awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 2:38:42 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Its been months since the Littleroot Fire, and still things weren't rebuilt?! Part of the problem was the remote area. Even Oldale town was fairly small and remote, but they've been struggling to get supplies. Oliver had arranged for supplies to be brought in via his Dragonite, but he had a helper as well, in the form of Josh Devlin, the racer, minor going major League Gym Leader he'd met at the party. Somewhat of a party...Ranger's meeting, whatever you wanted to call it. Part of a new initiative to provide much needed relief to populations that's been under siege from Rocket. He really wanted to be wherever the frontlines were, but relief was just as important.

His fast dragon flew above everything with a shipping container, making everyone gasp. Yet, the big guy just flew gently down on the designated area. That was one. One more to go, plus whatever his helper was bringing in. His faithful friend zoomed off towards Slateport for the second container. Opening it up with a key, it revealed lumber, electrical supplies, plumbing supplies, and more...basically the means to repair and rebuild homes and businesses. There were even a few small appliances in there. The second one would have larger appliances, including large coolers for the local grocery store. Hopefully Josh was bringing in food for the relief effort. There was a rather large woman named Mrs. Toral there already set up and ready to get to cooking with volunteers. Contractors were already going through the container and designating where the supplies would go. And Ollie let them to it. So long as there wasn't conflict, he figured the locals would know best. 

Dawn of a New Day Valor Prompt Fire Fighters
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 6, 2022 7:08:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh felt bad for the residents of the village of Littleroot. They already had to deal with expensive groceries due to their remote location in Hoenn, and now, a huge fire had decimated swaths of the otherwise quiet town. The Pokémon Lab in the area made it popular for new Trainers, and being away from the hustle and bustle of big cities made it a popular retirement destination for the elderly. With so much of the town's commercial district having gone up in flames, food was a big concern; families often had to drive to the larger Oldale Town just to get groceries.

Luckily for its residents, Josh had the perfect Pokémon to help with this job; a massive food drive had taken place in Petalburg City, and it was his job to deliver it to a Littleroot Town that was in dire need. He would have preferred to have the food drive in his Gym's hometown of Mauville, but even at the grueling pace his Pokémon could maintain, it would be over a two hour ride one way to get from there all the way to Littleroot. Petalburg was still not close; even at the highest speeds his Pokémon could comfortably run at while hauling freight, it would still be over an hour-long ride. And Josh's Pokémon were fast.

Even the racer was getting a little saddle sore as he arrived in Littleroot Town, his six Pokémon lining up near Mrs. Toral:. He introduced them one by one: Saber, the Manectric Josh was also riding; Braver, his Arcanine; Craggro, his Hisuian Arcanine; Aslan, his Pyroar; Crash, his Boltund; and finally, Nitro, his Gogoat that had cleared Hoennian customs at the beginning of the month. All of them had harnesses rigged to their saddles, each one of them connected to a cart containing an entire pallet of non-perishable food items. "This enough for you, Oliver?!" Josh waved from the back of his Manectric, the Ranger in his new red uniform - an upgrade from the one he wore to the dinner.

{WC: 346}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Braver        Arcanine       Good
Craggro       H!Arcanine     Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Crash         Boltund        Good
Nitro         Gogoat         Good
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
Pain makes you stronger, heartbreak makes you wiser, and fear makes you braver
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 2:01:04 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Luckily, Oliver didn't have to wait long. The caravan came with quite a bit of fanfare. It looked like the food drive was a huge success. Mrs. Toral cooed over the Arcanine and other Arcanine, wanting an Arcanine playdate or something. Either way, the round woman took charge of the food. Smiling at the ranger, he nodded. "Looks like you got quite the haul. We should probably work on logistics for a food drive from Slateport or Mauville...Dragonite is great for that if everything is secured quite well." And that was the key word...secured. Speed was all good and all, but if the supplies you were delivering broke and damaged to beyond repair, then it was all for not.

It didn't take long for Dragonite to show up with another shipping container. As soon as he sat it down, the main coordinator came in, opened it up, and started wheeling out appliances. Overseeing everything...the smell of food soon attracted his attention. Mrs. Toral was evidently known to be an extremely good cook. Two of her boys were out on an adventure, with one having earned his first gym badge, and the youngest one having earned two badges. Huh. Kind of funny that the younger one was more successful in that regard. Anyways, he looked at Josh. "Wanna get some food before we make the rounds to see where and how else we can help?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 7:39:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I did!" Josh smiled, giving both his Arcanine a pet for their job well done, being careful not to cut himself on Craggro's sharp, rocky "fur." He didn't know what to call the grey, fluff-shaped substance that flew from the Hisuian Arcanine's body. "There's actually a couple more pallets back in Petalburg, but I need a rest first." At the mention of his new hometown, Josh loved the idea of a food drive there. "I wanted to organize one there, but Mauville and Slateport are just too far. It's over a two-hour ride one way, even as fast as my Pokémon are. Plus, the speed limit out here is a lot higher," the racer laughed. He would have preferred an unpaved road like Route 107 that didn't have marked speed limits, but they were not conducive to hauling freight; ergo, Petalburg was the best option.

"I actually have a Dragonair, Oliver," Josh replied at the mention of Dragonite hauling freight by air, "but I plan to keep her a Dragonair. She's not quite as fast and strong as a Dragonite, but I like the more precise control. Plus, there's just something amazing about being able to jump from sea to sky and back without a care in the world."

When prompted about food, Josh's entire team perked up; he had to feed them, as well! They had just completed a grueling run about double the length of a marathon in about a quarter of the time even the best human runners in the world would be able to complete such a colossal feat. Pokémon were truly incredible creatures. "I'd be down for some lunch!" Josh slid down from his Manectric's back. As much as he enjoyed riding his Pokémon, long and fast rides like that were rough on his rear. And to a lesser extent, his back.

{WC: 311}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 16:09:12 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
That was fair, but in Ollie's mind, the guy still made good time. Josh mentioned his Dragonair, and for some races, Ollie could understand the wish. "For multi-obstacle races, yeah, Dragonair would be a better fit. Dragonite is a strong swimmer too, but not as strong as its pre-evolutions, nor can it dive near as deep. I didn't care one way or another with mine...he just did to protect me from some particularly strong Rocket members by Blackthorne's mountains." Sometimes battles had a way of making a pokemon make the choice. Not everything was controlled by the trainer. The second you think you're in control, nature has a way of showing you that you're not.

Oliver chuckled a bit when everyone perked up. Mrs. Toral wasn't just concerned about people though, she also made some hand baked Pokemon Treats, delivered by her own Arcanine and Gardevoir. The round woman unpacked that and practically shoved them into Josh's arms. "Don't forget to feed your team! Especially those adorable Arcanine!" She also shoved some treats into Ollie's arms to feed his Dragonite. After making sure he was fed, the red head joined his compatriot to the line of volunteers and victims. The woman was a master at what she did...he half wondered if her boys were doing okay away from home.

"About how long of a rest do you plan on having before getting round two? Do you need some help?" Dragonite would be pretty good at at that, as would Bravary for that matter. Not that he was in any real hurry to get supplies, this was a good most of the day job. Not even counting the little extras to help out here and there.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2022 3:58:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I just like Dragonair's versatility," Josh added as he sat down to have lunch, reminiscing with Oliver about the first time he rode Resheph while she used Extreme Speed. "There's truly nothing like it. The ground beneath being an incomprehensible blur, shooting past even the biggest and fastest birds in the sky...it's something I'll never forget." He conveniently left out the part where he was frightened to his very bones, but details. Minor details.

While Mrs. Toral's lunch was simple, her bologna and cheese sandwiches same off the portable grill looking gooey and scrumptious. There was a cooler full of small cups of yogurt that had fruits at the bottom. Having taken his fair share, he listened to Oliver's story about the trouble Team Rocket had caused him in Blackthorn City. "I have a bone to pick with Team Rocket, too. Wait, Blackthorn? You're from Johto, too? Do you remember when Team Rocket took over the radio tower in Goldenrod? I think that was seven or eight years ago." It was a memory that both haunted Josh and drove his anger toward Team Rocket to this very day.

"This was when I was still a Pokémon Trainer taking the Gym Challenge. I was on the way home from Olivine City after taking a tough loss at the Gym there. Never ended up getting the Badge there. Team Rocket basically took over the whole north half of the town, where my family's house was. We got displaced, and they got captured making sure I escaped." He paused to finish his sandwich. "I even made regional news - I was the teenager that helped Goldenrod's law enforcement secure the tower and got my family back. Ever since then, and ever since I came back to Hoenn, I've wanted to do nothing more than see those %&@$ers burn." And if Oliver was paying close attention, he might have been able to hear a low mumble, "And I know Raikou's going to help me do it."

"I'm still a little sore from the long ride," Josh replied to Oliver's question about how long he wanted to rest. "Can we do stuff around here for oh, a half hour or so?" He smiled when he heard Oliver wanted to help. "Strictly speaking, I can handle it, but the company would be appreciated. It's a long ride, especially two ways."

{WC: 395}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 2:28:02 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Oliver nodded. "Blackthorn born and raised. That was when I was still undergoing ranger school." That was hair raising to say the least. It wouldn't be long before Rocket would attempt a full scale assault. And he would be on the frontlines, where his Dragonair had would evolve into Dragonite, and a month later, his Rufflet evolving into Bravary. But his anger was more towards his parents having been killed by them. And the sheer amount of orphans that went to his sibling's orphanage because of them. Seemed Josh had some similar reasons. Well, at least his parents were alive.

The red head probably could go into his own story, but they also had a job to do. The younger ranger suggested a half hour or so. But also appreciated the company for the two way trip. "Sounds good." He was more than happy to at least give the guy some company. Once they were done, off for a walk to see what they can do. It was mostly just getting some supplies for various people. Or trying to find someone to take a look at an issue. Before they knew it, it was time to go for round two. Ollie's Dragonite was already putting on his riding gear, ready to Oliver to get on. Taking a pair of goggles, Oliver also took out a pair of ear pieces for them to talk to each other.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 8:58:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Oliver was a fellow Johtonian. No wonder the two resonated with one another so well. "I actually haven't been with the Rangers long myself; just a couple of months, but apparently it's my calling. I've done in two months what it takes most Rangers to do in a year." While his focus within the Rangers was niche, he was extremely good at working within his niche. Today's mission wasn't exactly within that niche, but it used enough related skills for him to get it done in an efficient manner. "I need to take a quick trip to the Pokémon Center. Since we only have a couple pallets left, I want to bring a few fresh Pokémon." He detached the drag harnessing from his Manectric before riding to the closest Pokémon Center, swapping out a few of his Pokémon, and returning.

With the previous pallets having harnessing attached to them for Pokémon-based transport, Josh simply left their bases at the delivery site. Worst case, he could arrange for them to be shipped back to Petalburg. If he was headed to Petalburg after he was done with the second round of deliveries, he would just take them there himself. They would most likely just get shipped there, given how precious Josh's time was.

Josh hopped off his Manectric, then swapped out the electric-type for Resheph, a playful-looking Dragonair all suited up for a rider to hop on. The number of ride Pokémon the Leader had was staggering. It made perfect sense, though; after all, Oliver was probably well aware of his status. They had met at the fete, and many other Rangers had congratulated him on his promotion. He climbed atop the serpentine dragon and held the Pokémon's reins for balance and support.

"Oliver, can your Dragonite use Extreme Speed?" Josh asked. "If so, we could probably make it to Petalburg in a matter of minutes rather than an hour on land. If not, flying is still a lot faster than running." The prospect of riding during Extreme Speed was a scary one. Josh had only ridden his Dragonair during the blistering fast technique a few times. He was slowly getting better at controlling it, but it was still frightening to go that fast.

{WC: 379}
{PC: 4}

Resheph       Dragonair      Good
Blitz         Luxray         Good
Pazuzu        Pidgeot        Good
close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2022 23:57:15 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Seemed like Josh hadn't been a ranger for long. Well, he certainly didn't act like it. The lad was a natural for it, and seemed to have the heart for it as well. "Sounds like you're a natural. And maybe even a little ambitious. But don't forget to have your fun days to just relax and let off some steam. Going full throttle will only wear you down." Ollie was ambitious himself, but his boss back in Johto also warned him about taking on too much too fast, and to pace oneself. Bless that man. Hopefully this barrier can be taken care of and he can talk to the old coot.

Oliver nodded at the man to go do whatever he needed. Upon returning, Josh asked him if his Dragonite knew Extreme Speed. "He doesn't, but if he can make it to and from Slateport in a half hour, the short flight to Petalburg would still only take five minutes tops." Dragonite was a fast flyer. He really didn't need Extreme Speed to get to anywhere fast. He could probably get to everywhere in Hoenn in mere hours. But that was only if he was the only thing Dragonite was carrying. Oliver also always kept his riding goggles. It looked like Dragonite had his fill of food. And was ready to go!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2022 8:45:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Oliver made it sound so simple. Yes, burnout was a factor with him maintaining both Ranger and Gym Leader status. It was like working both a full-time job and a part-time job. He was too passionate about both to give up either one. He already had to give up his dream of professional racing, and he would pick giving that up any day over being able to make big differences in the lives of disaster victims, or even his everyday challengers. "No, I get it. It's why my Gym is only open the minimum number of hours required by Hoenn League protocols."

Josh's mind was blown when he heard how fast his Dragonite was without Extreme Speed. No wonder he preferred the Slateport route! "Did you say...five minutes from here to Petalburg? I don't think my Dragonair could get there that fast even if she was using Extreme Speed!" Josh's mouth was wide open. He knew Dragonite were fast, and it was making him reconsider either evolving Resheph or getting a Dragonite of his own. Perhaps he had built the thigh strength to where it would no longer be am issue. He slammed his racing helmet's visor down and stood next to the Dragonite that looked ready and raring to go, making sure the rest of his Pokémon were recalled if Oliver agreed to this. "Can I hop on behind you? At least for the trip there?"

{WC: 238}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Jun

Ollie
He/Him
June 29
Blackthorne City
Homosexual
Ranger
Cadet
awards
228 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun2
Oliver Shrakes
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 1:45:11 GMT
Oliver Shrakes Avatar
Josh seemed very impressed, which only served to make his Dragonite puff up. The man seemed very gobsmacked...and maybe reconsidering. Not that it would be a bad idea...but at the same time...evolving should be the Pokemon's decision, in Oliver's mind. At the suggestion, Oliver looked at Dragonite, who nodded. He could carry one of them, and then the other ride on his back. "Yeah, sure thing. May slow him down a tiny bit though." The red head would offer Josh the dragon's arms first, to be carried. Oliver didn't care much about how he rode, he was very used to it at this point.

Whatever the riding conditions would be, Dragonite would first do a short dash forward, the a quick upward jolt as he took to the skies. Then he would face Petalburg City, and fly-sprint towards it. He wasn't completely up in the clouds, but it wasn't like he was close to the treetops either. It actually took almost six minutes to get there in a straight shot. Dragonite slowed down and looked for the second round of the food drive. Spotting it, he would spiral down gently to let Josh go. Oliver also put his feet on solid ground. "So...did that get your heart pumpin, racing fan?" He gave the guy a teasing smile. Of course, in a an actual race, Dragonite would have to move slower so he could make the turns, but yeah...he was fast.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,051 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 4:37:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Thanks so much," Josh smiled, all too excited to clamber atop the Dragonite's back. The real reason he had never evolved Resheph is that Dragonite was awful at racing on Federation courses. They were notoriously difficult to control, especially at high speed. They were fantastic at distance travel, though, and were among the fastest Pokémon in the air. To get a good comparison, Josh sent out Resheph, his Dragonair, to fly alongside Oliver's Pokémon.

The less-than-smooth takeoff was no surprise; rather than gently rising into the air like a Dragonair, the Dragonite's takeoff felt more like Pazuzu's, Slider's, or that of one of his other bird Pokémon, the thrust of the dragon-type's wingbeats lifting them into the air. Shortly after the Dragonite faced Petalburg City, Oliver's Pokémon put on the afterburners.

Josh lurched back hard, white-knuckled when he realized there was no back-of-the-saddle to help him absorb the impact. His thighs stiffened as they absorbed the force of the sacred Pokémon's acceleration. Behind him, he heard the telltale sound of draconic, purple energy enveloping Resheph, followed by a loud popping sound as she initiated EXTREME SPEED...except the sound was getting quieter, not louder.

The reality of just how fast Oliver's Pokémon was going set in. Oldale Town whipped past in a blur as the Dragonite's wings whirred from how rapidly they were beating to maintain such high speed. Furthermore, the species had tremendous stamina to maintain the high speed flight for this long. Even if this Dragonite was his Pokémon, he didn't dare attempt to make a turn without some kind of harness, lest he be wrenched off.

The racer's heart was pounding as the two touched down in Petalburg City, near where the rest of their delivery was. "Whoa, can they put on some speed," Josh carefully dismounted, his legs a little unsteady as he saw the purple comet that was Resheph fly in almost a full minute later. His jaw dropped. "That was really fun! You've convinced me on Dragonite. I'll have to catch one myself! While I wouldn't evolve Resheph, I do have a Dragonite from my days in Johto. Maybe once the barrier is lifted, I'll go back home and try to get him through customs." He sent out his two Arcanine once more, rigging the pallets to both his Pokémon via harness, similarly to how he delivered the first batch of food. "I think I have it from here. Thanks for all your help today, Oliver! You're a real pleasure to work with! Let's do it again sometime."

{WC: 432}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,923 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Fighting Fires
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2022 5:45:32 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: