Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 3:16:50 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar

PETALBURG WOODS, ELISABETH FIORELLI'S COTTAGE

Moonlight filtered through heavy branches, illuminating 's way through the summer forest. Rather than being a serene nighttime walk, the shrill song of NINCADA filled the hot, sticky air, goading him closer to his destination.

He knew this path well, having traversed it many times in the past, and at the end of it he'd find 's woodland cottage. It was a place that had come to be a cozy hideaway when the whim struck him. That was partially the reason for his visit tonight, but not the only one.

A 1940 Krug in hand (only the best from one of Kalos's most prestigious Champagne houses), Barnaby would eventually find himself lightly rapping on Elisabeth's door. The hour wasn't too late - perhaps only about half past nine - so he knew she'd still be awake.

When she opened her door, he'd greet her with a tired smile and hold the bottle up for inspection. "Hope you're ready to celebrate."
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 3:37:42 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","elisatest"]
[attr="class","elisatestbody"]
The flower shop had closed abruptly today.[break][break]

The sky outside had bled to a searing scarlet before purpling into the incoming night as Elisabeth busied herself indoors, wiping off the surface of the tea table until it gleamed. An incessant buzzing of the Bug-type Pokemon outside served as the humming background music singing through the silence of her thoughts, which she pushed down further and further with each circling, agitated motion of the cloth in her hands. [break][break]

The sweltering summer heat was suffocating, and even as she left every window open, the lack of a breeze offered her no reprieve from its stagnant, boiling warmth. This soured her poor mood all the more, and even the cooling curtain of night air couldn't quite lift it from the depths to which it had plummeted.[break][break]

So when knocked, her first instinct was to ignore him. The incessant rapping on her door, however, ensured she could not.[break][break]

"We're closed," she said irritably as she pulled open the door, though the faintest surprise registered as she saw her dark-haired visitor for who he was: Bee. A brief silence fell as Elisabeth recalled the last time they had spoken, their Gracidea flowers blossoming as twin Shaymin crawled into their arms. [break][break]

It felt a lifetime ago, now.[break][break]

"Whatever you want, it's a poor time." [break][break]

Her voice utterly lacked its usual polite nonchalance, fully drained of the energy it took to feign interest in other's affairs. She looked blankly at the drinks in his arms, as if she couldn't recognize them for what they were.[break][break]

"And as it is, I'm in no mood to celebrate."
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

[attr="class","elisatestpkmn"]

[attr="class","elisatestcredit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisatest"]--accent:#df8c7d;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest b"]color:var(--accent);font:800 14px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestbody"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 1:01:59 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"That's too bad." Feigned disappointment dripped from every word.

"I'm actually in no mood to be put off, so you'll just have to humor me."

She could resist him, block his entry if she wanted. He highly doubted she would, though. This was their dynamic, after all: him being a pushy bastard, her pissily conceding. To a point, at least.

Barnaby hadn't quite pushed far enough to hit a firm boundary yet. There had been times when he'd come close: memories of scars long faded and and a kiss shared between them came to mind.

Confident she wouldn't deny him, Barnaby took one step past the threshold, smirking down at her as he moved into the quaint cottage.

"We can't let our new admin go uncelebrated, can we?" He asked flatly, unceremoniously making his way to the kitchen. He opened a few cabinets before finding what he was looking for; well, not truly, but universal wine glasses would suffice in the absence of proper champagne flutes.

The bottle of Krug was uncorked with a loud POP! and then generously poured into the two glasses.

"Shall we?" He handed her drink before motioning for them to settle in the living room.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 1:22:07 GMT
[nospaces]
Where his actions would have faced a scathing retort, instead Elisabeth remained stone-faced in the doorway, watching as made himself at home. Rifled through her cabinets. Continued prattling about something or other.[break][break]

Behind her, the open front door emanated a feverish warmth, its air sticky with heat and humidity. For that reason and that alone, Elisabeth ultimately closed it, latching the lock once more with a click. She leaned here against the wall, exhaling, before Bee's voice called her attention once more:[break][break]

"Shall we?"[break][break]

The way he smiled at her felt discordant. Like witnessing something out of another time and place, abruptly inserted somewhere it didn't belong.[break][break]

"If you like," Elisabeth said mildly, taking the wine glass from him and walking to the couch in the back of the cottage.[break][break]

Drinking seemed unwise, but it was a welcome alternative to talking.
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisatest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestbody"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 3:44:14 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Once they were comfortably sat on 's sole couch in her quaint living area, Barnaby would raise his glass and give a little toast.

"To our new admin!" He began, his tone less enthusiastic than what she might have expected. He sounded drained, sapped of his usual vitality. There was a hard edge there that wasn't normally present.

"You've come a long way since the Slateport slums, Elisabeth. Congratulations on your promotion. It comes well-earned."

With that he'd clink their glasses together and then take a generous swig of his own.

"How are you feeling about it?" In reality, she hadn't been apart of the organization for long. Added responsibility was both an honor and stressor in most cases. Was she happy about her rapid ascent?

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 4:39:36 GMT
[nospaces]
"Mm." The noncommittal answer was followed by a light shrug of her shoulders, distracted as they clinked glasses. "It is work. And I am nothing without my work. I suppose that is why I was promoted over others, as much as anything else."[break][break]

This hollow admission wedged itself between a sigh and another sip of champagne.[break][break]

Glancing over the rim of the glass, her eyes caught sight of his. Whatever strained enthusiasm Bee had brought with him into her home, she couldn't match it in kind. That didn't mean she resented his presence, exactly.[break][break]

Bee was right. They had both come a long way since her arrival in Hoenn, where she was an uncertain new recruit beside a dark-haired stranger in the Slateport slums. It was confounding, in a way: she was his superior now, when back then he had been the man she shadowed like a stumbling, newborn Deerling. Timid. Deferent.[break][break]

Untested.[break][break]

"My father used to have old-fashioned coupe glasses," Elisabeth said suddenly, apropos of nothing as she lowered her drink. "I think it would horrify him, to see me drinking champagne of this caliber from a wine glass."
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 2:27:03 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Work. It was something that consumed them both. They were similar in that way.

"Mhm." He mumbled his acknowledgment, but that was it.

Barnaby, in truth, didn't come here to talk about work, despite using it as an excuse to push his way in. In all honesty, he wasn't completely sure why he had actually sought out 's company on this hot summer night.

He hadn't been sleeping well lately. Flashes of the past bombarded the back of his eyelids every time he closed them. Memories, both good and bad, kept him awake into the early hours of the morning. Sometimes thoughts of the future did, too. Even now, if Elisa looked closely, she would see faintly dark circles under his eyes.

"The least of the horrors you've committed, I'm sure." The offhanded comment just slipped out, allowed only because of Barnaby's uncharacteristic weariness.

He looked up, his gaze meeting her own, but he didn't apologize. It was the truth, after all.

"Your father sounded like quite the optimistic man." Barnaby remembered what Elisa had said of him - about how he found light in the darkest of places. "I wonder what he would think of you now."

Would he be proud of her position as ROCKET Admin? Or horrified?

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 4:01:06 GMT
[nospaces]
"Nothing at all, I imagine. Given he's dead."[break][break]

Her eyes narrowed slightly, cutting towards Bee with a piercing sharpness. What little information she gave of herself had not been offered to Bee with the intention of being knifed in the back with it.[break][break]

The grief Elisabeth held about becoming who she was, in many ways, was the most intimate and private pain the woman possessed.[break][break]

And it was not for Bee to draw it out of her.[break][break]

She folded her hands in her lap, posture still as the eye of a gathering storm as she regarded him in silence. Several long, heavy moments weighted her pause before she spoke again:[break][break]

"You have a strange way of showing congratulations, mon loup. Any reason your fangs are bared today?"[break][break]

An unspoken warning laced through her eerily calm words, tense in its taut restraint.
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 4:32:29 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Mon loup. My wolf.

Tonight, it was an apt description for .

Ever since the events at Sootopolis City just a few days prior, he'd felt changed. He was unsettled. His metaphorical hackles on edge. Fangs bared, as Elisabeth said.

He knew why, too. Deep down. And those feelings scared him.

So, he pushed them away. Actively fought against them, even, and that manifested in the malcontent man sitting beside .

"A blessing in disguise, then." He muttered roughly, chugging the rest of his champagne and placing the glass on a nearby coffee table. When he leaned back into the couch he'd shifted slightly closer to her.

"I'm hungry, mon agneau." The words rumbled from deep within his chest, dark and predatory - bared teeth sinking into the flesh of her callout.

Then, Barnaby reached out. His palm cupped her neck, the thumb of his hand resting against her cheek. It was a firm grip, but not a forceful one. She'd played this game with him before...

Now it was his turn to bite first.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2022 5:18:39 GMT
[nospaces]
The uninitiated touch of his fingers on her neck caused her to flinch, Elisabeth's posture tensing as her shoulders hunched. Something familiar kindled within her at the transgression, like a poker stoking long-dormant embers to sparking.[break][break]

"Agneau?" A pale hand snapped around his wrist to arrest him in place with an iron grip. Her lilting Kalosian sneered out: "C’est à moi que tu parles?"[break][break]

This was not a pastoral scene in the Petalburg Woods. It was no moment of tender vulnerability discovered through the gentle entwining of bodies, nor the idle caress of fingers through hair, nor a thoughtless kiss with lips soft as rose petals.[break][break]

He had seen her that day as a lamb, but she had her own fangs, too.[break][break]

"You forget yourself," Elisabeth spat as she swatted him away, incensed as she moved to stand. The thinly veiled fury simmering beneath her façade began to emanate from her every word, hissing out like steam. "Sortir. Leave."[break][break]

Before we do something we both regret.
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 4:36:54 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Had he truly expected this approach to work? Unconsciously, he knew she wouldn't acquiesce so easily. Uninvited touch had already scarred him once before.

Yet, he wanted to bare her teeth. Barnaby always preferred to see that fire in her eyes. The lamb extinguished in the blaze of a wolf's fury.

"Have I?" His sharp retort came out as a low hiss. Barnaby retracted his hand after it was swatted away, but used it to push himself off the couch in the same movement.

"Trust me, Elisa, I haven't forgotten how you kissed me with those insolent lips of yours."

No, this was not their idyllic streamside rendez-vous. He was not the same man now as he was then, and she was not the same woman. Hoenn's calamitous misfortunes had sought to that.

"Don't pretend that was enough for you."

Despite her enraged command, Barnaby made no move to leave. In fact, he stepped closer to her, breaking any sense of reasonable proximity that had been there before.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 5:35:17 GMT
[nospaces]
His approach was like the dangling of a match to a pile of dry, dead wood.[break][break]

When it finally ignited, all the last of her inhibitions burned.[break][break]

"What happened to being content with my time?" she whispered mockingly into his ear, a single finger tracing his cheek. At this dangerous closeness, even breathing itself became something intimate. "Which of us is the one pretending, Bee?"[break][break]

Nails hooked into the loose folds of his shirt like thorns, dragging him closer to her as her own emerald eyes insisted on his cobalt gaze. There was no tenderness in the way they held him there, no softness to be found.[break][break]

Only the flames of raw, unmet need.[break][break]

She pinned him against the wall in a swift, sudden motion: a reversal of yet another doomed encounter in those damned woods, where his hand had pressed against her mouth, shielding her from the Emboar that rampaged through the forest. The way Elisabeth had screamed and scarred him then spoke of something feral, something wild.[break][break]

And when her mouth devoured his, now, it was with all that same primal instinct. [break][break]

In her mind, the man in front of her had offered himself as a willing pyre. Something to immolate the sins of her past upon, to cast away the festering resentments that had built up inside of her like so many rotting leaves and branches. [break][break]

Even for a woman who so feared fire, she understood nature enough to know one thing.[break][break]

Wildfires purged.
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 2:43:04 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Playing pretend was apart of 's daily life. Something that he performed effortlessly because it had become so engrained in his character.

Now, however, he wasn't playing.

's rough embrace was returned with equal enthusiasm. He didn't respond to her antagonisms, didn't acknowledge the hypocrisy of it all, only met her ravenous touch with heated passions of his own.

This was what he wanted. This was what he came for: a distraction, anything to take his mind off the overwhelming feelings that had overtaken him since that day at Sootopolis. Feelings that had been building since long before that, even.

But... each successive kiss was more hollow than the last. Where Barnaby expected warmth and blessed diversion, he found only reminders of him.

Barnaby tried to ignore it. Truly, he did. He grabbed for Elisabeth's body with every intention of following through with his initial purpose for venturing into these woods so late into the evening. His left hand found the crook of her knee and hitched it around his waist, pulling her into him. Fingers traced up higher along her leg to skin newly exposed by her upturned dress. However...

... Flames of desire were no match for the ones that had caused the disfigurement he felt there.

The puckered, irregular skin that made up her scarred thigh was the last tactile input needed to jettison his resolve to continue their entanglement.

This felt wrong.

"Elisabeth—" He pulled back, breathless. "Wait."

Remorse. Guilt. Confusion. A cocktail of emotions with a vise-grip on his heart.

Why did he think this would work?

"... I shouldn't have come here." Barnaby couldn't meet her eye. Instead, he released her leg and made to move toward the door.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,384 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 3:39:48 GMT
[nospaces]
TW: Allusions to Sexual Trauma.
[break][break]

In this moment, as he met her need in kind, stopped being Bee to her. [break][break]

Instead, he became yet another faceless man in a sea of them that she had known, and through this yet another means to a hollow, unsatisfying end. [break][break]

If he wasn't Bee, then Elisabeth could pretend she wasn't herself, either. That she was a stranger surrendering to her own weakness and need, and whatever collateral damage ensued from the fallout could simply be denied, buried, and left to rot.[break][break]

Elisabeth loathed this part of herself, that pretended as well as Bee did.[break][break]

She despised the way her mind willingly closed itself off, its frantic thoughts strangling themselves like flowers choked by thorns, as her body demanded things her heart was afraid to give her.[break][break]

And she resented that there had been a part of her, small and quiet, that had longed for this again in a different way. That Bee had seen that part of her in the Petalburg Woods, and that she had ultimately rejected whatever tenderness he might have offered her in that moment.[break][break]

Because he had seen her that day in the Slateport slums, her cruelty unveiled in all its ugliness.[break][break]

Because he had seen the rampaging Emboar that had unraveled her into a frightened girl again, helpless and terrified.[break][break]

Because he had seen her without the walls that she had taken years to build for herself, and beyond them, how she ached so much to not be alone.[break][break]

He knew her.[break][break]

He knew her, and that frightened Elisabeth more than anything in the world. [break][break]

How could she believe in the purity of Bee's friendship, or in his sincerity, or in his supposed lack of ulterior motives? The risk was too great, if she was wrong.[break][break]

And she'd been wrong so, so many times.[break][break]

Something in Elisabeth had silently decided she would only trust Bee when he became a monster that she recognized, and he had finally given her what she wanted.[break][break]

"Elisabeth--"[break][break]

Was she still this painfully afraid of being known by someone?[break][break]

"Wait."[break][break]

Why was she still punishing herself?[break][break]

"... I shouldn't have come here."[break][break]

Only as he disentangled himself from her did Elisabeth realize where his touch had left her. The burn scars on her thigh whispered of other evenings like this one, of hands that had held on covetously tight rather than shirk away.[break][break]

"Bee," she started to explain, but no further words came.[break][break]

Because he was Bee again.[break][break]

Because she was no good at pretending, in the end.[break][break]

Elisabeth crumpled and fell to her knees, cradling her head in her hands as her chest rose and fell with shallow breaths. When she glanced up at him, she saw him through a curtain of golden hair: the receding silhouette of his back as he approached the door.[break][break]

"I'm sorry," she whispered, to herself, to him. "I'm sorry."[break][break]

As always, in this moment, she showed Bee more weakness than she'd ever meant to.[break][break]

Elisabeth buried her face in her hands, and cried.
[break][break]

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit.[break]
- Post-DotDD.

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
petals on the floor
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2022 2:16:49 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He couldn't look back. Not when he heard her crumple to the floor. Not even when she began to quietly weep.

His grip on the front door handle tightened as her distress carried across the room. The sounds were like spectral hands, grasping at his guarded empathy, tugging at his conflicted heart. Barnaby willed himself to exit the cottage, to ignore those plaintive cries, rationalizing that whatever upheaval had overtaken was no concern of his.

And yet, his legs failed him. They neither pushed forward nor backpedaled. For a solid thirty seconds all he could do was stand there, gritting his teeth in indecision.

"I'm sorry."

Her whispered admission was enough to tip the scales. He couldn't leave her. Not like this. Not when she was so obviously broken. His own brokenness aside, she needed him in this moment.

With a deep sigh, shifted around and returned to the quaint living area where Elisabeth lay crying into her hands. He knelt down to her level and spoke softly:

"Don't apologize. I'm the one at fault."

Barnaby extended a hand for her to take, if she chose to. "Come now, let's get you off this floor." Should Elisabeth decide to place her tear-stained hand in his, he'd help her to her feet and back onto the couch.

Whatever roaring flame had been built between them was extinguished by those tears; the ground razed, prime for new growth.