled the start of the race.

Josh felt a sharp jolt and heard a loud popping noise as Snacker fed water through his propulsion organ, a thin, high-pressure beam of water shooting from the water-type's rear end. The cacophony of cries Pokémon and human drowned out the myriad of splashing as racers quickly got up to speed. The Lapras that started behind Josh very quickly passed him, as to be expected; with Sharpedo being an extremely momentum-based swimmer, it took his jet propulsion some time to get up to speed. Once he got up to speed, though, he was going to leave everyone behind...especially on the second and third laps, when he would be able to use his Aqua Jet to really go darting through the waves! For the first time around the course, though, Josh would have to hold his Sharpedo back...

LAP     1/3        POS       20/20
ENERGY  99%       TIME   00'02"133
              LAP TIME 1 00'02"133
                         +  01"090

{WC: 477}
{PC: 3}

3ywZsK33
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2022 20:13:55 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

Did Eva really deserve to be up there at the top of the pack? No. But was she? Yes.

[break][break]

Therefore, she had a lot to live up to and she would try her darndest not to disappoint and give the fans a good show. With 20 racers at the ready, she could already feel the pressure of the eyes burning into her.

[break][break]

Don’t let ‘em down.

[break][break]

BUUUUUUUZZZZZZ

[break][break]

And just like that, they were off!

[break][break]

Eva crouched down a bit, stabilizing herself against the jerking start of the propellor-like tail of the Barraskweda. Much like Josh’s Sharpedo, it takes a bit to get up to speed and on to plane. Once there, the rest was smooth sailing!

[break][break]

“YAHOOOO! LET’S GO, TORPEDO!” she pumps a fist in the air for emphasis.

[attr="class","ooc"]

+ [break][break]

rOFWG|g5

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 5:58:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh couldn't help but chuckle at Eva's enthusiasm when she pumped her fist, despite numberous Pokémon passing her on the front line. The rest of the field charged ahead, except for a teenage boy on another Sharpedo. He badly mistimed his command for his Pokémon to submerge, a sputtering noise coming from their direction. That couldn't have been good, both for their position and for the Pokémon's health. Though the field was of twenty racers, there were only eleven different species of Pokémon represented; Eva's Barraskewda was unique among them.

In the chaos of the race's start, Raye and her Dragonair held onto the pole position by a rapidly widening margin, now around a third of a second. The ten racers behind her were constantly bumping off one another, fighting for early position. The lone Vaporeon in the field made use of its powerful tail to swerve about and block traffic from passing her rider, holding onto third place.

While Snacker was slow to get going, Barraskewda were slightly slower yet. Josh and his Sharpedo found themselves swimming next to Eva and Torpedo down the opening straightaway. With one exception, the course seemed designed for momentum-based swimmers like Sharpedo and Barraskewda, rather than precision-based swimmers like Dragonair. He seemed content to stay near Eva until the first wide U-turn approached, at which point he rolled the shark into a shallow left turn to guide the two toward the outside.

Mostly up to speed now, it was showtime. Just before the waterway started curving to the right, Josh pushed the Sharpedo into a lateral by "crossing his controls": rolling Snacker in one direction while turning him in the other. The thrust of his rear water jet rapidly changing direction would take care of the rest. It was a move that required a lot of practice, and would be required in order to perform well with a Sharpedo.

The first curve went beautifully; while Josh wasn't able to guide Snacker into cresting the apex, he came close enough to pass the five Lapras that had to slow down a lot to round the corner. Unfortunately, the second such curve, this one in the opposite direction, was not so kind. While Josh's timing entering the drift was perfect, his exit timing was late, sending he and his mount toward the thick, foam walls that served both as course bounds and a Federation-standard safety feature.

Though the impact was jarring, it was far better than crashing into a brick wall at that speed. The five Lapras he had just passed whizzed by as Snacker had to build up his speed again. Once he got going, he would be able to pass racers left and right, but one mistake like this would force the two to build it all back up again. It wasn't all bad, though; almost everyone would have to slow down for the brutal, almost whiplash-inducing S-curve on the backstretch. Josh was already dreading how he was going to handle it...

LAP     1/3        POS       19/20
ENERGY  94%       TIME   00'23"100
              LAP TIME 1 00'23"100
                         +  01"500

{WC: 502}
{PC: 4}

j5JXZFD4
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2022 18:24:37 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

As the straight away came towards a turn, she found herself racing beside a familiar, friendly face. As much as Eva wanted to give Josh a wave, she restrained herself to try and keep a semi-professional guise.

[break][break]

The Barraskeda took the first turn in a similar arc as Josh and his Sharpedo, drafting just off the flank to stay in calmer waters before they can build up speed again on a straight away. Eva specifically chose Barraskewda for the course due to speedy straight aways and also having the ability and agility to bank quite sharply on the curves. Riding the Barraksewda like a surf board allowed Eva to counter balance quite drastically, using the reins as a point of stability.

[break][break]

They didn’t quite follow Josh as quickly in the second turn. In fact, Eva may have slowed down the Barraskewda too much as they fell behind the Lapras again. She mentally winced at Josh and Snacker’s collision but they seemed ok so she didn’t stop to check, “Dang, gotta get movin’ on that straight away! Let’s go, Torpedo!”

[attr="class","ooc"]

+ [break][break]

HcV7Is5K

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 5:13:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Eva was quick to take the initiative; she and Torpedo passed Josh up coming out of the final drift and onto a straight stretch where he could take advantage of Snacker's speed. While they were still well within earshot of each other, Eva had nosed ahead. The two of them had passed up a number of teams that mistimed their turns, all putting dents in the course's high-side walls. The two had picked up quite a few spots, now approaching the middle of the pack.

Meanwhile, at the front of the pack, the lone Vaporeon in the field made excellent use of her long tail, flicking it back and forth in rapid succession and with perfect timing to avoid a collision with the course's walls as well as competing traffic. She gracefully passed Raye's Dragonair found herself in the lead coming up to the home stretch! Of course, things would change wildly on boost laps...

Josh had Snacker back off a little more to give himself more room to work with; that wicked turn that gave him a lot of trouble in the Time Trials was coming up within seconds. Snacker, like many of the Pokémon in front of him, floated toward the right side. All things considered, this curve was borderline unfair for a track advertised to be the difficulty it was. But it was there, and he had to deal with it.

The Sharpedo's rider took a deep breath, firmly holding the reins in his hands. Timing this maneuver would be difficult, and the price of failure would be high. He suspected Eve would have a much easier time with it, what with Torpedo's propeller-tail offering much more precise control. Just as he entered the chicane, Josh yanked left on his water-type, then no less than a half-second later, equally hard back to the right. He hoped his timing was right. If so, he would be able to pass a lot of traffic right at the line! Once they crossed the line for the first time, it would be a whole different race...

lBEY3sfp

LAP     1/3        POS       16/20
ENERGY  94%       TIME   00'39"455
              LAP TIME 1 00'39"455
                         +  02"422

{WC: 346}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 20:50:12 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

It seems Eva and Josh were destined to be BFF’s as they couldn’t seem to lose each other on the turns or the straight away. Both of their pokemon took advantage of the smooth straight away to pass a couple team with lower speed capabilities.

[break][break]

It was a wicked series of turns coming up. Fortunately, Torpedo was built well for these sorts of things but the rider? That’s a different story. She had to perfectly time her shift from left to right. A split second off and she would be flying off the pokemon and skidding across the water setting them sorely behind with little chance for recovery.

[break][break]

Much like Josh, she takes a deep breath and lets instinct take over to guide her and Torpedo through the obstacle ahead and towards the end of the first lap.

[attr="class","ooc"]

+ [break][break]

ucOCS5CI

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 1:29:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The timing on that final curve before the home stretch was brutal. In Josh's judgment, a whiplash-inducing turn like that had no business being on a course rated two stars. Whether or not he liked it, the curve was there. He ceded ground to Eva and Torpedo take the curve, trying to synchronize Snacker's timing with hers, only to get caught off guard by an injured-looking Dewgong and rider floating on the inside of the curve. "Whoa!" Josh cried as he tried to make a sudden adjustment. With the Dewgong and its partner simply floating on the inside of the curve, they looked hurt; the two floated around the curve's walls until the bounds was again marked with buoys, then floated to the inside of them. Nineteen racers remained.

It didn't work too well; Snacker sounded a loud roar as his underside, then his left fin, caromed off the curve's walls at high speed, and lost a big chunk of his momentum. Every collision hurt in terms of position, but that one hurt the Sharpedo physically, especially that left fin contact. He seemed eager to keep going and swim through it.

At least Josh was close enough to see Eva and Torpedo down the home stretch, though they were far ahead of him. She probably got a good look at a battle for fifth place ahead of her, two Lapras, an Eelektross, and a Sharpedo all swimming alongside one another within hundredths of a second. He heard a cacophony of exploding Aqua Jets from many racers as they crossed the starting line. He crossed the line almost four seconds after the Vaporeon leader did, bringing them to the second lap of the race.

Lap two was going to be quite different. He had the same drifty turns to navigate, but at much higher speed. It would make the timing for each drift substantially harder, but Josh knew Snacker had the capability to take those curve at almost constant Aqua Jet-powered speed. He learned into the Sharpedo's fin harder as the two crossed the line. "Snacker, Aqua Jet!"

The force behind explosion of water coming out of the Sharpedo's rear made even Josh flinch. Though there was a big gap between seventeenth and eighteenth place, the swift Pokémon made up time just through how potent his Aqua Jet was. He sped toward the first curve and started the Sharpedo's drift early. If his timing was right, he could pass almost everyone within a second of him and get right back in the race!

ESTEOegj

{WC: 432}
{PC: 5}

LAP      2/3      POS       18/19
ENERGY   71%     TIME   00'54"639
             LAP TIME 1 00'50"335
                      2 00'04"304
                        +  03"786
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 19:55:03 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

BOOSTER OK!

[break][break]

Time to party!

[break][break]

As an explosion of several AQUA JETS churned the water of the race way violently, Eva chose a different approach. While AQUA JET gave a good boost in the moment, AGILITY would allow Torpedo to hang on to the speed throughout the remainder of the race. She had plans for AQUA JET at the end.

[break][break]

Eva fell a little behind as she commanded Torpedo to use AGILITY. It was a slower increase in speed, but significantly noticeable as they approached the first turn. When the Aqua Jets began to fade, Eva would be there to close the gaps with Torpedo’s AGILITY.

[break][break]

Eva braces herself, ready to take on the turns at more dangerous speeds. Timing had never been so important!

[attr="class","ooc"]

+ [break][break]

S8_WetY8

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 23:17:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Perhaps Josh had been a little hasty in calling for AQUA JET the moment he crossed the line. While he was able to properly adjust his drift timing for the higher speed, he only did it just so, sliding across the waves on the course's outside line. He still gained a lot of ground, but no position; the Empoleon in front of him was not giving him a passing opportunity.

The front of the pack tightened up after the three long curves. Josh waved to Eva and Torpedo from the other side of the wall, seeing them surging past several Lapras that could not hold the turns well. There was a long straight stretch coming up; while it gave Josh a good opportunity to pass the Empoleon he was battling for 17th place, and maybe even the Blastoise in front of the Empoleon as well, the curve that did him in on the first lap was coming.

Josh had to be ready to release the pressure on Snacker's sides early, so they could slow down enough to not crash in the sharp S-curve that got him so far behind in the first place. The Sharpedo crested the next turn with a perfectly-timed right roll. Once he and Josh were level again, the racer released almost all forward pressure on his mount's main fin, gradually slowing to give him more time to react to the brutal curve he felt was out of place.

rTFZ7sBg

{WC: 242}
{PC: 6}

LAP      2/3      POS       18/19
ENERGY   59%     TIME   01'12"815
             LAP TIME 1 00'50"335
                      2 00'21"480
                        +  03"664
close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 17:35:21 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","evaa"]
[attr="class","pkmnBar"]

[attr="class","top"]

[attr="class","main"]

As expected, the initial bursts of AQUA JETS surge several racers past Eva, including Josh and his Sharpedo. The Barraskewda hates the feeling of being passed and Eva can feel his frustration beneath her feet. She reaches down to give him a calming pat on the head, trust the process. As long as they don’t make any big mistakes, their overall faster speed and room to improve that with an AQUA JET later could prove a fruitful tool.

[break][break]

The firs turn is a little iffy with their new speed. Eva almost loses her balance which slows them down a touch but the straight away allows them to pick back up speed, passing several of the larger pokemon that had trouble being nimble.

[break][break]

It takes concentration and skill to navigate this final and most difficult curve. Timing would be their savior or their downfall. It separated the skill from the luck in a race like this. Josh seemed to be doing well as the Sharpedo slowed to take on the turns with minimal difficulty. Their turn! Eva crouches down, bracing herself for the sudden shifts she’ll have to flop between to keep their balance and counter weight aligned to take the turns with ease.

[attr="class","ooc"]

+ [break][break]

aX9Irse8

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 2:32:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Coming up was the Drift Waterway's tightest turn. This curve had kicked Josh's butt last lap, and he wasn't going to make that mistake again. He tugged straight back on Snacker's reins and released his leg pressure on the shark a bit. In a swift one-two motion, he leaned sharply left, then right. A success! He managed to keep all of his reduced speed, the distant field in front of him becoming within reach as the two whipped past a Blastoise that ricocheted backwards off the sturdy course walls. His conservative approach didn't pick up a lot of raw position; he was still in 17th place, but the rest of the pack felt approachable if his execution was tight.

"Way to go, Snacker," Josh pat the Sharpedo gently as he rounded the final turn to the home stretch. "Now, let's give this last lap our all." With that, he squeezed the Sharpedo's sides again, holding Aqua Jet back this time. His plan was to use it immediately after this curve on the last lap. If he was too aggressive with it, he would risk a crash-out from exhausting the high-performance predator.

As the two coasted toward the starting arch at high speed, Josh took a peek at the scoreboard to see how Eva was doing. The image of the Blastoise he had passed was blinking red; it looked like those two were already in danger of crashing out, running on fumes. Near the top of the board, an image of the Professor and Torpedo were rapidly switching places with that of a Dragonair; he squinted to try to catch the battle for third place around three seconds ahead of him. He didn't have long, though; after this final straight stretch, the white flag was coming. it was crunch time.

a|G2HCrv

LAP      2/3      POS       17/19
ENERGY   52%     TIME   01'32"801
             LAP TIME 1 00'50"335
                      2 00'42"466
                        +  03"103

{WC: 299}
{PC: 7}