Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 1, 2022 14:11:28 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]As the meteor grew ever larger and ever hotter in the sky, two camps began to form. The first were the ones who, in the face of the inevitable, accepted the hand they were dealt. There were no better plans than the League's, and that fact became more apparent with each day. Why fight it?[break][break]

And then there were the ones who refused to accept what the League had given them. Maybe they refused to give up on avoiding this monstrous possibility. Maybe they were cynics, believing the League was holding out on better. Or maybe, just maybe, they would never accept what the League had to say, and chose this as their avenue to be heard.[break][break]

Many spoke freely in the Blackwing Bazaar. With openness came dissent. With dissent came solidarity. Time and pressure metamorphosized their hopes, crystalizing them first into plans, and then into action. Some saw this as a last, desperate chance to make their voices heard. Others saw it as catharsis, a last, precious release before the end of all things.[break][break]

It was an eclectic band. Thugs and toughs rubbed elbows with bleeding hearts. Burnouts stood side to side with the ambitious. Yet with the meteor's approach inevitable, and the League's plan almost in motion, there was one thing that those who remained could agree on. If they didn't speak now, they'd never have their chance.[break][break]

Isaac had always been an outspoken participant at his bazaar. It was a shock to everyone when he said he couldn't attend.[break][break]

"I've already made too much of a name for myself out there. Something goes wrong, it could get traced back to me, to us, maybe even to here. Not risking that," he explained. " 'Sides. You guys wanted it. Planned it. Made it happen. Only one step left: own it. This one's your baby, just like this Bazaar's mine. So you all get out there and make me proud, okay?"[break][break]

A little bit of fast talk and a round of drinks on the house did wonders to get the heat off of him. A shame it was yet more half-truths. It wasn't his name he feared taking over the protests. It was Rocket's. That name warped everything it touched, demanding ownership wherever it tread; Pokemon, cities, and even movements. If he got involved, this wouldn't be an independent protest. It would be another front in Rocket's upcoming war.[break][break]

Yet the Bazaar was Isaac's baby, and he felt responsible for its people. Before the night was over, he'd left the Bazaar's patrons with a little parting gift to ensure their safety.[break][break]

To each, he had left a single Pokeball.[break][break]

[break][break]

Mauville. Of course they'd chosen Mauville.[break][break]

Isaac had lied. He knew, deep in his heart, that he couldn't leave well enough alone. While he didn't attend the protest himself, he perched himself atop a nearby building to monitor the situation.[break][break]

It was hard to blame him. When the whole meteor mess started, protests were frequent, quick, and painless. Those protests died out alongside the hope for any other exit. Now only the diehards were left, facing off with a League preparing for war. Tensions were high and patience was low on both sides, each believing Hoenn's very fate to hang in the balance.[break][break]

He wasn't surprised when the first shot rang out.[break][break]

High-pressure water stained in blood erupted from the back of one of the protestors. He staggered forward; one step to process what had happened, two to point a horrified finger at the League officers on the scene, and three to collapse.[break][break]

All hell broke loose. Vengeful protestors flooded over the boundary line, demanding absolution. Some of the officers protested that they had no idea what had happened, that no order was given, but their words fell on deaf ears. Actions spoke louder than words, and the dying man had been robbed of his chance at either.[break][break]

The two human waves crashed into one another. At the front of each were those who had been spoiling for a fight all along; officers waiting to take out their frustrations on acceptable targets and the spiteful damned who sought to bloody the League's nose before the end of all things. Behind them crested the protectors, those who had hoped not to fight but had just seen the other side throw down the gauntlet. Finally were the lost ones, confused as to why a fight had even started but dragged by the undertow.[break][break]

The simmering tensions had erupted. What started as a protest threatened to become a full scale riot. Yet through it all, Isaac kept to his silent vigil. Even as his blood boiled at perceived injustice, even as the people and Pokemon he cared for threw themselves into danger, even as he knew he had the power to turn the tides, he refused to move. He knew Rocket's presence, his presence, would only make things worse.[break][break]

If only he knew.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST / +

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2022 0:20:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was late morning, no more than two weeks before Meteno 99943 was slated to fall. The gravity of Josh's position as Gym Leader was starting to weigh on him. As far as the public eye was concerned, Mauville Gym Leader Josh Devlin was the face of the commercial hotspot of Hoenn. It came with a lot of roles to play. Those roles included combatant, teacher, mentor, officer, and one he wished he could have avoided.

Politician.

His position in the League gave him almost as much sway as the city's mayor. Some would even say he was the true mayor of Mauville City, given his ties to the regional government. It was a role he tried to downplay, leaving responsibilities of running the large municipality to the mayor and the city council. In the face of Meteno 99943, though, his connections to the League's inner circle, particularly with Councilwoman put him front and center.

It did not take terribly long for the protest to turn violent, a WATER GUN covered in blood spouting from the boundary line. This had escalated far too quickly. Police officers were starting to get overwhelmed. No sooner than a few minutes after the riots got bad, Josh got an urgent call on his Gym's phone line. He was helping a new intern with an audit at his Gym. "Just a minute, Cassidy," he said, holding a finger up as he listened to Mauville Dispatch's request for him to appear at the site of the protest. "Understood. Will be there as soon as I can." He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Cassidy, I'm sorry, but I'll need to let you go for the day. I'll call you within 48 hours."

Donning the racing suit that was his Gym Leader attire, Josh mounted his Pyroar, Aslan, and raced toward ground zero with complete disregard for municipal speed limits. This was an emergency, after all. Upon arrival, it was far worse than he had thought. There were already two dead and many others wounded. He dismounted Aslan, the two of them taking center stage. The Leader cleared his throat, then spoke into the microphone to try to get the crowd's attention. "This is your Gym Leader, Josh Devlin, speaking. I know you are all upset about how tight-lipped the League has been about the operation to repel Meteno 99943."

{WC: 395}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Janus         Espeon         Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good
Twilight      Absol          Good
Kokusho       Hydreigon      Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2022 23:43:04 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia understood why some people were against the League's plan for the meteoroid. Sending it to some other world to make it their problem, instead? Yeah, that definitely sounded awful by itself. But the other world was full of hostile invaders, so was it really that bad? And that claim that sending the meteoroid to this other world would destroy every other world or whatever made no sense! Even without all that... what else were they supposed to do? Just sit there and let the meteoroid destroy their home and everything they loved? If there was a better option, the League would be using it. But this was all they had to work with, and that was that.

[break][break]Protests had been fairly common back when this whole mess started. Most of them had died out when they realized there was no other option other than "lay down and die," and most people weren't too keen on that one. But there were still some who held out for one reason or another, and they were a lot more extreme than the sign-wielding groups that usually gathered peacefully outside League establishments. They pressed against the boundary line despite the presence of officers, shouting demands at anyone who dared get too close. When they boiled over, they started attacking people and damaging property with no regard for anyone but themselves and whoever was on their side. Julia just couldn't understand what they hoped to accomplish with that. All they were doing was making the other side angry; how was that supposed to help their cause at all?

[break][break]That was the question she asked herself again when she saw the mob forming in Mauville. She'd gone to the city for some racing practice, only to find the streets clogged with tension threatening to brew into anarchy. Just listening to what they were yelling about made it obvious what they were here for. It already looked like a bad scene with protesters spitting vitriol over the boundary line and officers struggling to maintain order.

[break][break]Where was Josh? This was his city; shouldn't he be doing something? Maybe Julia was overestimating how much a Gym Leader could do, but she still put on her holo-sunglasses and tried to connect to Josh's private line.

[break][break]"Josh—I mean, Leader Devlin, are you there?" No answer. Her mouth tightened into a frown. Where the heck could he have been at a time like this? Standing here wondering that wouldn't help; Julia had to do something in this situation. She wasn't an officer, but she still had a duty to the region, and she wasn't one to take that lightly.

[break][break]She sent out Chester and climbed aboard her trusty partner. She thought about putting on her Ranger badge and armband but decided to wait until she was closer to the officers; she didn't want to get swarmed on the way.

[break][break]"Ma'am, please stay back," one of the officers said once she'd weaved around the crowd to get close enough.

[break][break]"I'm Ranger Julia Davis," she shouted over the crowd, flashing her badge. "Is there anything I can do to—"

[break][break]And then the first shot rang out, not with a boom but with a much quieter rush of water. The following scream of pain from one of the protesters and the bloody water spurting from his back were the true heralds of this tragedy. Julia could only stare, eyes wide with shock, as the man staggered forward, pointed an accusing finger at the League officers, and then collapsed, leaving only a stunned silence to blanket the scene.

[break][break]And then all hell broke loose, ripping that blanket away with screaming violence.

[break][break]Julia held tight to the reins as Chester backed away, just as aghast as his trainer. What... What was this? Julia had to have seen that incorrectly, right? There was no way the League would open fire like that, right? Some officers shouted that they didn't know what had happened, that no order had been given, but none of the protesters would listen. Instead, they surged forward to take out their anger on the officers... and, now that they knew she was on the League's side, Julia.

[break][break]A Poké Ball at her waist popped open, and Spot materialized in front of her and Chester, arms crossed defensively. His body was tense, agitated by all the hostile auras around him, but he held his ground to protect his trainer. Julia's heart pounded, pumping bile into her stomach with every beat. This wasn't right. Had she missed something? Had there been a sneak attack against the officers that had prompted the shot to be fired? Because there was no way, just no way, that they shot a man for no reason. Was he even going to be okay?

[break][break]Julia was a Ranger. She was out of her element, but she still had her duty to protect Hoenn. That included the people who disagreed with the League. Someone was hurt, and if Julia could do anything to help—

[break][break]But the protesters were already sending out their Pokémon against Spot. Some even surged forward and tried to attack Julia herself, only to be repelled by a shove from Spot or a peck or bite from Chester. She could tell her Pokémon were holding back so as not to truly hurt anybody, but even still, she could feel the tensions rising ever higher. To them, this was just more reason to riot.

[break][break]Finally, Julia found her words again: "Please stop this! That man needs help! This is only going to hurt more people!" But all that was met with were insults and more attacks. Already, Spot looked exhausted from the onslaught, but not once did he strike back. Julia was going to give him so many hugs for that later.

[break][break]A familiar voice sounded over the nearby speakers. "Josh!" Julia shouted, though she doubted he could hear her. Oh, no, he didn't know what had this crowd in such a frenzy, did he? She recalled Spot back into his Poké Ball and immediately shouted "Run!" to Chester. The Dodrio didn't even hesitate before pulling away from the crowd and sprinting toward where Josh was speaking.

[attr="class","juliatag"],

[attr="class","juliapokes"]

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia i] color: #d49736; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliaw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julia span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliapokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 0:38:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Indeed, the appearance of a Ranger astride her mount may not have been what the people of the mob were hoping to see at that very moment. To see a branch of the League's law enforcement show up, literally positioned in a fashion that put her above them, only further caused their boiled blood to spike.[break][break]

To Julia, this would all seem like being surrounded by a furious mob. Hell, Spot most likely felt the same; hostile auras had a tendency to flare up the hardest, and as a Pokemon he bore the stronger brunt of the attacks. Yet the darkness of a Pokeball offered a chance for quiet contemplation. Perhaps Spot would notice that, whereas the auras of the crowd were bristling with hostility, the auras of the Pokemon were a touch more sedate. It was almost as if they were holding something back.[break][break]

A rare few even seemed to regard Spot with familiarity.[break][break]

A shame the crowd did not give Julia the same luxury. They roiled in dissent at her request, their words blending into one another as they all tried to make themselves heard. "League help? First time for everything!" "Too late to offer!" "Should've thought of it before you shot him!" "Why should we stop? So they can gun the rest of us down, too?" "We can help better than you ever could!" "Big talk on your high horse like that!" "Help him? What, to a jail cell or something?" "Get your pigs to stop hurting people first!" "Ain't it great how they start shit and cry about it?" "Like you even care!"[break][break]

It was like a swarm of angry Combee. And it only got worse when Josh swooped in like he knew what was going on. The calls and responses, the raised issues, the battle cries, no longer could they be discerned from one another. Instead, so many started speaking up that it turned into a pure, unrelenting wall of rage and noise. Only a single shout rose loud enough to break through the wall; "Fuck the meteor! They shot us!"[break][break]

The tensions were as waves; rising, breaking, crashing down on the poor, unfortunate souls caught within, and then ebbing away so everyone involved could lick their wounds. By the time Josh had arrived, the first skirmish had largely settled back to either side of the boundary line, but between his arrival and his words it seemed ready to fire up anew.[break][break]

"Sir, we don't know what they're talking about." started a younger officer, clearly nervous about how quickly tensions had flared up. "We didn't get an order, and everything just-."[break][break]

"LIAR!" A roar of from the crowd cut her off, one of the protestors glaring daggers at Josh. "I saw it with my own eyes! Water punched clean through his back. Dead before he even hit the ground. Jack Pile - don't forget his name, and don't you dare act like it didn't happen."[break][break]

Another voice from the crowd joined him, pointing a finger at Julia. "The Ranger saw it! She was just standing there on her bird, letting it happen!" she called. "C'mon! Tell him! Tell him you saw Jack Pile die!" By now, the crowd was chanting Jack's name, as if hammering a nail into the heads of their perceived oppressors.[break][break]

One of the older officers on the scene sighed, shaking his head. "Forget it. Nothing's gonna come from letting these crooks ramble. And they're sure as shit not chanting for the private they trampled. Can we just break this up already, before they fuck anything else up?"[break][break]

The whole situation was a mess. A single shot, and years of tension, had turned into a whirlwind of violence that just threatened to keep propagating itself. By now, both sides had taken quite a beating, and yet they still stared each other down with an inexhaustible hatred. Were they just waiting for mutually assured destruction at this point?[break][break]

[break][break]

He wished desperately that he could swoop down from the skies and end this all. He wished that, with a word, he could send everyone home. He wished he could turn back the clock and erase the harm that had already been dealt. And yet. And yet. And yet.[break][break]

The king continued to dwell under the mountain.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 21:23:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Aslan's presence was a sign of the Gym Leader's strength. It took a lot of talent, patience, and at times, sheer force of will to train a Pyroar for casual riding, let alone racing. That the Pyroar was so well-behaved on stage was inspiring to some. For others, though, that did nothing to sway their opinions on the League's handling of the crisis. Today, it was his job to try to persuade the skeptics. "While I am not at liberty to go into specifics, I can assure you that the Council have made the best decision based on the information they have available to them. They have their own lives to think about, too; if they're wrong, they, too, are in the same boat as the rest of us. But I am confident that their decisions will lead to Hoenn not only thwarting the impact, but becoming--"

A single gunshot devolved the scene into pure pandemonium. Aslan let out a NOBLE ROAR in an attempt to scare away those who were less adamant on causing trouble. It did disperse some of the crowd, but it only riled up the extremists among the crowd more. Anything the protesters--no, now rioters--could find was being used as a weapon. Flagpoles with the Hoennian flag attached to them, shields dropped by already-injured officers, and even Pokémon were being instructed to attack the line of Officers and Rangers that were keeping Josh, and now Julia, safe.

While he didn't hear Julia's voice, Josh did recognize Julia's Dodrio, Chester, charging toward the stage. It was quick, too. He had raced against Chester before and knew just how fast the Flying-type was. By the time Julia had reached the Gym Leader, he had cut his speech and was astride Aslan, ready to flee the scene at the moment the police cleared a path for him. Unfortunately, the district police were overwhelmed. "Julia?!" he asked with a surprised and concerned look on his face. "What are you doing here?!"

The Gym Leader ignored the rioter's scathing remarks about this Jack Pile; if anything, it would be a name to forward to Law Enforcement. "I'm calling Law Enforcement. We need to break this up before they break the line. If that crowd gets past them, I'm a dead man walking." He covered his other ear as Dispatch answered. "Dispatch, this is Mauville Leader Devlin. I was speaking at a peaceful protest in North Mauville at the intersection of 87th Street and City Line Road. It's turned violent, and district police are overwhelmed. I need an APB put out across Mauville, Verdanturf, and Slateport. We need all the help we can get, immediately." His breathing and heart rate escalated as the line went silent after acknowledgment. "Thank you." He breathed a sigh of relief. "Help is on the way, but it's going to take them a while to get here. Julia, help cover for me until they get here. Please."

{PC: 2}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
Aslan          Pyroar          Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
Bladestorm     Skarmory        Good
Twilight       Absol           Good
Kokusho        Hydreigon       Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 1:56:09 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia looked around at all the shouting faces, desperately trying to sort out who was saying what or even what was being said, but all their words blended together into a tsunami of hate and vitriol. "We don't want anyone else to get hurt!" she shouted. "I don't know why the first shot was fired, but surely there's been some kind of misunderstanding!"

[break][break]One of the officers backed her up on that last point by saying there wasn't any order to fire. Julia fully believed him, of course, but why did it happen, anyway? Why did—?

[break][break]Jack Pile. One of the protestors shouted that Jack Pile had died before even hitting the ground, and another pointed an accusing finger at Julia, demanding that she tell them that yes, she'd seen Jack Pile die. Jack Pile. His name became an echoing chant, a symbol for these protestors to lean on. Jack Pile.

[break][break]Why did Jack Pile have to die?

[break][break]On the stage, Julia jumped off Chester and answered Josh in a wavering, uncertain voice: "I was headed into town when I saw the protest. I went to see if I could help, but... but then someone shot Jack Pile! I don't know why! I didn't hear any order, and they weren't even being violent! But it came from where the officers were, so they think it was them!"

[break][break]When Josh said he was going to call law enforcement, Julia wanted to stop him. "I don't..." she started, but she couldn't finish. Was it a bad idea to give the rioters more to get angry about? Or was it more important to get this broken up before anyone else got hurt... or killed? Arceus, Julia had watched someone get killed today. The realization made her stomach roil and her chest clench. The shouts of the crowd pounded against her skull, demanding justice and retribution. But they'd already trampled one of the officers to death. Wasn't that enough? Would anything ever be enough?

[break][break]Josh spoke to her again, making her inhale sharply as her focus was slammed back down to the present. Right. She needed to calm down. Nothing would come of just standing there thinking and nearly panicking. After a deep breath, she spoke:

[break][break]"I don't want to rile them up any more than they already are. I'll try to keep you and anyone else from getting hurt, but I don't wanna attack them if I don't have to." She furrowed her brow in thought, then looked at where Josh had been speaking to the crowd from. "I wanna say something to them. I dunno if it'll help, but I feel like I have to."

[break][break]She couldn't stop seeing these people as just that: people. People who were scared and hurt and felt betrayed and letting all that out in the wrong ways. If they had just been destroying property and attacking people for the sake of it, it would have been a different story. But one of their own had been shot first. That didn't justify their violence, but it did make Julia want to reach out to their more sensible sides.

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 7:02:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Josh pushed on with the party line on an issue that this protest had long, long stopped being about. Julia reached out with genuine kindness and worry towards a population that had abandoned any hope of the League offering such warmth to them. Both of their efforts were made with the best of intentions, and yet they fell on deaf ears. The protest had been whipped into sea of sound and fury, grabbing whatever they could get their hands on to prepare for round 2. With how they bristled and agitated, the officers were all too ready to respond in kind. The conflict erupting anew seemed inevitable.[break][break]

Then Josh began to radio for backup, and all hell broke loose.[break][break]

The protestors erupted into a mass of boos and jeers. "Bullshit!" "They started it!" some shouted, calling attention to what they felt was the unfairness of the situation. Others took a more antagonistic tone. "Ha! The gym leader's scared of us!" they laughed. "Guess running's all he's good for!" A few in the back, who had actually been watching with Julia with interest, found their faces falling. "Liar!" one shouted, her fellows joining in a chorus of renewed vigor.[break][break]

Yet even as they mobilized for war, they weren't the first to act. There wasn't a protest worth its salt that wasn't livestreamed nowadays, and this one was no exception. From his perch above the city, Isaac kept a bird's-eye view and digital ear on the action. And his stomach dropped when he heard Josh announce his intention. "Ex, you're on," he said as he cracked a Pokeball against the top of the building, calling a Rotom to attention. "Get through the air waves and kill that signal."[break][break]

There wouldn't be time to stop the call. But there may have been time to derail it. Ex Machina flashed an electrical salute, dashing into Isaac's phone and hopping across the 5G airwaves. Their destination; whatever means of communication Josh was using. Their goal; reroute the call, cutting off the ongoing one in the middle if need be, and redirecting Josh's plea for backup to a very confused pizza place. Isaac had no idea what level of tech Josh was using, or even if Ex Machina could redirect it in time. But he had faith.[break][break]

Unfortunately, any pizza-based sabotage would be left as knowledge between rivals. Officers were emboldened by the promise of support, and let out a rally of cheers for Josh. Some seemed relieved, hoping that this would finally be over. Others were all too ready to take the fight to their hated enemies, Pokemon and weapons alike at the ready. The protestors responded in kind, passing makeshift weapons and looted tools to the frontliners. Conflict had gone from inevitable to imminent, and the lines were devolving into mere suggestion.[break][break]

Isaac couldn't keep vigil any longer. If Josh was to try and shift the odds by this level of magnitude, he had to do his part to even the odds. From atop his perch, Isaac released two of his trustiest Pokeballs; Sunny, a nervous looking Crobat covered from head to toe in luminescent patterns, and Adrenaline, a studious Amoonguss that surveyed the battle from above.[break][break]

He scooped Adrenaline into his arms, and then slid onto Sunny's back. And then the king took off from the mountain.[break][break]

They would be heard far before they were seen. A twirl of Sunny's secondary winds would kick up a massive Tailwind behind him, a sonic boom echoing across Mauville City. Adrenaline turned to face the Tailwind, firing clouds of Spores right into the jetstream. The force of the winds repelled and dispersed them, turning what was normally a highly concentrated move into a wide, diffuse carpet of slumber-inducing spores.[break][break]

The effect was diluted enough to be below its usual potency. Josh and Julia, who had hung back from the worst of the fray thus far, would barely be stifling yawns. Yet after the clashes they had undergone, officers and protestors alike were tired to the bone. As spores carpeted the battlefield like freshly-fallen snow, officer after officer (and a few frontline protestors close enough to be caught in the crossfire) would start dropping where they stood.[break][break]

The protestors in the backline were confused at first. Some, relieved, joined their fallen compatriots in rest. Others scrambled up to the frontlines to drag their own back to safety, covering their mouths with the crooks of their arms to avoid succumbing. But the more aggressive of the protestors instead stopped to discuss what had just happened among themselves. "Now's our chance!" one shouted, grabbing a lead pipe off the ground and charging forward.[break][break]

Before he could make it to the fallen officers, he would find an unexpected obstruction in his path. Half of a blood-red Doublade smashed into the ground in front of him, embedding itself with enough force to crack pavement. The gung-ho protestor was left skidding to a halt, almost tripping over himself to avoid running right into the blade.[break][break]

The air above the Doublade was cast in shadow, growing larger and larger as its source descended from the sky. Isaac had finally touched onto the battlefield, his steed perched atop the blade of Luck while he held the blade of Pluck aloft. He looked over his shoulder at the wayward protestor, his skull mask making his glare all the more intimidating. "None of that," he said, holding eye contact until he was forced to sheepishly withdraw.[break][break]

With that, the glare eased off of his face, a cocky smirk spreading to take its place. "Guess I just couldn't stay away, huh?" he mused to the protestors, before turning to face Josh and Julia for the first time today. Sunny's wings fanned out like a living shield as protestor and Pokemon alike fell in line behind Isaac.[break][break]

Perhaps the two Rangers would notice a few of the Pokemon looking a little too natural ranked up like this. A Rhyhorn that stood in front of one protestor, head lowered and horn glimmering. A strange, trenchcoated protestor that, upon closer examination, seemed to be a swarm of Wishiwashi contorted into the shape of a person. A Cubone with an icy chill in his eyes and a frost-marked bone. Julia may have even recognized a few that Josh didn't, such as a Bisharp with a scarred-up eye and a cool, confident-looking Blastoise.[break][break]

"See? De-escalation's not that hard," Isaac teased, gesturing to both the slumbering officers and the protestors being kept in check behind Sunny's wingspan. "Now, how about we keep it that way, and you let these fine people air their grievances in peace?"[break][break]

He knew it'd never be that easy. But all hell already threatened to break loose. He didn't have anything left to lose from trying.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto][/div]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 9:40:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The chanting was drowning out Julia's voice, making it difficult for Josh to hear her. He had to cup his hands over the sides of his ears just to understand his loyal Ranger coworker. "Between you and me, Julia...they may have. It's not just here. I've been to other large cities where police violence has been an issue," he replied with a dejected nod. This was a very hot-button topic not just in Hoenn or Johto, but across the world. Furthermore, it was often not in the best interest of lawmakers to enact laws that would curb police violence. Outlawing dark money would go a long way, but dark money itself was a hot button topic, and one that was very difficult to fix due to the obvious conflict of interest. "This is why every region should have a board with independent jurisprudence that oversees only those in positions of power. But that's an endless debate on its own." As much as Josh wanted to speak his mind about regional politics, now was not the time

Once he was off the phone, Josh faced Julia again. The situation was already escalating, and it would continue to do so until backup arrived. "Mic's yours if you have words you think will help," the Mauville Leader gestured. "I'm not great at public speaking, as I'm sure you know. I love everything about being a Gym Leader except being a public face." Aslan walked toward Josh, the stressed Leader embracing the Pyroar. The vibration from his loud purr was picked up on the microphone too, causing him to flinch. Despite that, the affection his king lion showed him helped him relax.

Unbeknownst to him, Ex Machina's intervention was at least partially successful, confusing the police by triangulating his position to a pizzeria on the exact opposite of town from where the protests were taking place. This would further delay the arrival of their backup, and it would be far more dangerous than he could ever have imagined. A TAILWIND carrying SPORE clouds carpeted the protesters and the officers indiscriminately, all of them succumbing to the weight of their heavy eyelids. Though he was out of range, he couldn't hold a yawn of his own back, and neither could Aslan.

A Crobat bore on top of Josh at blistering speed, announcing its presence with a sonic boom that scared him. He was used to hearing sonic explosions from riding Resheph, as well as Saber with his new Z-Move, but they were far more jarring when unexpected. "...You!!!" Josh shouted, recognizing the assassin astride the Crobat. "First at the jail, then at my Gym, and now in the very streets of my hometown?!" Josh shook his fist, Aslan snarling toward the masked Isaac. He had lost it. "Peace?! After trying to take my life not once, but twice, you are not one to speak of peace! Furthermore, they were anything but peaceful!" Without saying a word, he climbed atop the snarling Pyroar. He was being a bit flippant with his tone and word choice, particularly considering he did not have Yagyu at his side to defend himself with this time! "Just tell me! Why do you want my life?!"

{WC: 535}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2022 21:13:58 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia caught the eye of one of the protesters as their face fell in what they saw as betrayal. The word "liar" flew over the crowd and jabbed itself in Julia's ear. What other choice do we have? she asked herself as she watched the crowd prepare for another violent bout. Two people have already died. Isn't that enough? Why can't they just stop? But of course, it wasn't that simple. Julia knew that, but she didn't fully comprehend the depths of it. She wasn't sure if she ever could.

[break][break]She wasn't sure if she ever wanted to.

[break][break]Josh's confession that the cops might have shot first was like a knife through her heart. His next words came in muffled, like Julia had been dragged underwater and Josh was just calmly talking from above the surface instead of reaching down to help. "That... That can't be right," Julia said, voice so quiet that she wouldn't be surprised if the chanting drowned her out completely.

[break][break]Suddenly, the microphone looked more like a weapon aimed at its speaker. One wrong word and it'd fire. Only it wouldn't be a bullet; it'd be an overflow of tension that spurred further violence and mayhem. Julia wouldn't have told them to start fighting again, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she'd still feel at least partially responsible if she said the wrong thing.

[break][break]Julia took a deep breath. This wasn't the time to develop stage fright. She had to do something if she wanted to stop this. She walked toward the mic, that name swirling in her head again: Jack Pile. What had been the name of the private who'd been trampled? Julia wished she knew; they both deserved to have respects paid to them. But for now, she only had one name to work with: Jack Pile. That would have to do.

[break][break]A sonic boom echoed across the city before Julia could even say one word. The mic picked up her surprised gasp as she looked up to see a wind blowing from above, spores dancing in its currents. They were diffused by the force of the gale, but they were still enough to cause officers and frontline protesters alike to sink into slumber. Julia stepped back and covered her mouth with one hand to hide the yawn that was forcibly sucked into her lungs.

[break][break]"What the heck...?" she asked mid-yawn. She looked to Josh to see if he had an answer.

[break][break]"Now's our chance!" one of the protesters shouted, grabbing a lead pipe off the ground and running forward.

[break][break]"No!" Julia cried, snapped to full awakeness. "Chester—!"

[break][break]A blood-red sword—no, a Pokémon—stabbed into the ground in front of the protester with enough force to crack the pavement before Julia could get a command out. The protester nearly tripped over himself as he skidded to a halt. A shadow descended over the Sword Pokémon, and a Crobat covered in luminescent patterns lowered itself into view. And atop that Crobat...

[break][break]"You!" Julia shouted. Blackjack, the skull-masked Rocket Julia had had a few run-ins with before. A criminal and an enigma, a foe one moment and an ally the next. Julia realized that many of the Pokémon in the crowd of protestors looked familiar: the Rhyhorn that had aided in Blackjack's escape, the Bisharp that had nearly run her over with a motorcycle, the Blastoise Blackjack had ridden to chase after the maritime poachers... Was that trenchcoated protester actually a school of Wishiwashi?

[break][break]Josh lost it. Julia watched him, confused, as he shouted at the masked Rocket. "Josh, what are you talking about?" she asked. The man he'd described trying to kill him was supposed to be about six feet tall with a large, muscular build. She looked back at Blackjack. Blackjack the Rocket, not the DRK Triad member. The only thing the two had in common was the skull mask. There... There was no way this was the same guy who'd tried to kill Josh... right?

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 5:19:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]So he seriously believed that Isaac tried to take his life.[break][break]

Isaac folded his arms, part to continue projecting an image of power, but part to physically hold himself back. Frankly, the events at the Mauville Gym had been the worst night of Isaac's life. He'd thought he had figured everything out. He'd controlled all of the variables. He'd rehearsed his part perfectly. He'd done everything in his power to prepare the ultimate show, ready to live his friend with renewed confidence and preparation for the road ahead. Instead, the world's worst electrical wiring job left it all falling to pieces right before his eyes. He tried his hardest to salvage it, but every double down only made the situation worse.[break][break]

And now, despite an aversion to bloodshed that worsened every day, he had to hear the talking heads on the news repeat that he tried to assassinate the Mauville City Gym Leader. And now, standing here in a city he vowed to never set foot in again, he had to hear it from two people he considered dear friends.[break][break]

"If I was trying to take your life, that sure was a funny way of doing it," Isaac said. He tried his hardest to mask his voice in the cold contempt of a Rocket facing their natural foe. He really did. But genuine hurt bled into his voice. "What kind of assassin keeps watch over their target to make sure they're alive? Heals his target's wounds after the battle's passed? Tucks a pillow underneath their head? If that's what the League calls an assassination attempt, you're all weaker than I thought."[break][break]

How badly Isaac wanted to clear up the misconception. How badly he wanted to apologize for the blood on his hands, which no amount of misconceptions would change. How badly he wanted to stay far, far away from this monument to his sins. Yet he had his role to play and mask to wear. Were he to tell them the truth, would he ever be able to don it again? No. As always said, he needed to know when and how to harden his heart. Righteous indignation would do just the trick.[break][break]

A slight, subtle movement. He had taken a breath to compose himself. "When Rocket wants someone dead, they make sure that person is dead. There are dozens who would have seen you triumphantly flop over that finish line, shrugged, and slipped a knife right between your ribs," he continued. "If anything, that was a test. I wanted to see if you were prepared for the risks your new station put yourself in. In a way, you passed. But if this was how you performed against a mere lackey? One that had been holding back? Then you're still way out of your depth."[break][break]

With that off his chest, he turned back to the people assembled behind him. "But enough of this grudge. This isn't about you. This is about them." Battered. Weary. Quiet in the face of the current going-ons. With the officers asleep, the Pokemon took the lead among the crowd. Adrenaline fired Pollen Puffs at the frontliners to heal their wounds, while a Ralts, a Blastoise, and a Galarian Ponyta did their rounds to cover the rest.[break][break]

Some looked hopeful. Some looked doubtful. Some stood in stunned silence. Yet there was still an undeniable energy to them; this situation was still a powder keg.[break][break]

"They had done nothing, and one of their own had been killed. And now you demand they listen from one side of your mouth while judging them from the other." A fire seemed to spark from beneath Isaac's eyes. "If you wish for their compliance, gym leader, you need to prove to them that you're deserving of it."[break][break]

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST / @

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 16:43:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Now Josh felt bad. He had his assailant's physical description completely wrong. The masked Rocket before him was certainly his attempted murderer. He would recognize that mask and garb anywhere, now that he was in better shape. The NEVER-ENDING NIGHTMARE he was subject to not only pierced his physical body, but his cognizance that day, as well. Blackjack's presence jogged and corrected the memory he had. "This is him! He's the one that tried to kill me! Twice!"

Though it was inadvertent, his testimony had led the police completely in the wrong direction. With him having a correct height and build, it would not have taken the League long to narrow their search and start a manhunt for the one he did not know was . He heard the short one spouting perceived nonsense about being kept alive. Even the pillow Josh woke up to. It was all true. Had Isaac not comforted him that day, he would have been forced into early retirement. He would never have been able to race again.

Was all of what the masked man was saying true?

No. No way. Impossible.

"Why should I believe a word you say?!" he shouted back. If he kept that level of emotion up, his voice would be added to the list of things Blackjack had taken from him. "A test?! The Rocket I know wouldn't 'test' anyone! Not the Rocket that separated me from my family!"

The mention of him holding back, and trying to deflect the conversation toward the raucous crowd, sent the Gym Leader off the deep end. "That's...IT!" he shouted before turning to Julia with an expression of pure fury she did not deserve. "Julia, I will leave oversight of this operation to you. Because this matter... this is PERSONAL!!" The livid Gym Leader grabbed Saber's Poké Ball, the Manectric just as confused as Julia likely was about what happened. "THUNDER WAVE him!" was Josh's stern command. The yellow Pokémon tilted his head toward his trainer with a pleading look in his eyes. "YOU HEARD ME!" It pained the Manectric to see this side of Josh. Reluctantly, he obeyed the order and attempted to jolt and tase the masked man.

{WC: 368}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 20:19:18 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Oh, stars, this was totally the guy who'd tried to kill Josh. "Wait, twice?!" Julia practically squeaked out.

[break][break]What Blackjack said next didn't line up with what Julia would have imagined an assassin to say. (Okay, to be fair, she didn't actually know what an assassin would say, but it definitely wasn't what Blackjack said.) He'd healed Josh's wounds? Left a pillow under his head? His accusation that the League was weak had the bite of a bona fide Rocket to it, but the rest... the rest sounded more like the Blackjack that Julia had worked with before.

[break][break]She saw the Rocket's subtle movement but didn't know what to make of it. Not like she had time to think on it, though, with his chilling words of how if Rocket wanted someone dead, they'd be dead. A test...? The more Julia listened, the more it all matched up with the Blackjack she—sort of—knew. But why? What were his motives? Julia didn't get to ask; Blackjack redirected attention back to the protesters, the real reason they were all here. She looked to Josh for his response.

[break][break]But all she saw was unbridled rage that made her eyes widen in shock.

[break][break]She barely registered him handing over the reins of the operation to her. He sent out Saber and commanded the Manectric to Thunder Wave Blackjack. Julia saw the pleading look he gave his trainer. Josh ignored it and shouted for his Pokémon to obey him. Saber was clearly reluctant, but he still began to build up the electricity needed for the Thunder Wave.

[break][break]Everything about this was all wrong. Blackjack had stopped to comfort her when she was scared and had helped her bring some poachers to justice, even when she'd been on Rocket waters. He was a criminal, yeah, and that wasn't something Julia could so easily separate from her thoughts on him, but she couldn't reconcile his surprisingly chill moments with the assassin Josh was claiming him to be. And more importantly, this wasn't the Josh she knew. He could be brash, sure, but he had a good heart. Seeing and hearing that fury directed at her and his own Pokémon was just too much.

[break][break]"Stop!"

[break][break]Only Chester's keen observation of his trainer kept her from running forward to halt the Thunder Wave herself. Instead, Chester ran between Saber and Blackjack, taking the jolt himself. He let out a warbling squawk as his legs twitched, paralyzed by the shock. His right head glared at Josh through the pain and stiffness. The left looked worriedly at Julia. The middle seemed to be looking apologetically at Saber.

[break][break]"Chester!" Julia cried. Too many emotions were stirring inside her like the world's worst cocktail: confusion over Blackjack's words, worry over Chester and the entire protest, disbelief over pretty much everything that she'd seen and heard since arriving... and even some anger of her own.

[break][break]"What are you doing?!" she snapped at Josh, all of those feelings bursting out at once. "Can't you see that Saber doesn't want to do this? And what about the protesters? What if another fight breaks out because of all this? I don't want anyone else to get hurt!" And that, she realized, included Blackjack.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2022 3:23:33 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Josh was right. Rocket had no reason to test a fledgling gym leader. But Rocket also had no reason to safeguard a protest, risking their own . Rocket had no reason to stop that protest from escalating, when it may have served their purposes better to let it boil over into insanity.[break][break]

"I don't let where I'm from define me," Isaac said. If he did, he'd never be able to live with himself. "I have to do what I have to do. But outside that? I'm my own man." It was easier said than done, if he was being honest. He was still an accessory to Rocket's sins, no matter how much good he tried to do in the margins. And that included what Josh said; just how deep did these scars run?[break][break]

There wouldn't be time to ask. Josh tried to spur his Manectric to attack, even in the face of its reluctance. And Julia was trying to stop it. "N-!" he started, only to bite down on his tongue and stop his outburst. He was concerned for the girl's rashness, but he couldn't let that show. Not like this.[break][break]

Besides, her Pokemon had the situation under control. With one head pushing Julia back, Chester barreled forward, taking that Thunder Wave like a champ. Its legs went first wobbly, then all too rigid. It let out a squawk of pain, leaving Isaac wondering just how much pepper had been put behind a normally nonlethal attack. And in its eyes, three faces bore three emotions; anger, concern, and guilt.[break][break]

Rangers fighting rangers. Had Isaac not loved both of these two so dearly, it would have been the perfect chance to crack a joke about Piegate. Instead, he forced himself to swallow down his pain. There was a role he had to play. "This feud doesn't concern you, ranger," he said, voice low and tense. "Stay out of it. His mistakes are his to make." And Isaac's, too, were his own, made in months past and scarred into memory.[break][break]

Yet he couldn't help but notice the shift in the crowd's momentum. Those who had felt betrayed by Julia looked almost guilty at her efforts to safeguard their spearhead. Others looked towards her as if seeing her for the first time. A few on the sidelines cracked jokes about "ranger on ranger violence," but these few loudmouths were quickly shushed down. Had there been a sea change? Noticing this, Isaac cast his gaze back to Julia. "But if you're gonna insist on staying, keep an eye on the crowd, okay? Make sure they're safe, whatever happens next."[break][break]

At his words, the crowd parted some. It was as if they were allowing Chester to stagger to safety within their ranks.[break][break]

With a tap to the side, he guided Sunny up, no longer leaving his left Doublade implanted in the ground. Now, with both blades in hand and his mount airborne, he waited. In a change of pace from his interruption at the prison break, or his assault on Mauville Gym, Isaac refused to take the first move.[break][break]

The ball was in Josh's court now.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2022 22:34:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Just as Saber launched the stunning THUNDER WAVE in Blackjack's direction, Julia yelled at Josh to stop the battle. Chester, a Pokémon with a weakness to electricity, ran heads-long into the Manectric's attack. The lower-ranked Ranger seemed to be genuinely concerned about the way he was treating Saber. And she had every right to be. "Julia, stay out of this!" he shouted back, still lost in his anger toward Blackjack. "This has nothing to do with you! Now you make sure the police can break this crowd up! Now GO! Before you get hurt!" Even his dancing partner was giving pushback. No amount of pushback was going to get him to back down in his escalated state. "GO DO YOUR JOB, and STAY OUT OF MY PERSONAL AFFAIRS! Interfere again, and I can't promise you won't get hurt!!"

None of what Isaac said at first was making sense to him. In the Leader's eyes, Rocket owned the souls of every single member of their ranks, effectively depriving them of their free will. Those in defiance didn't make it in Rocket long. And those who didn't make it in Rocket didn't make it anywhere except to their graves. The Leader got his Pyroar, Aslan, involved in the battle too. Still in the saddle, Josh cupped his hands around his mouth in a Z-Pose before spreading them wide, imitating an explosion of sound coming from his mouth as he screamed:

"EMPEROR'S ROYAL ROAR!!!"

Not a moment sooner than he could without compromising the primal bellow's effectiveness, Josh covered his ears. He felt the deep inhale his mount took, followed by almost throttling vibration from the Z-Powered sonic discharge amplified through nearby loudspeakers. The sound rumbled through the town square, the microphone and speakers going dead in volleys of sparks shortly afterward.

The deafening shockwave hurtled in Isaac's and Sunny's direction. While it would not harm Luck & Pluck, it would severely weaken any Pokémon that was near them. Furthermore, Josh, Aslan, Saber, and Julia and Chester if they were still near, would find their morale and strength substantially augmented.

"AND THAT IS MY ANSWER!"

{WC: 349}
{PC: 5}

ooc: 1K POSTS BAYBEEEEEEEEEE

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
End of a Life [M]
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2022 21:37:47 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia didn't quite understand what Blackjack meant about not letting where he was from define him, but then she was reminded of what he had said about the kinds of people who joined Team Rocket. It wasn't just immoral opportunists and psychos; it was the downtrodden, the desperate, the people who felt like they had no other option. Julia still didn't believe that Rocket was the best choice for them, but that didn't stop them from joining. They weren't all irredeemable monsters, at least not at first, and Blackjack was proof of that. After all, he'd stopped the protest from swelling into violence for a second time rather than capitalizing on it to prove a point against the League or something.

[break][break]Josh didn't see that, though. He still saw Blackjack as a member of the group that had separated him from his family and a man who'd tried to kill him twice now. If it were anyone else, Julia would be firmly on her fellow Ranger's side, but Josh was blinded by his anger and stoking the fire that the two had been trying to put out mere moments ago. She hoped that Chester's interference would snap Josh out of it; after all, he'd essentially just attacked a friend, right? That had to knock some sense back into him!

[break][break]But it didn't. Instead, when Julia opened her mouth to protest that this feud did concern her because Josh was her friend, Josh shouted at her to stay out of this. Her opened mouth went slack with hurt shock. Was he really okay with letting Julia get hurt for trying to stop this madness?

[break][break]No. No, this couldn't be the Josh that Julia knew. She refused to believe it was. His rage and hatred had turned him into someone else, and she didn't like him.

[break][break]Below, the mob's momentum had shifted. A few members cracked jokes about Ranger-on-Ranger violence, but the rest formed a seawall to stop those waves from spreading. At Blackjack's suggestion, much calmer than Josh's, that Julia protect the protesters from the ensuing battle, the crowd parted a bit. Blackjack's Crobat rose higher in the air, but he didn't make any other moves. In that momentary pause, Julia looked between Josh and the Chester-sized dent in the crowd. The latter seemed far, far more welcoming at that moment.

[break][break]"Fine," Julia said, voice colder than perhaps either man had heard it before. She led Chester toward the crowd, gently stroking his back as he struggled with his paralysis. Luckily, she was pretty sure she had some Paralyze Heal on her, so once they were—

[break][break]"EMPEROR'S ROYAL ROAR!!!"

[break][break]Oh, that probably wasn't good. "Everyone, cover your ears!" Julia shouted before recalling Chester into his Poké Ball and covering her own. A moment later, the sonic discharge overloaded the loudspeakers. Even with her ears covered, the sound made Julia flinch. The speakers went dead in volleys of sparks, a weirdly relieving sound. When the noise had passed, Julia's eyes opened, fire flashing within her pupils. In a way, the Z-Move had had its intended effect of augmenting Julia's strength and morale. Even if she couldn't stop this battle, Julia would stop anyone else from getting hurt, no matter what.

[break][break]"Everyone, make room!" This time, Julia's shout was more collected and confident. She replaced Chester's Poké Ball on her belt and sent out her Hisuian Goodra. "Snaily, I need your help protecting everyone. If something happens, I need you to Shelter these people, all right?" Snaily let out an eager squeak, happy to help, and gave her trainer a gooey hug for good measure. Julia patted her Pokémon on the back, not wanting to get too much slime on her hands right now.

[break][break]There was one group of people still way too close to the battlefield, though: the cops. The protesters probably wouldn't be too happy with them being woken up, but Julia couldn't just leave them there, unable to defend themselves. She sought out the young officer who'd said they hadn't received an order earlier and hurried over to her.